Profile for Jean Brown > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jean Brown RSS Feed

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold
Price: $14.39
1816 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Bones, Lovely Book!, June 29, 2002
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
My first thought on finishing The Lovely Bones, I'd probably read the best book I'll read this year..I read an ARC copy when I saw it was now available I was almost sad that I'd already read this wonderful book and didn't have it to look forward to...Don't be put off by what sounds like a rather depressing story, it is anything but that...it is almost a comforting read..Susie's heaven is one that left me smiling and actually picturing people I love who have died in just such a wonderful place..and if you are an animal lover there is one scene in this book that will touch you in a very special way...a special book this is!

by Dean Riddle
49 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Flowers, friends and more, March 19, 2002
This charming book with lovely illustrations made me laugh and cry and want to plant Mexican Sunflowers! And most of all wish Dean Riddle were my friend and neighbor...I feel like he is both after reading this book. Full of wonderful gardening information (I kept wanting to make notes and write down names of flowers to plant though I couldn't quit reading long enough)but even better it is filled with wisdom and love of not only gardening but life.

by Dean Riddle
49 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Flowers, friends and more, March 19, 2002
This charming book with lovely illustartions made me laugh and cry and want to plant Mexican Sunflowers! And most of all wish Dean Riddle were my friend and neighbor...I feel like he is both after reading this book. Full of wonderful gardening information (I kept wanting to make notes and write down names of flowers to plant though I couldn't quit reading long enough)but even better it is filled with wisdom and love of not only gardening but life.

My Cat Saved My Life
My Cat Saved My Life
by Phillip Schreibman
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound, October 22, 2000
This review is from: My Cat Saved My Life (Hardcover)
Being a cat-lover I'm often drawn to books about them, I usually try to avoid buying because most turn out to be sweet but with little substance..Thank goodness I didn't resist MY CAT SAVED MY LIFE by Phillip Schreibman.This book touched me immensely...as time passes I realize more and more so much of life is about goodbyes and losing the people we love. This book helps answer how to go on living, the part grief must play and yes how so many lessons our animals (and for me that is cats:) can teach us if only we open our hearts. A book I know I'll read often and turn to to be reminded what life has to offer if only we will accept...

Safekeeping: Some True Stories From a Life
Safekeeping: Some True Stories From a Life
by Abigail Thomas
31 used & new from $27.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it and, August 3, 2000
weep and laugh and most of all feel all the emotions life holds...Thomas writes______"this is not what I expected. I expected pure joy, and here are joy and sorrow mixing into the same moment." Doesn't that express so often how we feel, this book is filled with so many moments that I identified with...how can you not love a woman who writes ..the truth was she didn't keep the can opener anywhere. The can opener was wherever she'd last left it; the can opener was where she found it. Abigail Thomas reveals so much of herself in this book but even more one finds so much of theirself as well...it does leave one wanting to know even more about Thomas and her life.

Can't You Hear Me Callin': The Life of Bill Monroe, Father of Bluegrass
Can't You Hear Me Callin': The Life of Bill Monroe, Father of Bluegrass
by Richard D. Smith
Price: $29.71
90 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Once in a Blue Moon, July 29, 2000
a biography comes along that one reads and comes away feeling like they really know the subject...that is certainly true of CAN'T YOU HEAR ME CALLING by Richard D. Smith. Bill Monroe is portrayed in all his glory but also shown as a real person with all the foibles and flaws but also his genius. Living a few miles from his birthpalce Rosine KY I knew of Bill Monroe but until reading this book I had no idea of his many contributions to the music industry. To find he composed many songs that I love but had never connected to Bluegrass (Georgia Rose, Rawhide etc.) was a surprise and makes me anxious to hear more of his music. The author conveyed so well how Bill Monroe the man was a product of a time, a place and a family that so influenced not only his music but also the person he became...one comes way a little more aware of how that is true of all of us.

Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independent Woman
Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independent Woman
by Alice Steinbach
119 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book but....., April 15, 2000
As you can tell by the 5 Stars I loved this book and was loathe to reach the end, I was so involved in the life and travels of Alice Steinbach.Reaching the last words of the first section, Paris, I was sad knowing her other places of destination could never be so interesting, I was wrong, each had their own charm. The one *reservation* I have, I don't think she succeeded in finding her way as the independent woman she was seeking. She seemed to find at each stop along the way others to validate who she is. That said it takes nothing away from the book...One comes away knowing Alice and feeling she would be a wonderful friend. In fact I must have three more copies, two for friends I know will love it and one for myself..the copy I read I marked so many passages and made so many notes in the margins I want another copy in pristine condition not only wonderfully readable this book is lovely to look at, each chapter begins with the picture of a beautiful postcard...and the messages Alice wrote and mailed to herself, a wonderful idea! Another book by Alice Steinbach I read and enjoyed Miss Dennis School of Writing and Other Lessons from A Woman's Life, I saw no mention of this on the book jacket or in the book but I think after reading Without Reservations the reader will want to seek out more by this writer.

Billy Carter: A Journey Through the Shadows
Billy Carter: A Journey Through the Shadows
by William Carter
Price: $18.99
41 used & new from $2.17

5.0 out of 5 stars touching and revealing, December 13, 1999
I could not put this book down, I think Tuesday's With Morrie was the last book I was so touched by. What a wonderful and revealing portrait of a complex and interesting man. I suppose because I grew up in the South I so related to this book...a wonderful tribute to a father I always say the most we can hope for our children forgive us... Buddy seems to have been able to do just that...a loving tribute not only to Billy but Sybil as well.

Onward Through It All
Onward Through It All
37 used & new from $1.70

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm smitten !, October 24, 1999
This review is from: Onward Through It All (Audio CD)
Wow what to say I recently discovered Jim Lauderdale at a live performance at the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville TN. Bought this album along with his Ralph Stanley collaboration _I Feel Like Singing Today_ and the more I listen the more I love...