Profile for William Gunn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

William Gunn RSS Feed (St. Louis, MO)

Plodes RECH reDO Lawn Chair - Black Leather with White Stitching and Cherry Arms

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth twice the asking price!, September 10, 2010
I've owned a lot of expensive chairs in my lifetime. My first highchair was created entirely out of the gilded relics of saints, my favorite arm chair is 60% filled with comet dust (the other 40% is seductive velour) and the office chair I'm currently occupying is Brad Pitt. Seriously, he just kneels there patiently and holds me, a look of quiet contemplation on his face. I'm here to tell you that all these chairs mean NOTHING to me now that I own the Plodes RECH reDO Lawn Chair...even you, Brad-chair.

Maybe it's the rich, full grain black leather. Perhaps the musky, enticing cherry wood? No, my friends. It's the sheer, unmitigated opulence of owning a lawn chair that cost literally twice as much as my last automobile. Some of you filthy, chair-less rubes may wonder why I buy such incredible seating when I only spent $1000 on a car. To those folks I can only say this: DO IT. BUY THE CHAIR. STOP THINKING AND BUY.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2014 9:03 PM PDT

Supreme Commander 2 - PC
Supreme Commander 2 - PC
Price: $13.24
37 used & new from $0.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Supreme Disappointment, March 4, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Supreme Commander 2 may well be the most disappointing PC game I've ever played. The original Supreme Commander, spiritual successor to Cavedog's fantastic Total Annihilation, allowed players a depth and complexity far beyond any other strategy game of its day. Massive unit variety, stunningly well-made interface and epic scale combined to create incredible tactical and strategic diversity. Unfortunately, it seems that the sequel has lost its way. Worse is the fact that many clever improvements made their way into this game, only to be overshadowed by the game's serious flaws.

Graphics: First, the good: units, structures and effects look incredible. Animations are likewise very impressive indeed. Missiles trail believable contrails, fighters swoop around, cannons recoil. Visually stunning; this game is by far the best-looking strategy game out there, especially when its scope is taken into consideration. Faction units are distinct and cleverly designed. Experimental units look suitably enormous and powerful. Lighting and shadows are top-notch.

Sound: Here we have the first serious issue. As strange as this sounds, the voice acting of all things is one of the deal-breakers. The writing and acting is possibly the worst I've heard in a video game. It may be hard to believe that voice acting can make a difference one way or the other, but if you have any plans to play the campaign, I recommend having the mute button handy. It is incredible to me that this game made it to the public with its current script. Think Star Wars Episode 1 Jar-Jar Binks. Unbelievable. Sound effects and music are fine, but the (non-skippable, impossible to disable) voices are just awful.

Gameplay: First, the good - SC2 makes a few seemingly minor but clever and helpful tweaks to the SC1 formula. For those familiar with SupCom: engineers can now repair aircraft in flight, aircraft fuel has been removed, and pathfinding is immensely improved. The game sports "flow-field" coding for its group pathfinding, improving upon a serious flaw in early versions of the original. Groups of land units will smoothly navigate around obstacles without breaking formation and will attempt to form up when possible. Units work better together and are much more able to navigate the complex terrain of the battlefield. Customizable buildings are a great decision and are one of the features that would have been wonderful in the original. On the other hand, unit variety has taken a serious hit. In an effort to "streamline" the game, many units have been removed entirely. Gone are the days of hundreds of structure and unit choices. The economy has been completely reworked. The streaming economy that made TA and SupCom unique and interesting has been replaced by a standard pre-pay for units concept. In theory, this was meant to reduce players' need for micromanaging. In my experience, it results in far more micro throughout the course of the game. Factories can no longer be set to pump out endless hordes of tanks and planes. Now every purchase must be weighed individually, resulting in smaller armies and a greater focus on factories instead of formations. UI tweaks include a group icon for multiple units given the same order, which mainly has the effect of stopping the player from clicking on a few of his units without accidentally selecting the whole group. The research concept is interesting and fairly well implemented, although it is very easy for new players to get badly bogged down in poor research choices and lose because of their confusion.

Overall, the game seems to have been designed with a "Supreme Commander Lite" theme squarely in mind. Experimentals are everywhere, and are not particularly epic any more. The grand strategic picture of large battles will still confuse new players, and the lack of tactical diversity and the serious economic simplifications have driven away veterans of the series. Somehow Chris Taylor managed a game simultaneously too complicated for new players and too simplified for experienced players. Very disappointed.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2010 6:28 AM PDT

Otterbox 908-01.3 Waterproof Case for iPod Video 30/60/80GB with Click Wheel Access

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, May 28, 2008
I'm a US paratrooper, currently serving in month thirteen of a fifteen month Afghanistan deployment. This case has protected my iPod from day one. I bought it about six months before we deployed to use for snowboarding after my CO showed me the version he had for his iPod. A few months of learning to snowboard with the iPod in my hip pocket being landed on over and over did nothing to this monster of a case. I'm a pretty big guy, and it took quite a few impacts of my bodyweight without any damage to the player. It's survived downpours on training exercises, the amazing amount of dust Afghanistan produces, and all the jolts and impacts of Army life. The iPod inside is pristine. It does make the player significantly larger; if I only used my iPod for indoor listening and didn't take it to any wars or mountainsides, I would probably go with a smaller, lighter, cheaper case, but for my situation, this case is perfect. The only con, really, is the inability to use the hold-switch without removing the player briefly. Not a huge headache, compared to the destruction this thing has survived. Definitely worth it to protect your investment.