Profile for N. Krumpe > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 422

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. Krumpe RSS Feed (Ohio)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for iPhone 6 (4.7 Display) Clear
URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for iPhone 6 (4.7 Display) Clear
Price: $34.95
13 used & new from $26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, streamlined, bt a bit less grippy than some cases, October 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the second case I've had a chance to use on the iPhone 6. I had been using Speck Products CandyShell Grip Case for iPhone 6 - Moss Green/Black, which I loved. I had a chance to test and review this case as well, so I gave it a shot, even though I was very happy with the Speck case.

Some notes:

+ This Urban Armor Gear fits beautifully, and snugly. It goes on pretty easily, and there is no way it will come off without putting in some extra effort. If you do want to remove it (say, to slide it into an armband), it seems to be easier to begin at the top of the phone, rather than the bottom. I found that the Speck case was too hard to remove compared to this case.

+ The case is indeed lightweight. The photos on the product page make the case look bulky, but it really has a streamlined feel to it. It slides easily in and out of my pocket.

+ The case seems to offer solid protection. There are internal mini-bumpers that provide extra cushioning between the case and the phone, along with external bumpers on the corners.

My only minor complaint. The Speck case had rubber grips along the side and back of the phone. The Urban Armor Gear only has narrow rubber along the left and right edges, and nothing on the back. As a result, the Urban Armor Gear case feels a bit more slippery in my hands. Depending on how you grip your phone, this may or may not make a difference. It's not a big deal, but is the only downside I noticed to the Urban Armor Gear. I'm a bit clumsy and will have to be a little more careful with this case.

This is a great case!

Classic Brands U-Shape Memory Foam Travel Pillow, Neck Pillow
Classic Brands U-Shape Memory Foam Travel Pillow, Neck Pillow
Offered by Mattress Firm Inc.
Price: $9.49
3 used & new from $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, with a machine-washable cover, October 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Normally, the way I sleep on a plane, I end up with an aching neck....that, or I just can't find a comfortable position for my head.

I must say that this inexpensive neck pillow is just what I need. The memory foam has a nice feel to it: it conforms nicely to my neck and shoulders.

What I also really like is that the cover itself is machine washable. The tag says "The zippered cover can be removed and washed with cold water in the washing machine....Tumble dry using low heat to minimize shrinkage." I would recommend drip-drying since the cover fits pretty snugly to begin with.

Overall, a great pillow!

Premium Wine Glasses - 15 Ounce Stemless Wine Glasses Set of 4 - Designer Set Will Enhance Red and White Wine Taste - FDA Approved - DishWasher Safe Wine Tumbler for Men, Women - Best Gift For All Occasions - Lifetime Warranty - Free Gift with Every Purchase!
Offered by GRT Sellers
Price: $25.99
2 used & new from $17.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice casual wine glasses, October 15, 2014
I am a fan of stemless glasses. They have, in my opinion, a more casual feel than stemmed glasses. This particular set, with bubbles in the glass that you can see and feel, makes the glasses feel even more casual...which is perfect for me.

I want to point out that there are some differences between the description of these glasses and the glasses themselves. In particular:

1) The description says these are "thin lipped". I disagree. I have wine glasses that are thin lipped. These are not close to that. I also have some Libbey stemless wine glasses. The Vintout glasses and the Libbey glasses are very similar in lip thickness. In fact, the Libbey glasses might even be a bit thinner. This is not a complaint. I like these Vintout glasses. But the description is not quite accurate.

2) These glasses are also described as "elegant". I like the glasses a lot, but would definitely favor the word "casual" instead.

My wife and I both really like the glasses, and would happily get more of them. I just wish the description on the product page would get updated.

*I was given a set of these glasses to test and evaluate.

Crazy Tackz  The Tack with a Round Clear Utility Hook
Crazy Tackz The Tack with a Round Clear Utility Hook
Price: $4.66
4 used & new from $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine as tacks. Mediocre as hooks., October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
On my corkboard, these hooks are nearly worthless. Cork is not strong enough to hold these hooks in place if you hang anything heavier than, say, a lanyard with nametag. As tacks (sorry...tackz), they are fine and functional. As hooks? Not so much.

If you are willing to mount these in something a bit sturdier (wood, drywall, something firmer than cork), you will be able to support a bit more weight.

If you really need something this size that functions as a hook, stop by your local hardware store and get those tiny hooks that screw in rather than just push in. They will be able to hold much heavier object.

Dell Computer E Series E2015HV 20-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Dell Computer E Series E2015HV 20-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Offered by Galactics
Price: $107.39
17 used & new from $102.10

4.0 out of 5 stars This is strictly a VGA-only monitor., October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First and foremost: This is a VGA-only monitor. It does not have a DVI or HDMI port. Only VGA. It comes with a VGA cable as well.

As of the writing of this review, the description of this product is lacking in specs. I was anxious to test out and review this monitor, and was quickly disappointed in the lack of ports. Because it is VGA-only, this does not work with my Dell desktop, which is now roughly 5 years old. That older computer has a video card with 2 DVI ports. Before ordering this monitor, double-check your computer's video port situation. Make sure it can handle VGA. My in-laws have a much older PC. Although it has a VGA port, their much older video card is not prepared for the widescreen format of this monitor.

This monitor DOES work with my 1-year-old ASUS laptop. Many PC laptops, even the newer ones, have VGA ports (possibly because they need to maintain compatibility LCD projectors). So, this is a good monitor choice for a second monitor for your laptop. As such, it worked well for me both as a clone of my laptop's screen, and as an "extended desktop". The display is plenty bright, though lacking a bit in contrast. Icons and text are crisp and highly readable.

Note, too, that the monitor is not adjustable...it cannot be raised or lowered, and it cannot be tilted.

With such a low price, it is hard to complain about the minor shortcomings. If you know you need a VGA-only monitor, this is a fine choice. Nothing spectacular, but certainly above average for the price.

Barron's ACT (Barron's Act (Book Only))
Barron's ACT (Barron's Act (Book Only))
by Brian Stewart
Price: $13.76
35 used & new from $12.18

3.0 out of 5 stars An acceptable practice guide, but not without its flaws, October 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have mixed feelings about this kind of book, but overall this represents a sizable collection of content review, general test-taking advice, and plenty of practice problems (including 4 practice exams).

Some observations:

1. There is some good advice in here about general strategies for taking this kind of exam...advice that would apply to nearly any exam. There are suggestions on how to read questions carefully to find the important information (they refer to it as "coasting", as in the ups and downs of a roller "coaster"), advice on writing down information rather than trying to do everything in your head, and so on. All in all, this kind of advice has the potential to help students approach exams a bit more calmly.

2. Content review is, in my opinion, a bit too much information, too concisely presented. There are places where the focus seems to be on memorization (urging students to remember the 30-60-90 triangle relationship like the back of their hand), rather than on understanding (why won't anyone point out to people that 30-60-90 triangles are just "half of an equilateral triangle"? It can quickly turn memorization into understanding). My advice...if you find yourself cramming facts in your brain as a way to memorize them, then you should probably talk to a parent or teacher who might be able to better help you understand the content, rather than just memorize it.

3. I have some complaints about the math section. 3 problems I observed in just a few minutes of reading: First, in a discussion of circles, they drew ellipses that were too stretched to be considered circles. Second, to help students memorize the definition of the mathematical concept of "mean", the authors suggest thinking about someone always being "mean" to you on the playground. This seems a rather childish approach to learning content. Third, there is a practice problem involving a Lotto-type game where their math is incorrect (or is based on a Lotto variation I had never seen). Their solution to the problem indicates that the order in which numbers are drawn in the Lotto will affect whether you win or lose. That is not how the Lotto typically works, and the problem does not state any assumptions about order.

The strength of this book lies in the fact that it will give students plenty of practice. If a student has trouble with a question or section, I highly suggest consulting a teacher or parent for help.

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable 5-Piece Everday Kitchen Basic Dishtowel Set, Includes 4 Dishtowels and 1 Dishcloth, Oversized, Dark Brown
Price: $21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality material, nicely coordinated set, October 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have a large collection of mismatched towels and wash cloths. This is the first time we have ever gotten a coordinated set, and I am quite pleased. The browns make it a nice set for the upcoming fall season.

As for the quality, these seem well made and durable: nicely stitched together with no stray ends. The different patterns on the towels work well for my family, where we try to make a distinction between hand towels and dish towels.

It's a great set, and I would certainly consider other sets from DII.

Amazon Gift Card Upload Your Photo - Gift for You
Amazon Gift Card Upload Your Photo - Gift for You
Price: $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This gift card is why someone invented the phrase OMG!, October 7, 2014
This was absolutely amazing. They said it was a $100 gift card and, guess what...it was a $100 gift card! And, I was able to upload a very handsome photo of myself. No doubt my nephew was impressed!

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV
Price: $99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine replacement for Roku and Apple TV, October 7, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
There are probably enough reviews of Amazon Fire TV to help you make your decision. But let me add to the chatter...

This is a fine offering from Amazon. I have disconnected my Apple TV and Roku 2 devices and now only use this. I liked Apple TV for its interface. I liked Roku because it streamed Amazon Prime. But Amazon Fire TV bridges the gap between these devices. It has a fine interface, is extremely peppy, and of course easily accesses Amazon Prime offerings.

As for the voice control: I was afraid it was just a gimmick, but I find myself using it all the time. I just wish that I could use voice search to look for shows and movies on Netflix and Hulu. For now, it still only searches Amazon's own content. If they can fix this shortcoming, then this would be a perfect device for me. This is my one and only reason for giving a 4- rather than a 5-star review

Well done Amazon!

Life n Soul MT103 Bluetooth Earphones with Adapter, Black
Life n Soul MT103 Bluetooth Earphones with Adapter, Black
Price: $67.87
8 used & new from $61.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice pair of products, but not without some design issues., October 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is really two products in one: a set of earbuds, and a Bluetooth adapter. These can be used together, or separately. Overall, I'm really happy with the pair, but there are some minor frustrations that detract from my rating.

On the plus side...

As far as the Bluetooth adapter is concerned: Note that you can use this without using the earbuds. Here's an idea that you might find really useful...you COULD use this adapter as a way to listen to music on your car stereo without directly connecting your device to the stereo. If you have a cable that you normally use to connect between your mobile device and your car stereo, you can do this instead: connect one end of the cable to the car stereo. Connect the other end...to the Bluetooth adapter. Now, you are all set to play music from a mobile device, even if that device is in the hands of someone sitting in the back seat of the car.

The Bluetooth connection is solid. Listening for the past 40 minutes, I have not had one missed note. I just walked 20 feet from my iPad and did not lose the signal.

The earphones can be used with or without the Bluetooth adapter. Plug them directly into your mobile device and enjoy! Note that the cable on the earbuds is a bit short. So, if you DO plug this into a mobile device, you will need to keep that device in your shirt pocket or maybe strapped to your arm.

I like the sound quality a lot. I am not an audiophile, and am fairly easy to please. I will refrain from commenting on the nuances of the sound because, quite frankly, I don't notice nuances. All I know is this: as I type this review, I'm listening to the accoustic guitar and vocals of the Milk Carton Kids on Spotify, and really like what I'm hearing.

There are filters that come with the earphones that allow you to fine tune the sound quality. If you are a fan of nuances, these filters are for you. You can swap out one set for another, and get...what...better bass? I'm not sure. Again, it doesn't take much for me to be happy with the sound. If you are particularly picky, you might like the filters. Or, if you are even pickier than that, then you are probably not even considering sub-100-dollar earbuds.

Now, here are some frustrations...

- Figuring out which earbud belongs in which ear is a real pain. At first, I gave up. Then, I finally found some raised letters "L" and "R" on the buds. But these letters are VERY small. In my mid-40s, it takes some real effort to figure out which bud is which. A simple solution for me would be to mark one of the buds with some tape or a marker so that I can figure out the right from the left.

- The buttons on the Bluetooth adapter are not labeled. There is no way of knowing which of the two volume buttons increases the volume, and which decreases it. The only thing you can do is to press one and figure it out for yourself. Similarly, there are buttons for the previous song and the next song. There is no obvious way to figure out which of those buttons is which.

- There is a clip on the adapter so that you can clip to your shirt. However, the volume buttons on the adapter are placed such that you are almost guaranteed to accidentally change the volume when you try to use the clip. Squeezing the clip will almost certainly put your thumb or index finger on a volume button. Then, as soon as you squeeze, you'e changed the volume.

These are silly glitches that probably could have been avoided. Label your buttons. Don't put them opposite the clip. Simple changes to the design could have made this a much better product. Still, I'm really happy with the sound quality and the usefulness of the adapter, and can recommend them if you are willing to put up with the glitches.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20