Profile for Bruce Lee > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bruce Lee RSS Feed (Colorado)

Page: 1 | 2
Forsaking Home (The Survivalist Series Book 4)
Forsaking Home (The Survivalist Series Book 4)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Part four was quite the bore., June 28, 2014
The first three books of this series were exciting, action packed and nonstop character interaction. New characters that had great back stories were introduced and I thought this series had a great life in store for it, I was wrong.

What we find in part four is what I refer to as page fillers. The author needlessly explains the art of cooking breakfast and has to take a few pages to explain it.There are numerous other examples, which I wont list here.

For the most part the book is divided into two parts. The DHS camp those that run it and those that want to stop it. The other part is Morgan and crew.

The DHS plotline was actually pretty good in terms of the pace and story developing, though many outcomes were disappointing and lacking imagination. I won’t elaborate more due to spoilers.
Morgan and crew were boring. I kept hoping the chapters would end for lack of originality.

Spoiler alert **
For quite a few chapters, Morgan’s daughter is acting strange. Depressed. Did someone in the camp assault her? Did she witness betrayal? This plot is heavily addressed and seems important. The outcome? She missed her internet connection.

End of spoiler***

This book could have easily been cut by a third but to hit the page limit I assume the author was advised to go into long narratives that did not contribute to the storyline .

Will I buy the next book in the series if there is one? More than likely. Do I feel this was the author’s best work? Not at all.

The author has a great story on their hands. It would be a shame to start cranking out books just for the sake of it. I hope this doesnt happen.

11/22/63
11/22/63
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars M-O-O-N, that spells bad book Mr.King., December 6, 2013
This review is from: 11/22/63 (Kindle Edition)
I won’t give an overview of the plot as there are many reviews that have done a much better job that I could do. I will though give a brief review of why this book is a disappointment.

The premise of time travel is great and the backstory of the assassination of JFK made me certain this would be one of Kings better books. I was wrong.

The first half of the book is page turning and it quickly dies off from there. Great plot scenarios end up disappointing and there are so many clichés I found myself skipping forward to confirm my suspicions.

I imagined King writing this novel, having fun but trying to find that magic that he has brought millions of readers over the years. He failed miserably. He alludes to it (I won’t give any spoilers) and he also desperately wants it. But in this book it does not happen.

I would suggest Mr. King to buy a Schwinn and take a ride and then perhaps he may find that magic once again.

Red Dawn
Red Dawn
DVD ~ Patrick Swayze
Offered by dvdstuff
Price: $13.00
156 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a pro-gun or pro war movie. It's much deeper., October 5, 2013
This review is from: Red Dawn (DVD)
Red Dawn is a cult classic 1984 movie. The basic plot is that Soviet and Cuban forces invade America and set up headquarters in a small Colorado town.
There are plenty of reviews of the movie providing a synopsis of it, I want to discuss why this move is great and how even people that love it miss a lot of points.

The general hate against this move is that it is pro-gun. Some also say its pro war. Basically you have to be a NRA gun nut to like it.
Red Dawn is a deep movie, dealing with guerrilla warfare and the implications of it. So many movies were made up until then on what war was like in other countries. John Milius decided to show what it would be like if it happened here on our soil.

Here are some key points that you should be aware of in the movie to understand the deeper meaning.

Seasons. The changing of the seasons and the references to them/nature.

The Masons. The masons were an old couple who when you view inside their home had everything from radios, canned food and a wood burning stove. They didn't play doomsday prepper but rather stayed in and waited.

Col Bella. Played by Ron O'Neal. He was a former guerilla and his dialogue and frustration and his choice what to do with the brothers at the end makes more sense when you understand him.

There are many other hidden/deeper meanings in this movie, I would encourage the viewer to find them.

Spoilers ahead****
Common arguments against the movie.

Contrary to what most people say about this movie, in particularly, "American teens win the war", this is not the case. It shows how one by one they are hunted down and killed. The events in Calumet were only a small story compared to a much larger one.

This could never happen here! - 9-11. If you believe the official story, no conspiracy involved, it took over an hour to scramble fighter jets. The best technology in the world is useless if the communications is slow.
Every empire in the history of the world has collapsed. None of them thought it would happen to them.

Americans would run out on the streets and kill them- Sure, maybe. I doubt most 9mm would stop a tank but perhaps you know better. Plus in the movie the military went straight for the schools. Are parents going to look for their children or go fight?

It has been said that the movie is more anti-government/state than pro-gun and I couldn't agree more.
What we see in Red Dawn is a government that is slow to react i.e. "they may send special forces in the spring" and a group who is unwilling to wait.

Think of natural disasters such as Hurricane Sandy or Katrina, look at the response time. Currently of this writing, Obama care has just been implemented and the website and sign up process is a huge mess.

Red Dawn shows that when it all falls apart around you, you can only rely on yourself. Don't wait for the Calvary to rescue you, they are not coming.

FEMA Camp 43 (FEMA Trilogy Book 2)
FEMA Camp 43 (FEMA Trilogy Book 2)
Price: $5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars To many characters, July 23, 2013
I really enjoyed the first book and I am about a third of the way through this book and thought it best to write this review now. Normally this is not fair to the author because more plot needs to unravel, characters need developing and so forth.

What is really grinding at me at this point is the needless detail in each scenario and the complications of names. I will give an example using my own "names" so not to spoil any characters in the book. The following is a typical scenario.

** Larry also known as the Rough Rider sat near the campfire. "Hey Rough Rider "yes "replied Larry, " me and little Jake and Big Bob are going to location x with Susan, molly, billy and frank, do you want to go?' "Larry looked at Galloping Thelma, then over towards Evil Jane who goes by Susan, Molly known as the hop along girl smiled." "No I am going to stay here with Cowboy Pete and Big River" said Larry as he pointed to his two friends Chris and Matt."***

The absurdity of the character's name being switched back and forth from their real names to their nic names in each scenario causes a reader to keep scrolling back to reread and figure out who is who.
To sum it up, to many scenarios have way to many characters involved and the constant name switching makes it impossible to read through clearly.
I will update this review when I finish the book. Grammatical errors are mine and do not reflect the author.

The Wayward Journey
The Wayward Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Will get you thinking!, July 8, 2013
What a great book! The settings, events and aftermath were very plausible and realistic. One thing about survival genre is that the authors have characters doing things that no human can do i.e. picking off targets with a handgun 2000 yards away.

Everyone has their idea of what they would do in the event of a major event,be it economical, natural or manmade event.

This book shows you possibilities that you may have never considered.

FEMA Camp 37 (The FEMA Trilogy Book 1)
FEMA Camp 37 (The FEMA Trilogy Book 1)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpassed Expectations!, July 8, 2013
I was expecting shallow characters, absurd plot and not much else.

I was pleasantly surprised and glad I bought this book. Great characters and exciting plot keep this novel moving along and a great pace.

During the course of the book,the author points out some interesting things to think about within the story. For example,just like in the description, when 200k prisoners have the chance to escape only 19 do.

Why?

That is one of many insights that are shown in this novel and that can be applied to our day to day lives. So many of us have had a chance to do something, perhaps start a new business or take a last minute vacation. And when the oppurtunity presents itself we clam up in fear.
This book shows sides, those who live in fear and those who confront it.

This novel isnt far fetched, and sadly it may be a reality in the not to distant future. Whether you beleive it could happen or that it could not happen, you will enjoy this novel.

I am looking forward to reading more in this series.

The Penal Colony
The Penal Colony

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahead of its time, July 8, 2013
This review is from: The Penal Colony (Kindle Edition)
There are plenty of reviews which will explain this novel, so I wont do that. I will tell you, that this book is epic in its storytelling and characters.Lord of the Flies meets 1984. Enjoy it.

Invasion: Colorado (Invasion America)
Invasion: Colorado (Invasion America)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Series is getting better-But starting to see a pattern, July 8, 2013
After reading the first two novels in this series, I was hesitant to purchase this one. The other two novels are not bad, but felt I was being fed the same scenarios in each book.
Invasion Colorado was a great read and was glad I bought it. I think if you have read the precious two then it is worth buying this one.
I do have a few complaints which I will outline below. Please be aware there are some *SPOILERS**

Spoilers*
Though Heppner writes fast action, greatly detailed novels, the idea that America just happens to keep winning even by a small margin is getting old. It’s not that I am necessarily rooting for the bad guys, but super tanks and kids with guns taking on Special Forces and winning is getting old.
I would prefer to see maybe a huge loss, cities be conquered and run by the enemy with no hope in sight.
I will be interested in reading the next novel in the series.

Virulent: The Release (Virulent Book 1)
Virulent: The Release (Virulent Book 1)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember when books were good?, July 8, 2013
I love the post-apocalyptic/survival genre and decided to purchase this book after getting the free sample. I won’t go into plot details, or write a lengthy review of the book overall but will hit on a few key points that in my opinion make a book great.

1. Characters- The characters in this book are great, they have personalities and flaws!
2. The plot- Plot is very exciting and had me wondering what the heck was going to happen next. Horror, suspense and what the heck just happened?! Was a consistency in this book?
3. A page turner. I am an avid reader, reading on average three fiction books a week. This book by far is the best fiction I have read in years. My stomach was in knots, my blood pressure going crazy and many times I caught myself saying out loud “Don’t do that!” or “Run, run!!!” .

Don’t hesitate, buy this book. I am looking forward to the sequel.

Wolverines: Reflections on Red Dawn
Wolverines: Reflections on Red Dawn
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, April 2, 2013
The author does a excellent job breaking down the characters and events in red dawn. From grabbing the supplies at Morris market to understanding the elements of nature used in the film. This is a must read for fans of the original or for those who enjoy understanding military conflicts,especially from a guerrilla point of view.

Page: 1 | 2