Profile for Crispy Morton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Crispy Morton RSS Feed (los angeles, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Aurorae Yoga Slip Free Rosin Bag. Stop Slipping on your Yoga Mat, Odor Free and Non Sticky. Made in USA.
Offered by AURORAE
Price: $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Slide mostly no more!, September 15, 2012
This works great on my sometimes slippery Manduka Pro mat. The only time it stops working is when the mat is so insanely covered with sweat that no reasonable person would expect anything other than a yoga towel to stop the slide. If a river of sweat is trickling off the tip of my nose, I lay the towel down. My yoga teacher is former gymnast, and when she saw my powdery mat she said, "Chalk! Smart!" For this stuff to work, you have to dust the mat with it before class, NOT your hands and feet. Be careful not to send up a giant cloud of dust or you will get stank eye from the other yogis, especially if it's a crowded class. Recommended!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The iron skillet of yoga mats, May 30, 2012
For a long time, I didn't think a yoga mat mattered. I mean, in India, they don't even use a mat right!? And $100!? That is CRAZY. But then, my husband went out and bought a lululemon mat and I tried it. I was like...hmmm, this sucker doesn't move. It's kinda nice. And before long: "Hey honey, can I borrow your mat today?" It was only a matter of time before I wanted my own super fancy yoga mat. My teacher says her Manduka gives her superpowers, so decided that was the mat for me. Some people complain that it takes a long time to break this mat in. I had trouble sliding the first few times I used it, so I scrubbed it with sea salt, rinsed it, and left it out in the sun for a day. It's kind of like seasoning an iron skillet, the more you use it, the better it gets! I think the key is to leave it in the sun...that seems to break down the coating that makes it slippery. While I was in "break-in" mode, I used a grippy yoga towel on top and that worked fine. (We work hard and sweat a lot.) All in all, it took about three weeks of 2-3X classes per week to break it in. If you practice yoga seriously, don't be a dunce like me and wait a million years to get a decent mat. I can't believe the difference...my problem with the cheap one was that it was stretching when I was in down dog and standing poses, making me unstable. This mat does NOT move, and it doesn't follow me when I vinyasa. I've found that I'm able to "work" in the poses because my feet and hands don't move anymore, poses as basic as downdog are a whole new experience. It has a lot of cushion, so my knees don't hurt, AND, the grippy thickness helps in standing balance poses as well. I've noticed a huge improvement in my practice now that my mat isn't working against me. SO...join the $100 yoga mat club. It seems ridiculous at first, but remember this: a Manduka lasts a lifetime, so if you are a committed yogi, this mat will actually save you money over time, and shrink your footprint too. I mean, do we really need more cheap mats in landfills?

Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel
Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel
by Gary Shteyngart
Price: $18.94
201 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Occupy, Facebook, Debt Crisis, it's all here, January 2, 2012
I was driving today, after finishing this book, and saw a Starbucks in a Bank of America branch, attached to a Ralphs and immediately thought, "BofAStarbucksRalphs"......I saw coverage of the Occupy movement encampments on the news and thought of Tompinks Square park and the displaced vets in the book. I teach, and the insertion of abbreviations and text-slang is already permeating what is supposed to be formal writing. All the things Gary Shteyngart puts forth in SSTLS are already happening to various degrees, I know I'll never look at my iPhone the same way again! This book takes place in the near future, but that future could easly be just a year or so away. But don't mistake this book for sci-fi, or for a romance. This book is a social satire told through the lens of a May-December romance. If you liked Jennifer Egans "A Visit from the Goon Squad", and David Mitchell's, "Cloud Atlas", then you will enjoy this book as well. All share a non-traditional narrative style through use of secondary story telling devices, in this case, a diary and online communications, and all offer a near future dystopia. (only at the very end of the Egan book, where children who use iPhone like devices are called "pointers") On another note, I just looked at facebooks new Timeline feature, and darned if that isn't one more thing that the prescient Shtyengart saw coming a mile away. Highly recommended.

A Visit from the Goon Squad
A Visit from the Goon Squad
by Jennifer Egan
Price: $10.18
554 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Egan has a keen eye for what makes people tick, October 8, 2011
In a way this book reminded me of David Mitchells "Cloud Atlas" due to both it's post-modern non-linear structure, and the way the story moves through time. Egan takes it further though, with authorial maneuvers like the much celebrated "Powerpoint" chapter, which is surprisingly moving. That an author can make the content deadening format of Powerpoint poignant, revealing, and achingly sad is a feat in and of itself. I'm an avid reader with broad tastes, and this book was one of the few that truly surprised and confused me, but in a good way. I enjoy having to think about a story, and Egan makes us read between the lines, draw parallels, and see a story from multiple perspectives and narrative structures. With that said, you might think that this is a lit-geek book that's hard to read, (I'm talking to you David Foster Wallace!) or overly intellectual, but that is not the case at all. It's very readable, her prose is achingly poignant, razor sharp, and keenly insightful...she is able to write about the small things that are really the BIG things. I found myself relating intensely to the ineffable sadness that so many of the characters feel regarding the too-quick passage to time. There were times when I'd re-read a sentence just because it was so dead on, so quirky but weirdly universal that I had to savor it a little bit. There are a few books that I've read where I get to the last page and my first thought is, "I need to read that again!" I felt that way with Annie Proulx "Heartstrings, every single one of Raymond Carvers works, Cormac McCarthys "The Road", and David Mitchells "Cloud Atlas". I have a special place on the bookshelf for these books, so I've made a space for "A visit from the Goon Squad"....when I need a really good read that I know will be even better the second time, I'll reach for it again.

Once Upon a River: A Novel
Once Upon a River: A Novel
by Bonnie Jo Campbell
Price: $19.00
178 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Asperger-esque gun toting sex-addict on a river., October 8, 2011
*****THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!*****
This is a story of a girl who lives/survives on a river after running away from home...sounds good right?

The main character, Margo, suffers some pretty serious losses and traumas, including a weirdly casual rape and the death of her father brought on by her own ill considered attempt at revenge. The author wants to set Margo up as a heroine, but she is anything but. She is REALLY slow on the uptake, and has a casual relationship with life and death, right and wrong. She steals, sneaks around, and abuses other peoples charity. She shoots the penis tip off her rapist and then murders another brute who has it in for her, effectively ruining the life of the "nice guy" who took her in. After about 40 pages, you realize that she will either kill or sleep with every man she meets. At one point, I wondered if she had Aspergers or some form of mental impairment, or maybe PTSD...but apparently, the author seems to consider selfish, anti-social (bordering on socio-pathic) traits noble....a girl taking charge of her own destiny on her own terms!

All in all, she is predictable, annoying, and never takes responsibility for her actions. (or even thinks about them very much) Her decisions and not decisions, she just stumbles into various scenarios as she moves along the river...it's a weak narrative structure and in NO WAY resembles Huckleberry Finn (as some reviews claim). All in all, it was a structurally ambiguous story with one-dimensional characters. The only thing I enjoyed about the book was the descriptions of the river itself. Maybe it should have swallowed Margo up and spared us her absurd story.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2013 1:37 PM PST

Modkat Litter Box Red
Modkat Litter Box Red
Offered by Modko
Price: $180.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One pricey poop box, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Modkat Litter Box Red (Misc.)
You might ask yourself what kind of person pays $180 for a litter box. The answer is the same person who pays over $100 for a simple-human garbage can, and that person is ME. Cat boxes are ugly. Plastic garbage cans are ugly. I'm a design snob with a tiny house so litter tracking is a serious problem. The box not only looks good, it works too. As my 3D design teacher always said, "IT HAS TO FUNCTION!" (He was right.) The top flips open easily, so I clean it more often. I don't need those stupid plastic liners because of the nifty re-usable snap-to liner. I still get a LITTLE tracking, but that's just because I have a punk cat who hops onto the top and then SHAKES her paws to get the litter bits off, scattering them about the room. My other, more decorous, cat steps out onto the platform in a civilized fashion, so the anti-track feature works with her. Plus, weirdly enough, I have received many a compliment on this box...and when was the last time someone said to you, "Hey, that's a beautiful litter box!"?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2013 12:58 PM PST

The Magicians: A Novel
The Magicians: A Novel
by Lev Grossman
32 used & new from $2.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Kid fantasy mash-up for adults!, July 26, 2011
This review is from: The Magicians: A Novel (Paperback)
It's like the kids from Harry Potter got the bizzaro superman treatment and added a dash of CS Lewis to their dysfunctional sex, drugs, and back-stabby magical cocktail. In other words, it's how real teenagers and young adults would probably act if they had magical powers. For them, magic is just one more problem in a (multiple) world(s) of hurt. If fantasy was cool and hung out on the lower east side, it would be this book.

Blindness (Movie Tie-In)
Blindness (Movie Tie-In)
by Giovanni Pontiero
312 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It won the Nobel for a reason, read it!, November 13, 2010
This book won the Nobel for good reason. The style is a bit challenging at first, but I quickly adjusted and fell under the authors spell. It's beautifully written, but also graphic and deeply disturbing. The story presents a wide range of responses to the epidemic, from selflessness to complete and utter cruelty, depicting a full picture of humanity. The epidemic of blindness serves as plight, metaphor, and measuring device for cruelty, survival, and kindness all at once.

Nongshim Hoo Roo Rook Family Pack, 3.24-Ounce Bags (Pack of 40)
Nongshim Hoo Roo Rook Family Pack, 3.24-Ounce Bags (Pack of 40)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your college kids ramen, November 8, 2010
Sometimes, you just don't want to deal with traffic, and waiting, and tipping, and hasty ahjumas that rush you out of your table. Sometimes you just want a bowl of hot noodles right here at home and you don't want to mess around with lengthy prep. I make the noodles first and rinse them. I make the sop mix and poach an egg in it (YUM!), then add some tofu, and drop in some bok choy. Finally, neatly pile the noodles in a big bowl and pour the liquid over...top with an abundant pile of thin sliced green onion. Done! The whole operation takes about 10 minutes tops. If you skip all the add-ins, you are eating withing 3 minutes of thinking, "hmmmm, noodles!". No MSG, lo-salt, and the noodles are NOT fried.

Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro
Price: $9.01
301 used & new from $3.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Review without spoilers, July 20, 2010
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (Paperback)
Listen. The experience of reading this book requires that you know nothing of it. It is an unfolding revelation and to review it is to spoil it. Stop reading these reviews before you ruin it for yourself, and just get the book and read it. I'm glad it was recommended to me by a friend, so I didn't bother with reviews...if I had, a lovely reading experience would have been lost!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2010 12:51 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3