Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for E. Peck > Reviews

Browse

E. Peck's Profile

Customer Reviews: 138

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Peck "JR Peck" RSS Feed (Orlando, FL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
FTL: Faster Than Light (MAC) [Download]
FTL: Faster Than Light (MAC) [Download]
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting and Fun, May 31, 2014
I really enjoy the game quite a bit. I don't get to play games a lot any more and this one is easy enough to pick up or put away when I do have a chance. The variety of each playthrough keeps it interesting and it is difficult enough that I keep having to work at it to unlock the different ships.

Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines Book 1)
Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines Book 1)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read, March 10, 2014
I am a big fan of military sci-fi. Some of the similarities between this effort from Kloos and some of the better known books in the genre were a little strong at times but it wasn't too bad. And it felt more like an up front acknowledgement of those who had gone before rather than copying. The only other real negative was that at times the use of current military jargon felt out of place. I think that with as many changes as had taken place and with the passage of time many of the terms used in the books would no longer be in use.

That said I enjoyed the story and plan on reading all the books in the series unless something happens. If Kloos can maintain this level of writing it is well worth the time.

Amazon eGift Card - Birthday (Make a Wish)
Amazon eGift Card - Birthday (Make a Wish)
Price: $100.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, January 31, 2014
Convenient, quick and simple. A great way to give a gift when far apart, time is of the essence or you just aren't sure what to buy.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Option if Saving Money is Key, November 4, 2013
People mention getting a slip of paper with a URL - I did not get this in my package. I did search youtube and watched a few different videos. There were some inconsistencies between them and that made it tougher. I was pretty nervous through the whole process.

It took me a couple hours total - and I used the tools provided along with a hair dryer.

The end result has been passable so far. The glass does not sit quite as low as the original. I see some people say if this happens it's because not all the old material was removed. I spent a long time working on that. Maybe I didn't put the new tape in perfectly. Whatever the reason - either because the glass is thicker or because it takes an incredible amount of time and skill to get it all in just perfectly - I think most people should understand that there is a high likelihood things wont be exactly as they were. For the amount of money I saved, I can live with it.

Touch is a little off now on the phone - not horrible but not quite as it was. Using swype to type is a pain now. It has a hard time not registering the initial touch as a tap. The same thing happens when I try to scroll in different apps - and it registers setting my thumb against the glass as a tap.

In sunlight the glass looks a little milky and the screen does not seem as bright as the original. It also isn't quite as good at handling fingerprints.

These are all small things - and will keep me using my phone so I consider them to be not that big a deal. A perfectionist may want to have it done by Samsung where they have recourse for issues like this. I bought the phone unlocked, off contract and I want to get at least 3 years out of it - and this will help me do that. (I think of my phones like pocket computers and budget for them like I do my laptops.)

Verbosity's Vengeance: A Grammarian Adventure Novel
Verbosity's Vengeance: A Grammarian Adventure Novel
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Time, November 4, 2013
Incredible fun. Highly recommended. Really a solid freshman effort from Mr. Noland. I enjoyed every bit moment of reading it.

Valeo Deluxe Speed Rope, Black
Valeo Deluxe Speed Rope, Black
Price: $6.27
40 used & new from $6.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice - works well for me., October 24, 2013
This review is from: Valeo Speed Jump Rope (Sports)
I really didn't have any trouble sizing the rope. I unscrewed the cap on one end, pushed the cord out, clipped it, and then used pliers to get the metal clip off the old end and put it on the new one.

Everything has worked very well since then and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Samsung ATIV Book 9 NP900X3F-K01US 13.3-Inch Full HD Premium Ultrabook (Mineral Ash Black)
9 used & new from $525.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Hobbled by Poor Support, October 24, 2013
I was unsure about using Windows 8. Reading some reviews of what was coming with 8.1 I decided to take a stab at it and the hardware with this machine looked impressive.

The machine is beautiful, light and thin. We travel a lot so these are huge pluses. The screen is beautiful and the keyboard works well. The trackpad also performs well.

Wifi has real issues - the adapter turns off frequently or just disconnects. Googling will give a number of ideas on how to fix this - none have completely worked for me.

Unfortunately the software issues and lack of support from Samsung lead to a rather sad situation. It's not all their fault - WIndows 8 is a mess. That's on microsoft. But when I tried to upgrade to 8.1 it completely failed leaving the machine in an unbootable state. The boot is so fast (nice feature when things work properly) that no keys would interrupt it. (I tried them all). It would start, fail, reboot, fail, start, fail, reboot, fail - endlessly.

I did live chat with Samsung support. That was a complete waste of time and I had to go through the whole song and dance to learn that they couldn't help me and I needed to go to a service center. The service center hung up on me the first time I got through and then didn't pick up again.

I spent a lot of time on-line reading about the problems other Samsung owners were having with 8.1 The preview for manufacturers came out in August. It is the middle of October and Samsung has no drivers that work apparently. I had to finally open the case, pull the hard drive, and then start the machine with the hard drive out. That got it to give me a menu that ultimately led to my being able to restore to factory new settings - wiping out all data on the machine. I had to reinstall all my software, uninstall the crud again, fix settings , etc. But I was just glad to get it to be able to start again. I was nervous for a while that the machine was completely ruined.

I have no idea what to do with regards to 8.1 There is no official statement from Samsung that I can find letting consumers know that the update will in all likelihood render the computer inoperable. The support page for this machine has no information and no downloads for new drivers. Chat support and the service center were both useless. I was left completely on my own.

There is a samsung software updater. There is a microsoft store that updates software. And buried in system setting windows update is hidden. 3 different pieces of software that all update different parts of the system. I have no idea how I'll know when it is safe to try the 8.1 update again or which of those pieces will provide the missing updates necessary for it to work.

If you've owned a Samsung Android phone and waited and waited, wondering when you'll get updated to a newer version of software that is out for everyone else - you get to enjoy that same experience with these laptops. When I spend over a thousand dollars on a machine, I intend to use it for a very long time. Unfortunately it looks like Samsung believes their part in this ends as soon as they have my money from the initial purchase.

I'd like to think the 8.1 update could fix the wireless problems and address some of the many windows 8 shortcomings. But I have no idea how long I'll have to wait to find out. And for that reason, something that should never be an issue on a high end machine like this, I simply can't recommend it to others.

Edit - Some updated information. A bios update made the Windows 8 to 8.1 update possible. But changes to the touchpad options reset after every reboot since I did the update. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver but nothing has worked so far. I'm also starting to see dead pixels. I don't think I will be recommending Samsung laptops to others or buying them myself at any time in the near future.

Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad, Black
Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad, Black
77 used & new from $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars More than good enough, July 25, 2013
We are using this keyboard with our PC that is connected to our TV. I wouldn't want to write a book with it or have to do important work on this keyboard - but for browsing the web, playing movies and so on, it works great. It's a little small and that makes typing difficult but usually we don't type a whole lot beyond facebook updates.

It works perfectly as a remote for our home entertainment pc and it stores nicely in our entertainment center.

The touch pad can be a little tricky at times, but I haven't found it to be a huge issue. It has multi touch and it is easy to accidentally 'zoom' on web pages. This can be a little annoying but it isn't too bad and since ctrl-0 fixes it, it's easy to correct quickly.

Our old setup was a full size, wired keyboard that we had to stand right by the TV to use. This is worlds better.

I don't think I'd enjoy it for heavy typing but strongly recommend it for more casual use.

Garmin City Navigator Europe NT Map Card MicroSD/SD
Garmin City Navigator Europe NT Map Card MicroSD/SD

2.0 out of 5 stars If you depend on this alone, you will have a hard time, July 25, 2013
The maps can't be updated, and brand new it already has many, many errors. We just drove through 4 different countries and had issues in every single one of them. It wanted us to take roads that do not exist, make turns onto one way streets the wrong way, etc. It was a real chore, trying to route around the bad directions and figure out how to get back on the best track.

It's pretty nerve wracking to be in a completely new place and realize your GPS is not going to be a help and may very well end up costing you hours of extra driving.

If one needs to find a silver lining, we saw a lot of sites away from good roads, as we wound around on little back roads.

The worst was traveling from Macedonia into Albania. The GPS was never right, but we didn't realize it until we were locked into a route that added an additional 4 hours onto our travel time, put us on some almost impassable roads and caused us to constantly stop and ask for directions. (We had to ask for directions because our Garmin kept wanting to put us on even worse roads that I knew our car couldn't get over.)

You may think, "Well, Albania isn't that developed." Well the errors in Italy were also a constant distraction that caused us to have to check every step against a regular map before we would leave for another place. We also learned to stop using street addresses and only use coordinates. That helps some, if you are lucky enough to have them available.

So it's a broken product that offers minimal assistance. It should come with a lot of warnings to that effect.

Song of the Lonely Mountain
Song of the Lonely Mountain
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Song, February 21, 2013
Whole family loves it. We saw the film in a local theater and when we got home we were happy to find it available here. I'm glad I live in a time where I don't have to buy all of the soundtrack, just what I really want to listen to again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14