Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for cilisi > Reviews

Browse

cilisi's Profile

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

cilisi RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Michel Design Works Vanity Tray, Seashore
Michel Design Works Vanity Tray, Seashore
Price: $23.15
7 used & new from $23.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Color not accurate, and very small., June 20, 2016
This is a cute tray as long as you know that it is VERY small and that the blue painted wood may not be the the colour it is in the picture. In the tray I got, the blue of the wood border is a much stronger, more saturated blue so it doesn't match the other items in the set which are a paler light blue and look like the picture. I was disappointed. It is still a cute tray and we use it, just not where we intended and not for what we intended.

Bike Bell 2" Classic All Metal Body High Quality Ring Sound for Bike bicycle
Bike Bell 2" Classic All Metal Body High Quality Ring Sound for Bike bicycle
Offered by Bigent
Price: $2.12
22 used & new from $2.11

1.0 out of 5 stars Think twice about the metal thumb control., February 21, 2016
It's nice to have retro options. However, if you were wondering why most all-metal bells have disappeared, it's because having that sharp metal thumb control sticking out above your handle bars is dangerous. My sister ended up in surgery after getting severely gashed by her metal bell thumb control when she crashed her bike. The bell did damage that the sidewalk and handlebars didn't do (the kind of damage a large exposed screw could do). Life is dangerous, and we can't be wrapped in padding, but if it's for a kid, think twice abut the exposed metal thumb control.

Signature Sleep Contour 8-Inch Independently Encased Coil Mattress with CertiPUR-US Certified Foam, Twin. Available in Multiple Sizes
Price: $136.96
47 used & new from $133.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mattress for bunkbed, October 1, 2015
I was worried that an inexpensive mattress might be a mistake, but took a chance because of the reviews here. I got it for a bunkbed for a slim teenager and it has been great so far (1.5 years). It is not too firm, it is what I consider comfy. I can't feel the wood slats through the mattress, which I have with other bunkbed mattresses (not sure if they were 6" instead of 8"). It doesn't yet sag or have dips in it. We occasionally lie on it together and the extra weight hasn't affected it. I like it much better than memory foam. If it starts sagging in the next couple of years, I will come back and downgrade my review, but 1.5 years in it is still 5 stars.

Coaster Fine Furniture 460273 Convertible Loft Bed, Twin, White Finish
Coaster Fine Furniture 460273 Convertible Loft Bed, Twin, White Finish
Offered by Furniture Creations
Price: Click here to see our price
6 used & new from $723.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome bed for teenager! (See attached photos..), October 1, 2015
This is such a great bed!! It is solidly built, sturdy, straight-forward to assemble, extremely practical and very nice looking. We got the Signature Sleep 8 inch mattress with it and it is just the right depth so that the railings around the top bunk provide about a 4 inch barrier, which is perfect. You cannot feel the wood slats through the mattress (I was worried because we have always had box springs.) The cushion seats are very comfortable and the table works well for my teenager who does her homework there, and for us when we are helping. I have also been on the top bunk many times with my daughter and our combined weight of 260 pounds has not been a problem. (The stated 120 pound upper limit is very conservative.)

This bed has been a huge win for us; my daughter's room is 9' x 11' and now it is so much better for schoolwork and friends. The bottom bunk is very convenient and comfortable. We keep a rag mat under the bed to throw on top of the table before converting it to a bed, to prevent scratches. (Once she forgot and the table got a 2" long deep scratch from a staple on the underside of one of the cushions.) When it is not a bed and she has friends over, she does art at the table with them.

The cons to this bed are: 1) the ladder steps are narrow and dig into your arches; we solved this by cutting a foam pool noodle into lengths, cutting a slit along one side and putting them on to the ladder steps to make them cushy. To keep them in place we used designer duct tape (pink and black plaid!). It worked perfectly, cost a couple of dollars and has lasted more than a year so far. 2) the wood rails under the mattress aren't painted so when you sit on the couch you see unpainted pine slats above you. This is kind of jarring when everything else about the bed is beautifully painted and lacquered. 3) you must remember to cover the table before putting the cushions on it in the bed conversion to prevent damage; 4) the back cushions of the couch were both curved slightly so don't sit entirely flat against the frame, if you are a stickler for details; 5) the top bunk is high so you will need a step stool or wooden chair next to the bed if you want to kiss your child goodnight; 6) finally, the company that sold us the bed thru Amazon said they would not cover faults with the bed that were not reported at the moment of delivery, and that I had to unpack everything in front of the delivery guy. I could not do this so I took photos of the damaged boxes. Happily, the bed had been super well packed so that none of the box damage reached the bed. But the policy is very stressful!!

I still give the bed 5 stars because we love it, it is everything we wanted it to be, and none of the above issues affects how much we love it :-)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2015 8:21 AM PST

Disney Kids' W000970 Frozen Snow Queen Watch with Pink Nylon Band
Disney Kids' W000970 Frozen Snow Queen Watch with Pink Nylon Band
Price: $13.24
12 used & new from $13.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch strap doesn't adapt easily to different size wrists and is scratchy., January 28, 2015
My 8 year old niece was delighted with the appearance of this watch but the strap was a deal breaker. The strap comes prefolded for an expected wrist size and does not adapt well to smaller wrist sizes; instead it bulges out at the point it was previously folded so she has to pull it really tight to get the bulge to flatten out. At this tightness, it is uncomfortable; when it is looser it rotates around her wrist so the face is away from her. Finally, it has a scratchy part on the strap at the edge of the velcro. Bottom line: this is a nice looking watch that will spend its life on the dresser :-(

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cross; great present for someone with Irish roots, January 28, 2015
Purchased this for my Irish mother who gave it as a confirmation present to my daughter. It was exactly the right size for her, looks beautiful, and doesn't give her a rash (she is very allergic to nickel and even sterling silver, which can be up to 7% nickel, gives her a rash). We are very happy with it.

Loopdedoo Spinning Loom Kit Friendship Bracelet Maker
Loopdedoo Spinning Loom Kit Friendship Bracelet Maker
Price: $19.99
67 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great birthday present for 11 year old girl, June 4, 2013
Two kids can work together to make these bracelets (so they really are friendship bracelets) and require less patience than the traditional kind!

My 11 year old has made at least 50 bracelets at this point including every type that the videos show.
It is really fun for two good friends to do together since one can turn the wheel while the other works the threads so it has been a big success at playdates and sleepovers.

The bracelets are a lot easier to make than most friendship bracelets and the varieties are really neat and different. A bracelet takes about five minutes to make BUT it takes about ten minutes to untangle the threads before threading them on the Loopdedoo. I don't know why they get tangled up so much but if someone has a trick to prevent that, please share!

My daughter and her friends *love* these bracelets and everyone wants one. My husband is even wearing one my daughter gave him :-) Loads of toys cost what this does and aren't worth more than a few days of play whereas this has been great for weeks. We have already given this toy to two of my daughter's close friends.

Tips:
1) order the refill thread pack with the kit.
2) you *must* watch the videos, not just use the instruction manual.
3) if it is a present for someone <12,
- watch the video with them because the knot explanations are a bit fast
- make the first couple together so they understand the importance of measuring the right length for wrist and ankle length and cutting the threads at the right place
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2015 8:57 AM PST

Conquering Schizophrenia: A Father, His Son, and a Medical Breakthrough
Conquering Schizophrenia: A Father, His Son, and a Medical Breakthrough
by Peter Wyden
52 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, informative blend of first-person experience and cultural/scientific context, February 6, 2013
This book is an unusual contribution to the literature on schizophrenia in that it includes: the first person experiences of a father struggling with his son's intractable illness; a historical perspective on the evolution of psychiatric interventions for schizophrenia over a 25 year period; a detailed description of the economics and politics of drug development and marketing; interactions with leading people in psychiatry at leading places; the history of patient advocacy; the trials of dealing with bureaucracy, constantly changing theories and treatments, stigma, and poorly run social services; and much more.

This book is great for people with a strong academic and personal interest in schizophrenia. If you are primarily interested in what it is like to be the parent, or what it is like to be the person affected, you may find the exhaustive, journalistic aspects of this book hard going. In that case, I would recommend Lori Schiller's The Quiet Room since it provides some parent perspective, much more patient perspective, and fewer academic digressions. It also allows you to see the patient as active in their improvement, rather than a passive recipient of treatments. Finally, if you are anti-drug, this book will not be for you since the message in both the title and ultimately the ending is pro-drug. I have seen patients improve dramatically on clozapine so I understand the author's reaction at finally seeing something make a difference. On the other hand, these drugs have a lot of negative side-effects, they are not magic bullets, and in the end, as anyone who wants to use google can find out, Wyden's story does not have the happy ending he worked for and thought he saw. But he made a big difference in the quality of his son's life, he didn't give up on him, and the kind of commitment that he modelled over the long haul is what it is going to take, in family members and researchers, for things to change.

Klutz Friendship Bracelets Craft Kit
Klutz Friendship Bracelets Craft Kit
Price: $13.68
81 used & new from $4.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for age 10+, November 14, 2011
I bought this for my crafty 8 year old. She was very interested in making friendship bracelets and excited to get started. The instructions are clear but even the easiest bracelet is time-consuming and requires a lot of dexterity and sustained focus. She managed to make a few of the easiest bracelets in the book, but she couldn't take advantage of the instructions for the harder bracelets. I think a more accurate age range for this product would be 10+.

She found on youtube a description of how to make a friendship bracelet wheel [...] This approach to friendship bracelets was much easier and more fun for her, and I think is better suited to the 6-9 year old crafty crowd.

Emily of New Moon: Season 1
Emily of New Moon: Season 1
DVD ~ Martha MacIsaac
Offered by Down South Treasures
Price: $10.55
88 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read the negative reviews before buying..., January 31, 2011
This review is from: Emily of New Moon: Season 1 (DVD)
I bought this for my 8 year old because she loved the Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables DVDs. This was a huge disappointment. From my daughter's point of view it alternated between scary (ghosts of dead parents visiting) and boring. She hasn't even seen it all because she doesn't want to, while she has seen the Hallmark LHOP movie and the entire AOGG series dozens of times. From my point of view, the acting was really weak so it was very hard for me to watch with her (which I had to do because she was so frightened by the ghost scenes). DO NOT BUY THIS because your child loves quality books and films about the old days. You will be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4