Profile for N. Krumpe > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 545

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. Krumpe RSS Feed (Ohio)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Solid Copper Moscow Mule Siggió Mug - Set of 4 Mugs - 16 Oz Capacity - 100% Pure Copper Barware - Novelty Copper Drinkware Cups for Mules, Beer, Camping, Water - Authentic Moscow Mule Mugs with No Inner Lining or Lacquer Finish and Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by Walsh Fellowes
Price: $109.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, pure copper, with a retro look and feel, February 24, 2015
So, I've never had a Moscow Mule, but the idea of copper barware is very appealing to me. This is a great mug for any cold beverage. The mug is indeed pure copper, and looks nice inside and out. I like the size and shape of the mug...it feels nice to hold, especially with an ice-cold drink inside.

Note that copper is known for its rather high thermal conductivity. This means that if you put a hot beverage inside, you will almost immediately feel that heat on the outside. The point is, don't put hot beverages in these mugs.

The handle appears to be soldered on, with some of the soldering material showing around the connection points. The bottom of the mug is nearly, but not perfectly, flat. In fact, it wobbles ever so slightly when it sits on a flat surface. Neither of these issues is problematic...they simply add character to an already nice little mug. It has sort of a retro feel.

If you're looking to add a little character to your barware, this could be a great way to go!

Reviewer note: I received one of these mugs free for the purpose of testing and reviewing.

Miele Dynamic U1 Twist Upright Vacuum, Sprint Blue
Miele Dynamic U1 Twist Upright Vacuum, Sprint Blue
Price: $449.00
10 used & new from $449.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, and very powerful!, February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the nicest vacuum I have ever had. Very solid, and easy to set up and use. I have tested several vacuum cleaners, and this has been the best I have used.

Some notes:
* Super simple setup. From unpacking to using took me about 2 minutes. The bag and filters are already installed, and the couple of attachments are already in place. By contrast, many other vacuums come with a dozen or so parts that must be put together before the vacuum can be used.

* Super powerful. This does a great job on all surfaces, and works well on the dog and cat fur around my house. I like that a dial affects suction not only when vacuuming floors, but when using the hose and attachments as well.

* A bit too powerful? We have a couple throw rugs in the kitchen. This is way too powerful for those, because it tends to want to pull the rug off the floor. In order to vacuum these smaller rugs, my wife needs to stand on one end of the rug while I vacuum. Vacuuming should not be a two-person job. For other rugs and surfaces, though, the extra power of the Miele is much appreciated.

* Harder-to-find vacuum bags. Our previous vacuums had bags that were easy to find in town. This high-end vacuum requires high-end bags. I realize I can get replacements on Amazon, but it's nice to know I can find them when I'm out and about.

Minor complaints aside, this is a great vacuum. It seems sturdy enough that I expect it will give us years of use.

Miracle-Gro AeroGarden 3SL with Gourmet Herb 3-Pod Seed Kit, Black
Miracle-Gro AeroGarden 3SL with Gourmet Herb 3-Pod Seed Kit, Black
Price: $60.52
5 used & new from $59.97

3.0 out of 5 stars The light timer does not work correctly, February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall, I like the idea here...growing herbs at home so that there is an always-ready supply. And, I like that this offering from AeroGarden is easy to set up.

However, I am disappointed in the flawed light timer. The way it is supposed to work is that whatever time you plug it in, it will then stay on for 16 hours and shut off for 8 hours. So, you can expect it to turn on at the same time every day. In fact, AeroGarden even suggests that you take advantage of this timer: decide what time of day you want it lit, and plug it in at that time. Now, I don't mind it being off by a little each day. However, after just 3 days, the timer is off...by roughly 10 hours. The first day, I plugged it in around 4pm. Now, 3 days later, I just watched it turn on at 6am.

If the 16-on 8-off cycle is supposed to be good for your plants, then you would want that aspect of this garden to work reliably. Sadly, it is way off.

A couple other notes: This does make sounds...a gentle hum and some bubbling water, much like one would expect from a fish aquarium. I kind of enjoy the sound. Also, some have complained about a clogged filter. I noticed when I unpacked mine that the inside and outside of the filter were lined with a thin clear plastic film...a film I assume I should peel off. I have, so far, not run into any problems with the filter...only the light.

Aluminum-Leather Hybrid Wallet Case, Truffol Autograph iPhone 6 (4.7") Bumper Case with 2 Credit Card Slots (Silver)
Offered by Truffol
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, solid, with a very slim profile, February 20, 2015
There is a lot to like about this wallet case. In short, it is about as slim as a case like this could be, and yet it is very solid and very functional. It is perfect if you want to use it to carry around a couple (not a few) credit cards and a little cash.

Here are some details to consider:

* Truffol clearly pays attention to details, from handsome packaging, to a simple instruction card. I've tried many cases, and this one is the clear winner in terms of presentation. The packaging would be perfect if you were giving this case as a gift.

* The aluminum bumper is great. It is amazingly snug, and could easily be mistaken as a part of the phone. The corner latch is easy to lock, and then stays locked.

* The bumper gives barely enough clearance so that if you lay your phone glass-side-down on a table, the glass won't contact the table. What does "barely enough" mean? More than the thickness of a standard staple, but less than the thickness of two standard staples. Note that the case comes with a screen protector. I am not a fan of screen protectors, but if you use it, then it will pretty much fill that gap.

* The leather back is, as described, adhesive. It sticks well to the back of the phone, and is precisely cut to fit squarely and still have the lens and LED flash exposed through the hole.

* The two slots for credit cards are just right for one card each. They fit securely (the won't slide out automatically). However, it does then take a bit of effort to remove a card. You kind of have to wedge a finger under a card so that you can pinch it and pull it out. After a bit of practice, this motion feels natural. My drivers license (Ohio) fits just as well. Note that if you have three cards, you will have a difficult time getting all three in there. I don't recommend it for that purpose.

* Photos show money being stored in the leather slot. Note that this leather slot is open on both the right and left edges of the phone, so it is less a "pocket" for your money, and more a "tunnel". This is OK, actually, but it means that your money will stick out slightly on one or both edges of the phone. It's a good thing it does stick out...if you tuck it all the way in, you will have a hard time getting it out again (I needed to use a credit card to kind of poke it out). But, if you don't mind a slight bit of the money's edge sticking out, then it is very easy to get the money back out. And, it is tight enough that your money won't fall out.

* The overall profile of this case (bumper and leather combined) is slim enough that I am still able to fit it into my Belkin Sport-Fit Plus Armband for iPhone 6 (Blacktop / Overcast).

All in all, the design of this wallet case is great, and the implementation is perfect. If you want to ditch you wallet and just carry around your phone, this could be the right solution.

Reviewer note: I received this case for free for the purpose of testing and reviewing.

Jerry Baird's Gourmet Seasonings Jalapeno Sizzling Salt, No MSG, 4.8 Ounce
Jerry Baird's Gourmet Seasonings Jalapeno Sizzling Salt, No MSG, 4.8 Ounce
Price: $5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flavor, with a medium level of heat, February 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This turns out to be a nice way to add a little heat to your food.

A few notes, to help you figure out if this is right for you...

* The heat is not overpowering (no need to reach for a glass of water to cool your mouth), but is noticeable. I enjoy it on hard-boiled eggs, but it takes a couple bites before I begin to notice the heat.

* The taste is recognizable as jalapeno (jalapeno is the second ingredient). So, if that is the particular flavor you are after, you might like this.

* This is a seasoned salt. If you are looking for the taste and heat of jalapeno, but don't want the sodium, you would want to look somewhere else.

I keep this handy in the kitchen now. It is a nice way to add bit more character to certain meals. I like it a lot!

Avery Two-Side Printable Clean Edge Rounded Corner Business Cards for Inkjet Printers, White, Pack of 160 (88220)
Price: $11.03
21 used & new from $10.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Rounded corners make it trickier to get a "clean edge", February 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Avery has several varieties of "Clean Edge" business cards. Recently I tried and was very impressed with Avery Two-Side Printable Clean Edge Business Cards for Inkjet Printers, Matte, Ivory, Pack of 200 (08876). Printing looked great, and the "clean edges" were remarkably clean.

However, those had square corners, and these have rounded corners. As a consequence, separating the cards after printing is trickier. On a sheet of 8 cards, I had a couple that had stray bits of paper still attached (particularly near the corners), and one card where a bit of the card itself had a piece that was torn off.

For the most part, the rounded cards look OK. But these minor flaws might be noticeable to some people (they are to me).

One other note: Avery recommends only putting one sheet at a time into the printer. So, if your plan is to print a lot of cards in one sitting, you might be disappointed that you need to reload the printer after each sheet is printed.

Barilla Whole Grain Pasta
Barilla Whole Grain Pasta
Price: $16.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Good taste and texture. A very good alternative to traditional pasta., February 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was prepared to be disappointed in the texture. When I buy whole grain pasta, I figure that it is a tradeoff: Sacrifice some of the taste and texture of "normal" pasta, in order to have a healthier pasta. But, honestly, my wife and son and I were very satisfied with this pasta. The texture and the taste were great.

I could detect a slight bit of chewiness with this whole grain pasta...something I would not expect in traditional pasta. But it was slight...not enough for me to care.

If you are on the fence about trying a whole grain alternative to your favorite pasta, worried that the sacrifice will be too great, I think you should try this for yourself. It's really quite good!

Price: $9.99
26 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars No perforations! (And, the print quality is very good.), February 1, 2015
No perforations!

My biggest complaint about print-your-own business cards is the perforated edges. Those slightly bumpy edges cheapen the overall feel of homemade business cards...something you want to avoid when trying to make a good impression. I have tried several different Avery-branded business cards. These "Clean Edge" cards live up to their name.

There are 10 cards on each sheet, which you separate from each other by folding them back and forth along their edges. They are ingeniously designed to stay together for printing, but to separate easily after that.

Of course, I should also mention the appearance of the printing on the cards. That is good as well. Avery recommends setting your printer to "card stock" and "high quality" when printing. My Canon printer does not have the card stock option, but it does have the high quality option. That was all I had to do to get crisp, highly readable text and graphics. And, printing on the back is just as good as printing on the front.

These are the best print-at-home business cards I have tried, and I highly recommend them!

Avery Glossy Photo Quality Business Cards for InkJet Printers
Avery Glossy Photo Quality Business Cards for InkJet Printers
Price: $14.16
33 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, crisp printing. Edges have a slightly perforated feel., January 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Glossy photo quality on the front, and basic plain-paper feel on the back, these print-your-own business cards are good enough to hand out at a job interview or career fair.

Designing business cards is straightforward, as Avery offers templates for Microsoft Word, Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator (just go to Avery's site and enter 8373 as the template code).

I found that printing, even with small text, is crisp and professional looking. Note that some printers and software will let you indicate that you are using glossy photo paper, which can improve results.

The only negative (and it's minor): Once the cards are printed, you separate them from the sheet, by bending back and forth along a "micro-perforation." The result is an edge where you can feel that perforation...it's subtle, but it's there. It gives just a hint of "made at home" that you might want to avoid depending on how you are using these cards. On a single card, you cannot really see the perforation...only feel it. If you hold a stack of several cards, then you will see it. I can't fault Avery for this...it is the nature of printing 8 business cards on one sheet of paper.

I feel quite confident handing out business cards printed this way. I think it's probably the next best thing to having cards professionally printed.

YOPO 2014 Newest Fashion Style Universal Wireless Extendable Self-portrait Bluetooth Monopod Handheld Selfie Stick Monopod Self Timer Pole for iPhone Samsung and other IOS and Android Smartphone (Black)
Offered by YouthPower
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera mount. Wish it came with instructions., January 28, 2015
Adding an extra three feet between me and my iPhone 6 means that I can take pictures that were not possible before: selfies with large groups of people, "high above the crowd" shots, looking-over-a-wall shots, and more.

The quality of this camera mount was quite good, especially considering the low price tag.

A few details:

No instruction manual?
I could not find any instructions about how to get this working. I made some educated guesses, and things seem to be working well now, but it would have been nice to have a little guidance.

Bluetooth connection works well. Bluetooth is important here: there is a trigger on the handle of the stick. Pressing it triggers the volume control on the iPhone which, in turn triggers the camera to take a picture. Or, if you are shooting video, press the trigger once to begin. Press it again to end the video.

The swivel head at the end is sufficiently strong to keep my iPhone 6 from moving around. However, I suspect that with a little wear and tear, the swivel is going to weaken. I wish there were a way to tighten that swivel. I have not had any problems yet, but I am anticipating them down the road.

All in all, this is easy to recommend to any iPhotographers out there who want to expand their collection of photography tricks.

Reviewer note: I received this selfie stick for free for the purpose of testing and reviewing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20