Profile for Suz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 389

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Suz RSS Feed (Rocky Mountains USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hue Women's 2 Pair Pack Flat Knit Knee Sock, Black, 1
Hue Women's 2 Pair Pack Flat Knit Knee Sock, Black, 1
Price: $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Really knee high socks, not skimpy wannabes, September 14, 2014
At the office I usually wear trousers with loafers or oxfords, and thin black knee high socks. I'd had a batch of thin knee socks (not this brand) for a couple of years, and pretty much wore them out.

Last week I ordered a couple of pair of these socks based on the product description (I like rayon blend for breathability) and reviews. After trying them on, putting them through a wash/dry cycle, and wearing a pair for a day, I ordered more.

I've bought so-called knee high socks before, and they turned out to be skimpy and not knee-high on me at all. Not so with these socks. They are generously sized. Even after washing/drying, they easily pull up to my knees, and stay there, and they also fit my feet without being stretched tight. The fabric feels nice. The price is competitive.

Time will tell if these were a good long term buy, but for now I'm happy with them.

Google Nexus 7 2013 Case - Poetic Google Nexus 7 2013 Case [Slimline Series] - [Lightweight] [Ultra-slim] PU Leather Slim-Fit Trifold Cover Stand Folio Case for Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013 Green (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic)
Offered by Smart Shop Online
Price: $9.95
5 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It's green. it fits. It's slim., September 11, 2014
This green case is just what I wanted for my Nexus 7 FHD 2nd generation tablet. It's slim, it fits the tablet perfectly, and the cover closes with magnets so it's securely closed when inside my bag.

It's not great as a stand, and limited to landscape mode at that, but I usually use the tablet in portrait mode anyway.

With tablets I've owned in the past, I've tried tablet covers that can work as stands for both portrait and landscape positions. But by their nature they add bulk and weight to the tablet. I've come to value a slim form factor and light weight in a cover, much more than it being also usable as a stand for the tablet. When I'm using my tablet at home and want to prop it up, I use the versatile AmazonBasics Adjustable Tablet Stand. When I'm out and about I just hold the tablet, or find a way to prop it up on something.

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88178 Chipset)
Offered by Plugable Technologies
Price: $25.00
7 used & new from $17.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Samsung Chromebook, July 27, 2014
I bought this last year when I got a Samsung Chromebook, the lower priced no frills 11.6" model. I didn't use this adapter for several months, and only recently tried it out. It comes with a little CD with drivers on it, but I didn't need to install any drivers. I just plugged this in to a USB port on the Chromebook and the ethernet cable, and with no muss, no fuss, and no delay, the Chromebook was online. Nice!

SlingPlayer
SlingPlayer
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works with Slingbox 500 and Xfinity X1; streams OK but the remote's bad, July 26, 2014
This review is from: SlingPlayer (App)
There are many combos of Slingbox models and cable/dish inputs, so let me disclose mine. I have the Slingbox 500 and a fairly new Xfinity (Comcast) X1 HD/DVR box. It's set up with my living room TV; I don't have cable TV elsewhere in my home.

I got the Slingbox primarily to stream my cable/DVR content to other rooms in my house, mainly the bedroom where I have a decent TV set. Of course, I also hope to use it when away from home.

I installed this app on my Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and it works. If I want to watch on the big screen instead of the Kindle, I use a PTC 10 feet Premium GOLD Series Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable that was inexpensive here at Amazon to hook up the Kindle to the TV.

The good: streaming via Slingbox works smoothly on the Kindle over my home wi-fi network.

The bad: the way the virtual remote control works - or doesn't - on the Kindle. It's slow and awkward to change channels or otherwise control the DVR/cable box via the app. I've not succeeded in really making it do several things I want it to do.

I think this problem could be because of the complicated remote control interface on the Xfinity cable box/DVR. The interface is not as simple and straightforward as with other cable boxes I've had in the past. This app's layout of this "remote" is odd, and not at all intuitive for me. It's easier just to walk to the living room, get the show going via the real remote, and then watch the show on this app. Of course, that won't work if I'm away from home. Even though I think these problems come from the complexity of the Xfinity box's interface, I hope the app developers improve this functionality in future updates.

I don't bitterly regret buying this app. But if I had it to do over, I might not have. I was kind of quick to get the app after setting up the Singbox. Then later, I discovered that the (free) browser plugins you can get from the Sling website, have the best interface for controlling this Xfinity box remotely. I have an old beat-up Win 7 notebook PC that I don't use much; I've now got it set up with an HDMI cable to the bedroom TV, and can stream my cable content *and* control it easily via the virtual remote in the browser.

Bottom line: if you have the Xfinity X1 box, this app may not rock your world because of the awkward virtual remote. OTOH you may be more patient or tech-savvy than I am, and make it work for you.

PTC 10 feet Premium GOLD Series Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable for HTC EVO 4G, Motorola Droid X and other portable devices with Micro HDMI
Offered by HiTechCables
Price: $4.13
11 used & new from $3.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Kindle Fire HD, July 26, 2014
I bought this cable several months ago, but only recently pulled it out of the package. I'm using it to connect my Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8.9" to a TV set.

It works very well, nothing complicated, just plug it in and set your TV to the correct HDMI input. It means I can watch video on a bigger screen (with the TV speakers' audio) than the Fire's screen. Works for streaming video and for playing video files stored on the Fire. The 10 foot length gives me room to maneuver instead of having to park the Kindle right up next to the TV. I'm glad to have this cable.

XFINITY TV Go (was Player)
XFINITY TV Go (was Player)
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh. On Demand has commercials; live TV worthless, July 20, 2014
This review is from: XFINITY TV Go (was Player) (App)
I recently installed this app on my Kindle Fire HD, after getting the fancy schmancy new Xfinity DVR box. I tried it out today.

It's not so bad I'll uninstall it, but it's not fabulous. It's pathetic at streaming live TV. Constant sputters and stutters, with constant repeats. I think other reviewers have had that experience - and I'm at home on my fast wifi. Heaven knows how bad it would be on a public wifi.

I played back a show On Demand. Playback was ok, no buffering problems. But oh my goodness, there were *so* many, looonng commercial interruptions, it felt like it took two hours to watch an hour show.

Three stars because it works for On Demand and is pathetic for live TV. More like two and a half, because of all the On Demand commercial breaks.

I doubt I'll use it again, or install it on any other device.

Safco Products Vue Mesh Extended-Height Chair, Black, 3395BL
Safco Products Vue Mesh Extended-Height Chair, Black, 3395BL
Price: $165.46
37 used & new from $99.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Good armless chair for my adjustable-height desk, June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Last year I outfitted my home office with an adjustable-height (sitting to standing) desk. I created it by arranging two adjustable tables in an L shape, which is my ideal desk layout. They are the MultiTable brand, like this one: MultiTable ModTable Adjustable Height Standing Desk with Manual Base, Black

Not long after that, I replaced my old desk chair with a Boss Multi-Function Leatherplus Drafting Stool with Adjustable Arms and I've liked it. But the arms get in the way a bit when I'm doing extended typing at the keyboard.

I have room for a second chair at my desk, so I got this armless chair. I'm very pleased. It was simple to assemble. The finishes are good, and it's easy to adjust the height. I find the seat and back very supportive and comfortable. And there are no arms on the chair to get in the way when I'm using the keyboard.

As the product description indicates, this is a chair to use with counter-height or standing-height desks. At its lowest seat level it's too tall for a regular desk. It's great for my needs and seems sturdy enough to provide years of service in my home office. I can also use it at a counter height work table I set up for special projects now and then.

The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London
The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London
by Judith Flanders
Price: $20.19
58 used & new from $14.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedia of London streets in Dickens' day, June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wish this book had a different title. It's all about life in and on the *streets* of Dickens' London. The author's purpose is stated in the Introduction: "to look at the streets of London as Dickens and his fellow Londoners saw it, to examine its workings, to take a walk, in effect, through the city as it appeared in Dickens' lifetime, from 1812 to 1870." We rarely get indoors.

Each chapter - almost each page - bristles with detail. This is a wonderful reference book. As a straight-through read, I found it challenging, because I was soon feeling swamped by the sheer amount of information. To fully process all of that I'll have to read it again, but only a bit at a sitting. That said, I enjoyed most her descriptions of the development of the city's infrastructure - streets, roads, lighting, sewers, the Embankment.

There's an encyclopedic knowledge on display in each chapter of this book, and much to learn. Few who visit today's London know that several rivers run through it, but have long been buried deep under its streets and buildings. I wasn't surprised to read the details of a devastating fire at the wharves, or of huge public gatherings for events ranging from said fire to the state funeral of the Duke of Wellington. It was a revelation, however, to learn of the elaborate public illuminations: public buildings, shops, and even private homes were adorned with gaslit decorations for the enjoyment of vast night time crowds, to mark special occasions. Those are just a few of the subjects Flanders examines; if I tried to touch on all of them I'd have to write an unbearably long review.

Throughout the more than 400 pages of text (there are about 100 pages of end notes), Flanders frequently ties the details of the present subject, with Dickens' life and works. This attention to her theme provides welcome relief from the feeling I sometimes had, that I was reading an encyclopedia.

Although I don't live there and can't visit often, one of my favorite things ever is to spend a day walking in London. Any book whose purpose is to explain what Dickens saw on his lifetime's worth of walks through London - night and day - has a permanent place in my bookcase. I'll be picking this one up again and again, for reference and for browsing. It's a bit much to read all at one go, though.

Tiffen 77mm UV Protection Filter
Tiffen 77mm UV Protection Filter
Price: Click here to see our price
29 used & new from $1.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality filter for a good price, May 8, 2014
I've used Tiffen brand lens filters for years and never had a problem with them. It's not the only brand I've used, but one of the brand names I trust. I just bought this 77mm UV protection filter for a new lens. It fastened on smoothly and securely and I found no obvious defects. (I didn't put it under a magnifying glass to seek imperfections, but did hold it up to the light for a good look, with my reading glasses on.)

Lewis N. Clark Urban Gear Canvas Messenger Bag, Grey, One Size
Lewis N. Clark Urban Gear Canvas Messenger Bag, Grey, One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and handy bag, May 1, 2014
I got this bag as a Gold Box deal for about half the list price, so I'm reviewing it with that price in mind. I don't know that I'd have paid the full price for it.

I like this bag. It's just a touch too small to carry my 11.6" MacBook Air, but that's not what I bought it for. However, in a pinch I could put the MBA in its zipper case in the main compartment of this bag; that would fit but might not allow the top to zip closed. I've carried this bag with a smallish dSLR + lens in the bottom of the main compartment, and an extra (smallish) lens in one of the inner mesh side pockets. My "purse stuff" (wallet, cosmetic zip case, phone, etc.) fit easily into the main compartment along with the camera gear. I can carry my 8.9" Kindle Fire in the back padded inside pocket.

I could put so much in this bag that I'd make it ridiculously heavy. I like the padded shoulder strap for that reason. After I got the bag and decided to keep it, I sprayed it with water repellent treatment, so although it won't be totally waterproof it will withstand a bit of being carried in the rain. I like the dark gray canvas fabric.

My main delight is the bright orange linings. So easy to quickly see what you're looking for, especially in a deep bag. I don't think I'd buy a tote/shoulder bag lined in black again, after the ease of using bags with light/bright colored linings.

I like this bag a lot, and it's becoming my grab and go purse/tote for casual use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2014 10:57 PM PDT