Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 391

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (CA, United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Price: $14.10
552 used & new from $3.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong Message, May 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I honestly do not know what drew me to this book. In college I did a paper on women in leadership and was shocked to pull up statistic after statistic on how little we as a sex were represented. After a terrible economic collapse and having three children, I became much more complacent to the gender bias. I was simply grateful for steady work. This well researched and tidy little book re-awakened some of the old fire in me. The statistic about women being promoted based upon past achievements and men being promoted based on potential just floored me. The books does a lot to start the discussion about gender perception and really calls attention to the problem. And it is a definite problem. Just look around your office, besides a token woman or two how many women hold leadership positions in your company. What have the woman who hold those token positions had to sacrifice to get where they are?

This is not pleasure reading. You will not read this in one sitting. The research is off putting and disheartening. As for the specifics Sandberg incorporates, they are hard to swallow. Sandberg has advantages that almost no one else can claim. Her cavalier attitude towards hiring a nanny or picking and choosing between one dream job or another is grating. Her apparent lack of mistakes is also distancing. Even her divorce is a learning opportunity.

Will I ever have Sandberg's opportunities? Nope. Can I make differences for future generations of women to claim their spot at the table? Maybe minimally, perhaps indirectly. Do I think some of this material should be required reading for all levels of management? Absolutely.

Own Products Refining Moisture Night Cream
Own Products Refining Moisture Night Cream
Offered by Web Vitamins
Price: $31.20
2 used & new from $31.20

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 weeks in still waiting for results. Own Renewing Moisture Night Cream: A User's Log, May 15, 2013
First Application
There is a definite odor to this night cream, one that I disliked instantly. The formula feels greasy for about ten minutes after using.

Three Weeks
So far-no noticeable results. It's probably too early to make a call on whether this product works to reduce firmness and discoloration at this point. It definitely has a moisturizing affect. Despite the products greasiness, I did not notice any stray pimples. It doesn't seem to bother my skin any.

I will update this soon.

Fever: A Novel
Fever: A Novel
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)

4.0 out of 5 stars Feverish Ramblings, April 22, 2013
I haven't written a book review in awhile but felt compelled to write this one. I enjoyed Mary Beth Keane's the Walking People and once I heard the subject matter for this book, I was sold. A historic trial? A medical mystery? I couldn't have picked a novel I more wanted to read.

I hope that is not a spoiler to note that Mary Mallon was the first well known `healthy' carrier of Typhoid Fever. She was asymptomatic and since little was known about how sickness spread, it was hard for people to recognize the health risk she posed. She was a cook and though out breaks of Typhoid seemed to follow her wherever she was employed; she refused to believe she could be the source of the fever. Even after she was confronted with the possibility that she was spreading the fever. She refused to cooperate. She continued to cook until she was arrested and deatined. She wasn't released for two years and only after agreeing not to cook. Despite all this, she cooks again. Changes her name and continues to cook until she is recaptured.

Enter Keane to deliver an entirely unexpected novelization of her life. The tendency to sort of side with Mary and vilify her treatment and compare it with others (non-working class males who may have received much better treatment) and conclude Mary was treated unfairly. Or try and convince readers that Mary's recklessness led to unnecessary deaths even after the danger she posed to others was explained to her. Keane does something else. She seems to take both sides-- rallying a little for Mary and then highlighting her unsafe obstinacy. So the reader is both frustrated with and sympathetic towards, Mary.

Keane once again plays with time beginning somewhere in the middle of Mary's story and then hopping all around throughout her life similar to her The Walking People narrative. Maybe more successfully this time, but I am still unsure why authors belabor this technique when a simple straightforward arc would serve.

What is known about Mary seems to all be spot on, but Keane adds a lot too. For instance additional deaths, a fabricated alcoholic live in lover, and a backstory are all provided. I'm torn too to what this all adds. A historical novelization works best for me when it holds as closely to the truth as possible. However these additive also provide period detail to further set Mary's drama.
I am beginning to realize it sounds as if I am conflicted about the book which I am not. I highly recommend it for any historical fiction fans. Mary's story horrified me, disgusted me, and baffled me in turns. I was genuinely engaged in Mary's story from the very first through the last page.

I listened to the audio version. And though the narrator slips in and out of an Irish accent inexplicably, she otherwise does a good job.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2013 9:35 AM PDT

Cotz Pediatric Spf 40, 3.5 Ounce
Cotz Pediatric Spf 40, 3.5 Ounce
Offered by Healthy Choice Forever
Price: $16.50
22 used & new from $16.12

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective but Too Expensive, April 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Cotz Pediatric is not very sheer and a little tacky so even though it is easy to apply, you have to use a lot of product to cover a child, even our seven month old. So with three kids, the bottle will be gone after one day at the beach. At this price point that just doesn't work for our family. I don't want to apply sunscreen to my child's face all the while thinking there goes another $5 I'll never see again. Especially with all the applications suggested: 15 minutes before sun, 40 minutes when sweating or swimming (so at the beach every forty minutes), otherwise every two hours. After the day at the beach, no one came home with a burn. And with 20% Zinc Oxide without any lingering odor, I would absolutely pick this up again and again at a more reasonable price. Otherwise, there are less expensive and just as effective options.

Jarrow Formulas L-Carnitine Tartrate, 500mg 100 Capsules
Jarrow Formulas L-Carnitine Tartrate, 500mg 100 Capsules
Price: $22.62
18 used & new from $19.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Think Twice, April 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With these Jarrow product descriptions I have flashbacks to microbiology classes and am never quite sure what I am getting or if I am taking a supplement for what I think I am taking a supplement for, if that makes any sense. I did grab this one. Most nights I get less than 6 hours of sleep, this just can't be helped. So many days I feel like I have no energy. I was hoping this supplement would convert some of the fat my body has stored into the energy that I need. Initially I noticed almost no increased energy with this supplement. In the middle of the day, the urge to pass out was stronger than ever. So I upped my dosage to two pills daily (it may be worth noting I am around 125 lbs, give or take), the added pill not only took away the urge to pass out, but also made it more difficult to fall asleep at bed time. So I went back to once daily. Over time (I've been taking this supplement for about six weeks), I did not feel the need to pass out but I didn't feel surges of increased energy either. Another effect I noticed was a decreased appetite which could be a good or bad thing depending on your motives.

So, I will say they work to provide moderate amounts of increased energy, and may produce additional weight loss benefits. After doing a little more research, I probably will not continue to take these pills. Personally the benefits do not outweigh the potential risks (google carnitine and arheroisclerosis if you are curious) and these supplements aren't for everyone, they probably are not even for most people. L-Carnitine is recommended if you: produce a low natural level of L-carnitine or are consuming less red meat. So if you aren't dieting, counteracting medications, a vegetarian or have a genetic disorder you may want to reconsider this supplement.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars They seem to really work, April 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been taking these supplements for over a month at the rate of one per day. Though I am never entirely sure what a Jarrow supplements product description is claiming to do, I was hoping to notice younger skin by taking these. I am pleased to say my skin looks brighter, my fines lines have faded markedly and my skin (on my face) feels softer. I have tried three different Jarrow supplements and am most pleased with the results of Carnosine. The pill seems pretty standard sized for a vitamin and I have no problems swallowing them. I haven't noticed any side effects. I plan to keep taking them.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars May Improve Mood, April 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been taking this Jarrow supplement for more than a month. I was primarily hoping for an improvement at work. I work at a job that requires focus, reasoning and analytical thinking amongst other things. Ideally these supplements would have increased my efficiency or at least sharpen my focus. We are thoroughly tracked and audited so any performance increase would be easy to spot. However, there was no marked improvement. So much for mental acumen/focus. It may work better on improving memory and focus on those who are experience memory loss due to aging? But it didn't give me a boost.

I will say that within 20 minutes of taking a supplement my mood does improve, but this boost wears off just as quickly. I will continue to take in the case that these supplements take longer to kick in, after this bottles is gone, I will not purchase going forward.

Born Free 9 oz. BPA-Free High-Heat Resistant Classic Bottle, 2-Pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by kiddie world
Price: $14.95
21 used & new from $14.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Made, April 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So far we've tried a lot of bottles while feeding our eight month old and this is Born Free model is one of my favorites. Its strengths:
*The bottles are made to be thick so they can be dropped and tossed and kicked, etc... without care.
*The bottles are also wide so that they are stable when filled and easy to clean.
* The yellowish shade sets it apart
* My son became accustomed to the nipples and flow. The 9oz has a medium flow which may be slightly slower than other bottles. My son was partially breast fed until recently so he had no problem working a little harder on this bottle. And we had no issues with burping or spitting up.
* The bottles do not leak.

Though a very good option, I still (slightly) prefer another brand for the following three reasons:
1) You can't remove the bottom on this model. Really scrubbing the bottom instead of using a bristled brush just makes me feel like I am not leaving anything behind.
2) The born free bottles are pointedly wider which makes them a little less comfortable for me to hold and they don't fit some standardized bottle slots in diaper bags/carriers.
3) I can't get replacement nipples locally or this bottle locally. In a pinch this is a problem.

However, I would definitely purchase and recommend these as a great second choice and use them all the time.

Bounty Duratowel 12 King Rolls
Bounty Duratowel 12 King Rolls
Offered by American-Storez
Price: $34.90
2 used & new from $34.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Absorbant, April 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It seems like these towels are being marketed to replace the towels of those who still use (and prefer) dishtowels. This is not me. Though I would not categorize myself a germ-a-phobe, I feel using a dish towel is just plain gross. One use and they become germ ridden. Also, when using chemicals, I need a paper towel. The major consideration for my family is always value. I don't want to pay exorbitantly for something I will end up tossing and I don't want to use hundreds of paper towels to wipe up one spill because of an inferior product. So all in all, I was very pleased with Bounty Dura Towels. They pass they absorbency test. 8 ounces of liquid were wiped up in their entirety by using only 5 towels. A feat that the basics and store bought generics do not do. Even the Scott towels, that I typically order from Amazon require several more towels to clean up a typical spill. The price is reasonable, as listed at the date of review less than two bucks a roll. My only complaints are 1) they are called "king" rolls which imply a large size or a large roll. But the sizes of the individual sheets are standard and the roll only contains 49 sheets. 2) And though they are cloth like, there are brands that are more cloth like, for instance Viva. However, in my experience this dura towel absorbs more and faster than Viva. If this was a subscribe and save item, I would have subscribed. As of now, I will be looking for this product going forward.

Knorr Roasters Roasting Bag and Seasoning Blend for Chicken, Garlic Parmesan and Italian Herb, 1.02 Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is fantastic, April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a super convenient, tasty and not unhealthy family meal. This seasoning packet includes the bag the chicken cooks in. Just add 5 or 6 pieces of thawed chicken and your main course is done. Clean-up is limited to tossing the bag. The end result is well-cooked chicken that is also juicy and surprisingly yummy. My kids especially enjoyed their dinner. I will be purchasing and trying the other flavors. This product is a gift to busy cooks.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30