Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Baby Sale
Profile for Chris S. > Reviews

Browse

Chris S.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris S. RSS Feed

LEGO Lord of the Rings - Xbox 360
LEGO Lord of the Rings - Xbox 360
Offered by Isomergames
Price: $17.29
120 used & new from $7.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Continues the LEGO game tradition, December 5, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My kids and I are big fans of the LEGO video games, and this game has been no exception. I am also a big fan of the LOTR world- books and movies- and I wanted to pass it on to my kids, and the game hasn't disappointed so far. We bought the Xbox 360 version, and have been playing for about a month or so. While there are a few issues, overall this is a fun, engrossing game.

Pros:
-Story mode is a scaled down plot of the movie trilogy. With a few added moments, of course. The humor and silliness from many of the other LEGO series are dampened a bit by the seriousness of the tone, but there are fun little moments mixed in.
-Playing as characters you love. You play as any of the Fellowship, and many more characters from the movie. Plus, you can add others from the book, like Tom Bombadil. Each has their own distinct weapons and accessories, and a menu of other equipment.
-Open world map. The "hub" of the other games is here a scaled down version of Middle Earth that you can explore for bricks, studs, characters and other goodies. All the familiar sites are available for exploration.
-Quests. Various characters around the map are there to ask you to find objects within the Free Play levels. It can be hard to keep track of them all, but it's a nice added new dimension.

Cons:
-Bugs galore. The game has frozen several times, and other times levels have failed to initiate the "kicker" for the next segment and had to be restarted. I played a confused version of Osgiliath for 20 mins before I realized that it wasn't that I couldn't figure it out, that the game had messed up.
-Map mode is clunky. Which makes it hard to get around the world sometimes.
-Open world is limitations. There are a few places where you are restricted- you can't take your horse from Rohan to Bree because the cliffs at Amon Hen make it impassable except by foot. Or you fall in a small stream and die. Or a character is shown on the map but not available (either day or night) after you spend 20 mins looking for him.

Bottom line: Very fun game, with enough to keep you busy for hours on end. If you like LOTR and Middle Earth, you will enjoy this game. There are some issues though. I've read elsewhere that this game is a step forward from the previous titles, but seems bound by their limitations.

A Song of Ice and Fire, (4 Vols.): A Game of Thrones / A Clash of Kings / A Storm of Swords / A Feast for Crows
by George R. R. Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
65 used & new from $5.65

5.0 out of 5 stars ASOIAF Greatest Hits, Paperback Edition, October 19, 2011
If you're a fan of the show and want to get caught up on the first four books, this is the easiest way to do it. No frills, just a few thousand pages of GRRM's brutal world of Westeros.

The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy
The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy
by Bill Carter
75 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The Master Baiting Bear, October 19, 2011
I don't watch Jay Leno anymore. I'm not old, but I am old enough to have seen Carson in his last several years on the air. Carson was EXCEPTIONAL...Leno's act is tired. A hard worker, to be sure, but at some point haven't you reached your potential and know it's time to move on? Conan was a bizarre blip on the radar when he first appeared, back when I was in college, and I've been a fan ever since. I even saw a live taping back in the '90's, and he was off the chain crazy during the warm ups. He doesn't have the polished class of Carson, or the breezy sarcasm of Letterman, but he made his own style and excelled at it.

The War for Late Night is a great synopsis of the mismanagement by NBC of the Leno to Conan botched handoff. Carter is obviously well placed (he even made a cameo in Conan's documentary) and knows his subjects, and treats them with the right amount of respect and perspective. The real bad guy of the whole mess is NBC, who painted themselves into the dunce corner. You can follow the logic of each individual decision they made, but when you add it all up, what do you get? A mess. Carter shows us more proof that TV exec's care about their bottom line, not creativity.

Inception (Blu-ray)
Inception (Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Price: $7.50
222 used & new from $0.55

4.0 out of 5 stars BUUUUURRRRMMMMM, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Inception (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I went to sleep one evening, dreaming of a me without an exhausting work schedule. That me had more free time, but still had kids to tire him out. That me then fell asleep and dreamed of a me with no children. That me was actually able to go to the movies from time to time. Once, that me went to see Inception. He fell asleep in the theater.

But seriously, you should see Inception. It's pretty good.

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin
Price: $22.27
424 used & new from $0.81

4.0 out of 5 stars "...and all I see is Snow", October 19, 2011
I'm a GRRM late bloomer, but hey, better late than never. I ordered the first four novels right before the HBO show started, and tore through them. I only waited a few months for A Dance with Dragons- I can't imagine waiting five years. I finished this one in about a week.

If you were let down by Feast for Crows, ADWD is a definite improvement. It paralells AFFC for the first half and then joins the two storylines in the last half. It's not perfect- Dany is mired in an insurgency, and its as tedious on the page sometimes as it is in the news, but there is a payoff that is worth the price. Jon Snow is forced to play politics with Stannis at the Wall, but Melisandre has grown on me to the point that I really enjoy her appearances. The Greyjoy characters have yet to capture my interest- I understood the point of Theon from earlier novels, but his uncles and their exploits so far have had very little point. The novel's pluses are good ones though: Tyrion is back and in rare form, Bran is back and headed north, and Arya stalks the streets of the Free Cities honing her new trade. Even the Dornish chapters managed to hold my attention, and they were tough going when I read AFFC. And of course there are the requisite surprises: Tyrion's travel companions have a secret, a character everyone hated turns tragically sympathetic, the aforementioned Dany payoff/cliffhanger, and then...but I'll leave that one alone.

In summary, ADWD is a setup book as the series starts aiming toward its ending, and suffers for that, but it both surprises and advances the plot enough to be very enjoyable. But seriously George, get Dany moving. I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Lego Star Wars III: the Clone Wars - Nintendo Wii
Lego Star Wars III: the Clone Wars - Nintendo Wii
Offered by Shark Distributors
Price: $23.50
119 used & new from $1.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun...but controls are tough to master, October 19, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
We bought this game for our son for his 5th birthday after playing the heck out of the Xbox version of LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Series (heretofore abbreviated as SW:TCS). I haven't seen the Clone Wars TV series yet, and neither have my sons, so I don't know all the storylines but we've gotten to know a few of the characters from various places. I thought this would be a fun continuation for he and his brother (almost 4). Right now we are only about 10% into the game.

PROS
-The game is challenging and fun, and while the tone is darker (part of the reason my kids haven't watched the TV series yet) it still has the same goofy spirit as SW:TCS. There are the usual LEGO puzzles to master, and while there are some advances in what you can do from SW:TCS, most of the abilities are at least similar. I've enjoyed playing the levels so far, even though they can be tough to navigate at times (I've had to use an online walkthrough a few times).
-I like that the hub is its own different "world" on board a spaceship, as opposed to the confines of the Mos Eisley Cantina from SW:TCS. I'm looking forward to exploring all the worlds some more once we get a little further on in the game.

CONS
-The biggest problem we've had so far is the difficulty of the controls for this game on the Wii versus the Xbox controls from SW:TCS. I thought the Wii would be easier for them, even though they seemed to have the Xbox version down fine. To play, you use the Wii controller and the nunchuck, and at their age this seems to be more complicated than they can handle. You move your character, use the force, and climb on vehicles with the nunchuk, and you jump, shoot/fight with the main Wii controller. In addition, in free play you use the 1-2 buttons to change characters. My 5yr old is slowly catching on, but my 3yr old is still struggling to keep up (and he had gotten pretty good at the Xbox controls). Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't appear that you can use any other controllers for this game.
-Split screen....aaargh! I thought it was a pain to be trapped by your partner in SW:TCS, but the split screen just ends up confusing everyone and on bigger maps you can get completely disoriented.

TL:DR version: a fun (but tougher) game, but was disappointed at the difficulty in controls going from Xbox to Wii.

Star Wars Child's Hooded Jedi Robe, Small
Star Wars Child's Hooded Jedi Robe, Small
Offered by Yagoozon
Price: $12.00
31 used & new from $9.84

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Picture, October 19, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Well add my name to the list of people mislead by the photo on this product...it's only the brown robe. The picture on Amazon & the picture on the package both show a robe and a costume, but again: IT'S ONLY THE ROBE. Which is total BS. But hey, shame on me for falling for it without double checking the reviews. I was just happy to have (thought I had) found a Star Wars Jedi costume for under $30, which seems to be the norm for cheap earth tone colored fabric.

Anyway, the robe is brown. It has a hood. It's thin, cheap material. My son seemed to like it ok. There you have it.

Philips Norelco BG2020 BodyGroom
Philips Norelco BG2020 BodyGroom
Offered by Lowest Price Online
Price: $44.99
5 used & new from $44.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked it ok while I had it; not sad to see it go, April 18, 2011
Bought this online in spring 2009, and it lasted until about Aug-Sep 2010...didn't like it enough to return or replace. I used it about every month or two during that time, and was mostly happy with it throughout. Without the attachment combs, this razor works well for very short or light hair. I used it in the shower once or twice, with so-so results as far as cutting hair consistently. With the attachments, longer hair gets caught between the razor and the comb and has to be brushed out every few minutes, which was pretty annoying. It also tended to pull with the combs on, which was not cool. When it finally gave up the ghost, its death was because the razor screen tore. Not sure what it caught on or how it happened, but once the screen ripped, the jagged metal edge stuck out so I had to stop using it and never bothered to get a new screen. Replaced it by using a regular electric clipper, which cuts longer hair better and more consistently.

Youngstown Glove 03-3060-80-XL General Utility Plus Performance Glove XLarge, Black
Offered by Great Household
Price: $13.00
21 used & new from $9.63

4.0 out of 5 stars The glove fits, March 25, 2011
I love these gloves. I wear them everywhere. To the mall, to Chipotle, in the car. I tried to watch TV with them on but the buttons on my remote are too small. I am currently looking for a new remote.

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto
by Chuck Klosterman
Price: $11.60
611 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Chuck book..., March 25, 2011
This was my first Chuck K book, and I have to say I enjoyed it. I discovered CK through listening/reading Bill Simmons, and have enjoyed his take on the random topics they discussed. Needless to say, I had somewhat high hopes for his books and was not disappointed. I was born one year after where CK set his Gen-X cutoff, but I would have to include myself in his targeted demo. Obviously this book is now 8 years old, but I think it holds up well if you consider yourself a Gen-Xer.

The book is a collection of essays, some more interesting than others, but overall thought provoking and funny and as random as I expected. I especially enjoyed his SBTB thoughts, the Pam Anderson-as-modern-woman comparison, The Empire Strikes Back as a metaphor for Gen-X, and his description of playing The Sims for the first time. I think SD&CP was a good starting point, and I look forward to reading all of the other random pop culture/philosophy books CK has churned out over the years.