Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Jason Jarvis > Reviews

Browse

Jason Jarvis' Profile

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason Jarvis RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
U2: From The Sky Down
U2: From The Sky Down
DVD ~ u2
Offered by Great Price Media
Price: $13.95
27 used & new from $5.50

4.0 out of 5 stars I felt like it could have done with a little more music ..., June 19, 2015
This review is from: U2: From The Sky Down (DVD)
I felt like it could have done with a little more music of the making of AB and a little less modern blathering about it. But the quality of the presentation is great and a few choice scenes of the band actually working on the music before it's finalized are great.

Amalfi Coast Recipes
Amalfi Coast Recipes
by Amanda Tabberer
24 used & new from $22.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Amalfi coast food., June 19, 2015
This review is from: Amalfi Coast Recipes (Hardcover)
Great book. Good photos. Great recipes. Tough conversions from metric though. If you're an American cook like me you will find yourself eyeballing stuff a lot.

Chase Under Pressure (Chase Manning Mystery Series) (Volume 3)
Chase Under Pressure (Chase Manning Mystery Series) (Volume 3)
by Steve Reifman
Price: $6.99
15 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "probably one of the best books ever.", June 19, 2015
My son said this is "probably one of the best books ever." Who am I to disagree? The plot and context of the book are like a child-based "24"; great pace and a fast fun read.

The Broken Eye (Lightbringer Book 3)
The Broken Eye (Lightbringer Book 3)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars boring third book should have been skipped., September 26, 2014
I was really disappointed with this. I thought the first book was great, and the second book showed promise. But this book just labored. The Main Character of the first two books spends nearly this entire book in chains (literally), getting weaker and lamer as the book goes on. As to other characters, it felt like Mr. Weeks doesn't know who he wants to be his protagonists.

I still think the writing is good and the conversations witty (though I hate the anachronism of modern American cuss words), but plot wise this felt like books 8-10 of the Wheel of Time series. NOTHING HAPPENS and you are just waiting for the plot to move forward. Another analogy would be stretching the one book Hobbit into three movies.

I agree with other reviewers who surmised a three book series was stretched to four. I get that these guys have mortgages to pay, too, but I'm still disappointed.

The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastards)
The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastards)
by Scott Lynch
86 used & new from $2.06

2.0 out of 5 stars Abrasive and confusing., January 30, 2014
I've never a read a more angry novel in my life. I couldn't finish parts of it it was so dour and depressive. There is so much hyperbole and expectoration, I felt like I was reading a NWA rap song transported into a fantasy medieval world.

Don't get me wrong, the author is a strong writer. But after a while it just felt wearisome. Maybe I'll read some of his other stuff. But if I wanted angry bombast I get enough of that in real life.

(As an aside, although I get that "modern fantasy" has really embraced it, I still find the use of modern cuss words to be anachronistic and offputting.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 8:51 AM PST

To Light a Candle: The Obsidian Trilogy, Book Two (The Obsidian Mountain Trilogy)
by Mercedes Lackey
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.99
138 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A great disappointment, May 20, 2013
I must say that I forged through the first book in this series, perpetually bored by the character's stark simplicity and the story's long-before hashed out plotlines, hoping and expecting this book would pick up the pace of the story and character development. I was sadly mistaken.

Book 2 is worse. The characters do not grow, they do not have any more depth than what they appeared to have at their first introduction in book one, and they don't advance the derivative story. The major characters are all absolutely what they seem. They are all more like caricatures than individuals. This is the sort of writing I would expect from a talented high schooler. I'm shocked at how popular this author is and how accomplished. I urge the reader who hasn't delved into this series not to bother: check out any number of other modern fantasy authors first.

(As an aside, I find this series (at least books 1 and 2 since I stopped and never read 3) to be so disappointing in particular because I thought Crown of Prophecy, which I read first, was SO well written and complex. I guess either Ms. Lackey improved that much in a few years or her co-authors were far different).

Crown of Vengeance (Dragon Prophecy)
Crown of Vengeance (Dragon Prophecy)
by Mercedes Lackey
62 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story and well written, May 20, 2013
I randomly picked up this book never having heard of the author(s). I was pleasantly surprised at the strong writing and engaging story. It appears to be the first in a trilogy, the second two books are not out yet. The only thing I found keeping this book from five stars was the failure to distinguish significantly between certain minor characters, many of whom had very long and obtrusive names, so I lost track of everyone but the main character. That, however, was enough. Good book.

Samsung UN40EH6000 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)
Samsung UN40EH6000 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful television once you get used to the 120hz tracking, August 15, 2012
When you go from a 720p plasma to a 1080p 120hz LED, you will be struck by how much crisper and clearer the image is but how it's almost "too realistic." Others have commented on this and I've read enough about it to understand the technical reasoning and learn how to minimize it, but I still find it weird and hard to get used to. In any event, that's about all I can complain about. I got this from Amazon on a price match for $580; with free shipping and no tax that makes it by far the best deal I've ever seen on this television or anything comparable. We got the 40" version and it looks fantastic in the bedroom (might be a tad small in a large living room).

The picture and sound are great. I've had Samsungs for years and never had one break or had a single even minor problem with them. My six year old plasma is still going strong (just in a different room). I don't see why you need all those internet apps -- even if you want to watch Hulu most people can do it through a different peripheral -- and thus spending up for more features seemed inefficient to us.

I can't imagine getting a nicer television for the money.

[UPDATE: Almost three years after purchase the television power went dead, as in "zero power" dead. Out of warranty and very frustrated, I hope Samsung takes this seriously.]
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2012 2:32 PM PDT

Skiva PowerFlow 2.1Amp / 10Watt (Fast) Car Charger (Now with Improved Cable) for new iPad, iPhone 4S 4 3GS, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone, iPad, & iPod

4.0 out of 5 stars Works good., October 20, 2011
The product seems more solid than competitors; it plugged into my lighter socket easily but firmly; and I like the green light saying it's on. It could have used a little mark showing up and down on the iphone plug-in part, but not a big deal. I'd say it's a fair product for the price but not amazing.

Sons of Fenris (Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf)
Sons of Fenris (Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf)
by Lee Lightner
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
60 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This may be the worst book I've ever (started to) read, August 20, 2009
I won't take up too much time; the top review nails it. But I have to add a few comments.

First, this book contained the worst written paragraph I've ever read in a major release novel (i.e., anything not written by my five year old son). It said, paraphrasing:

"The men were concerned and the leader was also concerned. Their honor had been hurt by the flight from the Spacewolves. So the leader said to them that their duty was to their chapter and their honor as well. The men were satisfied, their honor restored."

I'm exaggerating, but not by much. The authors have apparently not read the other much better descriptions of Astartes. They have not thought through how improbable openly firing on fellow Astartes (who are not of Chaos) would be. Fine. They don't know the lexicon, I could still deal, but the writing was so atrocious I couldn't get past it. It was written not just for a 14-year old audience, but by 14-year olds. In fact, I would not be at all surprised to learn they are teenage authors. Good for them! Now go to college and take English classes to learn how to write.

I can count on one hand the number of books I've started and not finished. Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan. Temple of the Winds by Terry Goodkind. And now Sons of Fenris.

Please do not buy or even borrow this book. You will lose thousands of brain cells just holding it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2011 8:24 PM PST