Profile for Brian Mckee > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian Mckee "mordecai25" RSS Feed (Pennsylvania)

KitchenAid 12-Cup Glass Carafe Coffee Maker
KitchenAid 12-Cup Glass Carafe Coffee Maker
Offered by always bargain
Price: $79.99
18 used & new from $45.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Finally, mercifully died after a year and a half of disgust!, May 11, 2013
Let me preface this by saying that up to this point, I have loved Kitchen Aid products. Refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, toaster oven, toaster, blender, food processor, mixer, and, yes, coffee maker.

A year and a half ago I read the reviews on this product when my 10-cup Kitchen Aid coffee maker gave up the ghost after several years of faithful service. I ignored said reviews because, surely, ALL those people MUST be mistaken. Maybe, I thought, they were getting black market, illegally-made counterfeits because there was simply no way Kitchen Aid would make a stinker of a product and continue to sell it after so many poor reviews.

I was wrong.

It leaks. It leaks when you pour, it leaks when it brews (as evidenced by the copious amount of sludge underneath the coffee maker), it leaks when someone in the next room sneezes. I don't know about the rest of you, but my pre-coffee emotions are in a delicate state and having coffee spill down the side of my mug, onto the counter, and sometimes the floor EVERY morning is a bit more than I can handle. Only the sensitive ears of my children keep me from releasing a torrent of curse words. I've spent more on paper towels cleaning up spills than I'd care to admit.

There are two lids on the top of the coffee maker, one above the water reservoir and the other above the coffee grounds. The two lids are in a constant state of warfare as you can't lift one without holding the other down, since they somehow catch and stick. You can force the issue, as I have on several occasions of frustration (hoping even, that I break the darn thing and maybe glean a moment of deviant satisfaction) but there is a loud popping sound as the battle is momentarily won that surely can't be good. Great start to the morning.

I finally realized that I was starting to lose it when I found myself convincing an elderly couple at one of the "super-stores" to remove it from their shopping cart and replace it with something - ANYTHING - else. I'm not kidding. They shared that they were buying it as a gift for a newly married couple. I probed a little bit and discovered that they actually LIKED the couple they were shopping for and helped them select a different product.

All of this brings me to this morning. And as the title of this review reads, my coffee maker has mercifully died after only a year and a half. A year and a half! I've come to terms with the fact that modern products simply don't last as long, but even by today's standards, that seems incredibly short. Hardly a sound investment if you ask me.

But does it brew a good cup of coffee, you ask? Yup. It sure does. Tastes great! But it hasn't been worth the years of my life lost due to sudden increases in blood pressure, muscle tension, blood clots, and temper tantrums as a result of getting the coffee to my lips every morning.

Of course, even after reading this, you may be as I was - surely Kitchen Aid doesn't make a stinker. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky few that loves it. But be warned... I told you so.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2013 7:59 AM PDT

LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink
LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink
Price: $15.64
43 used & new from $8.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocked by how much my daughter loves this!, February 25, 2011
This toy was a gift and I have to confess I probably wouldn't have purchased this for my daughter because, in my admittedly limited experience, most of toys of this type are not worth the time or the money. This one is different.
Set-up, as a previous reviewer mentioned, was slightly aggravating as installation needed a little tweaking, but I found directions on the website that identified and fixed the problem without too much of a hassle. All-in-all, I spent about 10-15 minutes getting it ready for play, even with the little hiccup (I have some experience with the LeapFrog website as I have Violet the dog too - another great toy my daughter loves.
I was pleasantly surprised, however, by the immediate response from my daughter (she had just turned two a few weeks prior) who picked it up and started to play and explore the functions. She was engrossed to the point that she didn't want to open her other presents!
Now, I realize the attention-span of a toddler is a fleeting thing and I fully expected this to be one of those toys that would have a very short shelf-life, but here we are, 3-4 months later and she STILL plays with it on a daily basis. Durability has not been an issue as she has certainly put it through the wringer. She's dropped it, stepped on it, stood on it (I've stepped on it myself) and played with it roughly as toddlers do and it hasn't skipped a beat.
The best of all of this is the educational value. Now, granted, my daughter is a genius (as I'm sure your kid is too!), but after a few weeks of playing, she'd mastered all the letters of the alphabet and was able to generalize and identify (and verbalize) the letters on other items (shirts, signs, etc). As a parent, I was very excited to see such growth so quickly. That alone makes it worth it.
Having read some of the other reviews, I noticed people were criticizing the lack of a color display or the poor volume control, but let's be honest - the toy is a little over 20 bucks. What could you possibly expect? What you get, in my opinion, is worth every penny.

God of War III - Playstation 3
God of War III - Playstation 3
Offered by MOST WANTED
Price: $20.99
291 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finished GOW3 yesterday - best of the 3!, March 18, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I finished God of War 3 last night (Wed) after purchasing it Tuesday morning. I'm not going to go into lengthy detail other than to say that the game is spectacular! I had the misfortune (or fortune, depending on how you look at it) of being sick, so was able to play most of two days without having to work. It's on par with the other two games as far as length - took about 10 to 12 hours to beat, but I also try not to rush through a game just to finish it, so take that into consideration.

A lot of the old elements that made the first two games great are still in this one - story, graphics, voice-acting, music, game-play - and in many cases, are improved upon. Some minor alterations in game-play are fantastic, making the game much more enjoyable (when you have to push a particular button, instead of just showing you that button, it also appears on the screen in its relative position. For instance, the game will prompt you to push a 'triangle' it not only appears on the screen, it appears at the top of the screen, making it easier to determine what you need to push in the heat of battle and at the same time allowing you to actually watch the battle on the screen instead of focusing on the next button).

Anyway, the point is - the game is fantastic. Lots of fun. Very well done in all areas. Best of the three GOW titles. Best game I've played in a while. I was actually sad when it was over. Left me wanting more, for sure.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2010 6:23 PM PDT

Fisher-Price Go Baby Go! Bop & Rock Musical Lion
Fisher-Price Go Baby Go! Bop & Rock Musical Lion
Offered by ne-hi
Price: $29.99
40 used & new from $13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun for baby, but very poor execution! Constantly falls over!, September 5, 2009
Let me start by saying that my 8-month-old loves this toy, but as the other reviewer stated, it continually falls over at the slightest touch. Considering that the toy comes with a plastic hammer with which to strike three balls and the rattles the lion holds, it makes for frustrating play (particularly for the adult that must constantly hold the toy to prevent it from toppling over). It seems like the toy was never tested with an actual infant because I discovered the fault within the first few minutes of play. It's disappointing that the "experts" at Fisher-Price would allow this toy to be marketed considering that it does NOT work as intended in the slightest. If my daughter didn't enjoy it so much, it certainly would be returned or in the trash. But as it stands, I'm doomed to balance the toy with one hand, while trying to play with her and help her replace the plastic balls with the other. I would not recommend this toy at all until Fisher-Price sees fit to either make the base heavier or wider to help off-set the imbalance.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2010 7:34 PM PDT

KitchenAid KTT570WH 4-Slice Digital Toaster with Bagel, Warm, and Frozen Functions, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toaster, Reliable and Consistent!, May 19, 2003
First, I have to admit that I read some of the other reviews and was shocked by what I saw. It's what made me decide to write a review in the first place. I've found that this toaster is reliable and consistent. I've never had any problems with it burning anything I've toasted, be it a bagel or a slice of bread. It toasts everything evenly and perfectly, every time. If you've ever bought anything from Kitchen Aid, you'll find that, as with most of their products, it lives up to the name. Is it going to revolutionize cooking? No. It's a toaster. But if you're looking to start off the morning with a good piece of toast, a bagel, or an english muffin - perfectly toasted - then this is the toaster for you.