Profile for A. Dumville > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Dumville "acd483" RSS Feed (Providence, RI United States)

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion
The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.76

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book for understanding the politics of life., October 26, 2013
This book is not only a way to understand ones own politics, personality and approach to life, but a key to understanding the same attributes of your family, friends and strangers. More importantly, it is a way to connect with others with seemingly different perspectives. Haidt has such a clear and compelling way of building his case and the results will delight and frustrate most readers. Incredibly researched, this book is thoughtfully constructed to use science as a way to explain political difference...it's beautifully objective.

One of the best non-fiction pieces I've ever read.

Enlightenment
Enlightenment
16 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For the music..., January 28, 2009
This review is from: Enlightenment (Audio CD)
I was tempted to replace my 1990 release of one of my favorite Van albums for its touted remastering and bonus tracks. Neither aspect is worth the cost of this newly released version.

In A/B testing, I could not discern a difference in sound quality between the original and remaster, certainly not one that would compel me to replace my collection.

The bonus tracks are cool for the serious Van fan, but again, one could live without them.

Still, it gets five stars for superlative music. If you don't yet own "Enlightenment", buy it.

Etymotic Research HF2 Earphones / Headset  - Black
Etymotic Research HF2 Earphones / Headset - Black
Offered by Etymotic
Price: $129.00
7 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Get what you pay for!, August 11, 2008
Having recently purchased an iPhone 3G, I wanted a pair of headphones with in-line microphone to round out the experience. To be honest, I'm not thrilled with iPhone's sound quality on busy streets nor were the people on the other end of the line able to easily hear me. These headphones change the ball game. I can't really imagine using iPhone without them. Here's why.

1. Sound isolation. This is most of the magic. The in-ear headphones all isolate outside sounds quite well with a few caveats. One, the cable does transmit some sound as it hits against clothing. Nothing deal breaking to me. The only other sound I hear is a muffled wind noise under very windy conditions. The other aspect of sound isolation is that the microphone does an excellent job of filtering out extraneous noise to deliver a very clear sound to the person on the other end of the line.

2. Sound reproduction. Without a doubt, these headphones produce clear, precise and accurate sound. They don't do big bass, which is appropriate because you can't get big bass out of tiny drivers. No perceivable distortion either. I feel the sound from Etymotic is superior to my previous pair of Shure earphones.

3. Size and Design. Discreet! Unlike the Shure models, these are minimalist in design and don't require the user to awkwardly drape the cables over the back of his ears. The plastic's quality is high and I was satisfied with the fitting of the standard flange attachment. The microphone also has a button which allows one to answer incoming calls, pause music and also advance to the next track. I can tell you it is seamless in operation.

4. Value. Why buy an iPhone and use the standard Apple headphones? You'll hear barely anything in heavy traffic, the mic is lousy and because there is no sound isolation, the necessary higher volume levels will damage your ears. I expect these Etymotic HF2 to last a good number of years so over time, the per year price will be relatively low. I learned to invest in quality products and keep them. Hopefully both these and iPhone will meet that standard.

UPDATE: Almost one year on, I'm still extremely happy with the HF2 headset. No issues with build quality and they are as useful and appreciated as ever. Highly recommended.

DeLonghi RO2058 6-Slice Convection Toaster Oven with Rotisserie
DeLonghi RO2058 6-Slice Convection Toaster Oven with Rotisserie
Price: $75.00
36 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, minor issues, March 6, 2008
After extensively researching toaster ovens to replace my fried Cuisinart Classic (which I liked prior to its death), I ran across this one at a local retailer.

The major difference between this model and all the others I looked at is build quality. Think simple, solid, italian...not creaky, flimsy and chinese. The dials switch through their functions with confidence, the door opens smoothly, fittings are metal (not plastic), and generally if it's well built on the outside, it's going to last on the inside.

It has a "convection" option which activates a tiny fan...who knows whether this is useful or not in such a small space. The auto-on-off oven light is a nice touch. It also does rotisserie, though I have no use for it.

My issues with it?
- Seemingly lower than average temperature (390 as opposed to 450 degrees F)
- Takes all three dials to activate the oven.
- Rack guides allow the tray to teeter/pivot if not fully in place
- Toast gets dried out (typical Delonghi) so if you like toast, buy a Dualit

But overall? Much better than most for the cooking I do, great value, reminds me of well built italian coffee makers from the '80s.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2012 6:44 PM PST

Night in San Francisco
Night in San Francisco
40 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars tour de force, October 8, 2007
This review is from: Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
Big Van fan and just picked up this album. I've written previously about Van's ability to combine songs (the live version of In The Afternoon/Raincheck), I won't call them medleys as it really transcends one song transitioning to the next. It's more of Van deconstructing two songs and building a new, entirely engaging one. He'll even put lyrics of one song to the melody of an other and it'll take you a few seconds to think "WOW!". The result is magical to say the least. So if you're concerned about medleys, open your mind in this case.

The next aspect of this album is the musicians involved. Van's brought together John Lee Hooker, Georgie Fame, Junior Wells...that's as good as it gets. As for Brian Kennedy, he's an acquired taste, and perhaps in small doses, adds an interesting vocal, but I have to say...not quite my cup of tea. And Shana Morrison is not in this league, though she appears just once I believe. All in all, the talent of the talent of the band outweighs any shortcomings of Kennedy.

Result: fantastic album. If you're a Van fan, you'll love it. P.S. It's available on iTunes for $10 if the $28 seems steep..though it's still worth the thirty bucks in my opinion.

Cuisinart TOB-30BW  Toaster Oven/Broiler
Cuisinart TOB-30BW Toaster Oven/Broiler

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect toaster oven...for 2.5 years, August 11, 2006
I own the stainless/black version of this and have had more than a year of perfect operation. I don't use a microwave very often or my large oven so this gets used daily. It looks brand new. Food simply doesn't stick to the glass door or the handy crumb tray. So far so good.

UPDATE: after two and half years of flawless operation, the internals of the toast/bake/broil switch are fried. The toaster oven no longer stays on in "bake" mode, rendering it useless. I would downgrade the rating to 2 stars.

Meet Me in the Indian Summer
Meet Me in the Indian Summer

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best live Van performances of late, July 19, 2003
While the title track is a great listen, rich with the subtleties that Van layers seemlessly, the real treat is the live performance of In the Afternoon/Raincheck. Not only is the playing fantastic, but Van's ability to take two relatively mediocre songs and combine them into a truly satisfying and exciting performance earns this album top marks.

No Static At All: An Instrumental Tribute to Steely Dan
No Static At All: An Instrumental Tribute to Steely Dan
Offered by ExpressMedia
Price: $14.90
24 used & new from $6.49

1.0 out of 5 stars good for a laugh, January 13, 2002
If you love Steely Dan, do not buy this CD. There is none of the wit and none of the amazing riffs. All the wrong horns (what's with the Kenny G style sax?) What a shame about this!