Profile for The Critter > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Critter "DaveMo" RSS Feed (Corvallis, OR)

Page: 1 | 2
Wildwood Imperium: The Wildwood Chronicles, Book III
Wildwood Imperium: The Wildwood Chronicles, Book III
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars where you get dropped on your fontanelle as an infant, July 14, 2014
The best of the trilogy, our heroes pass into adolescent maturity overcoming (barely & with luck), not one, but three increasingly challenging adversaries- the final a supreme force of nature bent on nothing less than the utter devastation of not just Wildwood, but the "Outside" world as well! I caught many well crafted passages reminding me strongly of master storyteller Ray Bradbury in this wonderful book. If you've been following this story from the first book, you won't be disappointed in this final(?) masterpiece!

Something More Than Night
Something More Than Night
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $11.04

3.0 out of 5 stars GOD has nothing to do with it…, December 31, 2013
I don't know if the abstract concepts of high level quantum physic theorems actually translate as analogies to common, earthly physical phenomenon such as waves crashing against a shoreline or correspond to the arcane ecclesiastical hierarchy of the heavenly seraphim host, but, it sure reads well don't you think?

Epic
Epic
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars Ferngully Done Right, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Epic (Amazon Instant Video)
Ferngully story concept but without the heavy-handed eco-bludgeoning or Tim Curry. Cute story. Well done CG animation. Good acting. Good for family viewing of all ages.

House of Marley EM-JE010-MI People Get Ready Jammin In-Ear Headphone - Midnight (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by The Green Room
Price: $28.00
6 used & new from $24.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Come Get Some Wood, Baby!, March 19, 2013
Bought two pairs of these on a popular "Deal-A-Day" wootsite for my wife and I at Xmas because my suckscandy earbuds just weren't cutting it, audio-wise and quality-wise. I was so impressed I bought a second pair for myself here! First off- these things are so comfortable, you'll forget you're wearing them. Next, these buds have an amazing sound! crisp, but not tinny high frequencies; Thumping bass notes; warm, clear middle tones. I can say you can't get better quality sound at twice or three times the cost of these sweet buds! One thing to note however, is these suckers LIKE IT LOUD! If you want to hear all your musical goodness on these, be prepared to crank up the volume brothers and sisters! Otherwise, the lower mid-tones will sound slightly muddy and unclear.

One Love.

UPDATE - 5/25/13:
I have not had any quality or manufacturing issues with these earbuds to date. I use them every day and treat them with casual care. They still sound great and I no problems with them falling apart. If there is one possible manufacturing problem it's the fact that the buds are made of wood and can crack or break in extreme events (like getting closed in a car door by accident). In fact, my wife managed to break the right wood enclosure of her pair in just such a mishap. Fortunately, the wiring and all remained intact and I was able to use some epoxy putty to replace the damaged wood and repair the earbud and they still sound and work fine.

Men's Swiss Army Style Watchband - Color Brown Size: 16mm Watch Band - by JP Leatherworks

4.0 out of 5 stars OEM Quality - Amazon Value, March 19, 2013
My original Casio Forester watchband had finally given up the goat- uh, I mean "ghost". Anyway, fortunately, I found this near identical replacement! It arrived in a sealed plastic bag in less than a week of ordering and well before the estimated arrival date- as usual. The color and style, while not an exact match for the OEM band, match the watch body perfectly, making the watch look almost new. And hopefully, it will hold up to wear and tear of the original watch band so I don't have to replace another watch before the battery wears out.

Web Development Recipes
Web Development Recipes
by Brian Hogan
Price: $25.14
64 used & new from $16.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick Reference for the Savvy Web Developer, March 17, 2013
It's okay to admit it- we can't all be uber, know-it-all, web developers and designers. Just confront this truth and you're on your way to recovery, my friend! But on the other hand, you don't need to let your friends and clients know the whole truth, either. That's where this book can help you with your "dirty little secret".

Has this ever happened to you? You're working on a website or webpage and want to add some extra functionality. You know it can be done- you've seen it used on other sites, but you're not exactly sure how it's done. Whip out this handy "cookbook" and you'll be building 12-column, flexible layout, jQuery functioning, HTML 5 web pages faster than Paula Dean can deep fry a Moon Pie - and with less calories too! And your client need be none the wiser if you don't want them to. Bonus Power-Up!

You need this book. Just get it and move on.

Oakley Men's Pit Bull Sunglasses,Metallic Black Frame/Grey Lens,One Size
Oakley Men's Pit Bull Sunglasses,Metallic Black Frame/Grey Lens,One Size

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Excellent Value!, March 17, 2013
I paid almost half the retail price for these shades, which is about $180 from my comparison shopping. Sure you can get other off-brand polarized sunglasses way cheaper, but I've found that often, value and price go hand in hand and you can get the best of both with a little comparison shopping and the willingness to pay a bit more for the quality. This purchase has proved the wisdom of that philosophy for me, again.

I like to put my glasses on top of my head when not using them and wanted a pair that would grip my head and not slip off. The shape, design, lightness (which concerned me at first) and rubberized surfaces on these frames accomplished that requirement perfectly.

I ordered these because I help coach my son's Special Olympic Snowshoe team and needed something for the state finals. These arrived ahead of schedule (as usual with Amazon) and I gave them a good testing in the bright sun and snow. They were so light, comfortable and wrapped around so well, I often forgot that I was wearing them! And since I drive a commuter van every day, I'll be using these on a daily basis from now on.

Breda Men's 8137_orange "Jaxon" Thick Bold Black Bezel Silicone Band Watch
Breda Men's 8137_orange "Jaxon" Thick Bold Black Bezel Silicone Band Watch

2.0 out of 5 stars Wall Clock for Your Wrist, March 1, 2013
The images for this timepiece are just a bit deceptive... this thing is HUGE! I read the reviews, most only mentioned a slightly larger than normal size but honestly, it's like wearing a classroom wall clock on your wrist! Certainly, the images show a slightly larger than usual wristwatch, but in reality, this thing is proportioned for a particularly, exceptionally large being! Don't believe me? check out the photos I've added to the product review! Crazy, man, crazy. On the other hand, perhaps this is the fashion these days- larger, funny book style fashion watches. I don't know. I saw an affordable simple to read watch which was exactly what I wanted. What I received was this farcically exaggerated freak of a timepiece! (The one positive comment I can add is it WAS packaged very nicely.) I must say Fortunately, Amazon's return process is awesome and I got this returned within days of unpacking it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yet, March 7, 2011
Of the last couple of Bluetooth headsets I've owned and used, this is the best yet. Pairs easily and quickly with my iPhone 4. Produces a clear, quality sound stream within a reasonable distance from the phone and is VERY comfortable to wear. Putting all the electronics in a neckless design is GENIUS and keeps the weight off your ears and head and totally elimiinates the Star Wars Lobot appearance of the other units (and the associated weird stares). Using magnets to dock the earbuds at the ends of the neckless part is brilliant too, keeping tangling to an absolute minimum.

Controls are easy to use once you're familiar with where they are around your neck - left side is phone activation and volume/effects controls, right is player start/pause and next/previous/FF/Rev. Battery charge seems to last about 5 to 6 hours. I haven't had anyone complain about the microphone quality yet but, because it's down around your neck, collars or other clothing may get in the way and cause distortion.

Sound quality is very acceptable. Crisp highs and clear mid tones, with an acceptable bass response if you're not playing booming rock or rap. There are about three or four "equalizer" effects that can boost the bass a little or give you a more spatial sound quality, but to my ears they're very subtile changes to the "normal" setting.

If there are durability issues*(see edit), I'll revise this post at that time, but so far, for the price, these are the hands-down winner of any of the Bluetooth stereo headsets I've seen or used out there. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

****[UPDATE]****
After several months of constant daily use, the left channel wires have apparently frayed at the point they enter the neckband, causing the channel to quit. However, up to this point they have performed awesomely! 6 to 8 hours of run time with only 2 hours maximum charge. Very comfortable with intuitive controls you become very accustomed to. There are so many great things about this headset that I'm loathed to part with them for repairs. I may break down and buy another set.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2013 10:44 PM PDT

SoundGate M2 German Engineered Mount for iPod, iPhone, Nano, Touch, Classic, Garmin, Cell Phone, Blackberry, Zune, MP3 or other Portable Device to Dash or Console

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product and a Solid Value, July 3, 2010
UPDATE - 03/06/11:
I've been using this mount daily for nearly a year now and I'm still very impressed with it's quality, strength and value for the money! Particularly now that the price has dropped significantly. In fact I just ordered a second mount for my new car and new iPhone 4! If you want something effective to hold your small electronic device - iPhone, iPod/MP3 player, GPS, etc. - I highly recommend it! However, I would NOT recommend it for an iPad, Kindle or other such larger device.

It's very important to understand that following the instructions precisely is critical to successfully mounting this holder. Also, this thing attaches PERMANENTLY to whatever you want to mount it to and whatever you want it to hold. But if you are very certain of how and where you want to use this before purchasing it and mounting it and you'll have one of the best device holders out there for the money. Seriously. There ARE ways to use this that won't mess up your car's interior finish or require permanent attachment to the dash or console, but you'll have to be a bit handy with simple tools and familiar with your local hardware store.

Hardware consists of a small metal plate (apprx: 1" X 2") with a very small threaded stem sticking up from it that attaches to your dash or where ever with an adhesive pad and a lot of abrasive rubbing with a solvent towelette. There is also a small plastic disc that attaches permanently to whatever item/device you want it to hold with similar adhesive and solvent rubbing, but once it's on it's very unobtrusive and doesn't seem to get in the way. To avoid mounting this disc directly to my iPhone, I bought an inexpensive clip-on shell (Cozip for my iPhone 2G or Elago for my iPhone 4) and mounted the disc to that and it works great! My iPhone slips in and out of my belt holster with ease even with the disc.

What will amaze you is how steady and sturdy this thing is considering its size. It's not much bigger than an iPod Nano or small cell phone! Once you have the holder adjusted, positioned and tightened, mounting your device is simply a matter of sliding the disc into the holder and then a quarter turn cinches it into place! Maybe 2 seconds to get it in or out of the mount. The friction fit of the disc to the holder is strong enough to hold my iPhone in either vertical or horizontal positions too.

Like I said, I've been using this thing DAILY for nearly a year and everything is fine, nothing's broken or fallen off or come unstuck. Rock solid. Straight up.

Just do your research, be absolutely certain where you want to mount it and pay close attention to the product's instructions and I think you'll be very happy with it too.

Page: 1 | 2