Profile for J. Sichel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Sichel RSS Feed

Tech Armor LG G3 Premium Ballistic Glass Screen Protector - Protect Your Screen from Scratches and Drops - Maximize Your Resale Value - 99.99% Clarity and Touchscreen Accuracy
Offered by Tech Armor
Price: $9.95
2 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic screen protector for your phone, November 29, 2014
The Tech Armor Ballistic Glass Screen Protector is a massive improvement over the cell phone screen protectors of old. No unsightly bubbles or floppy plastic peeling off the edges of your device. The glass was easy to install, almost invisible, and provides great protection from scratches and even drops. At a price that's less than 1/4 what you'll pay in a big box retail store for the same thing, it really is a no brainier. I'd recommend this product to anyone looking to protect their smartphone.

Tomb Raider [Download]
Tomb Raider [Download]
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A high quality game in an era without many, March 26, 2013
To help put this review in perspective, I've never been much of a Tomb Raider fan. I played the orignal ones on Playstation ages ago and they never really stuck out as games to remember for me. That said I heard some of the buzz around this being a "true pc game" and a quality one at that so I decided to check it out.

My system: Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7, Nvidea Gforce 560ti 2gb, 16gb ram

Graphics: Simply fantastic. This has no hint of a console port anywhere. I was able to play this on settings between high and ultra at 1080p and maintain a smooth 60+ fps 100% of the time. The game looks stunning, character models are sharp and don't suffer from the shininess or woodeness we so often see. Environments are detailed and the weather effects look great. I didn't use the new tresFX feature for hair because of the framerate hit, but really it's not neccesary. I can't say I've played a better looking game on PC, or at least one that ran as smoothly at the same time. GRAPHICS RATING: 10/10

Sound: The voice acting was well done in Tomb Raider. I can't say I remember Lara's orignal voice on PS1 very well, but the new voice actor will do just fine. The supporting cast of main characters is diverse and the dialogue is pretty good across the board, avoiding the cringe-inducing lines found in most story games. Gunshots sound powerful, not soft like so many games, enemies communicate with each other and scream out when hit. This game won't redifine audio in games as we know it, but I really enjoyed playing it with the volume cranked up. SOUND RATING: 9/10

Campaign: This ended up being one of my favorite single player games I've played through in the last few years. The campaign starts off with Lara shipwrecked on an island. Scared for her life, she begins trying to regroup with her shipmates and is forced to learn to survive on the deadly island. The pacing is slow for the first hour, showing you gameplay mechanics and building up the story. And then all hell breaks loose and Lara goes from a scared young lady into a cold blooded killing machine. It's a bit of an akward transition, but this is a video game and we signed up for a violent one. The combat is well done, although pretty easy on the normal difficulty. I really liked the fluid cover system, you don't have to press a button or stick to walls, Laura adapts to what is in front of her and I never had any issues with it. Other game makers please take note of this! This is Tomb Raider after all so there is lots of platforming, and it's also pretty well done. The game does a good job of slowly sprinkling in new mechanics all the way until the end, so Lara never ends up performing the same climbing sequence too often. Combined with the weapon upgrade and skill point systems similar to games like Far Cry, the action is fresh even if it gets a bit repetive shooting wise. Lots of people are upset this game included frequent 'quick time events'. These accounted for a the vast majority of my deaths, but the checkpoint system is so good backtracking was never an issue. I don't think anyone really likes quick time events, but they kind of made sense for some of the situations you find yourself in. The story seems kind of generic for being on a ritualistic island with crazed locals trying to kill you in the name of the "Sun Queen", but the chracters and the story pacing actually made me care about what happened next. Combine that with hidden journals and relics that reveal story lore and it's actually pretty gripping. I finished the story in about 9 hours of gameplay, which is fantastic considering how short most games are these days. After you beat the game you can go back and work towards a 100% completion mark if you choose, which requires raiding all the hidden tombs, finding all the relics, etc. CAMPAIGN RATING: 9.5/10

Multiplayer: I didn't dive into this since 3rd person shooters aren't really my cup of tea online. Most responses indicate it's rather tacked on and nothing special. But it's there for you if you want to give it a try.

Other thoughts: This reboot of Lara Croft is vastly different than the original character. No longer is Lara a disproportionate sex icon of the video game industry. She looks like a real (yet very attractive) person, shows real emotion, and is a very likeable character throughout. I found myself rooting for her in the story, not just playing along. The game actually has no sexual themes, which I thought was both suprising and welcomed for a Tomb Raider reboot.

It's worth noting that even for a mature game, this one may be even more violent, simply because of the death cutscenes. If you fall off a cliff, lose a fight with a wolf, etc prepare to watch an gruesome cutscene of Lara dying in some awful manner. Seriously these are kind of hard to watch, the realism is almost too much. Not detracting from the final score, just worth mentioning.

I played this game on Steam with 0 issues.

The Verdict: Color me suprised but we have a genuine PC game that is a great reboot of one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. This is a high quality single player game that plays very well on PC. The challange isn's much on normal difficulty, and the action can be a bit repetative, but the story drives the immersion and the game gradually reveals new toys and mechanics all the way until the end to keep it fresh. I was locked into Tomb Raider from start to finish, and this game reminded me of just how great PC gaming can be when the proper effort is put forth in development. I'll be looking forward to more Tomb Raider games from Square Enix in the future. FINAL RATING: 9.5/10

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic piece for home or office, February 25, 2013
I bought one of these to hang in my cubicle at work. It is a sharp looking banner that draws attention to itself in all the right ways. The UMD logo and and Champ's face pop nicely, but the banner has a timeless classy look to it as well. The felt feels nice, and the banner was easy to hang and stays flat against the wall. I would highly recommend one of these for the office, or as a gift to a UMD student or alumni.

Sheets Energy Strip 10-Count, Berry Blast
Sheets Energy Strip 10-Count, Berry Blast
Offered by Central Supply Co.
Price: $35.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't see these catching on, February 25, 2013
Just for a bit of background I've tried many different ways to get my caffeine and energy fix in the mornings. Coffee is my go to, however I've tried many of the various energy shots, energy drinks, caffeine pills, and now Sheets Energy Strips.

I picked up a pack of these at a local retail store for $5.99, which is rather pricey. They come wraped in individal foil packs, stored inside a reclosable case about the size of a pack of ciggaretes. You open the foil, place the sheet which looks like a fruit rollup on your toungue, and it disolves. Well sort of, mine never fully dissolved. Instead I had to chew and swallow the rest of the sheet. Which brings up the fundamental flaw here, taste. The berry ones I purchased were, to put it nicely, disgusting. Like a mixture of toothpaste and fruit juice. This flavor made those those bad tasting energy shots taste gourmet by comparrison. Well you didn't buy these for a snack, and as far as caffeine goes they deliver. They recommend taking between 1-3 sheets. I took 2 my first time, and as a regular coffee drinker the buzz was comparable to one cup of coffee.

Would I buy these again? Almost certainly not. They do what they are advertised to do, but they are very pricey and in my opinion nothing more than a gimmik. I can't say taking a sheet was more enjoyable than sipping a cup of coffee or even forcing down an energy shot. They are fast, so maybe if you need something portable to keep around for a quick pick up these will do the trick.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PC
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PC
Offered by DealTavern
Price: Click here to see our price
72 used & new from $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Ops II: Better than expected, November 14, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
To help put this review in persepctive, I have been playing Call of Duty since its PC roots with COD 1 and have played every COD besides the portable spin offs. Before this game I had become incredibly bored of the "COD forumula", and MW3 left me feeling very unsure about the future of this series. This game was going to be my last go at buying COD on release day. I'll break this review down into categories for the sake of readability.

Graphics: As someone who used to play these games on Xbox 360, the jump to my higher end PC really presents almost no difference visually from MW3 on Xbox. That's not to say the game looks bad, the characters gear and facial expressions look detailed and the environent and weather effects are excellent. But it is clear the engine has changed little in the last two years and doesn't hold up graphically to the higher end PC games. The plus side is it runs at the consistant frame rate that COD is known for and never slows down no matter what's on screen (your millage will vary depending on PC). GRAPHICS RATING 8/10

Sound: The audio in COD games has been a mixed bag for me since the WWII days of this series ended. I was very impressed with the voice acting in the campaign so far, the dialogue is another story. My biggest gripe remains, and that is that the weapons just sound kind of "soft" when fired, like they lack any real punch compared to the rest of the fighting in the background. Since this is a game where you fire thousands of bullets I consider this to be a major issue. Explosions and background effects from radio chatter and soliders yelling are about par for the course. SOUND RATING 6/10

Campaign: I really enjoyed the Black Ops I campaign a lot more than the MW2 and MW3, and this one has impressed me so far. The future setting works well for a game that badly needed a change of pace. The campaign jumps between past, present, and "future" (2025 where the game takes place)through cutscenes and dialogue. The cutscenes are a new addition to the game and nice for moving the story along, but unlike most games they look much worse visually than the actual game play. The future setting allows for some new gameplay elements like hacking, optical camo, and cool gadgets that are somewhat beleivable. I haven't played far enough in to experiance the new strike missions, but I've read they are a mixed bag. The core gameplay is largly unchanged and will be very familiar to COD vets. Go here, kill these guys, get on that turret, pick up that missile launcher, etc. But in the future setting I must admit I was actually having fun again instead of just going through the motions like MW3. The set pieces (rail scenes) are classic COD, and it's a lot of fun jumping off a cliff in a windsuit in the pouring rain. One other notable change is the addition of a loadout screen, so that pre mission you can choose your weapons and gear. This is a great addition. So far so good on the campaign. CAMPAIGN RATING: 8/10

Multiplayer: This is what I buy COD for. I was massivly dissapointed with MW3, just felt like I was buying a map pack for an older COD game. BLOPS II changes the formula and hits a suprising homerun here. The biggest change is to the create a class. Instead of the old "pick one perk/attachemnt from each slot" now there is a 10 point system. Any combination of attachments, weapons, perks, etc can be selected as long as their value adds up to 10 or less. This allows for nearly unlimited possibilites. Maybe you want two perks from "perk 1" slot, go for it, just ditch that extra grenade. Want 3 weapon attachments? Sure maybe ditch that "perk 3" slot you didn't care much for. This will allow players plenty of options for creating their ultimate killing machine. The killstreaks are now pointstreaks, so teamwork is slightly more encouraged (of course no one cares anyways, its all about the K/D for most players). The airstrike/support options are all a lot of fun, and nothing seems rediculously overpowered compared to older games (chopper gunner!!!). There is a new e-sports league mode where you are matched based on skill and all unlocks are made available. COD TV is built in, but I haven't tried it yet. There is a fully customizable mode with bots. These features make the whole multiplayer feel complete and well rounded. The maps are mostly of the smaller variety, but each has a unique visual style and I find them more enjoyable than MW3 maps. I'm sure DLC maps will show up in no time as well. The core gameplay modes are all there with a few new ones, and well nothing is radically different here, the future weapons and new customization options make for a great kill fest online. My major gripe here is the lack of dedicated servers, which unfortunatly makes this closer to the Xbox Live experiance. MULTIPLAYER RATING: 9/10

Zombies: Haven't played this much yet. From my limited exposure it looks to be completly overhauled. The map is much larger and full of secrets and choices. There is an armored bus that will transport you between sections while zombies give chase. A few new game modes here including a fully customizable experiance (headshots only for example) should keep zombie fans busy for quite some time. Compared to the old zombie modes this one is a big step forward. ZOMBIES RATING: 10/10

Issues: The game must be installed in Steam, and is close to a 20gb install. Keep that in mind if you're considering a digital download. The DVD set comes with two install disks and it still took close to 30 min before I was up and playing. Also for some reason each mode (single player, multi, zombies) must be launched seperatly. Switching between them DOES NOT keep your video/control settings from the previous one, so you will have to configure each mode seperatly (just once). The controls are akward, I did some rebinding and now I'm good to go (speciifcally crouch/prone and melee).

The verdict: I bought this almost expecting to be dissapointed, instead I've been pleasantly suprised. Activision has pulled an upset here, and for the first time in over a year this game will sell well not just because of the franchise name. A change in scenery, well balanced and refined multiplayer, zombies 2.0, and lots of customization options will keep you busy for a long time. If you're an old COD fan who's grown bored of these games lately, or a new player looking to jump on the late bandwagon I recommend Call of Duty Black Ops II. VERDICT: 8.5/10
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2013 4:52 AM PST

PS3 500 GB Assassin's Creed III Bundle
PS3 500 GB Assassin's Creed III Bundle
Offered by BetterLifeTech
Price: $309.99
36 used & new from $150.00

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've waited this long to get a PS3 here is your reward, November 6, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As a long time Xbox 360 owner I decided to sell my old system and move onto the PS3. My logic was that I was going to buy the Assasin's Creed game anyways and selling my Xbox and all the old games I don't play practically paid for this bundle.

The system: A far more attractive black box than my roommate's original PS3, it looks aestheically pleasing and sharp sitting on my TV cabinet. The PS3 is very quiet (especially compared to the leafblower fan in my original 360). It comes with a wireless Duelshock 3 controller and a controller charging cable. The cable is very short and likely impractical for gaming while charging. The good news is once charged these controllers have FANTASTIC battery life. I thought I would have a hard time adjusting to the PS3's smaller controller from the Xbox 360, not the case. The controller is very comfortable and in my opionion looks better than the Xbox ones. Sticking with the theme of short cables, the power cable from the PS3 to the wall was also pretty short and barely reached the outlet. Not a huge deal but could be improved by Sony. The system comes with standard definition cables only, another cost cutting method no doubt. Luckily I had an extra HDMI cable and you'll want to make sure you have one if you have an HD TV (please don't buy one for $50+ at a retail store, get them online or ask your cable guy if he has an extra in his truck next time). These new PS3 systems have a plastic cover on top that acts as a sliding cover for the disk tray. This fixes the problem of disks being unremovable if the system has a technical problem. The cover feels and looks kind of cheap, but from a distance it doesn't really take anything away from the sharp looks of this system. The system is packed with a 500gb hard drive, which is just massive for a console. My Xbox was the 20gb original so I feel like I have limitless space for games and demos. I do find it odd that games need to be installed, but it's a minor gripe.

The game: I've only watched my roommate's play the other Assasin's Creed games, so this is my first go playing one. I'm having a hard time putting it down. The story is more engaging than the others, combat improved, and the graphics are very sharp. This is a great game that will keep you busy for a long time. If you're buying the bundle you probably know plenty about this game already so I won't go into detail.

Extras: This bundle comes with a 30 day trial to Playstation Plus, a premium online service. You'll need a credit card to use the trial and be wary of it auto-renewing once it's up. PS+ lets you download full versions of certain games as time trials, get automatic updates(not sure why this feature is "premium"), and certain other exclusives. I don't see myself using it as ditching the Xbox live fees was one of my motivations for switching.

Overall: If you're an Assasin's Creed fan and needed an excuse to finally buy a PS3, this is it. The bundle is a great value for the money. While not perfect, I do like this system more than my Xbox and the game it comes with is one of the best this year.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2013 9:33 AM PDT