Profile for N. Krumpe > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 564

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. Krumpe RSS Feed (Ohio)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Creative Aurvana In-Ear2 Plus Ultra-comfortable Noise-isolating In-ear Earphones with In-line Remote and Microphone
Price: $88.42
4 used & new from $88.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for some songs, bad for others, July 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can only judge sound quality based on the kinds of music I listen to. Here's a quick rundown: these are good for some music, but ruin other songs that I normally like:

* Decemberists, "Dear Avery": nicely captures the guitar and the subtle qualities of Colin Meloy's voice, but throw in the background vocals and the higher notes of the pedal steel guitar, and the music starts to get a little too tinny for my tastes.

* Milk Carton Kids, "Michigan", "New York", "The Ash & Clay": Here, the Aurvana earphones beautifully capture the acoustic guitar and harmonies of Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan. These are the right earphones for their music.

* Norah Jones, "Don't Know Why": This time, just 3 or 4 notes in, and the song is ruined for me. Everything is just too harsh...I find myself wincing at certain piano notes, and parts of the vocals. Any lows are lost to the tinny highs.

Your mileage may vary, depending on the music you listen to. There are some nice features to note:
* Very comfortable and lightweight. They feel "barely there" over long periods of listening.
* Sliding volume control: I wish more earphones had this. I get kind of tired of the standard push-button volume controls, never knowing when I've reached the maximum volume. Here, it's easy to slide to just the volume I want.
* Exactly one button: The single button works well for pausing and resuming, and for accessing my phone's functionality (Galaxy S6). Pressing and holding is like saying "OK Google" to my phone. Press and hold and say "What's the weather?" and I'll get an answer. Press and hold and give a phone number, and it will call that number for me.

One other note:
* The cord is entirely too long for my tastes...roughly 4 feet long. This means it is likely to get caught or tangled if I'm moving around with these in my ear. And, if I'm just lying on the couch listening to music...well, then there is no need for all that extra slack.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about these earphones. They are much better than many cheap pairs of headphones, and they have some nice features, but I'm disappointed in the quality of the sound with some of my favorite music.

Galaxy S6 Case Wallet, Mulbess [Layered Dandy][Card Slot Vintage Series] Samsung Galaxy S6 Wallet Case [Black] [Flip][Slim Fit][Wallet]- Premium Soft PU Leather Wallet Cover - Folio Flip Leather Case for Samsung Galaxy SVI SM-920 Devices
Offered by MulBess
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Now you can leave your wallet at home and just take your phone., July 27, 2015
This is a well designed dual-purpose case for my S6: it protects the entire phone, and works well as a wallet.

Some wallet-style phone cases are too snug to fit more than 1 or 2 cards. With this case, I can easily store three cards (driver's license, work ID, and credit card). Technically, I could add a 4th card, but then the case will not close very well. Even with three cards, it really helps that there is a magnetic clasp to keep the case closed.

Some other notes:
* It's a nice looking case. I like the red and black combination, including red stitching along the edges. The PU leather looks rather classy (note: I am not particularly classy myself)

* The fit is good. Though it holds the S6 securely, it is also easy to remove and insert the phone. This is important if, like me, you prefer to put your phone in a different case for workouts and running.

* Wireless charging still works well. I have a QI-type charger for my phone. The case does not interfere wtih this kind of charger. Just set the phone, case and all, on my charger overnight, and it's charged by morning.

All in all, this is probably the best wallet design I've come across so far for an S6 case.

Reviewer's note: I received this case at a greatly discounted price for the purpose of testing and providing an unbiased review.

Wireless Earphones, Mengo Bumps Sport Sweat-Resistant Wireless Neckband Earphones with Microphone (Bluetooth 4.1 & NFC) Black & Red - Retail Packaging
Offered by Mengo Products
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice snug fit...won't flop around during a workout or a run, July 27, 2015
I was quite surprised when I removed these earphones from the package. The cord connecting them seemed stiff, and I thought that perhaps it needed to be loosened up before using it.

And then I figure it out...the cord is supposed to be stiff. The bends in the cord are specifically designed to wrap over my ears and around the back of my head. That design, along with the short length of the cord, means that it doesn't flop around while I'm running or working out. It nicely stays put. It turns out to be a great feature...one that other earphone manufacturers ought to consider adopting. (Note that my head is larger than average, and I don't have any hair...but there seems to be enough length to the cord that it should be comfortable for any size of head.)

As for the sound, it's pretty decent. I primarily use it for podcasts, and the sound is acceptably clear. The sound is not really "crisp"...maybe a bit muffled...but it is acceptable. For me, the shape and fit of the earphones are a higher priority than the sound quality since my primary use is for workouts and running.

As for usability, they are very simple to use. Bluetooth pairing went smoothly, and there are the typical dual-purpose buttons for changing the volume and switching tracks.

All in all, if you are looking for earphones that won't flop around during a workout or a run, these are worth considering. They will nicely stay put so you can forget about them!

Reviewer's note: I received these at a significant discount for the purpose of testing and providing an unbiased review.

Trainer TH100/27 Sports Headphones designed with Usain Bolt, BLK
Trainer TH100/27 Sports Headphones designed with Usain Bolt, BLK
Price: $249.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound. But there are some quirks you should know about..., July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a lot of reasons to recommend these headphones, but I also have a few issues that might make you think twice about them. I will try to give a rundown so that you can decide whether the good points outweigh the not-so-good:

On the positive side...

* The sound is amazing. I have tested a lot of bluetooth headsets...some in-ear buds, some on-the-ear like these. These easily beat everything else I have tried in terms of sound quality. I expect compromises in sound quality when it comes to headphones designed for workouts. Here, no compromises seem to have been made. Music and the spoken word sound good. This probably is the main reason for a fairly steep price tag. That extra money is going toward extra sound quality.
* They stay on my head during my runs and workouts. I'm not quite as fast as Usain Bolt (I'm pretty sure he's broken the eight-minute-mile mark), but for my needs, the fit is snug enough that they will never fall off.
* The ear cushions are washable. This is important to me, because they WILL get sweaty during a workout or run.
* They are lightweight, making them less of a distraction while working out.
* They look really nice...the design is subtle and minimalist, rather than showy.

On the down side...

* I find the controls to be confusing. With most headsets I have tried, it was pretty easy to figure out how to use them. With this set, however, I find myself frequently referring to the manual. All controls...7 buttons in all...are located on the right earpiece, and some are NOT intuitive. For example, the power button works as expected for turning the headset on and off (just hold it in for a few seconds). But that same power button, if pressed once, displays the battery power. And, if pressed twice, the power button turns on/off the night-navigation LED light. Similarly, rather than a button for "next track" and another button for "previous track", instead you press a button once to move ahead a track, or twice to move back. I know eventually I will get used to it. I do wonder why all control buttons were put on the right ear, rather than splitting them across the two earpieces.

* The fit is a bit too snug on my ears. I wear glasses, and find these headphones to cause a bit of pain when pressed up against them. For me, the solution is to raise my glasses a bit higher over my ears than I'm used to.

* Despite features meant to reduce the temperature of these headpones, I find that my ears get quite warm and sweaty while wearing them. So, I'm really glad I can wash the ear cushions. They're going to need it.

* Unlike over-the-ear headphones, people near you may be able to hear what music is playing on your headphones. My wife does not have particularly good hearing, but she was able to hear what music was playing as I listened on these headphones.

* The LED NavLight (the safety light you can turn on and off) only flashes a light on the rear of the left. This is nice, but when I run I tend to run against the direction of oncoming traffic. This means that oncoming traffic won't see the light. It would have helped to put lights on the front and back of the earpiece.

* They are overpackaged. There is a LOT of plastic packaging that needs to be removed and discarded when opening these headphones.. I felt rather guilty about all that plastic. Certainly some plastic is useful in making sure the headsets travel well when shipped. But here, it's way too much.

For me, the great sound quality and firm fit greatly during runs and workouts greatly outweigh the negative points. These really are great headphones. But, there is certainly room for improvement.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2015 7:31 AM PDT

52 Chalkboard Labels with White Liquid Chalk Marker for Jars, Reusable Unique Stickers STRONG DURABLE Self-Adhesive - 40 Large 12 Small Ones - Dual Fine Tip Design Chalk Ink Pen, Reversible Between Bullet and Chisel, Marker Nibs are MADE IN JAPAN High Quality for Writing and Drawing - Enjoy the Best Solution to ORGANIZE Kitchen Garage Cupboard Office Supplies in a Stylish Way Now!
Offered by Primeshipper001
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars These work well, and the chalk look is very realistic., July 25, 2015
This set of labels and chalk "marker" are really quite nice...better than expected.

The labels are reusable in two ways. So, 52 labels can last a long time...
* they can easily be peeled off and reapplied as needed
* the chalk "erases" from the label with a slightly dampened cloth, but it won't smudge as long as the labels

The chalk look is nice, and the marker works well. To get the marker to work, you need to shake it for a little while and then test it (a little testing card is applied) until the liquid chalk starts flowing.

One note: because these can be wiped clean with a damp cloth, it means you should not use them in situations where they might get wet. Just be mindful of that. They will be better for dry goods, crafts, and pantry items, but not for things that will get damp.

Reviewer's note: I received this set free for the purpose of testing and providing an unbiased review.

Tanors Ceramic Burr manual Coffee Grinder with Water Resistant Travel Bag and Cleaning Brush, Stainless Steel
Offered by Global Quality Merchants
Price: $18.99
3 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, consistent grind, and good for many brewing methods, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great little grinder...sturdy, good looks, and a nice companion to my AEROPRESS.

It performs well with coarse and fine grinds, and I find it particularly easy to adjust the settings. The adjustment knob "clicks" in small enough increments that if you are not quite happy with the fineness, a click to the right or left will probably get you the grind you want. The ceramic burr does a nice job producing a consistent grind.

Note that this is not a good size grinder for making a pot of coffee...it won't hold enough beans. But for one or two cups, it is perfect. The size of the grinder makes it easy to grip while griding. The two halves stay together nicely while grinding, and then pull apart easily when it's time to dispense the grounds.

Tanors says this is "designed for AEROPRESS", but note that this simply means its diameter allows it to be stored inside an AEROPRESS (see photo), allowing you to save a bit of space when you travel...it fits perfectly. This grinder is also "designed for pourover" and "designed for french press" and "designed for Moka pot" in that it will produce the desired grind for the desired brewing method. (As a side note, I think it's rather silly that the travel bag that comes with the grinder isn't quite big enough to store the grinder/AEROPRESS combination. It's perfect for the grinder, but if you are desiging for the AEROPRESS, why not use a bigger bag?)

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with this grinder.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Galaxy S6 Edge Case Wallet, Mulbess [Layered Dandy][Card Slot Vintage Series] Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Wallet Case [Black] [Flip][Slim Fit][Wallet]- Premium Soft PU Leather Wallet Cover - Folio Flip Leather Case for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge SM-925 Devices
Offered by MulBess
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A wallet that holds all 4 of my cards!, July 22, 2015
I've tested several wallet-type phone cases, and most have disappointed me because they can only hold two cards. This case can easily hold all 4 of the cards I normally carry around: there are only 3 card slots, but the money compartment easily holds a fourth.

So, for that reason alone, this case is worth considering. Add to that the nice appearance (I really like the black leather with red stitching), and the magnetic clasp, and this is a really good case!

Reviewer's note: I received this case for free for the purpose of testing and providing an unbiased review.

Waterproof Speaker, Mengo AquaCube [3W Ultra Clear Sound] Waterproof Portable Bluetooth (4.1) Speaker - Green - Retail Packaging
Offered by Mengo Products
Price: $19.98
2 used & new from $19.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive for its size, and it IS waterproof, July 20, 2015
A speaker this small, and priced so low, should not have such good sound. I'm not talking "best sound you could ever get from any speaker", but for a 2-inch speaker you can throw on a keychain? I'm impressed.

It is plenty good, even at high volumes, indoors and out. The sound is clear and undistorted even at the highest volume setting. Planning a picnic? Toss this in the picnic basket, and you'll be set. Even if it rains...

I tested this under running water, and the music just kept on playing...Lyle Lovett is apparently unaffected by a little moisture.

Reviewer's note: I received this speaker free for the purpose of testing and providing an unbiased review.

Pack of 12 Classic Aluminum Bottle Opener Keychain/Keyring/ Lightweight Kitchenware Collectibles
Offered by soan deals
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never be searching for my bottle opener again, July 20, 2015
Have you ever found yourself searching for a bottle opener? Here's a simple solution: get a 12-pack! Despite their low price and bulk packaging, these are very sturdy bottle openers. I also like that each opener was individually wrapped.

These would be good as stocking stuffers, or for strategically placing around the house or patio for a party.

Don't be put off by the low price. These are good bottle openers!

Reviewer's note: I received a set of these for free for the purpose of testing and reviewing

Aluminum Whistle Key Ring/Hiking/Mountaineering Accessory/Survival Whistle-Waterproof/Rust Proof- Assorted Colors- Pack of 12
Offered by soan deals
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed, sturdy, individually wrapped, July 20, 2015
These are well constructed, sturdy whistles that sound like...well...whistles. Put one on your keychain, and you will have a distress signal in case of an emergency. Given the bulk packaging and the low price, I was concerned that I would be disappointed. But I was quite pleased.

I also like that each whistle was individually wrapped. These would be good door prizes for a kids' birthday party, or for a group heading out on a hike.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20