Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Wendy Kaplan > Reviews

Browse

Wendy Kaplan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 747

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wendy Kaplan RSS Feed (Houston)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Haunted Season: A Max Tudor Mystery (A Max Tudor Novel)
The Haunted Season: A Max Tudor Mystery (A Max Tudor Novel)
by G. M. Malliet
Price: $19.77
76 used & new from $7.84

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yet, October 15, 2015
It concerns me that wonderful author G. M. Malliet might get pigeonholed into the "cozy mystery" category. I have described her books as such myself, and it's true that her mysteries are "cozy" rather than brutally graphic and upsetting. But that does not detract from the exquisite way she plies her craft.

Case in point: "The Haunted Season," the latest in her wonderful Max Tudor series. In this outing, we find Max and Awena married (not a spoiler; we know this right at the beginning) and new parents (ditto) to the most perfect baby in the world in his parents' eyes--Owen. Max is blissfully happy and we are happy for him, but as we all know, "murder follows Max." Having escaped the world of M1 espionage, become an Anglican priest and happily entered into rural English life, the last thing Max wants or needs is to be solving crimes. But once again, murder finds him--again very close to home--and he cannot help but be drawn in to the mystery.

You can change an ace spy into an Anglican priest, but as Inspector Cotton (a wonderful regular from previous books) knows all too well, when there is a murder mystery afoot, Father Max morphs into a crime-solver.

I really do not want to explain the plot, because there are so many twists and turns here. I will say that Malliet delivers a hilarious take on the upper-UPPER classes, which adds to the fun despite the gruesome murder Max is investigating. And I will also say that this is the darkest of the Father Max books, and I am not going to say why. Read it and see.

HIGHLY recommended.

My Catholic Lent and Easter Activity Book: Reproducible Sheets for Home and School
by Jennifer Galvin
Price: $5.79
33 used & new from $2.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Resource, September 9, 2015
This is a terrific resource for children, especially those who have not been raised in the faith. I used this for my RCIA students, ages 7-11, and they were enthralled by the various activities, and were learning at the same time without knowing it. I plan to order more this year so perhaps each child can have his or her own copy.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power Home Pro, 8 Count Box
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power Home Pro, 8 Count Box
Price: $9.47
4 used & new from $9.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have Product, September 9, 2015
This is the only product I have ever found that totally removes scuffs, stains and dirt from my white countertops. Yes, of course I clean my countertops daily, and yes, they look clean. But then I use my Magic Eraser--and gone are stains that I thought would never go away, and back comes the gleam. These erasers work just as well on woodwork, in the bathroom, on tile, on just about everything. I honestly consider this a miracle product. My daughter took my advice and started using them in her apartment--she is a clean freak and cannot be without them now!

War and Remembrance
War and Remembrance
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Iconic and Well Worth Reading, September 9, 2015
I read this book and its predecessor, The Winds of War, when they first came out eons ago. I read them as a young woman whose major interest was the romantic entanglements. Did I even read the brilliant, insightful descriptions of key battles in the war? I have no idea. But NOW I can admire Wouk's brilliance anew, with much more wherewithal to appreciate his historical analyses of key battles in Europe and in Asia. Truly, these two books, and especially this one, are a tour de force. If you have not read them, you will learn a lot about our own past, which adds a great deal of understanding of the way our country has evolved. If you have not read them in many a long year, treat yourself to a re-read!

Gracie China Rose Chintz 8-Ounce Porcelain Tea Cup and Saucer, Assorted colors, Set of 4
Price: $32.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Display Quality!, September 9, 2015
These teacups are so beautiful, so charming, so pleasing to the eye! I collect teacups and saucers, and am quite picky about what I choose to display. I actually had ordered these to USE, but once I set eyes upon them, I immediately made room in my very full dining room cabinets. You would never know that they did not cost three times as much. I am so happy with them!

Out on the Porch Wall Calendar 2016
Out on the Porch Wall Calendar 2016
by Workman Publishing
Edition: Calendar
Price: $7.95
33 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Calendar in the World, September 9, 2015
I have hung this calendar every single year since the very early 90s when it first came out. I never tire of it, and I can't live without it. I have already ordered my 2016 wall calendar, and it is safely here in my office, ready to replace my 2015. The pictures are always high quality, restful, beautiful and inspiring, and each is accompanied by a quote from a book...sometimes, the quotes have inspired me to find the books and ready them. A win-win!

Audubon Engagement Calendar 2016
Audubon Engagement Calendar 2016
by National Audubon Society
Edition: Calendar
Price: $3.74
35 used & new from $3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old Favorite, All Ready for 2016, September 9, 2015
I use this engagement calendar every year, and have already started filling in appointments--it's only September, which goes to show you how much I rely on these appointment books! The pictures are outstanding, one for each week, and the spaces within which to write in appointments are just large enough, with no "extras" like lines and quotations and things that drive me crazy. Love, love, love this product.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2015 8:49 AM PST

Pet Gear Easy Step III Pet Stairs, 3-step/for cats and dogs up to 150-pounds, Chocolate
Price: $46.09
41 used & new from $24.54

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Buy, September 9, 2015
We had purchased these stairs for use by our elderly dog (since deceased) and his much younger sibling, who had sustained a bad injury to her leg and was not allowed to jump on the bed. Neither dog took to the stairs at all, no matter how much we coaxed. However, we have two very elderly cats and a juvenile cat as well--and all three love it. The juvenile, of course, does not need the stairs, but the stairs have changed the lives of the elderly cats for the better. They can easily climb up to the spare-room bed, where they like to sleep, and back down again. The stairs are sturdy and handsome, a good buy for sure. I am thinking that smaller dogs (our two are Labradors) would love these stairs as well.

A God in Ruins: A Novel
A God in Ruins: A Novel
by Kate Atkinson
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $25.94
44 used & new from $15.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Brilliant, September 9, 2015
This review is from: A God in Ruins: A Novel (Audio CD)
This is truly one of the most brilliant books I have read in my long (never mind how long) life. A sequel of sorts to "Life After Life," it is nevertheless a standalone book--and it completes Atkinson's utterly masterful narrative of World War II. For those who read the former book, which featured Ursula in the most amazingly creative of ways, "A God in Ruins" is about her younger brother Teddy, whom we knew as a favored child and who is now an adult, a former fighter pilot whose memories of the war and his role in it never leave him throughout his life.

The characterizations in this book are so rich, so fully drawn, so -- I have to use the word again -- masterful, that the reader becomes completely immersed. I forgot where I was when I was reading this. I was in pre-war Britain. I was in wartime Britain. I was in the air, fearing for my life in daring raids over Germany. I was terrified of a serious health problem (no spoilers here). I was everything and everybody.

When I finished the book, I was almost paralyzed with admiration and real grief that the book was over. Needless to say, I highly, and totally, recommend this book.

The Day I Died
The Day I Died
Price: $8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Skip This One, September 9, 2015
This review is from: The Day I Died (Kindle Edition)
I thought this was going to be so inspirational, but it left me bored, impatient and uninterested. God forgive me, but it read to me as a self-serving tribute to the author--by the author! I'm not saying others will read it that way, but I certainly did, and could not finish the book, no matter how much I tried. I wound up reading half, then speed reading to the end--and nothing changed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20