Profile for Suz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 383

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Suz RSS Feed (Rocky Mountains USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Safco Vue Extended-Height Mesh Chair
Safco Vue Extended-Height Mesh Chair
Offered by Shoplet
Price: $162.82
41 used & new from $110.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good armless chair for my adjustable-height desk, June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Last year I outfitted my home office with an adjustable-height (sitting to standing) desk. I created it by arranging two adjustable tables in an L shape, which is my ideal desk layout. They are the MultiTable brand, like this one: MultiTable ModTable Adjustable Height Standing Desk with Manual Base, Black

Not long after that, I replaced my old desk chair with a Boss Multi-Function Leatherplus Drafting Stool with Adjustable Arms and I've liked it. But the arms get in the way a bit when I'm doing extended typing at the keyboard.

I have room for a second chair at my desk, so I got this armless chair. I'm very pleased. It was simple to assemble. The finishes are good, and it's easy to adjust the height. I find the seat and back very supportive and comfortable. And there are no arms on the chair to get in the way when I'm using the keyboard.

As the product description indicates, this is a chair to use with counter-height or standing-height desks. At its lowest seat level it's too tall for a regular desk. It's great for my needs and seems sturdy enough to provide years of service in my home office. I can also use it at a counter height work table I set up for special projects now and then.

The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London
The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London
by Judith Flanders
Price: $21.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedia of London streets in Dickens' day, June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wish this book had a different title. It's all about life in and on the *streets* of Dickens' London. The author's purpose is stated in the Introduction: "to look at the streets of London as Dickens and his fellow Londoners saw it, to examine its workings, to take a walk, in effect, through the city as it appeared in Dickens' lifetime, from 1812 to 1870." We rarely get indoors.

Each chapter - almost each page - bristles with detail. This is a wonderful reference book. As a straight-through read, I found it challenging, because I was soon feeling swamped by the sheer amount of information. To fully process all of that I'll have to read it again, but only a bit at a sitting. That said, I enjoyed most her descriptions of the development of the city's infrastructure - streets, roads, lighting, sewers, the Embankment.

There's an encyclopedic knowledge on display in each chapter of this book, and much to learn. Few who visit today's London know that several rivers run through it, but have long been buried deep under its streets and buildings. I wasn't surprised to read the details of a devastating fire at the wharves, or of huge public gatherings for events ranging from said fire to the state funeral of the Duke of Wellington. It was a revelation, however, to learn of the elaborate public illuminations: public buildings, shops, and even private homes were adorned with gaslit decorations for the enjoyment of vast night time crowds, to mark special occasions. Those are just a few of the subjects Flanders examines; if I tried to touch on all of them I'd have to write an unbearably long review.

Throughout the more than 400 pages of text (there are about 100 pages of end notes), Flanders frequently ties the details of the present subject, with Dickens' life and works. This attention to her theme provides welcome relief from the feeling I sometimes had, that I was reading an encyclopedia. Although I don't live there and can't visit often, one of my favorite things ever is to spend a day walking in London. Any book whose purpose is to explain what Dickens saw on his lifetime's worth of walks through London - night and day - has a permanent place in my bookcase. I'll be picking this one up again and again, for reference and for browsing. It's a bit much to read all at one go, though.

Tiffen 77mm UV Protection Filter
Tiffen 77mm UV Protection Filter
Price: Click here to see our price
16 used & new from $14.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality filter for a good price, May 8, 2014
I've used Tiffen brand lens filters for years and never had a problem with them. It's not the only brand I've used, but one of the brand names I trust. I just bought this 77mm UV protection filter for a new lens. It fastened on smoothly and securely and I found no obvious defects. (I didn't put it under a magnifying glass to seek imperfections, but did hold it up to the light for a good look, with my reading glasses on.)

Lewis N. Clark Urban Gear Canvas Messenger Bag, Grey, One Size
Lewis N. Clark Urban Gear Canvas Messenger Bag, Grey, One Size
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $29.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and handy bag, May 1, 2014
I got this bag as a Gold Box deal for about half the list price, so I'm reviewing it with that price in mind. I don't know that I'd have paid the full price for it.

I like this bag. It's just a touch too small to carry my 11.6" MacBook Air, but that's not what I bought it for. However, in a pinch I could put the MBA in its zipper case in the main compartment of this bag; that would fit but might not allow the top to zip closed. I've carried this bag with a smallish dSLR + lens in the bottom of the main compartment, and an extra (smallish) lens in one of the inner mesh side pockets. My "purse stuff" (wallet, cosmetic zip case, phone, etc.) fit easily into the main compartment along with the camera gear. I can carry my 8.9" Kindle Fire in the back padded inside pocket.

I could put so much in this bag that I'd make it ridiculously heavy. I like the padded shoulder strap for that reason. After I got the bag and decided to keep it, I sprayed it with water repellent treatment, so although it won't be totally waterproof it will withstand a bit of being carried in the rain. I like the dark gray canvas fabric.

My main delight is the bright orange linings. So easy to quickly see what you're looking for, especially in a deep bag. I don't think I'd buy a tote/shoulder bag lined in black again, after the ease of using bags with light/bright colored linings.

I like this bag a lot, and it's becoming my grab and go purse/tote for casual use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2014 10:57 PM PDT

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens
Price: $246.95
30 used & new from $125.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with this kit lens, April 28, 2014
I bought a D3300 and this was the included kit lens. I already own another Nikon dSLR (D5100) which came with a previous version of this lens. I like this one better. It's smaller and lighter, and can be locked in a retracted position. I bought the D3300, with this lens, because together this is a small and lightweight dSLR camera/lens combo that I can carry around easily. I wasn't sure how I'd like this lens. For a long time I kept an 18-200mm telephoto zoom on my D5100 and got used to the versatility of that long reach. However, I've lately been using a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens quite a bit, so I've learned to use my feet when I need to get closer to a subject, or back off a bit.

I've now shot a few hundred photos with this kit lens and have been pleased with the results. I'm not a pixel-peeper or a technical expert. But my photos have been satisfactory to me with this lens. I look forward to using it often.

Edited to add: I rarely retract the lens to the locked position while I'm carrying the camera for use. You don't have to retract/lock the lens every time you turn off the camera, if you're annoyed by having to unlock it to take photos. I usually retract/lock the lens only when I'm putting it away at home.

Lensbaby Sony NEX Tilt Transformer
Lensbaby Sony NEX Tilt Transformer
Offered by "Global Commerce Japan"
Price: $348.68
10 used & new from $297.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun with my Sony NEX and a Nikon lens, April 28, 2014
I enjoyed using this gadget with my Sony NEX 6 camera. I attached the Lensbaby transformer to my camera, and then attached a Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens to the Lensbaby.

It was a bit of a challenge to use, but I read the instructions and got the hang of it pretty quickly. This is a setup for taking special effects photos, and you have to fiddle with it and *think.* Which is part of the fun for me. I'll upload a few images that I shot with this setup.

I've now sold my Sony NEX camera so I can't use this particular Lensbaby product anymore. However, my experience with it has caused me to order some Lensbaby items that I can use with my Nikon DSLRs. I'm looking forward to more Lensbaby fun.

Case Logic TBC-409 DSLR Shoulder Bag
Case Logic TBC-409 DSLR Shoulder Bag
Price: $16.50
11 used & new from $16.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy bag to carry, April 27, 2014
I've been using Case Logic products for a long time. I've never had one of them fall apart even under heavy use. I bought this bag without having seen it in person, although the product description and reviews were helpful in disclosing its dimensions. This is a good bag to grab and go with when I'm carrying a camera around town, and I can usually carry it instead of (vs. along with) a separate handbag.

This will hold a small Nikon DSLR (D5100 or D3300) with attached lens, plus my wallet and "purse stuff" (small cosmetic bag, etc.), smartphone, and small camera accessories (lens cloth, spare battery, etc.). I haven't tried to stuff an extra lens in it along with all that stuff. I've put the camera + extra lens in it, minus my "purse stuff," and that's OK too.

It's nicely padded. Not that it would save the camera from damage in a huge fall but I think it's good protection from normal bumps and handling. I like the ergonomics; it hangs off my shoulder - or can be worn crossbody - and allows easy access to the camera. In that position, the top flap opening is next to my body, not on the outside, which I like. Seems a bit more secure.

Lightweight, well made, and I got it a a low price here.

3x Nikon Digital SLR D3200 Digital Camera Premium Clear LCD Screen Protector, 100% fit, no cutting (3 Pieces)
Offered by GUARMOR SHIELD
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to apply, April 26, 2014
I have a new D3300 camera, and had trouble finding a screen protector listed for it. So I ordered this one. It fits just fine and was easy to apply. I don't know that it's exactly the right size down to the millimeter, but it protects the whole screen as far as I can see.

Olympus V321170BW000 Tele Converter TCON-17X (Black)
Olympus V321170BW000 Tele Converter TCON-17X (Black)
Price: $199.00
5 used & new from $165.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds zoom to my XZ-1, April 16, 2014
I tried this, with the required adapter, on my Olympus XZ-1, which is my favorite small point and shoot camera but doesn't pack a lot of zoom in its lens. This converter provides a significantly expanded zoom range. The XZ-1's f1.8 lens is great for low light shooting and I wanted to try a longer zoom with the wide aperture that the XZ-1 offers. I took several test photos with it which appeared clear, although I didn't do extensive pixel-peeping when reviewing them on the computer.

I'm giving this five stars because it worked as I expected and didn't disappoint. That said, I ended up returning this converter and the associated adapter - but not for reasons that should reduce my rating of the product itself.

First, this thing is just bigger than I expected. That was my bad, not any problem with the accuracy of the product listing or description. When I put the adapter and this converter onto my camera, the whole shebang felt bulky, compared to the camera alone.

Second, comparing the size of the camera/adapter/converter setup, I might as well carry one of my other cameras with comparable zoom instead. For budgetary reasons, this converter and its adapter just didn't give me enough value for the expenditure. So I returned it.

If your main camera is an XZ-1 or any of the other cameras that this converter works with, and you want the extra zoom, this could be a great purchase. I have alternatives and decided that I didn't need to add this to my collection of camera gear.

WINEGARD TV-2900 82-Channel Weatherproof Transformer
WINEGARD TV-2900 82-Channel Weatherproof Transformer
Price: $6.99
39 used & new from $3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, April 16, 2014
I got this gadget to replace an old one (not this brand, I think I bought it at a Radio Shack 9 years ago). I think the old one, after years of service, had suffered some internal injury, causing signal drops to my HDTV. This new one is working as well as I expected, and so far there are no more signal drops. I'm in a condo building with a good rooftop antenna system, with outlets in each unit's living room. The 70's era outlets are the old two prong style, and this transformer is required to hook up my HDTV. I'm enjoying lots of over the air channels in beautiful HD, with no cable bill. Sweet!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20