Profile for LegalBeagle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 168

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

LegalBeagle RSS Feed (Maryland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Fresh Kitty Litter Box Liners, 30 Count Jumbo
Fresh Kitty Litter Box Liners, 30 Count Jumbo
Price: $10.99
5 used & new from $5.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality., March 23, 2015
My cats shredded through these liners on the first or second time they used their litter box. Very disappointed in how flimsy the liners. I think a plastic trash bag would have been sturdier. I would not recommend these liners

Tiki Cat Gourmet Whole Food 12-Pack Tahitian Grill Sardine Cutlets Pet Food
Tiki Cat Gourmet Whole Food 12-Pack Tahitian Grill Sardine Cutlets Pet Food
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $20.94
5 used & new from $18.35

3.0 out of 5 stars High Quality but my Cats Didn't like it, September 23, 2013
Tiki is a great high quality cat food maker and this one is no exception. It contained real sardines in a solid consomme. My cats, however, must not like sardines as they refused to eat it. So if your cats like sardines this is the product for them.

TIKI Cat Napili Wild Salmon and Chicken in Chicken Consomme Canned Cat Food (Pack of 12, 2.8 Ounce Cans)
2 used & new from $30.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If I ever eat Cat food it will be Tiki's, September 23, 2013
My super finicky cats LOVE Tiki's Wild Salmon and Chicken Consomme -- even my cat who never liked wet food -- now they come running when I open the can. It is a high quality product that looks appetizing -- solely shredded mea/fish in a little broth. It also smells good. And it is highly ranked on petfood review sites so I feel good about feeding it to my cats.

Proviable DC for Cats and Dogs, 80 Capsules
Proviable DC for Cats and Dogs, 80 Capsules
Price: $31.48
6 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves a lot of Vet Bills, September 23, 2013
My dogs are prone to frequent GI problems. My vet recommended Proviable DC to clear up a bad bout and it worked within two days. Now I keep all 3 of my dogs on Proviable as maintenance measure. Proviable DC keeps them regular. Only my oldest dog on chemo occasionally continues to have GI problems and it would be much worse without Proviable. I also save a bunch by buying through Amazon (as opposed to my pricey vet). I love Proviable DC!

An Accidental Mother
An Accidental Mother
by Katherine Anne Kindred
Price: $17.37
43 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Love Letter from a "Mom" to her Son, October 2, 2011
This review is from: An Accidental Mother (Hardcover)
Today side-by-side traditional nuclear families are a myriad of other "families." In the memoir An Accidental Mother by Katherine Anne Kindred, the author shares her experiences as part of one such "nontraditional" family.

After forty-something Kindred's second marriage dissolved, so did her dream of having a child. Life, however, had other plans for Kindred. When Kindred entered into a relationship with Jim she became a surrogate parent to his motherless, young son Michael. And for the next six years while Kindred cohabitated with Jim and Michael the trio morphed into a cohesive family unit. As Kindred confesses:

"He [Michael] did not come from my belly, and we have no genetic link, but he has become my sun, my moon, my stars. And I have become his mother."

Sadly, this loving relationship was terminated by Jim when he and Kindred split.

An Accidental Mother is Kindred's love letter to Michael. Interspersed between Kindred's humorous (and not so humorous) recollections and Michael's artwork, her love and devotion to Michael is apparent. From her daily "Good Morning Sunshine" greeting to rouse the slumbering little boy to the nightly dream stories she created while tucking him into bed, Michael is clearly Kindred's sun, moon and stars!

Hopefully, someday Michael will have the chance to read this profoundly touching tribute from his "Mom."

Review copy provided courtesy of the publisher.

Lost and Found: Unexpected Revelations About Food and Money
Lost and Found: Unexpected Revelations About Food and Money
by Geneen Roth
207 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Finance Book for Non Finance Readers, August 20, 2011
On December 10, 2008, author Geneen Roth and her husband had a comfy million dollar nest egg. No trust fund babies, Roth and her husband had acquired this substantial sum through over three decades of hard work including writing books, leading workshops, and giving speeches. On December 11, 2008, however, Roth and her husband were broke -just another one of the hapless Madoff victims.

In Lost and Found Roth analyzes her relationship with and beliefs about money. Roth confesses, "my relationship to money was no different from my relationship to food, to love, to fabulous sweaters. Because I was never aware of what I already had, I never felt as if I had enough. I was always focused on [what] . . . was to come . . . ." From this 20/20 vantage point she explores how her money "hang -ups" led her to investing in the largest Ponzi scheme in history. Roth wanted to believe that she was special (don't we all?) with a paternalistic Madoff (who shared the same name as her late father) looking out for her hard earned dollars. After losing almost everything she had, a poorer, but wiser Roth embarks on a new course with her future earnings (which according to Roth are rebounding) of responsibility and awareness.

What I really liked about Lost and Found is that Roth did what so few of the Madoff victims have done (remember the Park Avenue bad lady Alexandra Penney?): acknowledge her part in the fiasco of not paying attention to how her money was managed. To be clear, Roth does not forgive Madoff or otherwise absolve him of blame, but she does admit to having her head in the sand when it came to her finances which enabled Madoff to steal her lifesavings. She also gives a hard number (a million dollars) so that the reader can appreciate the enormity of her loss.

Lost and Found is not your typical money memoir, because Roth while on the comeback trail does not have it all together, but this makes it better!

First Time Dad: The Stuff You Really Need to Know
First Time Dad: The Stuff You Really Need to Know
by John Fuller
Price: $11.09
100 used & new from $1.76

4.0 out of 5 stars A Primer in How to Be a Great Dad, August 20, 2011
Know a father-to-be or a new father? Then First-Time Dad by John Fuller is a perfect gift! Because while becoming a dad is an exciting milestone event, it can also be feel a little overwhelming too.

Stepping in to offer guidance to new father's everywhere is First-Time Dad. Fuller is a Christian broadcaster/author, but more importantly he is a father of six. One caveat for non-Christian readers is that Christian references are weaved into the book, but not in a proselytizing manner.

In First-Time Dad, Fuller shares practical tips, anecdotes and philosophical points to ponder in bringing up baby, including:

What Fatherhood is All About;

Time and Priorities;

How a Baby Affects Your Family;

Loving Your Wife;

Helping Your Child Succeed; and

Spiritual Formation.

Fist-Time Dad is an accessible book with chapters mixing wisdom and practical advice and is suitable even for the most sleep-deprived fathers!

Review copy provided courtesy of the publicist.

Passage
Passage
by Sandy Powers
Price: $12.43
48 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Proving that Truth is Stranger than Fiction!, August 20, 2011
This review is from: Passage (Paperback)
Under the category of "truth is stranger than fiction" is the incredible life story of Grace Balogh as detailed by her daughter Sandy Powers in Passage. To the world (and her children) Grace Balogh appeared to be just another Middle America housewife and mother. However, shortly after her death, Powers uncovers her mother's astonishing past which included a stint as volunteer spy for the U.S government; eyewitness to a murder; child abuse survivor, and an adoptee with a stolen inheritance!

Grace's story spans from 1915 through the mid-1950s and is conveyed through her journals, letters, and newspaper clippings. An American saga is how I would describe Grace's life because much of it reads as if written from the headlines of the 30's, 40's and 50's: a young Depression era mother struggling to feed her growing family; a World War II supporter and correspondent to several GIs; and a U.S. communist party spy for the government in the McCarthy Era. In fact, Grace does make the news as this headline attests: "Housewife Tells of Aid to FBI by Joining Reds."

Passage is a book that I literally could not put down! Page after remarkable page kept me riveted to the final entry. And when it finished I wanted more which is always the mark of a great read! I especially would have liked additional information about the identity/ back story behind Grace's biological parents. Still I loved Passage's authenticity which included not only verbatim letters, journal entries, and newspaper articles, but also copies of official documents including a real ration booklet. Details like these made Passage feel like I was rummaging through Grace's personal archives!

Thanks to Power's Grace Balogh's fascinating story is able to be shared with not only her children, but readers everywhere!

Review copy provided courtesy of the author.

Don't Kill the Birthday Girl: Tales from an Allergic Life
Don't Kill the Birthday Girl: Tales from an Allergic Life
by Sandra Beasley
93 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Enlightening!, August 20, 2011
Peanut and butter and jelly sandwiches and children's lunches used to be the go-to-meal for tikes everywhere. Today, however, peanut butter has become almost a contraband item. Schools are restricting where PBJ sandwiches can be eaten (as in peanut-free tables) or banning them all together because of peanut allergies. And peanuts aren't the only culinary bad guys. The most common food allergens, known as the "Big 8"are (drum roll, please): wheat; eggs; soy; cow dairy; fish; shellfish; peanuts; and tree nuts (cashews, walnuts pecans, etc.). Over twelve million Americans suffer from food allergies and the number is rising.

Sandra Beaseley, author of Don't Kill the Birthday Girl, suffers from severe food allergies, including some of the Big 8, plus other more unique allergens such as cucumbers, cantaloupe and mustard. Through the years, Beasley has experienced many anaphylactic shocks and many, more close calls, but Don't Kill the Birthday Girl is no Debbie Downer read. Rather the memoir is filled with humor, candor and information, sometimes all at the same time. For instance, Beasley shares how she dealt with school birthday parties:

Twelve hazelnuts. Precisely, twelve hazelnuts . . . . I would line them up in the pencil grove at the top of my desk and ask if anyone else wanted one. No one else ever wanted one.

I'd try to match the pacing of everyone else's treat. Three hazelnuts as people licked off the frosting; three as people took huge bites of the moist, spongy cake; three as people licked the baking sleeves clean; . . . and three final nuts . . . as the teacher went around the room with the wastebasket to collect wrappers and napkins.

Beasley, however, is surprisingly balanced concerning the rights of the allergic versus the non-allergic. I say surprisingly, because I fully expected Beaseley, as a person with severe food allergies, to preach abstinence of certain foods in public to protect the highly allergic, but her arguments are far more nuanced and, hence, more compelling. As Beasley explains, "My job is to center on staying safe in this world, but my job is never to assume the world should revolve around keeping me safe."

Don't Kill the Birthday Girl is a memoir that should be read by anyone who seeks a better understanding of a food allergies or just a great read!

Advance review copy provided courtesy of the publisher.

Skipping a Beat: A Novel
Skipping a Beat: A Novel
by Sarah Pekkanen
44 used & new from $1.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful Look at a Modern Marriage, August 20, 2011
Second chances are what we all crave at one time or another. In Skipping a Beat by Sarah Pekkanen, Michael Dunhill, after dying for 4:08 minutes, is given a second chance at life. But is it too little too late?

Before his near death experience Dunhill, founder and CEO of DrinkUp, a 70 million dollar beverage company, was always chasing the latest idea to expand his corporate empire and enrich his wealth. Along the way Dunhill took some questionable shortcuts. Additionally, Dunhill's marriage to high school sweetheart Julia has moved in an inverse direction to the success of DrinkUp; to the point where the couple is more like roommates than husband and wife. As Julia reflects:

By the time my husband collapsed at work, he and I hadn't talked - I mean really talked, one of our all-night heart-to hearts - in years, which is crazy, because talking was all we used to do . . . .

Now when I mentally trace the trajectory of our relationship - and I've had plenty of time to do it, lots of silent evenings alone in our home - I realize there wasn't a sharp breaking point or single furious argument that set us on our current path.

After Dunhill's Lazarus-like return from the dead, he decides to give away his fortune and start anew with wife Julia. She, understandably, has trouble with the new Michael and is ambivalent as to whether to remain in the marriage. Julia agrees, however, to give Michael three weeks before making a decision. The remainder of the plot details these pivotal three weeks.

Skipping a Beat, told from Julia's point-of-view, is a thoughtful novel that sweats the details. By that I mean the author delves into a myriad of topics, including opera, Fibonacci numbers, and the beverage industry, to enrich the narrative. She has done her research and it shows! My primary criticism of the novel is that it would have benefitted from alternating the point-of-view to include Michael as I had difficulty appreciating Michael's eleventh hour change. Another minor criticism is that the character, Noah, seems like a one dimensional plot device.

Overall, however, Skipping a Beat is a realistic depiction of a modern marriage that restores one's faith in the power to change.

Review copy provided courtesy of the publisher.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17