Profile for Mayfayre > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 369

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mayfayre "mayfayre" RSS Feed (New Jersey USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bubble Witch 2 Saga
Bubble Witch 2 Saga

1.0 out of 5 stars Locked Up My Fire HDX 7, April 30, 2015
This review is from: Bubble Witch 2 Saga (App)
I had no problem downloading or installing this app from the Amazon Appstore on my Fire HDX, but when I ran it, all I got was the main opening screen. Tapping the Play, Facebook or Options buttons didn't cause anything to happen. I also wasn't able to bring up the Fire's own Back, Home, or Search buttons. I had to do a hard reset to get out of the program. ESET and Malwarebytes had scanned the app as clean so I don't know what the problem is. Your mileage may vary, but I'm uninstalling it from my HDX.

Adelantado Trilogy. Book Two (Freemium)
Adelantado Trilogy. Book Two (Freemium)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars So Glad Adelantado 2 Is Finally Available Here! Now Where Are The Other Books?, April 10, 2015
This review is for the game on the Amazon Fire HDX 7.

The Adelantado Trilogy is one of my favorite games on my computer and I'm very glad to see that at long last it's finally being made available for the Fires. The game is a time management/builder-type, though it has different difficulty modes including an untimed Relaxed mode, so it can be played at whatever level the player is comfortable with. I play on the Normal mode, and my 6 year old nephew plays it on the Relaxed mode (he calls the game "Conquistador", btw) .

The Adelantado Trilogy is a set of three games that follow the exploits of a group of Spanish conquistadors who are exploring a land peopled by tribes of Aztec/Mayan-seeming people. Each part if the trilogy can be played as a stand-alone game because the over-riding story arc is a familiar one. Since this is a casual game, there are no historical nasty bits like disease-caused epidemics, wars, etc. The conquistadors and the natives interact in a non-aggressive manner. So these are good games for any age of player. The scariest bits are when cavemen and dinosaurs (time is rather loose here - lol) attack buildings. You have to chase them off, but they never kill anyone and you never kill them. This is Book Two of the Trilogy. Books One and Three have been released but they aren't available in the Amazon Appstore as of this writing. Each Book (game) is further sub-divided into two books that each contain about five chapters, plus there is a conclusion chapter. So this is a nice long game. You can save your progress on each level so you don't have to restart from the beginning. The levels are replayable if you are playing in a timed mode and want to beat your own time. In-app purchasing is just buying the full game (it was $2.99, IIRC).

The game is linear in that you have to either complete certain tasks or have certain amounts of food, wood, stone, and silver to advance to different areas of the level. The goal of each level is to discovery new territory, find X amount of gold and ship it back to Spain, and find X number of missing men from a previous expedition. The "X" amounts increase with each successive level.

The graphics are beautiful and very detailed. I'm not one for replaying games, but the Adelantado Trilogy is my go-to game when I just want to relax. I've got it on my PC and on my Nook HD & HD+, and have already played the game through to completion several times. The background music is setting-appropriate and isn't annoying. The sound effects are the ambient sounds of building, cave sounds, breaking clay pots, etc. There's none of that cheery "I'll do it!" commentary from the workers which can be so annoying in a game. The settings allow you to adjust/mute the music and sounds.

The only reason why I didn't give this game five stars is that while the gameplay is very smooth, there are some sound glitches in the cave scenes where the sound effects of Don Diego breaking the clay pots or cutting the bridge ropes are completely missing. Also at times the music will fade away for a while. Some of the sound effects that are in the PC version are occasionally missing. I've noticed this problem with Google Play version of Book Two, too, so it's a transcription/translation error in the conversion to Android. But these are just minor annoyances to someone like me whose played the games on another operating system; others might not even notice it.

This is an ejoyable game to while away the hours with, even if you are convinced that you aren't a time management game player. I wouldn't play one of those dash-type TM games if you paid me; I've tried them and I don't like them. But this game just strikes a chord in me. Perhaps it's the fact that it's set in the time of the exploration of the Americas, or perhaps its the well-drawn characters and settings, or perhaps the calm music, or maybe I just like setting all that activity in motion. Whatever the reason, I enjoy this game, my 6 year old nephew and my 9 year old niece enjoy this game too, and we all recommend this series to you.

Odd Bot Out
Odd Bot Out
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Bot - Smooth Play - Fun Physics Game, March 22, 2015
This review is from: Odd Bot Out (App)
Installed on a Kindle Fire HDX 7 without a problem. It scanned as clean by both ESET and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

Although this appears to be a minimalist game, somehow the little bot that you have to move across the levels seems to have an innocent and endearing personality (probably a projection of "the little engine that could" on my part) something that appeals to me, and I'm sure will appeal to the kidlets when I show the game to them.

The object of the game is to succeed in moving a two-legged, one-eyed little robot across each level, overcoming various physical obstacles that become progressively more complex as the game progresses. The early levels are very simple as serve as a tutorial regarding what both you and the bot can do within the scene. There are no "Options" controls, no Player name, no music (that I've come across so far, anyway), and no game timer. There are some game sounds - the sound of steps, etc.; all very unobtrusive. There is a plus sign in the upper left corner of the screen that will switch the view to that of the map of the levels. A long press on a level number will take you back to a previous level. I haven't come across any ads in the game so far.

I'm enjoying this game because it isn't frenetic; I can proceed at my own pace and take the time to figure things out. The gameplay has been very smooth so far; the game seems to be well designed. I think it's worth the purchase price.

Unofficial Candy Crush Soda Saga Guide - All Level Video Walkthrough Tips Tricks Strategies and MORE!
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy If You Have A Fire HDX!!!, January 18, 2015
I can't recommend this at all. I bought and installed it on my Fire HDX because it had the least intrusive permissions of the other guides out there. I already have Candy Crush Soda Saga on the HDX; I got it from a third-party app source so I knew that this was supposed to be just the guide. It scanned clean for malware by MBAM and ESET.

BUT - it only lists help up to Level 30. I am in the 80's levels at the moment, so it is useless on that basis.

In addition, the videos neither download nor play, making it totally useless.

There are no "secrets", "tips", or "cheats"; it opens to the page with the listing of the 30 levels.

Don't waste your money if you have the Fire HDX. I don't know if another device would make a difference, but just beware. I'll be uninstalling this.

Your Life is a Book: How to Craft & Publish Your Memoir
Your Life is a Book: How to Craft & Publish Your Memoir
by Brenda Peterson
Price: $14.82
64 used & new from $8.97

4.0 out of 5 stars This Might Finally Prove To Be The Tipping Point..., December 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
..where I actually do start to write down the stories of my life.

Lately the kidlets have been asking me for stories about my childhood and siblings, stories about their maternal grandparents who died before they were born, so it's really got me thinking of the past. My generation is now turning into the eldest in my family and I'm thinking that if none of us take the time to write down the events and stories we remember and the stories WE were told by our now-gone elders, who will ever know them? How will can future generations ever get a sense of who we are, if all we turn out to be is a name in a Bible or on a gravestone?

That's why I chose this book to review, and I'm glad that I did. It's really given me a much better sense of how I should approach writing a memoir, how things should be structured and the type of things that I should touch on, how to turn it into a coherent whole. There is also a very interesting and helpful section on actually getting a memoir published. I don't think that I'll go that route, but it was good to learn what the process entails.

So if anyone has ever told you, "You should write a book about your life!", then get this book to set yourself in the right direction.

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Cleansing Oil, 4 fl. oz.
Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Cleansing Oil, 4 fl. oz.
Price: $32.00
5 used & new from $32.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Surprised That I Like It, December 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was one of those what-the-heck choices of items for me to review. I am not a person who has a beauty regimen, never have. If I'm lucky, I remember to moisturize. So when I was reading up on this product, I was thinking, "Oil to clean the face - how's that supposed to work?". Like others, I had oily skin when I was younger so using an oil-based product was a big no-no, and my instinctive reaction is shy away from such a product.

I tested the product first on my arm to make sure that I didn't have any type of weird allergic response to it. Everything was fine.

It's very odd to be smearing oil all over your face to clean it. I followed the instructions, and after rinsing and drying my face, I was surprised that it didn't have that sort of coated-feeling that comes after using an oily/creamy product. My skin felt clean and smooth - neither dry nor oily.

Is this going to give me the skin of a twenty-year old?

Probably not.

But it did a good job of cleaning my older skin without drying it out and without it feeling odd afterward. Who knew? Cleaning with oil works well.

OXO Good Grips Extendable Tub and Tile Scrubber
OXO Good Grips Extendable Tub and Tile Scrubber
Offered by WineStuff
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointed!, December 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was so looking forward to this product because it's rather difficult for me to scrub the bathtub and its tile surround for health reasons. I own other OXO products so I know that they are normally well-thought-out and well-made.

This scrubber is sturdily made; you don't get the feeling that its pole is easily crackable - always important in an extension pole. The scrubber head is large and thick enough that you know it's going to last for a while. There's enough movement in it so that you can angle it into curves and corners, which is helped by its pointed shape.

My problem with this scrubber was its telescoping pole - it would not stay extended. It didn't appear to click into place when extended, there was no way to twist-lock it, and snugness wasn't enough to hold it in place. I extended the pole to scrub the upper portion of the tile surround, and when I pressed the scrubber against the wall, the pole telescoped in. So I had to lean over the tub in order to reach the wall with the now half-size pole. The same thing happened when I went to wash the bottom of the tub; any pressure on the pole caused it to telescope in.

The concept is very good and it would be a very useful tool - if it worked properly. Other people seem to be happy with this product so maybe I got a lemon. I don't know. But based on my experience with this product I can't recommend it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 9:40 AM PST

Murder at the Painted Lady
Murder at the Painted Lady
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Romantic Mystery, November 29, 2014
This is the kind of mystery story that's a pleasant reading diversion, the kind that you read for a while before you go to bed.

There are a number of possible suspects, crimes both new and old, a mild romance, and good ultimately triumphs. The characters are given just enough backstory to make them distinguishable but not enough to make them more than superficially interesting. Process of elimination makes the villain clear relatively quickly. The main focus is on the Victorian house, not the surrounding community.

This book is basically brain candy for when you're in the mood for a light mystery. There were no glaring spelling or grammatical errors to throw you out of the story. The romanctic element was limited to a couple of kisses, so the story is "safe" if that kind of thing concerns you.

It served its purpose as a time-waster for me. I would read another book by this author when I'm in a similar mood.

Viking Saga: The Cursed Ring (Freemium)
Viking Saga: The Cursed Ring (Freemium)

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good, November 28, 2014
Playing on a Fire HDX 7. Looks to be another quality Realore time-management/builder game. It has good cut-scenes that provide the storyline, excellent graphics and very smooth game play. The first levels are well-designed tutorials which makes it easy to learn how to play this type of game.

The storyline is that of a Viking leader's younger son who is sent out on a quest by said-leader to give a cursed ring back to a character who might be the mythic Nordic figure Loki in disguise, in order to remove the curse.

Options include Easy, Normal and Hard game play modes, sounds, music, and you can turn the character voices on/off. The in-app purchasing is the option to buy the full game; it costs $2.99 as of this date, and is well worth it, IMO.

Realore tends to do these historical TM/builder games very well; I probably have most of them in the PC version so it's good to see them making their way to the Amazon Appstore finally.

Now, if they'd only make the Adelantado Triology games available for the Fire devices…

FlipStands Mini: New, Compact Portable Aluminum Multi-Adjustable Stand in Gold finish for the Kindle, Kindle Fire, Fire HD 6", Fire HFD 7", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Fire HDX 7", Kindle Fire 8.9" and Kindle E-Readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Sturdy And Useful Stand, November 24, 2014
I love this stand. It is extremely sturdy since the part that holds the device is made out of aluminum. It adjusts to a variety of angles and you can use it to hold your device in either portrait or landscape mode without worrying about it tipping over. It has rubber bumpers so your device doesn't touch the actual metal. It is very portable though not quite as lightweight as an all-plastic one would be, but on the other hand you don't have to worry about tip-overs. I've used it with the Fire HDX 7 and the Nook HD. I keep it on my bedside table and since my cable company has a live streaming app, I put my HDX on it and use it as a bedroom TV.

I recommend this stand.