Profile for Brett > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brett RSS Feed

Free Money "They" Don't Want You to Know About (Kevin Trudeau's Free Money)
Free Money "They" Don't Want You to Know About (Kevin Trudeau's Free Money)
by Kevin Trudeau
Price: $12.52
111 used & new from $2.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Total rip off by a convicted scam artist, March 17, 2014
Kevin Trudeau was just sentenced to 10 years in prison for writing books like this. The judge said he was an unrepentant scam artist who made money off the unsuspecting public. Don't be another one of his victims, stay away from anything that has his name on it. I'm actually surprised Amazon still has this for sale.

LACASA BEDDING 800 TC Egyptian cotton Sheet Set Italian Finish Solid ( Queen , Silver Grey )
Price: $124.67

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete rip off., March 10, 2014
There's a reason why LaCasa is able to sell these sheet sets for half the price of other Egyptian cotton sheets sets. That reason is they're terrible quality. The sheets are rough and scratchy and start to pill within one week of use. In my opinion the sheets are not 800 threadcount or Egyptian cotton. Even the packaging they send them in is terrible. It goes to show what they think of their own sheets. Don't waste your money on these.

LACASA BEDDING 800 TC Egyptian cotton Sheet set with 26" Extra Deep Pocket Italian Finish Solid ( King , White )
Price: $169.63

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money., March 10, 2014
The sheets are extremely poor quality. They are nothing like other Egyptian cotton sheets I have purchased. They are rough and scratchy and have started to pill with just one weeks use. In my opinion they are not 800 threadcount or Egyptian cotton.

LACASA BEDDING 800 TC Egyptian cotton Fitted sheet 24" Extra Deep Pocket Italian Finish Solid ( Cal-King , White )
Price: $130.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality i was hoping for., January 30, 2014
The sheets feel soft out of package but are noticeably thinner and lighter weight than other 800 thread count sheets I have purchased. I would say these are closer to 300 - 400 thread count. I can see through these, which I can't with my old 800 thread count sheets. Unfortunately the price is what you would pay for 800 thread count. When these wear out I will be going back to the previous set.

UPDATE: After having slept on this sheet for a couple of nights, I would lower my rating to 2 stars. The sheet is very scratchy and has a rough feel. In my opinion they are not Egyptian cotton and certainly not 800 thread count. A disappointing purchase.

Clara Clark Premier 1800 Collection 4pc Bed Sheet Set - Cal King Size, Navy Blue,
Price: $23.19
6 used & new from $22.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by 1800 threadcount, December 11, 2013
Although These sheets say 1800 threadcount, they are more like the 150 threadcount sheets you buy at target. They are thin to the point of being see-through and the workmanship is relatively poor. The pockets are not deep enough to fit more than a standard size mattress. That being said they are probably worth the $30 price. Cheap price equals cheap sheets. This is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. The one thing I can say for them is that they are soft. I hope to get six months use out of them which for $30 is all I can expect.

3" 5lb. Sensus Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Topper Overlay (Cal King Size)
Offered by Bestbeds
Price: $457.77
2 used & new from $408.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice upgrade to an older mattress, March 7, 2013
I had previously owned a 3lb memory foam topper, and found it to be way too soft. Not much different from foam rubber. Based on that experience, I decided to try the 5lb, and it's much better. It's very firm, but softens with body temperature as well as room temperature. It's extremely comfortable, to the point where it's much harder to get out of bed than it used to be. And I'm sleeping much better. The only down side, is that memory foam does trap body heat and reflects it back to you. In winter it's great, in summer it can result in having to set the AC on a lower temp to sleep comfortably. If you really like a cold bed, this probably isn't for you.

One note of caution - trying to return this would be almost impossible. I can't imagine trying to roll it back up and fit it inside the packing box after it has expanded to its normal size.

How Will You Measure Your Life?
How Will You Measure Your Life?
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars How to live your life, like a Mormon, June 17, 2012
Having grown up in the Mormon church including serving as a Mormon missionary, it's very easy for me to spot Mormon beliefs even if they're not stated as such. I was only a short way into this book before I started thinking the author has to be Mormon. My suspicions were confirmed when I read that he and his daughter had both been missionaries and that he also taught at BYU.

There's no doubt that he has some very practical advice. Putting your family ahead of your career, not making your life about the pursuit of money, living a life of morality and spirituality - these are all principles that will serve anyone well. And the examples he gave of different businesses succeeding or failing based on the decisions that they made, was very interesting.

My only real complaint with the book is that he uses it to push the Mormon lifestyle without actually saying that's what he's doing.
If he had just said at the outset "I'm a Mormon and what I'm telling you are fundamental principles of my religion", I wouldn't have a problem with it. Putting your family ahead of everything else, making your decisions from a spiritual center - these are fundamentals of the Mormon religion, and they're essentially what a large part of the book is about.

However, the part of the book I had the biggest problem with was near the end when he talks about not compromising on your beliefs "not even one time". He gave the example of being on a sports team and refusing to play a game because it happened to be on a Sunday, and he did not believe in playing sports on Sunday. He Used this as an example of holding true to his beliefs. He easily dismisses the negative impact to the rest of his team and the awkward position he put his coach in. What he should have been saying to himself is "if I know I can't play any games on Sundays then why am I signing up for this team". This struck me particularly hard because growing up as a teenager in the Mormon church, I had many friends who wanted to play on sports teams and they always complained how coaches were reluctant to put Mormons on their teams because they refuse to play on Sunday. All they could see is that they were holding true to their beliefs, they were never able to understand it from the coach's point of view, and what a handicap they would be to the team.

I do think the book has value and it's worth reading. Just keep in mind that the principles he espouses are coming more from his church than they are from him.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2012 6:29 PM PDT

Snugg iPad 4 & iPad 3 Leather Case in Black - Flip Stand Cover with Elastic Hand Strap and Premium Nubuck Fibre Interior - Automatically Wakes and Puts the Apple iPad 4 & 3 to Sleep
Offered by TheSnugg
Price: $59.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the new IPad (3), March 21, 2012
This is the perfect case for the new iPad 3. The new iPad fits snugly yet not too tight, and does everything as described. including waking and putting the iPad to sleep. I couldn't ask for anything more especially for the price.