Profile for KarenJ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

KarenJ "Karen" RSS Feed (Rochester,New York, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Sense of the World
A Sense of the World
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Very much enjoying this, but where are the pictures?, December 24, 2013
I have the Kindle version and realized about four chapters in that none of the images included in the print version are available in the Kindle version (there's a note to that effect at the beginning, but I didn't see anything concerning this when I was ordering it for Kindle.) I've ordered a used print copy as I really think having the pictures available will enhance my reading of this very interesting book.

Bred of Heaven
Bred of Heaven
by Jasper Rees
22 used & new from $1.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, August 27, 2013
This review is from: Bred of Heaven (Paperback)
Having read a review of this work in The Economist I decided to give it a try.

Jasper Rees has a very engaging, flowing writing style.

Each chapter of this relatively short book is devoted to a different aspect of Welsh life: singing, rugby, farming, speaking Welsh, etc., and Rees manages to make them all entertaining and informative. In addition, the interested reader will gain a little Cymraeg along the way.

This book will be most enjoyed by those of Welsh heritage; but for those with even a mild curiosity about the people on the other side of Offa's Dyke I would heartily recommend Bred of Heaven.

Showbiz, A Novel
Showbiz, A Novel
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Showbiz, A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I was hoping that this would be a fun, light read, and after reading all of the rave reviews I was really anticipating that, but I was very disappointed. I'm a big theater fan and the premise of the book was so promising, but I just couldn't get past the absolutely awful writing. The story just seemed to be one hackneyed cliche connected to another. I don't expect Jane Austen when I'm reading a book like this, but I do expect a minimal level of professionalism, and this novel didn't have it.

Dansko Women's Valerie Canvas,Sand,41 EU/10.5-11 M US
Dansko Women's Valerie Canvas,Sand,41 EU/10.5-11 M US
Offered by OnlineShoes
Price: $54.97
4 used & new from $49.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite comfortable, July 24, 2013
I bought these because I wanted a more summery Dansko shoe to wear in the warmer weather. Overall, I'm quite pleased with them. They're cute, and they have the arch support I need from Dansko. I do find the strap a little uncomfortable after I've been wearing them for a while, and they are heavier than your usual summer sandal, but for someone like me who really needs a supportive shoe, they are a good choice.

Hot in Cleveland Season 2 [HD]
Hot in Cleveland Season 2 [HD]
Price: $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writing and great cast, part 2, July 24, 2013
I'm currently in the middle of watching Season 2 and am enjoying it just as much as Season 1. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Hot in Cleveland Season 1 [HD]
Hot in Cleveland Season 1 [HD]
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writing and great cast, July 24, 2013
This show is consistently funny, and the cast works really well together. Betty White is a great foil for the three younger women and there is a steady stream of great guest stars. I particularly enjoyed seeing Susan Lucci go up against Wendie Malick!

Hamilton Beach 46201 12 Cup Digital Coffeemaker, Stainless Steel
Hamilton Beach 46201 12 Cup Digital Coffeemaker, Stainless Steel
Price: $38.99
69 used & new from $30.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally pleased, a few minor issues., June 25, 2013
We had a Cuisinart coffee maker which we bought after reading the many rave reviews here. We liked the coffee it made very much, but it simply stopped working after just over a year (e.g., just after the warranty was up - hmmm.) Decided to replace it with a different model and went with this Hamilton Beach.

Overall, we like this quite well. The pros include the removable water reservoir (much easier to add water than with the Cuisinart's narrow opening), the easy-to-read display and the push-button access to the swing-out filter basket (which is easy to remove for cleaning.)

Cons: The coffee just doesn't seem to be as hot as the coffee from the Cuisinart. It seems hot when it's done brewing, but it cools down fast. I find myself sometimes having to microwave my cup after I'm halfway done.

Also, while the coffee tastes OK, it doesn't taste quite as good as the coffee from the Cuisinart. There is an optional water filter available (for separate purchase) and I may try that.

I've owned a zillion coffee makers over the years and this one is probably among the best in terms of ease of use, but I think the Cuisinart edges it out in terms of the coffee taste and temperature.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2013 11:26 AM PST

IOGEAR SD/MicroSD/MMC Card Reader/Writer GFR204SD (Green/Gray)
IOGEAR SD/MicroSD/MMC Card Reader/Writer GFR204SD (Green/Gray)
Price: Click here to see our price
68 used & new from $3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, June 25, 2013
I dropped my camera while on vacation and needed some way to transfer the photos from the SD card to my computer. I didn't even know these little devices existed until someone from the younger generation told me about them! I ordered this and it did exactly what I needed it to do. It's true that there is not much of a user manual included, but I didn't really need one. I just inserted the SD card into the reader, plugged it into my computer and let the computer do the rest. It recognized the device and came up with various options for reading the data stored on the card. Will probably use this again for downloading pictures, as it's easier than finding the cable to connect the camera to the PC.

Gavin and Stacey Season 1 [HD]
Gavin and Stacey Season 1 [HD]
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and sweet, April 9, 2013
My husband actually started watching this first and I came in later, but was immediately hooked on this series set in England and Wales. The characters are quirky and interesting and the writing is very good.

Bemis 500EC062 Molded Wood Round Toilet Seat With Easy Clean and Change Hinge, Ice Grey
Price: $16.43
20 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect color match; easy to install, September 1, 2012
We have a Universal-Rundle toilet of uncertain vintage - late 80s, perhaps? - in grey. It matches the sink in the bathroom and when we realized we needed to replace the toilet seat, I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to find a color match. After reading the reviews here I took a chance and ordered this seat. The color actually matches perfectly and my husband said the installation was very easy. It seems well made and sturdy, too. Very happy with the purchase!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3