Profile for Photos > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 380

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Photos RSS Feed (USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fotasy NK5 5x Rear Lens Cover and Camera Body Cap Set, Cleaning Cloth for Nikon DSLR (Black)
Price: $9.02
2 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars at a great price., May 19, 2015
Just what I needed, at a great price.

Tech Armor RetinaShield Blue Light Filter Screen Protector for iPad mini 3 / iPad mini 2 / iPad mini - Great for Kids - Filter out Eye-Fatigue and Eye-Strain causing Blue Light - with Lifetime Warranty [1-Pack] - Retail Pack
Offered by Tech Armor
Price: $11.95
3 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, May 19, 2015
I've used this brand of screen protector on two phones (Nexus 4 and 5) and have been very pleased with them. They installed easily, stayed put, and did protect the screen. The one on my Nexus 5 is still in service. I can see some surface scratches on it - my phone gets tossed into my purse instead of carefully stowed in a side pocket, more than I'd like to admit - but the protector itself hasn't been cut or breached so I'm confident the screen underneath isn't marred.

This "light filter" type of screen protector is a new one for me. I got it for my new iPad Mini 2. As with the phone screen protectors, it was simple to install and once installed is essentially invisible to me. I'm using an app on the iPad with a stylus, which works just fine with this screen protector. I don't know how effective the blue light filter thing is, but I was willing to pay a little more on the chance of protecting my old eyes from some strain.

Tech Armor has earned my loyalty. I would purchase an item with this brand again.

Philips Sonicare Hx6731/34 HealthyWhite Rechargeable Toothbrush Special Pack
Philips Sonicare Hx6731/34 HealthyWhite Rechargeable Toothbrush Special Pack
Offered by staj
Price: $103.40
6 used & new from $84.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it a lot!, March 22, 2015
I've had this toothbrush for about a week now, and I'm very pleased with my purchase.

I had a Sonicare toothbrush a long time ago, one of their earliest models. I got rid of it for several reasons, including its horrible design (with the huge replacement head that went halfway down the handle and allowed icky gunk to collect inside the thing - yuck). On my dentist's recommendation I replaced the Sonicare with a good Oral B pro power toothbrush. I really liked it, and it traveled with me - its dual voltage charger was so handy. Recently, after ten years of service, it quit charging. I was disappointed to learn that today's models of Oral B power brushes don't have dual-voltage chargers, and that was the deal-breaker for me.

After I learned that Sonicare has sleek toothbrushes, like this one, with reasonably-sized replacement heads and dual-voltage chargers? It was a no-brainer: I ordered this one. I like the three brushing modes, I'm again getting used to Sonicare's 30-second interval pauses, and my teeth feel nice and clean after brushing.

Another great thing about this toothbrush is the minimal, simple charging stand. Those complicated power toothbrush charger/stands with brush head holders, etc., collect gunk and need a lot of cleaning, without adding much utility. This simple charging stand is easy to wipe off and keep clean, and will be convenient to pack if I need to take it along on a trip.

Well played, Sonicare. This one's a keeper.

Black Neoprene Camera Bag Shockproof Case for Sony A6000 with 16-50mm Lens
Black Neoprene Camera Bag Shockproof Case for Sony A6000 with 16-50mm Lens
Offered by TZYtech
Price: $14.96
2 used & new from $14.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Fits a6000 + kit 16-50 lens - but it smells awful, January 31, 2015
I'm returning this case. It fits snugly but securely on my Sony a6000 with the 16-50mm kit lens.

But, it stinks! An extremely strong nasty chemical stink. It didn't dissipate overnight, and after leaving my camera in that case overnight - my camera now has a whiff of that nasty stink. Ugh.

I've owned several neoprene items, and some of them have had a bit of an odor. Not surprising; they're made of some chemical concoction. But this one smells so much worse than that, so strongly, that I just can't use it.

If it didn't stink to high heaven, I'd keep it. At first when I pulled it out of the package (a nice box, it's an attractive retail package), I wasn't sure it was large enough for my camera, but once I figured out which way it went, it tugged on snugly and fastened securely.

Note: This case WILL NOT fit an a6000 camera + long lens. It will hold the camera with the 16-50mm kit lens or, I assume, a smaller lens.

Dolica GX600B200 Proline GX Series 60-Inch Aluminum Tripod and Ball Head Combo for DSLR
Price: $44.99
6 used & new from $41.62

2.0 out of 5 stars It's usable, but I'm looking for a better one, January 11, 2015
I've had this tripod for about 18 months now, and have taken it out shooting many times.

Pros:
--Light and easy to carry.
--Leg locks aren't hard to use.
--As stable as I expect at this weight/size of tripod.

Con:
--I hate the mechanism that fastens the camera to the tripod head. I'm not particularly clumsy, but getting the slots lined up to slide the camera/plate assembly onto the head, and pushing the release button, can take a few tries. Also, the plate that attaches to the bottom of the camera, often comes loose. I hand-tighten it, but it works loose. Maybe I should have used a screwdriver but I didn't, and I just got tired of having to constantly remove the camera from the tripod to re-tighten the mounting plate. Especially since it's such a fiddly thing to get the camera mounted on the tripod head again. I go out shooting at night with some friends, and working with this mess in the dark is difficult and frustrating.

I've ordered a new tripod with a different type of camera attachment mechanism. This tripod might be fine to use in one place, but it's been a pain to use when out and about.

Google Nexus 7 2013 Case - Poetic Google Nexus 7 2013 Case [Slimline Series] - [Lightweight] [Ultra-slim] PU Leather Slim-Fit Trifold Cover Stand Folio Case for Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013 Green (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic)
Offered by PoeticDirect
Price: $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It's green. it fits. It's slim., September 11, 2014
This green case is just what I wanted for my Nexus 7 FHD 2nd generation tablet. It's slim, it fits the tablet perfectly, and the cover closes with magnets so it's securely closed when inside my bag.

It's not great as a stand, and limited to landscape mode at that, but I usually use the tablet in portrait mode anyway.

With tablets I've owned in the past, I've tried tablet covers that can work as stands for both portrait and landscape positions. But by their nature they add bulk and weight to the tablet. I've come to value a slim form factor and light weight in a cover, much more than it being also usable as a stand for the tablet. When I'm using my tablet at home and want to prop it up, I use the versatile AmazonBasics Adjustable Tablet Stand. When I'm out and about I just hold the tablet, or find a way to prop it up on something.

PTC 10 feet Premium GOLD Series Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable for HTC EVO 4G, Motorola Droid X and other portable devices with Micro HDMI
Offered by HiTechCables
Price: $4.83
8 used & new from $4.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Kindle Fire HD, July 26, 2014
I bought this cable several months ago, but only recently pulled it out of the package. I'm using it to connect my Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8.9" to a TV set.

It works very well, nothing complicated, just plug it in and set your TV to the correct HDMI input. It means I can watch video on a bigger screen (with the TV speakers' audio) than the Fire's screen. Works for streaming video and for playing video files stored on the Fire. The 10 foot length gives me room to maneuver instead of having to park the Kindle right up next to the TV. I'm glad to have this cable.

Safco Products Vue Mesh Extended-Height Chair, Black, 3395BL
Safco Products Vue Mesh Extended-Height Chair, Black, 3395BL
Price: $165.40
27 used & new from $165.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Good armless chair for my adjustable-height desk, June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Last year I outfitted my home office with an adjustable-height (sitting to standing) desk. I created it by arranging two adjustable tables in an L shape, which is my ideal desk layout. They are the MultiTable brand, like this one: MultiTable ModTable Adjustable Height Standing Desk with Manual Base, Black

Not long after that, I replaced my old desk chair with a Boss Multi-Function Leatherplus Drafting Stool with Adjustable Arms and I've liked it. But the arms get in the way a bit when I'm doing extended typing at the keyboard.

I have room for a second chair at my desk, so I got this armless chair. I'm very pleased. It was simple to assemble. The finishes are good, and it's easy to adjust the height. I find the seat and back very supportive and comfortable. And there are no arms on the chair to get in the way when I'm using the keyboard.

As the product description indicates, this is a chair to use with counter-height or standing-height desks. At its lowest seat level it's too tall for a regular desk. It's great for my needs and seems sturdy enough to provide years of service in my home office. I can also use it at a counter height work table I set up for special projects now and then.

The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London
The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London
by Judith Flanders
Price: $17.55
67 used & new from $10.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedia of London streets in Dickens' day, June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wish this book had a different title. It's all about life in and on the *streets* of Dickens' London. The author's purpose is stated in the Introduction: "to look at the streets of London as Dickens and his fellow Londoners saw it, to examine its workings, to take a walk, in effect, through the city as it appeared in Dickens' lifetime, from 1812 to 1870." We rarely get indoors.

Each chapter - almost each page - bristles with detail. This is a wonderful reference book. As a straight-through read, I found it challenging, because I was soon feeling swamped by the sheer amount of information. To fully process all of that I'll have to read it again, but only a bit at a sitting. That said, I enjoyed most her descriptions of the development of the city's infrastructure - streets, roads, lighting, sewers, the Embankment.

There's an encyclopedic knowledge on display in each chapter of this book, and much to learn. Few who visit today's London know that several rivers run through it, but have long been buried deep under its streets and buildings. I wasn't surprised to read the details of a devastating fire at the wharves, or of huge public gatherings for events ranging from said fire to the state funeral of the Duke of Wellington. It was a revelation, however, to learn of the elaborate public illuminations: public buildings, shops, and even private homes were adorned with gaslit decorations for the enjoyment of vast night time crowds, to mark special occasions. Those are just a few of the subjects Flanders examines; if I tried to touch on all of them I'd have to write an unbearably long review.

Throughout the more than 400 pages of text (there are about 100 pages of end notes), Flanders frequently ties the details of the present subject, with Dickens' life and works. This attention to her theme provides welcome relief from the feeling I sometimes had, that I was reading an encyclopedia.

Although I don't live there and can't visit often, one of my favorite things ever is to spend a day walking in London. Any book whose purpose is to explain what Dickens saw on his lifetime's worth of walks through London - night and day - has a permanent place in my bookcase. I'll be picking this one up again and again, for reference and for browsing. It's a bit much to read all at one go, though.

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens
Price: $246.95
74 used & new from $69.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with this kit lens, April 28, 2014
I bought a D3300 and this was the included kit lens. I already own another Nikon dSLR (D5100) which came with a previous version of this lens. I like this one better. It's smaller and lighter, and can be locked in a retracted position. I bought the D3300, with this lens, because together this is a small and lightweight dSLR camera/lens combo that I can carry around easily. I wasn't sure how I'd like this lens. For a long time I kept an 18-200mm telephoto zoom on my D5100 and got used to the versatility of that long reach. However, I've lately been using a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens quite a bit, so I've learned to use my feet when I need to get closer to a subject, or back off a bit.

I've now shot a few hundred photos with this kit lens and have been pleased with the results. I'm not a pixel-peeper or a technical expert. But my photos have been satisfactory to me with this lens. I look forward to using it often.

Edited to add: recently I sold the D3300 - but I kept this lens!

By the way, I rarely retract the lens to the locked position while I'm carrying the camera for use. You don't have to retract/lock the lens every time you turn off the camera, if you're annoyed by having to unlock it to take photos. I usually retract/lock the lens only when I'm putting it away at home.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20