Profile for Paul B. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul B. RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum, SD20000RED
Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum, SD20000RED
Price: $19.96
43 used & new from $17.78

3.0 out of 5 stars dustbuster on a stick, April 30, 2014
This is not a bad tool considering its price point. However it's fairly useless on my medium pile carpet. It lacks a brush to kick up the dirt as you slide the head over the carpet. That and a spring to hold the head down to the carpet would have made a big difference I believe.

Organic Caraway Seed
Organic Caraway Seed
Offered by Tru Inertia
Price: $9.75
15 used & new from $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Organic Caraway Seed (Misc.)
A couple of reviews here scared me, but I decided to go with the statistics (everyone makes mistakes). And it turned out well. The product is fresh, tasty and well-packed.

Stanley 66-039 6-Piece Jewelers Precision Screwdriver Set
Stanley 66-039 6-Piece Jewelers Precision Screwdriver Set
Price: $4.29
29 used & new from $4.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for fine jewelry, but great for laptops, April 16, 2014
Don't buy this to do things like eyeglass repair. The tool is misnamed. But it is great for laptop work. The tips are hardened and sharp. There is a touch of magnetism, but in my view not quite enough. So I bought a magnet and enhanced the magnetism. Great set does most of my hand work.

Powerful Handle Magnet with Ergonomic Handle, 4.50" Length, 1" Width, 3.375" Height Including Handle, 100 Pounds Pull, 1 each
Price: $7.60
20 used & new from $4.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget 100lb pull, but still an excellent magnet, April 16, 2014
The only way this magnet would "pull" 100lbs is horizontally on low-friction bearings. But other than that I found it very effective as a utility tool. My main purpose was to magnetize screwdrivers I use for laptop repair. It took only three strokes to do that beyond my wildest expectations, so I'm very happy with the product.

Luxe Bidet Neo 250 (Elite Series) Hot and Cold Water Non-Electric Mechanical Bidet Toilet Seat Attachment w/ Strong Faucet Valves and Metal Hoses
Offered by 2Go Products LLC
Price: $59.95
4 used & new from $58.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent basic functionality, but much room for improvement, April 16, 2014
This was my first bidet experience, and it is awesome. This is a far superior way of hygiene (you really feel clean), and America needs to get on it. It's actually fun to use. When I was done and later began to tell a friend about it, I broke out laughing.

Thanks to Amazon and the USPS, delivery was very quick.

This unit is well made in terms of fit and finish, and the parts, such as fittings and valves, are high quality.

The problem is in the very poor directions, intentionally missing pieces and lack of thoroughness in design.

My problem was in trying to make the warm water hookup under the sink. My under-sink is extremely tight, and I simply could not get the flexible plastic tube mounted onto the tee fitting. I looked for help in the directions, but found none. The directions are mostly pictorial, very spare and frankly inadequate. After an hour and a half of physical torture I gave up. Fortunately the unit works fine on cold water.

***Before you buy a warm water bidet, make sure you have clear access to the valve under the sink!***

The parts left out are spacers for the toilet seat. If you're going to sell something that raises the back end of the seat 7/16", then you should supply spacers to hold the sides and front of the seat up securely.

The bidet is a fairly imposing addition to the side of the toilet, with a couple of very prominent water lines coming off it. Since the arm that holds the valves is rather big, it puzzles me why Luxe didn't bring in the water lines under it, out of sight. A couple of built-in clips could have held the lines in position. When you look at the Luxe picture of the unit, the water lines are omitted. This surely is intentional. But instead of hiding the problem it could have been at least ameliorated.

In all I'm satisfied, but the unit and the installation experience could be better with just a little more effort by Luxe.

Surface 200mL Screen Cleaner for Computers, Tablets, Laptops and other Electronics (SURF201W)
Price: $8.62
8 used & new from $6.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome stuff, October 3, 2012
I bought a used monitor that turned out to have a scratch and a smudge that I couldn't get off. So I tried this stuff on it. A little elbow grease later, the scratch remains but *the smudge is gone*. Amazing. And the viewing quality of the screen surface has never been better. Very well done.

Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us
Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us
Price: $10.43
58 used & new from $8.29

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 design flaws, October 3, 2012
This should have been a nifty little gadget, but two rather obtuse design flaws ruin it. First, there is no Off switch. There is a rheostat, but no way to turn the device off. So when I don't want to use the fan I have to unplug the USB? I can only shake my head at this.

Secondly, the wires come off the top of the unit. Consequently you have an ugly display on your desktop. The fan looks like it can be repositioned, but this is ridiculous.

The fan itself seems fine, though I do get some whine reverberating on my table top even at low speed.

Two bone-headed design flaws that did not have to be ruin what this device could have been. I'm really surprised at Thermaltake.

Hamilton Beach HomeBaker 29881 2 lb. Bread Machine
Hamilton Beach HomeBaker 29881 2 lb. Bread Machine
Offered by Fun Stuff For Sale
Price: $57.80
48 used & new from $44.90

3.0 out of 5 stars First impressions / quickly died, July 7, 2012
Quick update: Three weeks into this thing, on just its fourth loaf of bread, the machine died. It was never mistreated, and was kept unplugged when not in use. Really a shame. How about investing .40 in better capacitors, HB?

The bread came out perfectly, and exited the pan in just one moderate tap. I was very pleased. Now I have to decide whether to chance another unit. One other poster here had this problem, which makes about a 2% failure rate, which isn't high. But it's disappointing, inconvenient and I'm out shipping costs.

original review:
_____________________________

I just got this Hamilton Beach bread machine and put it through its paces. Here are some first observations.

The machine has a very capacious two pound pan, with a very low-friction surface. I didn't really believe the bread would exit the pan with merely a few taps, but that's exactly what happened.

I used a basic whole wheat recipe, and used the dedicated whole grain cycle. I wasn't even using dedicated bread flour and yeast, but the results were absolutely great. The bread was well-mixed and rose fully and evenly. It was visually perfect. I was able to slice the bread immediately, and slathered with butter it was delicious. Goodbye, store breads at inflated cost. Hello, home made breads - delicious, nutritious and economical.

Even with a stiff whole wheat recipe, the paddle did not get stuck in the bread. And they give you an extra paddle too.

The bread pan is lighter weight than an old machine I had used, but the bread was evenly cooked throughout nonetheless. The only thing I liked better about the old machine was its three-point mounting system for the pan, which was more stable than the bottom-interlock system of the HB. Consequently, the HB pan bounces around a bit. It's a minor annoyance, but it doesn't seem to impede the machine from doing its job.

The seal around the pan's arbor seems very tight. This is important, as my previous machine developed an oil leak there. Periodically check your mixing dough for signs of gray lubricant leakage, especially if you start having funny tastes in the bread. This is what caused me to throw out the old machine and get the HB.

The outside of the machine gets quite hot to the touch during the baking process.

The recipes in the manual look intriguing, especially the chocolate quick bread. But be careful of the Cycle 11 whole wheat recipe, which seems to grossly inflate the amount of water required for the 1.5lb loaf.

This machine was not a lot of money, and I am very pleased with the results. If there are any changes I'll update this review. But for now, I'm looking forward to great bread, with minimal effort and little expense.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2012 3:28 PM PDT

Buffalo Tools COCSDS Cordless Screwdriver 4.8 Volt with 11 Piece Magnetic Bit Set
Offered by Tool Planet
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not small!, April 24, 2012
It's my own fault for not checking the specs, but this is not a small screwdriver. I intended on using it for computer work, and still will, but it will be nowhere near as handy as I anticipated. And the bits that come with it are not small enough for laptop work.

The unit itself seems ok. When left charging both the battery and the charger got hot.

This should be a good unit for all-around household work. If the batteries last, it is well worth the price for that purpose, but for laptops, look elsewhere.

DVD ~ Ray Comfort
Offered by LovingTruthBooks
Price: $5.99
75 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awesome. Study how it is done., March 18, 2012
This review is from: 180 (DVD)
I have watched this three times now, and I find myself studying how people think - both what clouds their thinking and what is able to remove that cloud. The camera reveals a lot.

The Law is the tutor that leads us to Christ. The Law, written in our conscience, tells us that we are morally imperfect. Then, when we are confronted with the truth that God is perfect and cannot allow anyone who is not into heaven, we see our spiritual dilemma.

This is exactly what Ray Comfort does, using the Holocaust, segueing to the parallel American Holocaust of abortion, and then finally taking it home to personal morality and the spiritual condition.

Of all the respondents, I like Alicia the most, because her heart is so very tender and open to the truth. The other star of the show is Steve, the neo-Nazi. Steve, if you're reading, I saw you at the end, as you looked down at the ground. I know the truth was getting to you, of your sinfulness before a holy God, and of your need for a Savior. Don't turn Christ away. He loves you so much. So very, very much. Don't deny the power of His love for you in your heart. He will accept you, no matter what you have said or done.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5