Profile for S. Howell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Howell RSS Feed (Massachusetts)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Just Like Heaven: A Mutts Children's Book
Just Like Heaven: A Mutts Children's Book
by Patrick McDonnell
Price: $11.30
144 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, March 10, 2011
My brother gave me this book for Christmas and our whole family loves it, including our four-year-old. Wonderful book about friendship and finding unexpected joy. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars This socks make me ridiculously happy, March 10, 2011
Soft and comfy to wear, with a fun pattern that makes everyone smile when they see them. I may never go back to wearing plain old blue, brown or black socks again. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars well made ring, dark stone, March 10, 2011
The ring itself is very comfortable to wear and feels solid, well-made. The stone is very dark -- looks basically black indoors, which was disappointing at first, as I had wanted to see more of the red tones in it. But the red tones pop out in the sunlight, giving surprising depth to what seems at first glance to be a rather large and unsubtle ring. Once I adjusted to the darker than expected stone, I began to like the ring very much. It looks quite striking on the hand. I would definitely order from this seller again.

Sterling Silver 8mm Round Green Amethyst Lever Back Earrings
Sterling Silver 8mm Round Green Amethyst Lever Back Earrings
Price: $29.85

4.0 out of 5 stars A Whiter Shade of Pale, June 9, 2010
"Pale" doesn't really do justice to the color of these earrings. The ones I received are almost perfectly colorless, so if you are looking for green amethyst that actually looks green, I'd go with a different pair of earrings.

On the other hand, these are very pretty, and I don't regret my purchase one bit.

Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
by Emma Hox
Price: $16.99
44 used & new from $0.93

1.0 out of 5 stars There are much much better P&P retellings out there, February 8, 2010
Let me start off by saying, that what I read, I read with a smile on my face. And it wasn't a smile of derision. Something about Lizzy and Darcy happy together just makes me smile.

That said, I couldn't finish this book. I got about 75% of the way through before deciding that the tedious dialogue and frank conversations between the characters -- all of the characters -- made the book essentially unreadable (at least for me). There's complete honesty between Lizzy and Darcy, a commendable quality in a relationship, but one that makes for a bad book. I also gave up on the book (reluctantly, because not finishing a book is really really hard for me) because the author seems to be unable to allow any of her characters to suffer more than a moment's discomfort, which seriously impairs my enjoyment in reading this story. Granted, Lord Matlock has a bad time of it at one point, but the troubles for almost everybody else rarely survive the advent of the next paragraph.

Another problem I have with this book, and perhaps the most serious problem, is that in the original P&P, both Lizzy and Darcy have some maturing to do in order to become the people who are so very well-suited for each other (and that they were the ones who challenged each other to do it after Darcy's original proposal). This book starts with the events of page 1 of Austen's original, but casts the Darcy and Lizzy from p 368 in them. They are already the people they need to be to live happily ever after, and while so far the author hasn't made them do anything out of character for their future selves, it still doesn't work for me.

Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery 1-Pound-Loaf Programmable Mini Breadmaker
Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery 1-Pound-Loaf Programmable Mini Breadmaker
Price: $175.00
15 used & new from $164.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every inch of its tiny little footprint, February 8, 2010
This machine stands right next to my coffeemaker, and is worth every inch of its relatively small footprint (it's actually smaller than said coffeemaker-a Keurig). I've only had it a week, but have made 3 loaves of bread and a batch of jam. All delicious. The loaves are a nice size for my family (only about 2 of us eat bread on a regular basis, so a full size loaf spoils before we finish it). These loaves yield ~8-12 slices (depending on the thickness) and are eaten up in 2-3 days. The loaves I've made so far are shaped like bread, but a bit taller (the tops stick out a bit from my toaster. It doesn't bother me, but I could see why it might bother some people).

One of the other reviewers talks about a hole in the bottom of the bread, saying that it was a waste of bread for this small size loaf. Two comments: 1) if you want to avoid that, use the machine to knead and rise the bread, then take it out and bake it in the oven. 2) I'm never going to go to that trouble, because in my opinion, the "hole" is really just a notch and it only affects a couple of slices in the middle. Really not worth troubling yourself over. It's kind of cute, really.

When I got this machine, I was worried that it might be a problem converting recipes down to a 1 lb loaf, since most machines are 1 1/2 - 2 lbs, but the machine comes with lots of recipes for making breads. If you're like me and prefer to use a mix for convenience, the Hodgson Mills 9 grain and Honey Wheat bread mixes have instructions for both 1 1/2 lb and 1 lb machines on the box. No math! Yummy breads.

Also, I was dubious about the machine's claim to make jam. The recipes supplied use simply fruit, sugar, and lemon juice. The results are extremely tasty, but somewhat on the soupier side. I'm going to try adding some pectin to see if I can get the jam to act a bit more like jam and less like delectable fruit soup in future trials. If it works, great. If not, I'll still probably make most of my jam this way. It's really easy, very tasty, and I love knowing exactly what goes in the jam.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2012 3:32 PM PDT

Perfect Pod Maker
Perfect Pod Maker

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within 24 hours, but still useful, January 31, 2010
This review is from: Perfect Pod Maker (Kitchen)
Pros:
1. The coffee I made this way is some of the best I've ever had out of my pod brewer.
2. The process is so easy my 2.5 year old can do it.

Cons:
1. The heating element broke after 24 hours (2 uses).

This was not the disaster one might expect because after reading from another reviewer that this was likely to happen, I was prepared for it and had the fix at hand. (Use a small travel iron instead of the heating element.) So, I'm likely to keep this around to make the pods, but wish that this product were higher quality as $40 is a bit steep for what ends up being just a holder for the pods while you fill and seal them.

******Update*******
Contacted the manufacturer. They said that since mine broke so quickly, they would replace it with a new one (even though this is normally an "All sales are final" item. So I sent the broken one back. We'll see if the new one comes/works.

An Uncommon Soldier: The Civil War Letters of Sarah Rosetta Wakeman, alias Pvt. Lyons Wakeman, 153rd Regiment, New York State Volunteers, 1862-1864
by Sarah Rosetta Wakeman
Price: $10.85
53 used & new from $4.07

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, August 30, 2008
Very thin book, so a very quick read, but a fascinating one. Almost worth picking up for the introduction alone, which provides lots of fascinating background on the 400 or so (known) women who dressed up as men and fought in the Civil War. I especially appreciated the social commentary on how exactly they could hope to get away with it -- cursory physical exams, badly fitting uniforms, dependence on clothing to indicate gender ("if it wears pants, it's male"), presence of lots of young boys in the Army whose voices haven't changed yet and weren't shaving, and of course, the extreme modesty of the society at the time, which didn't make it at all unusual for a young soldier to choose to bathe alone and shy away from using the public latrines. The funniest moment for me was the description of the soldier who wrote home to say that his sergeant, who had been sharing a tent with his Captain had had a child. (paraphrasing a bit...) "What need have we of women, when we soldiers can have children of our own?" How much that was tongue in cheek and how much sheer willful obtuseness isn't clear from the introduction. My 2008 self declares that he must have been joking, but the editor of these letters believes that he may actually have just been expressing the extreme denial so many Army men had ("no woman could possibly handle this") that protected these women from discovery. I very much enjoyed this book.

Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Glider - Butter Bunny
Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Glider - Butter Bunny

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, August 27, 2008
I was wary of spending this much money on yet another chair (at the time we already had a bouncer and a baby papasan). But my daughter wasn't fond of either, and I badly needed a safe place for her to hang out while I showered! So we got this. Hands down this was the best buy we made in the first 6 months of our baby's life. (And looking back, the only chair we really needed.)

As it turned out, one of my daughter's favorite things to do in her pre-sitting up days was to lie back in that chair and rock back and forth while listening to music. Sometimes we'd even get a nap out of it.

When she was too old for the chair, we passed it on to some friends of ours. They reported that it soothed their daughter to sleep very consistently as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardly ever used it, August 27, 2008
Cute bouncer. Looked nice in the corner of the playroom. Hardly ever used it, though, because it bored my daughter stiff. To be fair, she liked listening to the various sounds, as long as we didn't make her do it while sitting in the bouncer.

Also, the bar quickly became deformed (it popped off one side and wouldn't stay back on). I ended up detaching the rabbit and bears from the bar and giving them to my daughter to play with and then stored the chair itself in our basement.

We had much more luck with the Fisher Price Soothing Motions Glider. One of my daughter's favorite things to do in her pre-sitting up days was to lie back in that chair and rock back and forth while listening to music. Sometimes we'd even get a nap out of it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5