Profile for A. Person > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Person RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Discover it®
Discover it®

5.0 out of 5 stars Got It, March 10, 2015
This review is from: Discover it® (Financial Product)
Got my gift card code and added it to my account one week yes ONE week after making my first purchase.

Unlike the timing others mentioned, I did not get any email telling me I qualified for the offer until the day after I already received the card and activated it.

Customer service told me that people not receiving it are probably not clicking the link on here when applying. And, of course, as some here have mentioned, you need to meet all of the requirements, such as having no other discover card.

TiVo TCD758250 Premiere XL4 Digital Video Recorder (Black)
TiVo TCD758250 Premiere XL4 Digital Video Recorder (Black)
Offered by weaKnees DVR Superstore
Price: $219.99
5 used & new from $219.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good In Some Ways, February 1, 2013
Well, people who rated this 5 stars clearly have not used the directv hr24 dvr. There's not much of anything this dvr does better other than it has 4 tuners. now, if I was rating this based on the concept of using a tivo and OWNING all your recordings from now on (or most of them) vs. "leasing" directv instead (the hr24 or their tivo or whatever else), I would rate this 5 stars in that regard. But the tivo and service is very overrated here.

Mostly whhat hurts the experience, and makes me laugh at people talking about how great the interface is, is that this interface is very horrible. Many actions require combinations of buttons with no on-screen explanation, for example, so you have to read the manual and memorize combinations. Then any time something requires selecting letters, such as searching, since the right and left buttons don't stay confined to the area with the letters, you can't even wrap around lines and have to instead press the arrow many times to go back to the beginning of the row. It is VERY VERY VERY clunky, moving extremely slowly. Then if you accidentally press it one too many times, it exits the menu, since the elft button exits so many menus.

If you are watching something from "my shows" and you want to look at something in the tivo menu, you can't evene xit back out of the menu to your show being played! The ONLY way to even exit the tivo menu is to press the live tv button, which then goes to a live show, even if you were watching a recorded one before entering the menu.

There is no way to turn the tivo truly off. You could put it in standby, but it's still chugging along with 4 tuners all having shows being temporarily downloaded, so most likely it's going to make the unit break quicker from overuse and cost people a new lifetime license if they can't fix it.

Just about the only feature this has which the hr24 didn't is wish lists. And they are almost unuseabkle for tv series because when you look at the list of upcoming shows it will only have the titles listed instead of episode titles! So going through the REGULAR search is better, as you can scan through and quickly click to record the episodes you want. Well, I say quickly, but it takes probably 20 times as long to do it as on the hr24. On that one you can simply highlight the tv show and press record and it's all set up with your default settings. On this one you must go through slow, clunky menus and there is apparently no way to save default settings so you have to change it from "until space is needed" to "until I delete" every time you record something.

Keeping track of what is currently on each of the four tuners is done better than with directv receivers, but that's about the only thing I can think of which I have liked much so far. Or wish lists for movies. And by the way... I used an actor for a keyword in wish lists and since it limits it to 10 results if you use the option of viewing all upcomng for ALL wish lists at once, it had a lot of them missing, thus making that feature a waste of time, usually, also.

There is not only a lack of a power off button, but there is no stop button either. lol All of these things you assume would be a button for any dvr are missing. So in the middle of watching a recorded show, if you want to stop, you have to pretty much press the swap button to even exit out of it.

Maybe years ago tivo had the best interface, but this is far behind other companies now. Moving through the menus on the other dvr I mentioned was speedy and everything was intuitive. This just seems thrown together and clunky slowwwwwwww movements for close to a grand in price to have a lifetime license and own the unit. Andf I highly doubt they will release any update to speed it up, as it's been out for well over a year and still this slow.

Oh, also it only automatically saves 30 minutes of programming per tuner with live tv, whereas directv stored 90 minutes, which came in handy when I didn't want to set up recordings, but wanted to start watching something late. As bad as the process is to set up a recording, I sure wouldn't want to go through setting it to record every show I normally would watch an hour later than its start.

So bottom line: yes, it overall has good features, you don't have to lose your recordings if you switch providers or locations, and so far it SEEMS to "get the job done". It's just that the experience of setting it to do anything is very slow and tedious and worse than other dvrs. I probably typoed 100 times in this, while rushing through it, but I don't care.

Epson Home Cinema 3020 1080p, HDMI, 3LCD, Real 3D, 2300 Lumens Color and White Brightness, Home Theater Projector
Price: $1,344.91
22 used & new from $600.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, Overall, January 20, 2013
I am using the 3020e, but have not tested its wireless HD feature yet, so everything I've tried is the same as this 3020.

The image quality is overall very good. It ahs bad black levels, as I had read elsewhere before trying it, but most everything else is very good, such as color accuracy and shadow detail. For watching on a small size screen it would not be considered a very good picture, but when being able to watch such large sizes, it seems less of an annoyance that the black level is so mediocre and causing the image to seem washed out, etc...

The noise of the projector itself is not nearly as distracting as I figured it would be when reading reviews stating that it's loud. And technically you could use cinema eco mode and have a good image and much much more quier projectr and saving lamp life.

I am likely returning it, though, for several reasons.

1. placement- how in the world could you really place this on a coffee table or stand? The bottom of the projected image is several inches BELOW the lens height. I guess if you have it low enough your line of sight would be such that you would still see the whole screen, though, now that I think about it. So far I haven't figured a way to place it in front of me anyway to test it so maybe I am exaggerating in my mind how it would be. But either way it's not ideal having the projector in front of you anyway. Ceiling mount would be best, but that would be more work.

2. brightness- with total darkness the image is plenty bright, but hardly any ambient light causes major issues. Like with my other comment, this is true of most, or all, projectors, so these downsides are more based on technology. Thus why i am rating it 4 stars, not 3, because if you've already decided you want this technology then this would be a 4 star purchase with the only downside compared to other projectors being black level.

Anywayyyyy, so for me personally, it's not too ideal for what I want. I wanted to have it be my ONLY means of watching tv or movies and then selling my hx929. Projectors are more ideal for only atching occasionally and in the dark. SO I may end up keeping my tv, returning this, then down the road buying it when I have a better setup to allow for using both. Again, my complaints about projectors does NOT factor into the rating or I would have rated it 3. It's very cool to be able to have such a nice picture in a large size.

I saw some comparison pictures on a review site and there are several projectors which have much better black levels, even for close to the same price. But they usually lack 3D or are worse in other ways.

PlayStation 3 3D Glasses
PlayStation 3 3D Glasses
Offered by BiH Electronics
Price: $5.88
52 used & new from $5.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, December 29, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Well, I originally posted about how the glasses kept constantly causing the room to get brighter and dimmer. I since found out it was because my wii u sensor bar was blocking the 3D transmitter of my hx929 tv.

So, now it works fine, but I see a ton of reflections inside the glasses and when white text is on a black background the text is doubled far away from where the real text is.

Hopefully someone who has answers notices my review and can tell me if other glasses would be better. It wouldn't be considered crosstalk, would it? Even when the glasses are off and I walk around a room I see reflections on the inside of the glasses, so I assume when I am seeing this annoying stuff, it's the glasses and not the content or tv?

Also when something has black bars, light from the content goes ALL OVER the bars and reflections all over it. I need to know if other SOny 3d glasses will solve this or not. It's barely watchable when this happens and although the hx929 was not rated great in 2D, it was rated good in it and the main problems were claimed to be when you tilt your head, which I did not do. I really doubt this is a problem with anything other than the glasses themselves.

LG Infinia 47LW5600 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses (2011 Model)

3.0 out of 5 stars So Far, Not Very Good, May 27, 2012
Well this si the second time I have tried this model number and both have had underwhe,lmign picture quality, so it's obviously I didn't just happen to get two lemons.

I hsve tried MANY 2011 and 2012 tvs. Many have bothered my head, so I couldn't keep them despite liking them. Sucha s the hx929 or the st50. So now I ahd to come back to this mdoel tot ry again.

The settings I am using are the CNET ones. The picture is very dull and lifeless when using them. And in game mode, where companies usually exaggerate the look to have it stand out more, it STILL looks bad. I can ignore it for games, but for movies I want a tv to look good.

I doubt it's the CNET settings themselves because I sue CNET settings on all of these numerous tvs I've tried and this is the only model of tv which has looked truly bad with them.

I'm hoping someone will have ideas, but I really doubt they can have any. Trying other settigns to make it lok "better" will then have it not look realistic because it's unlikely to randomly change settigns and magically end up with ones which would measure realistically.

As far as game mode, yeah a lot of issues there as well. I set it to PC, have the latest firmware, and put it in game mode. I was playing rock band 3, so I can change the in-game calibration top help with lag. But I am still not getting it right. It's "ok" enough to enjoy the game, but missing quite a few notes which I shouldn't. I don't think LAG is the whole story. i think when it comes to video games motion must also be coming into effect. I don't think the notes are moving fluidly and that is complicating lag even more where when things mvoe fast it screws up the lag worse.

Just really coems down to picture quality though. I'm really baffled as to how so many people rate this a 4 or 5 when it has the worst picture of tons of tvs i ahve tried, including even entry level CCFL sets. I hope I figure out somethign to make it look right, or else my only real other chocie is keep the sony ex500 CCFL ((not the CCFL I was referring to), whichs till bothers my head some, probably due to the glossy look of the picture.

I am glad this is not glossy, but that alone is not what's making it look bad! I have an old sony CCFL from 6 years ago which has a better picture than this deos with CNET settings on this.

DVD Storage Binder- Pack of 6 -holds 288 discs
DVD Storage Binder- Pack of 6 -holds 288 discs
Offered by RandomBy
Price: $119.99
5 used & new from $65.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Index Cards?, May 22, 2012
Oops, accidentally posted this before on the single binder page.

Well I'm not sure what it means by index cards being in every pocket. Maybe it meant you can buy your own and put int here. But even then, I'm unsrue where it's talking about. There are these tiny rectangular pockets next to every square cd pocket, but I don't know what in the world you would fit in those. And if it means to put them in the same pocket as the discs, that isn't so ideal either.

As far as storing, though, it's a good idea. It's expensive though.

Bellagio-Italia CD/DVD Storage Binder (Black)
Bellagio-Italia CD/DVD Storage Binder (Black)
Offered by RandomBy
Price: $19.99
4 used & new from $14.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Index Cards?, May 20, 2012

As far as storing, though, it's a good idea. It's expensive though.

Sony BRAVIA KDL-46EX500 1080P 120Hz 46-Inch LCD HD TV (2010 Model)
Sony BRAVIA KDL-46EX500 1080P 120Hz 46-Inch LCD HD TV (2010 Model)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good In Some Ways, May 19, 2012
Well the only reason I considered this tv was because I have had a lot of head and eye issues from almost every other tv imaginable.

This has a good picture for a CCFL LCD, but has a lot of issues as well. If you don't have odd health issues like I do, I'm not so sure why anyone would want it. You can get an NX720, for example, for barely any more cost.

It seems to me that LED sets have TOO much light output though, no matter WHAT you do. The CCFL sets seem to be better about not lighting up your whole room. And the colors seem more "solid" and saturated to me. The overall uniformity and viewing angles seem better on this LCD.

Also the black level is good for an LCD. HOWEVER, when a totally black screen shows up light is coming through almost everywhere. It doesn't look like actual flashlighting or clouding, but just that the entire screen can't get black enough.

Contrary to reviews, the reflections are terrible on this set. I have a lamp back behind me and the light is all over the palce on the tv to the point of me having to turn off lights to even watch tv. Yet on the panasonic st50, sony nx720, sony hx929, etc... it does NOT do this.

The video gaming experience is atrocious as well. I could barely play rock band 3 at all because it's no fun when not only the lag is there, but things don't move right on the screen so you see the notes not lining up right in that regard either. You basically "see" lag of some sort even when you set the lag calibrations in game.

So the pluses when compared to plasmas are NOTHING other than more light output. Compared with leds, it seems like the overall picture is better, but at expense of light bleedthrough, no 3D, no DLNA or DNLA w/e it's called, and horrible reflections and lag. On an LED you can get one with almost no lag and all those features not on this and for the same price absically. This set was a good deal when it came out, but now that the price barely dropped at all years later now while current tvs DO have price drops it's not even a value anymore either.

Sony BRAVIA KDL46HX850 46-Inch 240Hz 1080p 3D LED Internet TV, Black (2012 Model)
Offered by NavyBlu
Price: $1,599.99
2 used & new from $1,599.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Exaggerated Black Levels, May 13, 2012
Already wrote a review and now randomly see it's gone. Not ogoing to rewrite a long review when apparently someone mad I didn't rate it well got it deleted.

Just to keep it short and sweet, the NX720 is much better and much cheaper. Everyone says that the black levels are great, but I assure you when CNET finally gives a review you'll see I was right that the black levels are worse than last year. While you may see what appears to be deep blacks in some aprts of the picture, the black bars on letterboxed material were so light grey even in custom mode that I couldn't even cocnentrate on the picture.

It's almost certainly not just a lemon either, as it was clear it was the whole screen doing it. ANy black bars = light grey. The only real improvement between 2011 and 2012 is the sound, and it was only a little better. Not sure what people are seeing when they think this tv is a top tv, but I was also correct, as you will see if you go to CNET, that the LM7600/6700 tvs have bad black levels.... and yet you'll see a lot of reviews on here claiming they ahve deep blacks also.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2012 9:15 AM PST

Sony BRAVIA KDL46HX750 46-Inch 1080p 3D LED Internet TV (Black)
Sony BRAVIA KDL46HX750 46-Inch 1080p 3D LED Internet TV (Black)
Offered by Bass Buys
Price: $1,199.99
4 used & new from $1,198.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Impressions, March 21, 2012
OK, I am editing this (March 25th) to better summarize it now that I've tried most of what I wanted to try.

Design- The tv does not have monolithic glass like CNET listed it as having, unless I am totally crazy or misunderstanding the term. The screen is even difficult to figure out as far as matte or not... so I am assuming it's semi-gloss. The stand is much less wobbly compared with the 2011 Sony stands. The remote control is much smaller than last year's. The component and composite inputs are now normal old school ones rather than you needing an included converter cable.

Performance- The picture has a lot of pop and seems overall good. To me personally the black level looks to be good as well. However, I have no idea how that's even possible since it does not have local dimming and is edge lit. So we'll see what measurements someone such as CNET gets (they are supposedly reviewing this set soon). All these sites say this has "frame dimming". Well there is no menion of it in the manual and I am starting to have a feeling Sony simply called the stupid light limiter feature frame dimming where people would think it's similar to local dimming by referring to it as a similar name. There is no setting anywhere which sounds like any sort of local dimming feature of any sort!

More Performance (lol)- The uniformity and viewing angles seem good for an led set. Seems better than the 2011 sets. I tried the nx720, hx729, hx820, and hx929 and in my opinion this has better viewing angles. HOWEVER, here are the big issues with the set... it has horrible reflections and horrible bleedthrough/flashlighting. The reflections are worse than the MANY tvs I tried last year. The ONLY tv I have EVER tried which had mroe reflections is the LG LM7600! If you don't have a light opposite the screen then maybe it will be ok, but it's hard for me to figure a good way of lighting my room without this lamp opposite the tv. As for flashlighting... I do NOT believe people who say they have an edge lit led without flashlighting, no matter how dim the settings. I have tried way too many top notch tvs (for edge lit) and they all have it. Even the full array hx929 had flashlighting on BOTH sets I tried. I would say this has the same amount the NX720 had.

3D Performance- The main area I have not yet tested. I do have 2012 Panasonic universal standard 3d glasses, which are supposed to work for Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung tvs.... so I can try it soon hopefully.

Gaming- The gaming seems good. This supposedly has a 4x speed 3D panel, which apparently does not affect gaming, though, because the lag still is not earth shatteringly different than usual. I only tried seeing what Rock Band 3 would list it as and in Game mode it keeps being between 18ms and 32ms. Hard to know exactly when using that game as a measure, but I have been doing VERY good on the songs so it must be close. I even got high scores on some songs I had done badly on with other tvs recently. I would say the lag is not worse than the Panasonic 50ST50, which I also tried. The numbers could barely say so, but it didn't feel right when playing on it for some reason. And by the way... last year game mode on the Sonys forced you to use dynamic audio. This year it forces standard and with a separate setting you can turn surround on or off... which is nice because I hated being forced to hear surround sounding music last year if using tv speakers. The speakers seem a bit better than last yar as well.

The Panasonic 50ST50 I guarantee you is the best tv you can get right now. BUT I get head issues from plasmas. This tv gave me some headaches too, but I'm still trying to figure out if it's truly related to this tv or maybe left over from the plasma.

Either way, reflections and flashlighting are trhe real issues with this set. I may end up keeping it anyway if I can't get somehow adjusted to the plasma. I would say yes for a 46 inch tv the best bet for an LCD is still the HX929, but it does have worse viewing angles and cost more. I don't think I would even want to try the HX850. Why spend $2100 for that when you can get the HX929 full array for the same price?

So I guess your viewing environment is the main thing to consider when determining whether or not this tv will be good for you. How they have the reflections so much worse than last year I don't know. Maybe from trying to get that extra pop from a tv that is apparently semi-matte. At least this is better than the LG, which has even worse feflections and atrocious gameplay lag.

EDIT: I just saw a comemrcial with text on the screen and it looked inky black. It just makes no sense to me how it can be true though without local dimming. Although, I do remember CNET saying some Samsungs achieved quite good black levels without local dimming. But not inky. So am I imagining things or is it really inky? Who knows. lol Maybe the frame dimming is indeed a feature, but you can't turn it off and is automatic or something.

More Notes: The cool illuminated Sony logo from the 2011 models is NOT on this one. I thought that was a cool feature too! Also, the sound quality form the tv speakers seems better than 2011. I believe the NX720 was the one where the audio was atrociously bad. These are at least decent. Also on some dark scenes which I know from past viewing on tvs that there was a klot of noise in the picture on those tvs, it seemed much more crystal clear on this one.

I guess I did imagine the good black level, because the sole bad comment about the tv in the CNET review is that it has a poor black level. U did ntoice the picture looks washed out, but black text looked really black to me persopnally.

This seems better for gaming than the Panny as I tried that again today and it was being bad. So now who knows what i will do. Probably either keep the plasma and use it rarely or else maybe try the hx929 again, but that bothered my ehad in some way as well and costs much much more than the plasma.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2012 3:58 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2