Profile for Scruffy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scruffy RSS Feed (Arkansas, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Rescue Tape RT1000201206USCO
Rescue Tape RT1000201206USCO
Price: Click here to see our price
21 used & new from $4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Never knew I needed it till I bought it!, March 24, 2013
This product is GREAT! I use it for everything. I wrapped it around the gear shift lever of my motorcycle and now my shoes don't get that black stain on top of the left toe. I have used it to repair hoses and a bunch of other things I may have just thrown away in the past. I used it to water proof some electrical connections on my motorcycle and car. My golf league allows one to carry a "rock club", so I added a layer to the grip to get a softer more secure grip on it. I used it to quiet the trailer hitch of my SUV by wrapping the hitch with a layer and re inserting it into the receiver.

It really is self sticking and durable. It is one of those products that you will just keep finding uses for. I now have it in two colors and clear!

The Dr. Bob Rotella CD Collection
The Dr. Bob Rotella CD Collection
by Dr Bob Rotella
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $28.36
32 used & new from $19.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information for the amatuer that wants to imporve., March 24, 2013
I am not a person to look for Guru's or sages. I like someone who provides solid information and recommendations. Dr. Rotella fits this description! The presentation is not swing theory but about the mental approach to playing YOUR best golf. We all have some measure of ability. I believe that this book helps one play closer to one's potential.

Dr. Rotella provides anecdotes from his experience helping PGA pro's and others. He explains how to get in the proper frame of mind to both focus and relax. His explanation of "what" and "how" has helped me relax and have more confidence in my game. The result has been more consistency in my game, fewer big errors, and the ability to forget a poor shot and get back in the groove.

I have found that after reading the book and now occasionally playing the CDs I have been able to implement his teaching to a satisfying degree. The book and now the CDs have really helped both my scores and my enjoyment of the game. (13 handicap 65+ year old putzer. )

The Homecoming
The Homecoming
Price: $14.68
12 used & new from $10.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, easy listening, March 24, 2013
This review is from: The Homecoming (Audio CD)
Tired of rap or mindless rock? This is smooth flowing music for someone not wishing to be the target of "boom and scream". Flowing, subtle presentation that can be background music while entertaining or when you just want to relax and listen to well executed easy listening.

Dr. No (James Bond)
Dr. No (James Bond)
by Ian Fleming
Price: $9.75
59 used & new from $2.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally got around to reading it, March 24, 2013
This review is from: Dr. No (James Bond) (Paperback)
After seeing the movie a number of times I was curious to read the book. I found the author painted an interesting picture of the personality of James Bond. He is a little darker than the impression one gets from the movie. The story moves slowly through the first few chapters and accelerates through the challenges, successes and failures of Bond as he is pitted against the Dr No organization all while getting to know and trying to protect the "bond girl".

Not the work of a literary genius, but entertaining and different enough from the movie to provide easy to read entertainment.

Running Injury-Free: How to Prevent, Treat and Recover from Dozens of Painful Problems
by Joe Ellis
157 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to keep around, April 21, 2012
Runners come in two groups: those who run and have been injured and didn't like it. Those who run and haven't been injured and don't want to be.

Basically there is no perfect plan to prevent ever getting any running injury except not to run. That is not an option for me. There is good information here that in essence is based on the experience of untold numbers of runners who were injured, related research, what helped and what hurt. I bought it while recovering from plantar fasciitis. I found the contents helpful. I have learned to look at my running from a perspective of "prevention" and am more sensitive to hints of potential mistakes and of early stages of injuries, their cause and avoidance.

I have modified my no-pain no-gain attitude due to this book and now have increased my awareness of any hint of pain that may be a warning of potential running injury. Well worth the read and keeping the book around for reference.

Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes
by John Vonhof
Price: $15.80
64 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of good information, April 21, 2012
Plantar fasciitis laid me up for 6 weeks before I bought this book. I am skeptical about "cures in a book". What I found here is a compilation of common sense and collective knowledge regarding the health of your feet. For a runner, foot health is critical.

Having read the criticism of this book, I still ordered it. To me searching the web and tying to separate the solid info from the "stuff" is not for me. I am not willing to experiment on myself to save a buck. The author answered questions I had not thought to ask and I would never have found that information on my own. The info in this book has been vetted by the author and his sources. It has helped me establish a plan that has got me running again and that is worth a great deal to me.

The bottom line is that I found it useful for more than my PF. If you're looking for an instant cure, it doesn't exist. If you're looking for information and a number of suggestions for both prevention and cure, this book is worth considering. I am back to running with only an echo of the pain that kept me out of my running shoes for over three horrible months. I walk normally now and am able to run to recover a great deal of my condition.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2013 11:57 AM PDT

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / The Return of the King Extended Editions) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by King Beardo
Price: $62.00
18 used & new from $53.95

5.0 out of 5 stars How bad IS this management blunder., February 11, 2010
It is obvious that we "get it"! This is a greedy attempt to sell the movie 4 times. The real question is do they, should they, care? Is there a chance that there will be the usual unintended consequences? Will this bonehead decision come back to bite them?

The way I see it, they sure don't care what the people who already spent their money on previous LOTR items think. They must not believe that the good will of LOTR fans is worth anything. So maybe they should consider some of the reasons their snot-nosed, recent MBA grad, "management" decision was wrong.

- Though the cost of each version production is probably a minor % of the total cost, it is still money out of their pocket it cuts into profit and they must sell many copies to get it back.
- Their plan is to pay this cost twice! Once for each Blu-Ray version.
- When they made the decision to rip off their fans, they just assumed the fans would just lap up the served gruel and ask; "please sir may I have another"?
- The first problem is that they will create a huge # of the Theatrical Blu-Ray disks and this will be sunk costs.
- They will be releasing this version into a disgusted fan base who may just shun it, as indicated by thousands who take the time to comment here on the wildly unpopular decision.
- This will create a glut of the theatrical versions floating around that must be cleared from store shelves and resulting in Big discounts. The fan base will understand the real cost of production and possibly expect a less expensive extended version when it if finally released.
- There are HD alternatives to buying the Blu-Ray release. There are already web version of HD LOTR extended versions reported. There is the typical sharing of disks. There is netflix. There is blu-ray copying. There is DVR off HD cable and satellite. And who knows what will be available in two years.
- Pissing off fans, making them feel unappreciated and cheated, will make them less reluctant to finding an alternative to buying the extended Blu-Ray version when they are finally released.
- The global economy is in bad shape and, ignoring the unbelievable rah rah and propaganda from DC and new york, it is getting worse. By the time they decide to bless us with the release of the Blu-Ray version that the fans want there could be even greater financial incentive to find the least expensive way to view and even own the Bu-Ray (or other HD media).
- There will certainly be less $ to spend on the extended version and that will result in a repeat of a glut of extended disks on store shelves and price reductions.

The bottom line is that any product is only financially as strong as the demand for that product. Creating bad relations with the very people who made the previous LOTR products massively profitable is not a good idea. Doing so in a decaying economic environment is strike two. Alternative technological choices available for HD media is strike three!

The trilogy is fantastic. There are millions of fans who really want the extended version in HD. The extended Blu-Ray versions WILL sell but not to the extent they anticipate. The numbers of Blu-ray discs sold in two versions are more costly to produce, and may very well total less than the number sold if they just released both versions at once in a single release. I am reminded of "The New Coke". I don't remember who said it, but the ole saying "give the fans what they want" has always bee the path to more profit AND more fans.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Three-Disc Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Three-Disc Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]
Offered by mirmedia_movies_and_music
Price: $37.51
10 used & new from $29.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A Collectors Edition worth collecting!, January 10, 2010
I first bought the Sorcerers Stone BluRay collectors edition. After watching it I immediately went back to the store and bought "Chamber" in the collector edition. Its is worth every penny to me!

In today's BD/DVD world where everything has extended, added, edited, special features, director's cuts etc... this movie is actually an improvement on what is already a very entertaining movie. There are additional scenes that actually add to the story. Those of us that have read all the books often get a bit caught up in the differences between the books and the movie. The additional footage fills in a bit of what was missing.

The additional footage will be of interest to those that would like the movie to come closer to the book, and will add a little help understanding the details for those who have yet to read them.

In addition to the added content, the BluRay version is a superior visual and audio presentation. I already had the first, older BluRay edition and was instantly impressed with the video quality of the new release. I don't know what they did different but the new BDs are superior to the disks that cane in the BD "trunk" set that came out a little over a year ago.

The added (non-movie) features are entertaining also. I especially like the deleted scenes and the interviews with the main characters, but found all of the added features and the included book to be interesting and add to the experience.

If you are a HP fan, you will love the collectors editions. If you aren't yet, you just may become a big HP fan! I can't wait for the rest of the series to come out in collectors editions!

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Three-Disc Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Three-Disc Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]
3 used & new from $45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set!, January 10, 2010
In today's BD/DVD world where everything has extended, added, edited,director's cut... this movie is actually an improvement on what is already a very entertaining movie. There are additional scenes that actually add to the story. Those of us that have read all the books often get a bit caught up in the differences between the books and the movie. The additional footage fills in a bit of what was missing.

The added (non-movie) features are entertaining also. I especially like the deleted scenes and the interviews with the main characters.

If you are a HP fan, you will love this release. If you aren't yet, you just may become a big HP fan!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince [Blu-ray]
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince [Blu-ray]
Price: $10.50
196 used & new from $0.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie ...IF, January 9, 2010
Being a senior (60 yrs old) fan of Rowling's books and movies I found the movie very enjoyable. Yes it has the typical flaws of being a movie based on a long book that has sold millions of copies all over the world. Just like the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, there is more in the book than in the movie. Who would sit through a 12 hour movie anyway?

I won't nit pic the differences between the book and movie. The movie is Dark, both visually and in content. The characters are strong starting with Harry who is a man child suffering both the typical changes that confront a boy's journey to manhood and the demand to be more than a boy in a dangerous setting. You can't really call Hermione and Ron supporting cast. They are strong characters evolving on their own path sharing the journey with Harry through Hogwarts, OoP, death eaters, Voldemort, the Ministry of Magic etc. In actuality I believe that you would enjoy the movie more if you had read the book and vice versa. In fact I can't imagine not wanting to read the books and see the movies.

The movie is very entertaining with great scenery, excellent performances by the cast, strong visual effects, all based on the best series of fantasy books to come in half a century. Buy it! You wil want to see it again and again.

Page: 1 | 2