Profile for Kat > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 134

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kat "Reviewer @ Shivers Of Horror" RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Viva Labs #1 Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Viva Labs #1 Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Offered by Premium Vitamins
Price: $18.95
21 used & new from $12.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all that great for hair care, November 25, 2013
I was approached Viva Labs saying that they had seen my numerous reviews on Amazon and they would like to have me test their product and review it.

Let me start off by saying I know nothing about hair care really other then the average person. Wash it and keep it clean. I condition it, and I also like to style it straight (using a flat iron) or go curly using various styling products. But when it comes to the nitty gritty type of stuff, I don’t really know much.

So when I was offered a free product to try I figured why not? I love free stuff! Come on who doesn’t? But, I knew nothing about this product, not until it arrived on my doorstep shortly thereafter.

Viva Labs Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil comes in a plain tub. But the label stuck out to me: “Great for Cooking and Baking, Skin and Hair Care” Say what? You can use it on your skin and cook with it? WEIRD! Quite frankly, I was confused and had no idea what on earth I was supposed to do with this big tub (15oz) of Coconut Oil.

The label reads:
Suggested Use: As a supplement, take 1-4 tablespoons per day for best results. Can be added to your favorite foods to boost nutrition.

My thoughts: After sticking my fingers into this weird but soft texture, I’m not sure I’d want to just go ahead and snack on the product. But after having opened it, awhile later the product turned very hard. Almost reminding me of frosting gone hard.
The label continues:

For Cooking: Excellent for cooking up to 350*. Can be used as a dairy-free alternative to butter in baking.

For Skin Care: Use as a luxurious body moisturizer. Especially helpful for rough, cracked elbows and heels.

For Hair Care: Use as a restorative, all-natural hair mask by massaging 1 tablespoon into dry hair. Let sit for 1-2 hours, shampooing thoroughly afterwards.

Store in a cool, dry place with lid tightly sealed. No refrigeration necessary.

Honestly, the thought of eating, or cooking with this stuff, just did not seem appealing to me. So I decided to use it for skin and hair care. The product isn’t exactly solid, but it isn’t in lotion form either. At least not after opening it. Upon the second use I had to microwave the container for a little bit until it melted and I was able to put it in my hair. I have hair down past my breasts, and so 1 tablespoon seemed way too little for me. Instead of measuring, I just stuck my hand in and grabbed a glob and tried to make sure every part of my hair was saturated in the product. Then, using a clip, I clipped it to the top of my head and let it sit for two hours.

Washing it out was kind of a pain. Its oily, so you know how oil and water work together….they don’t. I ended up using a ton of shampoo, and shampooed at least twice, also then using a conditioner.

Quite frankly, I can’t say I noticed anything different about my hair. I tried using the product again a couple days later. And then once or twice after that, and still had no results I noticed. Then again, I don’t know what it was supposed to exactly do for my hair to really pay attention to it.

I also tried using the product as a lotion once, but felt it was too oily and didn’t want it to ruining whatever clothing I was wearing at the time.

So, for the ways that I used this product, I didn’t find that it really did anything for me other then smell really good. Perhaps it works better for others.

Since I didn’t use it for all ways it could be used, and I wasn’t sure exactly what it was supposed to do I’m giving this a 3 star rating. It didn’t hurt my hair, but didn’t seem to improve it at all either.

Etou Shiny Plastic Protective Case for iPhone 4S (Purple)
Etou Shiny Plastic Protective Case for iPhone 4S (Purple)

1.0 out of 5 stars Shiny Snap-On Purple, November 21, 2013
Had to request a refund. Seller sent 2 cases, both were hot pink not purple, and both were too big for the new Verizon iPhone 4S which I just got two weeks ago. These seemed like they should have been for the iPhone 5. Seller did refund as of today.

Nexercise for Kindle
Nexercise for Kindle
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Free gift cards for just moving around!, November 21, 2013
This review is from: Nexercise for Kindle (App)
I love this. I turn it on all the time when I'm at work and walking around. When I clean the house, when I go out for walks, etc etc. Between Runntastic Pedometer, Nexercise, and Weather App, I've wracked up enough for a $5 off amazon Gift Card.

eForCity® Snap-on Case Compatible With Apple® iPhone® 4 / 4S, Light Purple Bling Rear
Offered by Globalprice
Price: $2.48
3 used & new from $1.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but works on my verizon iphone 4s, November 21, 2013
I got the light purple/pink glitter case. Its very light, and cheap. Glitter started coming off the moment I put it on the phone. I still love it, but wish there was a layer over the glitter so it didn't fall off. Edges were clear, and the corner of the case was also cracked, but seems to work ok. For the price its decent and usable. For the record I have a NEW Verizon iphone 4S

The Wrong Number (Fear Street, No. 5)
The Wrong Number (Fear Street, No. 5)
by R. L. Stine
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.39
224 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The good ole days of prank phone calls...before Caller ID, July 13, 2013
Anyone who was a teen in the 80s-90s remembers the good old days (for many reasons) before Caller ID came out. Calling strangers and friends and pretending to be someone scary lurking in a closet, under the bed, in the bushes outside the window, or simply asking if their refrigerator is running. I fondly remember my childhood and making MANY prank calls. Now if you do this you have to block your number and fear the cops might be called on you for making a joke. I think now people look for ways to prank text, and again, you have the whole calling of the cops issue which was rare back in the day. Least I never got caught! And I made a ton of prank calls. Heck, my older sister was a pro at them.

I originally enjoyed the Fear Street books back when I was about 12-15 years old (and I enjoy going back and rereading them now @32 years old, for nostalgia sake). I think back then kids were "younger" then they are today. So while back then, these were aimed at teenagers, today's teenagers (14-17yrs old) who are subjected to so much less censorship, might think a book like this is immature. This book was written in early 1990 when prank calling was popular.

The following review is a brief excerpt from my horror movie/book review blog, Shivers of Horror (link in profile):

The basic premise to the book is that Deena and her best friend Jade decide to make some prank phone calls to their fellow classmates. Deena calls her crush and flirts with him anonymously. They end up getting caught by Chuck, Deena's half brother who's a troublemaker who just moved in with them after being kicked out of his old school. Chuck decides he wants in on the prank calls too or he`s going to rat them out. So over the course of the next couple nights they make more prank calls including one to a house on Fear Street where it just so happens they hear a murder taking place. Now, while I liked this book, this is one of the plot points I thought was really weak. To hide the fact that they know about the murder the three teenagers decide it's a good idea to go to the house they called and see if the woman they heard screaming is ok. They don't want to involve the police so they don't get in trouble for pranking people. Why couldn't they just go to the police station and say "hey, I screwed up and dialed this wrong number and heard someone in trouble, can you trace the address from the last number dialed and check it out?" seems easy enough to me. But then I guess there wouldn't be this book.

In the end, they get in trouble for the woman's murder, and take it upon themselves to clear their names. Ending up almost being killed by the real killer.

In the end The Wrong Number had likable characters and an interesting plot. It also reminded me of what it was like to be a kid in the 80s/90s. The book felt like one of the more mature Fear Street books to me, as it was written a lot better then then R.L. Stine's later Fear Street books (this was one of the early ones being #5 to the Fear Street series). The later ones seem more "juvenile", I suppose.

I would highly recommend it as a starting place to the Fear Street series, as there is no need to read them in order.

There is a sequel that was written years later called Wrong Number 2. It honestly wasn't very good, and completely unneeded.

Plague Nation: An Ashley Parker Novel
Plague Nation: An Ashley Parker Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the first, this one is fun too, but not as good, June 25, 2013
Already got to know everyone in the first book so there was no need to reintroduce anyone. I felt Ashley lost a little of her spunkiness in this book which was one of the things I loved about the character.

There was still a lot of pop culture references, but I thought they may have been aimed at an older crowd (or I'm just stupid lol!) I'm almost 32, and I didn't "get" some of them and there definitely weren't as many of them as there were in the first book, which was another thing I loved.

In the end while I enjoyed the book, and was a little shocked by some of the things that happened (people killed off, etc), I just didn't feel that this one lived up to my expectations after the great first book. BUT, I still enjoyed it, and eagerly await the next in the series.

Family Feud 2012 - Xbox 360
Family Feud 2012 - Xbox 360
Offered by UltimateDiscountsCANADA
Price: $13.49
33 used & new from $9.89

2.0 out of 5 stars No online play!?! WOW!, June 25, 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I rented this on GameFly excited to play it online multiplayer only to realize it had none! I was utterly shocked and very disappointed.

Its been awhile since I rented this, but I also seem to recall there being a LOT of talking that you couldn't skip over which also made gameplay annoying.

I played it for a couple days then shipped it back. I didn't care for the way the entire game was set up. Honestly, the version my friend had on a FLOPPY DISC from the late 80s was better then this. Very sad. Hope they come out with another edition and make it online multiplayer.

Speaktoit Assistant
Speaktoit Assistant
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars As stated before, doesn't work with Kindle Fire HD, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Speaktoit Assistant (App)
Perhaps it shouldn't be available to download for Kindle since you can't even talk to the app. I spent a long time trying to talk to "Sam" and it didn't work, I didn't bother reading reviews before downloading. So this app seems pretty pointless to me. I'm glad it was free so not a huge deal in the long run. Was just excited to get something like "Siri" and now I cannot without voiding the warranty and "jailbreaking" (aka rooting) the Kindle. Heard there was a way to do it with Google Voice Search, but I'm not jumping through hoops and downloading this and that to get this to work.

Vizio 47' LED 1080p 120Hz HDTV | M470VSE
Vizio 47' LED 1080p 120Hz HDTV | M470VSE

4.0 out of 5 stars 4th HDTV, and its not great, but not bad, April 2, 2013
I originally had the Sony BRAVIA S-Series KDL-46S5100 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV, Black for 4 or so years. Great picture, except for some ghosting and sound cutting in and out. It was under an extended warranty (highly recommend that for these HDTVs, they don't last long!) and I was able to get my money back and purchase a new TV.

We got the VIZIO E470i-A0 47-inch 1080p 120Hz LED Smart HDTV because we HAD to have streaming. We were sick of paying $60 for xbox gold and the streaming ability on our Sony BluRay player was busted for some reason. So our choices of TVs with streaming in our budget with extended warranty was limited. Unfortunately the E470i had some serious issues. It was very pixely, and the color presets were all a mess. I messed with that thing for about 3 days and we had to return it.

The only one left within our budget was this M470VSE. As soon as I turned it on I knew it was a keeper compared to the last Vizio. Its MUCH clearer. The color presets weren't that far off what they should have been, and everything worked great...

However, I still do not think it is as clear as the Sony. The colors don't quite POP like it did. Even with a ton of tweaking. And it seems to have audio sync issues. Sometimes it constantly happens, and then other times it doesn't happen for days. I'm really hoping it won't be a problem. But considering there is an audio sync option build in, I'm thinking Vizio knew about the problem and just didn't know or care about fixing it, so added that. Who knows.

As far as the "Soap Opera" effect as the other reviewer mentioned. This is because of the 120hz. I've done a ton of research on this. As far as I like, I like the 60hz better because I hate that effect. What is the point of paying extra for a feature you dislike? But my husband (who hates that too) wouldn't take anything less then a 120hz LED.

Anyhow, you can turn off the effect by going to:
Menu > Settings > Game Mode and turn it ON. This will stop that effect. HOWEVER, I've recently learned that if you do play video games, this effect will go OFF, and you have to go back in and turn it ON again. A little annoying.

As for my personal color settings (for most shows and movies its decent, some look a little orange, I have the following:

Menu > Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight 100
Brightness 52
Contrast 63
Color 70 (change this if the color is too bright)
Tint 0

Adaptive Luma STRONG
Film Mode OFF
Backlight Control OFF
Ambient Light Sensor OFF

Hope this helps someone! Any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer

UPDATE 4/19/13: I was recently house sitting, and couldn't find the remote for the SONY Bravia 3D TV I was watching (sorry no more info then that at the moment), and it was stuck in the "soap opera" mode. But I realized it was much much much more of a subtle effect then the Vizio TV and there was no pizelization. So, I think I'm coming to the conclusion that Vizio really is not very good.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2014 7:16 AM PDT

L'Oreal Paris Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream, Light, 1.0 Ounces
L'Oreal Paris Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream, Light, 1.0 Ounces
Price: $7.96
11 used & new from $2.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, but too dark for "light", April 2, 2013
First of all. I got this for $8 at Walmart. Not $18 as listed here on Amazon! That is INSANE!

When I originally tried using it I was shocked to see it come out white with blue speckles. But those go away and the more you rub the lotion on, the more it changes to its color.

I am white. Very pale but not porcelain white. I can get a nice dark tan in the summer. I'm a natural redhead who's hair has turned a brownish color. This BB cream was dark for me. I actually got comments on getting some sun. I was confused until I realized it was my new BB cream.

Anyhow, if it was lighter it would be perfect. But I make do with it. Its not so horrible for me, and I'm sure once summer comes around it will even out more for me.

As for the actual product. I love it. I use it with Hard Candy Sheer Envy Primers Primer 137. And my skin feels amazing. I also have NOT broken out (yet?!) As I have acne prone skin from PCOS. I normally use Avon Extra Lasting Liquid Foundation SPF 12 LIGHT IVORY liquid foundation, and I'm about ready to throw that out (although its great for sweating in the summer, but makes my nose look dry). This BB cream makes my skin look nice and smooth and I don't have to use powder at all.

I would recommend to use very little at first to see what the color turns and blend it in a good amount. I also use a tiny bit of my Avon liquid foundation if I feel I need a little more cover or evening out as its lighter then this. I use Hard Candy Glamoflauge HEAVY DUTY CONCEALER with pencil (Medium Light shade 488) to cover pimples. You only need the amount of the tip of a pencil to do a few spots, it works so well! That stuff hides my pimples like nothing else I've ever tried.

And last, if needed I add some CoverGirl Professional Translucent Face Powder Translucnt Medium(N) 115, 0.7-Ounce Shaker top jar (Pack of 2).

The only reason I'm taking 1 star off of this BB cream is because like others said, it definitely is not as light as it could be. However, while I was at the store there were 1-2 other colors that were lighter then this. So there are some out there! I just grabbed this one based on the colors of my other makeup

UPDATE 11-25-13: I recently purchased the FAIR version of this as my summer tan has faded and this one made me look orange. The fair version is too light for me, but tolerable with using the Avon over it. It still gives me that very smooth feeling.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14