Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for greta > Reviews

Browse

greta's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

greta "femme crone" RSS Feed (phila., pa. United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Tibetan Meditation Om Mani Padme Hum Peace Singing Bowl With Mallet
Tibetan Meditation Om Mani Padme Hum Peace Singing Bowl With Mallet
Offered by DharmaObjects
Price: $21.98
6 used & new from $14.80

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent size for younger hands, great skill building for kids, October 24, 2015
I ordered this bowl for community meeting for my class of 4-6 graders. They loved it! The size is perfect for their hand. I have an urban class that needed a lot of modelling and practice on their listening skills. Though it took several weeks, what started off as a chaotic, disrespectful mess transformed into 24 city children with whole body listening listening attentively to hear the bowl sing. We all have learned skills of patience and consideration for others as we learned how to both play and listen to the singing. Be aware...there are tips to hearing this sing. According to our investigations ( at first it didn't sing at all!) this is what works...
1) hold the bowl in the palm of the hand flat, not tilted
2) hit the gold rim from the side (can be hit fairly hard)
3) fingers should be splayed out
4) circle the wand around the top outside rim
5) the top on the wand should be angled towards the center the whole time as you circle it ( great opportunity to showcase an acute angle)
6) the bowl get very very quiet for a awhile and then start to sing again.. so don't stop it too early if it stops signing

American Experience: The Abolitionists
American Experience: The Abolitionists
DVD ~ .
Price: $16.98
24 used & new from $9.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but needs a more balanced view, August 4, 2015
This is excellent in many ways. I am a teacher and used this in my classroom. It is excellent for an example of compare and contrast non-fiction writing as it compares and contrasts several abolitionists. The human pathos is quite clear and horrors of slavery are apparent. It gives an excellent sense of conflict within the abolitionist community. This video is great at showing some white Abolitionists who stepped up. Excellent for showing both male and female perspectives on Abolition. Very excellent for showing multiple points of views! Excellent for showing the precursors to the Civil War (this was great for cause and effect non-fiction structural pattern). Frederick Douglass is absolutely compelling in this! The Frederick Douglass relationships with both William Llyyod Garrison and John Brown are portrayed very well.
Ironically enough the documentary does clearly state the truth most Abolitionists were black...however the documentary shows the stories of only one black Aboitionist..while 4 white people are covered!!!! This is a glaring mistake! Where is Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, the free blacks that provided critical funding for William Llyod Garrison???? We used this in my class and worked on critical thinking. I still recommend this dvd...but it is essential to balance out this documentary with one that has a more truthful balance with more black Abolitionists.... I highly recommend PBS Slavery and the Making of America ( 4 parts) ..this will balance out the error in this dvd. If you teach and work with high school students a comparison and contrast between these two videos would be excellent for critical thinking skills (there are some things that are better in the The American Experience: the Abolitionists and some things that are better in Slavery and the Making of America. I hope people watch both of these!

Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present
Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a great documentary. I wouldn't mind seeing another documentary piece ..., December 28, 2014
This was very interesting. It balances out contemporary aspects of her preparation for her MOMA show with information from her past. The performance art pieces seem to focus mostly on relationships and with some gender explorations. The passage of time and moments with past artists and lovers give the documentary some refreshing poignant moments admist the more controlling aspects of some of her art pieces.Explorations of the viewer and voyeur of art and what they project or need from the perverbial "blank canvas" were of special interest. Overall, a great documentary. I wouldn't mind seeing another documentary piece where I could see more of her private life....Marina appeared guarded and in great control in this one... I did not agree with some who stated that she was so vulnerable...the people that were most vulnerable were her audience, I think Marina was very much in control.

Protect the Coven
Protect the Coven
Price: $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars series is in steady decline, January 23, 2014
This series gets worse each season. This is the worst one yet. The story lines are immature and there is no actual development of plot or character. Unfortunately, too many Americans do not understand what development of plot or character mean, hence the plethora of outstanding reviews. I found much of the "exploration" of race to be offensive sensationalistic scenes of sadistic abuse of black people (so not entertaining).The acting is pretty terrible, especially noted with the younger cast with the exception of Evan Peters who does the best with what he is given. The dialogue is often painful to watch. Jessica Lange and Angela Basset and Kathy Bates and Feona's daughter are strong enough actors to serve as some sort of glue to hold everything together, but their characters remain written as very two dimensional. I loved Frances Conroy in Six Feet Under, but here her acting is painful to watch. Lance Reddick from The Wire does a great acing job and I wanted more development of his storyline. The plots are snippets of undeveloped situations and characters, there is nothing for me to sink my teeth into. And if I see one more American television show with a Southern jazz man from the south that happens to be white...I'll scream.

EcoColors Haircolor Dark Brown - 5N /(2 oz color 2 oz developer)
EcoColors Haircolor Dark Brown - 5N /(2 oz color 2 oz developer)
Offered by EcoColors
Price: $24.95

2.0 out of 5 stars colored well but some problems, January 12, 2014
I was surprised at how well this colored my hair, including the gray. I was expecting it to have uneven color especially where the grey was. I was very pleased with the color. Yes, it did smell like a strong ammonia, but after a washed it the smell was tolerable and not an issue for me. What was a surprise to me was that my scalp burned a little after using it. Even after several shampoos it still burns and itches. I think I may have been sensitive to the ammonia. I have used Naturatint before which has no ammonia and experienced no burning. Natratint has PPD so I switched to this. I won't use Ecocolors again because of the burning and itching feeling in my scalp. I've been hearing so much bad press about PPD I'm afraid to use Natratint again. I am going to go back to Mendhi ancient sunrise henna (which stank like holy heck for weeks and is an ordeal to use)..but it did no damage at all to my hair and covered most of my gray. I may also end up graying naturally.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2016 11:12 AM PDT

Differentiated Instruction: Making It Work: A Practical Guide to Planning, Managing, and Implementing Differentiated Instruction to Meet the Needs of All Learners (Differentiation Instruction)
by Patti Drapeau
Price: $15.00
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars great, succinct resource!, confidence builder!, April 8, 2013
I loved this book! I am a new teacher who has struggled with the demands of differentiated learning in a tough city environment. I suffered through years of inadequate "coaching" from learning professonals and coaches who had no idea what they were talking about. Just one example: my experience was so terrible that I got labelled a "trouble maker" because I brought up the issue with my coach on how come we had no information what-so-ever pertaining to non-fiction on our guided reading forms. I bring this up, not to complain, but to say (and I know there are many teachers out of there who are experiencing the same thing) that YES, there is a scary amount of ineptitude in the profession. This book really helped me to fill some gaps that I sorely needed addressed. Yes, I am aware of many books that help with instruction..but so many of them completely overwhelm me with their content...especially for a beginning teacher. The information is this book was succinct, readable, and very informative. It also was multi-layered...I feel confident that I can start using ideas for next year and that I will not feel anymore like a continent adrift or a compass spinning out of control in regards to differentiating instruction. I also feel that I can use this book for years to come as I build upon my differentiation skills.

Welcome to Briarcliff
Welcome to Briarcliff
Price: $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting with some flaws/inconsistent quality, February 5, 2013
This show is interesting and I do enjoy it. The atmosphere, creepiness, and great acting from most of the actors keep me tuning in. Ths show however has some annoying flaws that reduce what could easily be a better quality show. Chief of these is its tendency to have too many storylines. Many story lines that are interesting that I want to see more development in are curtailed to 2 dimensional snippets of an idea...more three dimensionality in the narratives are sacrificed for multiple ideas that seem more like outlines of a story rather than a developed idea.* This is very annoying* The show clearly could benefit from the artistic concept of *editing* and *less is more philosophy*. Also some of the outrageouness of some storylines are overdone and seem downright cartoonish...which is a frustrating contrast to the gothic atmospheric aspect of the setting. The sadistic content is overly used and becomes very predictable. I feel a sense of inconsistency as the positive aspects of the show can be undermined but the negative. Finally, for those of you familiar with the concept of "gestalt" (the sense of an ordered whole).....overall there is too often a sense of a bad gestalt...too many disparate parts. Season one had a much better gestalt and sense of an integrated whole. Even though that season had many mini storylines it was integrated into a cohesive story and I felt that season one had a better quality of development with the storylines and characters. I'm a little worried about what Season 3 may bring. I'm afraid the series my deterirate into a smorgasboard type narratives where it's like you eat at a smorgasboard and taste so many different kinds of food that you miss the depth and flavour and sophistication of a well balanced meal that works together.

The Octopus's Garden: The Secret World Under the Sea
The Octopus's Garden: The Secret World Under the Sea
by Mark Norman
16 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars smash hit, March 26, 2010
I got this book at one of our school bookfairs. It has been one of my most loved books. Everyone from 1-6th grade students has loved this book with the matching footage. It has been one of the most engaging books/films that I have ever read.

The Biography of Vanilla (How Did That Get Here?)
The Biography of Vanilla (How Did That Get Here?)
by Julie Karner
Price: $8.95
32 used & new from $3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, November 29, 2007
This book is excellent. It has beautiful visuals that are well organized. It covers history, lands, colonies, slavery, growing, the vanilla bean, etc. One gains a great sense of vanilla history and its impact on different cultures. Reading level is at least junior high (lower if you have an advanced student). Students may need a guidarama or graphic organizer help to help them comprehend the text which is jammed with interesting and salient ideas. I had a troubled student work on this and he made a map of vanilla lands, a vanilla timeline, and vanilla ice cream from organic beans. He loved this book so much that he later requested a project on the Biography of Bananas (which ....alas, is it turned out was not such a great book). Despite my burn from Biography of Bananas, I liked this book so much , I will definately check out others in the series.

Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People
Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People
DVD ~ Akira Kubo
Offered by Achilles' Reel
Price: $59.99
12 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent classic horror, April 23, 2007
I remember this movie from watching Creature Double Feature movies on my local tv station. I had a video copy and the dvd is much better.

This movie is an excellent choice for sci-fi classic horror fans. Its best qualities are: atmospheric creepiness, editing that supports tension and creepiness, and visually arresting color schema that focuses on neutral colors offset by primary colors. I also enjoyed the fashion. The imagery is haunting and creepy. If you like such imagery as passengers shipwrecked on a deserted island, rotting boat sails, and misty fog curling over questionable sea and landscape I recommend this film for you. There are also psychological connections to nuclear radiation, escapism and drug culture, and man's inhumanity to man and city life.

This movie may seem slow to viewers not accustomed to or attracted to the acting and story pacing of older monster films. The creepiness and tension build at a slow pace and viewers familar with the instant gratification, fast pacing, and more realistic acting of modern horror films may be disappointed by the film.

My memory of this movie from childhood is that it was black and white and I am wondering if the one I saw from childhood was a different version? I am into some of the arty aspects of filmaking and I was entranced by the editing and imagery of this film. I really enjoyed it!

Page: 1 | 2