Profile for Kristin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kristin RSS Feed (Anytown, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, White
EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, White
Offered by EatSmart Products
Price: $34.95
4 used & new from $14.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but not that good for the kitchen, November 20, 2011
I bought this scale after my previous one made by another manufacturer died (had it for years). The price on this one seemed good and it gets really good reviews. It does feel kind of cheesy as far as the construction, but it does what it's supposed to do and seems pretty reliable for the most part. My only real complaint is that I've noticed any time it's exposed to ANY moisture at all, it will stop working for a day or two. This is supposed to be a kitchen scale, and as anyone who uses their kitchen knows, things in the kitchen do occasionally get wet. And I'm not talking about large quantities of water---I am talking about a drip or some small splatters from the sink from washing dishes. Also, of course it's going to get dirty in the kitchen if you use it with any regularity to measure food products. I use this thing twice daily to weigh out food for my dogs and cat, so it does need to be cleaned sometimes. Unfortunately, if you follow the cleaning instructions that say to wipe it down with a soft/damp cloth, it will go dead for a while---maybe for an hour or maybe for a couple of days. It's annoying and inconvenient. I have heard that the company that makes this scale is pretty good about taking back/replacing defective products and I have thought about returning it more than once, but I'm sure that if I send it in when it's not working, by the time they receive it, it will be working again. So, whatever. I'm going to keep looking for a scale that can swim.

Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox
Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox
Offered by Lowest Price online
Price: $37.99
25 used & new from $28.00

1.0 out of 5 stars good in theory, July 1, 2011
I changed out my cat's normal hooded litter box for this one because it looked roomier. My cat refused to use it and ended up developing a FLUTD (I'm assuming from stress and not having a comfortable place to urinate). It's a good idea in theory, but probably is not a "clever" design from the cat's point of view.

Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
by David Airey
36 used & new from $17.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know that you won't learn in school., September 14, 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's fairly short and to the point and will hold your attention unlike a lot of books I have purchased in this category. I wasn't sure I needed it at first. I have quite a few books on my bookshelf on this subject, some that I have never been able to stomach for more than a few pages. This book is not one that will sit on your shelf unread. It's chock full of useful, real life business advice for the freelance designer. David also walks you through his identity design process using real examples. This is everything I wanted to learn in school, but never did. If you are a graphic designer and you haven't read this, you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown
Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown
DVD ~ Jillian Michaels
Price: $7.59
62 used & new from $2.35

2.0 out of 5 stars Good workout, but shouldn't be called yoga, July 7, 2010
I should preface this by saying I have a lot of experience with power yoga. The only reason I'm giving this DVD two stars is because it made me sweat and was a good workout. That was the only thing I liked about it. She tries to combine cardio movement with yoga and the end result is something that's not really yoga at all, even though it incorporates yoga postures. The box says vinyasa, but to be more accurate, it should be called "yoga cardio fusion" or something along those lines. It's by no means an intro to vinyasa and there is almost zero emphasis on proper alignment or breathing. If you just want a workout and don't really care how you get from point A to point B, maybe this DVD is for you. If this is your first venture into yoga practice, you will most likely get the wrong idea. If I were looking for an introduction to vinyasa yoga and I thought this DVD was it, I would be completely turned off to practicing yoga.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2010 2:55 PM PDT

The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution
The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution
by Alice Waters
Price: $22.26
172 used & new from $7.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book for a beginner, September 19, 2008
I bought this book after seeing it on Martha Stewart's show and being very impressed by the appearance of Alice Waters. At the time I was not familiar with her or any of her books. It was nice to read and I enjoyed learning about CSAs and local, sustainable food. Unfortunately it wasn't really useful to me beyond that. After I read through it the first time I put it on the shelf, and I never cooked from it. When I decided recently to cull some books from my cookbook library, I decided that this one needed to go. There was nothing I needed from it that I couldn't find in How to Cook Everything Vegetarian or Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I got rid of it to make room on my bookshelf for one of Ms. Waters' more inspiring books. This book might make a good first cookbook for someone, but there are also general cookbooks out there that are more comprehensive than this one and might be more useful.

Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges
Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges
by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
Price: $25.69
58 used & new from $14.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Asian Flavors, September 16, 2008
Rarely do I read a cookbook and want to make every single recipe. This was the case with Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges. From this book I have made the Pork Vindaloo. As soon as the marinade went onto the meat I knew it would be a winner. It smelled so good! The coconut sticky rice was the perfect accompaniment. I have also made the black pepper crab dumplings. They were surprisingly easy to make, and the sweet flavor of the crab was really accentuated by the mint, black pepper and ponzu sauce. The chicken buns were delicious. The dough was tender and the light, flavorful chicken and mushroom filling was a nice deviation from traditional heavier fillings. The mussels with lemongrass, thai basil, chile and coconut milk were the best mussels I have ever had. The only thing they were lacking was a squeeze of lime juice. Every recipe I have made from this book has turned out perfectly. I can't wait to try the rest. If you like asian flavors and the cooking process and you don't mind straying from what is traditional, buy this book. You won't be disappointed.

The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
by Ellie Krieger
Price: $21.97
318 used & new from $0.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay.... I sold mine, September 6, 2008
I was really excited to get this book. I like watching Ellie's show on TV and I enjoy the tips she gives for healthy cooking. The book is nice. It has beautiful pictures, great tips, and average recipes... none that I would consider to be brilliant. And don't get me wrong. Some of the recipes are very good. The shrimp with feta is delicious and in lots of the desserts you will barely miss the fat and calories that she leaves out. However I think the concept "The Food You Crave" is flawed. It seems like a great idea--a cookbook full of everyone's favorites, made healthier. Unfortunately, when I crave these foods, the real version is more satisfying. I would rather have a little bit of the real thing, than an extra helping of the impostor. Back when I still owned this book I would find myself flipping through the pages, finding a pretty picture of something I wanted to eat, and then looking up another recipe for it that I knew would taste better. It just didn't get a lot of use in my kitchen. If you don't forsee this being an issue, go ahead and buy it. I actually ended up selling it to a friend who really enjoys it, so I think there is definitely an audience for this book. I'm just not in it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2010 12:52 PM PDT

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food
by Mark Bittman
Price: $20.30
145 used & new from $8.40

5.0 out of 5 stars This book hangs out in my kitchen a lot..., May 21, 2008
While I realize I am supposed to be reviewing How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, I want to say this first because it would have been helpful to me: I own both this book and Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. When I was debating whether or not to buy How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, I thought that I didn't need it because I already had Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone which is another very comprehensive vegetarian cookbook. I was looking for reviews by people who said they owned both so I could find other opinions on how different they are. What I have found is that their styles of cooking and their recipe choices (outside of the basics) are very different, and as a result I have room for both and I use them both. When I buy a vegetable and need to find a way to use it up, I love going to their glossaries to look for some options. If I don't find something I want to make in one book, it will usually be in the other one.

With that being said, I blew this book off several times before I realized it was worth looking into. I figured it would be ordinary, but it certainly is not. I'm glad I finally gave it a chance because I even find myself using a lot of Mark Bittman's basic recipes in place of recipes that I normally use and as a result this book pretty much just hangs out in my kitchen. The pizza dough recipe is extremely easy and his cornbread is quite possibly the best cornbread I have ever eaten... it's so good that I will no longer be making my go-to cornbread recipe from Paul Prudhomme. I love that he gives lots of variations on the same recipes using different vegetables and I love all of the lists of suggestions he provides (for example various ways of topping a pizza or a baked potato). It makes this book very user friendly and it makes cooking from this it a very flexible endeavor. All in all I think it's a great and very useful book. Go buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2009 8:18 AM PDT

Scott Kelby's 7-Point System for Adobe Photoshop CS3
Scott Kelby's 7-Point System for Adobe Photoshop CS3
by Scott Kelby
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way to learn, February 16, 2008
The only thing I don't like about this book is also what makes it so great. It is straight forward and to the point, and there is not a lot of in depth explanation on why you are doing each step. Of all the books I have ever bought on Photoshop, I was able to get through this book the fastest because I didn't have to spend a lot of time absorbing theories and principles. But even though Scott doesn't do a lot of explaining, he makes you follow his steps over and over again so that you eventually learn the theories and principles and the "whys" through experience. And that's really the best way to learn. By the end of this book you will have followed his steps so many times it will become second nature. I have found myself using these techniques in my work without even thinking about them. Invaluable!

The Digital Photography Book, Part 2
The Digital Photography Book, Part 2
by Scott Kelby
Price: $18.96
116 used & new from $0.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for the 2nd time, February 15, 2008
When I first bought this book, I flipped through the pages and was really excited over all of the great tips and insights. I was so excited that I showed it to my uncle who is a really talented veteran professional photographer. He was skeptical at first, but the more he read, the better he liked it. Much to my dismay, he told me he was keeping it. He handed me some cash and told me to go buy another one. This is a great book that appeals to all levels of experience. I now have my own copy of this book (once again) as well as a copy of Kelby's first digital photography book.

Page: 1 | 2