Profile for AKN > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2072

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AKN RSS Feed
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pink Credit Card Knife (Silver Blade) Best Tactical Folding Knives by Muzitao©
Pink Credit Card Knife (Silver Blade) Best Tactical Folding Knives by Muzitao©
Offered by Muzitao
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink feminine concealed weapon, July 28, 2014
This is the neatest little tool I've ever seen. It is exactly the size and shape of a credit card. The two diagonal sides fold back and lock in place, and the knife swiings out and you have a very sharp little knife with a sturdy handle. Unfold the two sides, bring them back around, and the knife part folds back down and locks with a little switch into place and the credit card is back in its safety position.

I keep this in my kitchen drawer and use it to open packages, cut string, or any other chore that calls for a sharp small knife.
I know it is entirely without risk of cutting myself, since the knife blade is locked down and housed in a molded space in the plastic that completely surrounds the blade. It is easy to grip while using it and a very handy size.

This is also something you could safely carry in your glove compartment if you feel you need to carry a knife with you in the car. It's a very sharp well concealed weapon. And the pink is great for us ladies who want to feel feminine while we wield a knife.

Citrus Peelers (3 Pack) Ergonomically Designed Fruit Peeler for Oranges, Lemons, Limes, Mango, Avocado & Grapefruit
Offered by Muzitao
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, July 28, 2014
I love a simple solution to a problem. My problem is that while I love to eat an entire grapefruit every day, I do not like the method of cutting it in half, then using a special sharp spoon to try to dig the sections and juice out of it. It's difficult to get all the sections and juice out that way.

I had resorted to cutting it into sections, skin and all, and then peeling the individual sections. This also was a lot of trouble.

With this I simply run it over the skin and it neatly slices it, putting cuts in it at just the right depth. The blade is not metal, it is a sharp point of plastic. It would be almost impossible to cut yourself with this. You simply run this sharp point across the skin and it scores it, and then you take the pointed end and pry it up. It was easy. And I gave the extra two to my relatives.

This even cut at the perfect depth to cut through the white pith perfectly, which could then easily peel off. It will not cut through the edible part of the fruit, only the skin. Citrus fruit is no longer a challenge to peel with these. Excellent, inexpensive solution to an annoying problem.

Viva Labs Coconut Sugar (6 lbs)
Viva Labs Coconut Sugar (6 lbs)
Offered by Premium Vitamins
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Low Glycemic Sugar with Minerals, July 27, 2014
This is the first time I've used anything but the usual beet sugar in baking. I switched half the sugar in my brownie recipe with this. They were incredible and were gone by the end of the evening in our house.

This has a slightly caramel flavor which I love. It doesn't taste as sweet as the cane and beet sugar I'm used to using, which I appreciate since I've been avoiding sugar for months. I now have a heightened sense of the sweetness in things since I'm no longer overpowering my tastebuds with things that have been overly sweetened.

I like the low glycemic index this has, which means it doesn't spike my blood sugar, stressing my pancreas to cope with it and flooding my bloodstream with a huge burst of insulin. It's partially that insulin flooding from regular sugar that adds inches to my midsection.

This also contains minerals such as iron and magnesium, among others. It is about the same consistency of usual table sugar. I see no reason not to use only this instead of regular sugar next time, since this is so much healthier and actually makes things taste better. The price here is a bargain if you get the six pound bag in particular.

One tablespoon of this is only 16 calories, which means I can use a teaspoon of this in my coffee without worrying about calories. I had recently been drinking my coffee black with no sugar and am so relieved to find something healthful and with a low glycemic index to add to it.

I've been trying out Viva Labs coconut flour also, and made banana bread with it and this sugar in my bread machine. I switched half the flour and all the sugar in the recipe with coconut sugar and flour and it was delicious. After going without any flour products at all for several months now, if I eat anything with flour I immediately don't feel well, and notice a terrible flour taste which is hard to describe to anyone who is used to eating flour products regularly. I didn't have that reaction when using these products. The bread was light and mild and not overly sweet. And it had none of the doughy flour after effect which always felt like a lump in my stomach.

This doesn't taste like coconut. It tastes like a mild slightly butterscotch flavored sugar. It's not as sweet, which I like about it, and it is way healthier than regular table sugar. The advantages of this as a substitute for regular sugar make this a no brainer. Viva Labs sets a new the standard for ultra high quality products.

Viva Labs Organic, Non-GMO, Raw Cacao Powder, 16 oz. Pouch
Viva Labs Organic, Non-GMO, Raw Cacao Powder, 16 oz. Pouch
Offered by Premium Vitamins
Price: $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful big bag of organic cacao powder, July 27, 2014
I want to say first that when I saw the price of this I thought I was seeing things. This is a very big bag of organic, high quality cacao powder for an amazingly low price.

I tried something new when I got this. I put a teaspoon of this, plus a teaspoon of Viva Labs Coconut Sugar into my cup of coffee, and it was amazing. I added about three drops of vanilla.

I have not had any sugar or chocolate in about two months. What sets the taste of this apart from other chocolates is the richness, smoothness, and subtle real chocolate flavor. This is very finely milled. My taste buds have become more sensitive since my no sugar diet and can pick up sweetness in many ordinary foods that I never noticed before. So it was with pleasure that I noticed in this an incredible richness and a natural silky smoothness I've never tasted in any other chocolate before.

If you've never experienced organic super high quality cacao before, you are in for a treat with this if you appreciate natural, unadulterated flavors the way nature intended them to be enjoyed. This doesn't overwhelm you with a burst of intense chocolate. It seemed like I was drinking a fresh cacao bean right from the tree. There is a texture that can only be described as smooth as silk.

If I had done this to my coffee with something like Hershey's cacao powder, I would have ended up with a mouthful of bitter, harsh, grit in my coffee. This simply added a slight hint of delicious cacao along with a hint of the natural texture of the cacao bean, so that I felt I was drinking something pure, sensuous and healthy. The coconut sugar was wonderful and subtle also. Neither of these ingredients overpowered me but instead added something wonderful and exotic, and it was an experience that was new to me to taste sugar and cacao of this quality. It sounds odd to say you can taste quality in sugar and cacao, but I could. I love how that rich smooth flavor lingers on my tongue after I've finished the cup of coffee.

I am now taking my bread machine down from the shelf and will be making chocolate bread with this, the coconut sugar, and adding some coconut flour instead of 1/3 of the bread flour. It will add fiber to the bread, and the coconut flour is gluten free. But really I am doing it for the taste. I also have an amazing recipe for making chocolate fudge cake, complete with fudge sauce, in my slow cooker and this will be used in that also. This tastes real and natural. It's better than Hershey's.

I am grateful to Viva Labs for sending me a sample of this to try.

Lutron P-PKG1W-WH  Caseta Wireless 600-watt/150-watt Multi-Location In-Wall Dimmer with Pico Remote Control Kit, White
Lutron P-PKG1W-WH Caseta Wireless 600-watt/150-watt Multi-Location In-Wall Dimmer with Pico Remote Control Kit, White
Price: $54.75
5 used & new from $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury for your castle, July 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
l have needed this so badly for such a long time. I have a huge dining table and the light switch for the chandelier above it is in an incredibly awkward place. I literally have to climb over a big chair and squeeze into a tight corner of an alcove to get to it. Now, as a lady of leisure when dining, I simply can tap my remote control and bam, the light dims. Tap again and bam the light brightens. I should have known to look for this at the store but it never occurred to me. I had entertained the idea of calling the electrician to move the light switch, but he is lousy at patching up holes in drywall.

Also, this looks great, since it is flush with the wall. This can dim any type of light bulb. They sell a small device that goes with this to attach to a table to hold the remote, and it is something I will be getting since I dread losing it.

I installed this myself in under ten minutes. While I'm pretty handy for a woman, I've found it can be tricky to install light switches, but this was simple since there is no ground wire. I'm not sure why not but at this point I'm very pleased with this and consider it a necessity for my situation. I also want one for the bedroom.

I noted with relief that this is indeed UL approved unlike some of the light switches and other lighting devices coming out of China now.

Safer Brand 14-Ounce Aerosol Ant and Roach Killer 5720
Safer Brand 14-Ounce Aerosol Ant and Roach Killer 5720
Price: $5.98
13 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a safe ant killer for the kitchen, July 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've lived with tiny kitchen ants for a long time now and have not sprayed anything on them. Sometimes I put out taro and it seems that with time, they have learned somehow to avoid it. They used to feed on it and carry it back to their home and then would be gone for a month, then reappear as if resurrected from the grave. They form their trails to neatly skirt around ant traps.

Pesticides in the kitchen are not an option for me, so this was something new, since it is a natural product and safe to use indoors, and gives me hope that it may indeed be possible to eliminate them once and for all.

I immediately upon opening the box of this sprayed them as they were exploring the countertops and they immediately keeled over dead. Now, since this is a contact killer only, which works by penetrating their exoskeletons, I will be continually on the lookout for stragglers and survivors in there, and hopefully they will soon get the hint and decided to go outside where they belong and set up housekeeping. Or perhaps I will eventually pick off every last one of them, and their children as they hatch.

It is wonderful to finally have something in a can I can spray on them and see them die off. I'm tired of them. I have high hopes that my ant problem is solved once and for all with this. If it is I will come back and report success with this.

And I feel bad for the next Palmetto Bug --giant southern roach--that finds its way inside. I'm armed and ready for him now. No more plopping a big bowl over it and struggling to shove the bowl and roach out the door. I wouldn't try to smash one, it would be too gruesome since they are the size of a field mouse.

I've used Safer brand pesticides outdoors, in gardens and it never failed to get rid of the bugs there. I feel sure this will be the answer I've been hoping for in the kitchen.

Women Weightlifting Gloves for Crossfit Cycle Gym Training - Women Fitness Workout Gloves for Weight Lifting Biking Exercise W. Wrist Closure - Enhance Your Grip and Eliminate Blisters & Calluses - 1 Year Replacement Warranty and Bonus
Offered by Crescent Trading
Price: $39.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed sexy weightlifting gloves, July 26, 2014
I always wanted some weightlifting gloves. I never liked to grab the cold iron which, at the gym, seemed like a germ breeding ground, hundreds of sweaty hands squeezing it every day.

I never liked the looks of other weightlifting gloves I saw either, which always looked less than appealing.

Lots of design went into these gloves. On the Phoenix style, there are three kinds of fabric on each glove, gold piping, little gold metal pyramids, a band of gold trim fabric around the edges, and padding on the grabbing parts of the palms and inner fingers. The Eclipse style has two kinds of fabric, black and pink, and pink trim and little bows at the wrists with six rhinestones on the bows. These are sure to get attention at the gym. These are also for cycling, boot camps, spinning and other types of exercise. They prevent callouses on your hands and fingers.

The part that goes around the wrist opens and closes with a velcro strap so you can customize how loose or tight you want it.

These come in a matching plastic zippered case, which could also be used as a cosmetics bag. Included is a black and pink headband with a wide elastic on the back so it fits your head perfectly.

I measured my palms when I got these and they are 7.5 inches around, so I got the mediums, which are the largest size available. I recommend that, when you get these, you manually stretch them out, including the fingers, a few times to break them in. After doing this these were extremely comfortable. Opt for the larger size if in doubt about which size to get.

I got a pair of each style to try out. The Eclipse were my favorites as they didn't have quite as much padding in the fingers and were more loose, while being black with some pink trim--very pretty. The Phoenix model gives maximum hand protection with more padding in the fingers and across the critical parts of the palms. They also are more flashy and I love the gold trim and piping. The Eclipse pair has four tiny silver metal pyramids, one on each finger, while the Phoenix has gold pyramids arranged around the back of the hand.

I went to the gym with these and felt very girly and feminine, which is a nice way to feel when lifting. My manicured nails color coordinated and looked sexy in these. Wearing gloves while lifting, or any other activity such as spinning or boot camps, is a fun way to feel serious about what you are doing while protecting your hands. These are exceptional, sexy, amazing gloves and will attract admirers.

[Sample provided.]

MHOC Fleece Lined Leggings High Waist Thick Slimming Compression Top Many Colors
Offered by My House Of Chic
Price: $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, soft and extremely flattering, July 25, 2014
These are the first stretch leggings I've worn that have a brushed soft inner surface. I wish I had these back when I lived up north in the frigid winters, and froze in my too thin leggings. These are just as soft, thin, and stretchy as other leggings, and they breath, which is important to me, but the inside part of the fabric is super soft brushed material, and feels similar to the backside of sweatshirt material, although it's super thin.

These don't show through like many too thin leggings. Yet they are great looking and really do a nice job of hugging in my tummy in at the same time,due to being high wasted, while being very cozy and comfortable. The outside of the fabric is jet black and looks like any high quality leggings. While these have the extra inner texture to add softness and warmth, they do not add any bulk to my shape.

These do four things at once:

look great
hugs in my tummy
feels cozy and warm
no show through

These are very stretchy and should fit most bodies.

[Sample received free for an honest review.]

HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache Mobile retail kit
HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache Mobile retail kit
Price: $69.00
24 used & new from $69.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice 1 TB drive, July 25, 2014
I wanted a Western Digital to replace my old dying hard drive in my Acer netbook and this one was by a company that is owned by WD so I figured there is not much difference, and this one had such great reviews I decided to give it a try.

It works great. I formatted it by following some simple instructions I found on the internet. It fit into my tiny netbook and is humming along much faster than the old one ever did, since this one is 7200 RPM and the old one was 5200 RPM.

I can hear it slightly which is new, since the old one never made a sound but it was getting very buggy so I don't mind that this one makes sounds. It surprises me how much it has speeded up my netbook.

This was about only $10 more than the 5200 I was going to get. I feel this is a great value for a 1 TB 7200 drive. I like it a lot.
I'm getting another one to make an image of the old drive which was dying, and will keep this one in reserve if that one dies. One can't be too careful if you don't want to risk losing your important work.

Yoga Blocks 2 Pack and Strap Set Combo (4" x 6" x 9" Large Foam Yoga Blocks and 8 Foot Yoga Strap), Yoga Props Package, Starter Kit, Beginners Yoga Kit, For Any Type of Yoga Styles, Perfect For P90X Program, Premium Quality By YogaAddict
Offered by YogaAddict
Price: $34.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Yoga Accessory Set, July 23, 2014
I've been a yoga enthusiast since childhood but lately had stopped when I severely hurt my back and was in too much pain to do much of anything. Now I am once again starting up, and I find that my hamstrings have tightened up and I can't do the poses the way I used to.

I had never used a yoga strap before, not having seen the point in them. I got a couple of DVDs of the great yoga teacher Peggy Cappy who teaches her series "Yoga for the Rest of Us". While using the one called "Back Care Basics" I saw that some poses were using a yoga strap, which is looped around the instep and the leg is held straight, pointing toward the ceiling while lying on the back. Usually I had simply used my hands to grasp the back of my thigh to hold my leg up, but I recently started using this and I am amazed to find that the strap gives a much more controlled stretch to the hamstrings, since you can easily adjust the stretch and angle of the leg to exactly where you want it, by holding the strap with one or both hands while it is looped around the foot.

This has a sort of buckle so you can double up the end of the strap and make it the correct length so it is easier to hold. You can also, while holding the strap with your foot in the loop, move your leg out to each side, giving your inner and outer thighs the perfect amount of stretch. This is wonderful. The texture of the strap, the color, and the extra long length make this a pleasure to use. My hamstrings will be stretched out in no time, since this is fun and much easier to do that trying to hold onto your thigh if you are just getting into yoga poses.

The blocks are light as a feather and yet very strong. You have a choice of three different ways to put these on the floor for the exact height you need as you do your triangle poses. Stand with legs far apart, bend sideways all the way over to one side, and put your lower hand on the block for support, while the other arm reaches toward the ceiling. There are several different poses that you can use these blocks to do. Generally, you would put your hand on the floor for these poses, all of which are done standing with the legs apart in a triangle form. But if you are new to yoga or are tight and can't do the pose correctly in the proper form with your hand on the floor, these are what you put your hand on.

Set these on the floor on any side for either 4", 6" or 9" of height.

The importance of daily loosening of the hamstrings in the back of the legs cannot be overemphasized to avoid back pain, since they attach to the back and buttocks. Walking, running, sitting all make them tighten up, which can lead to back problems, and joint problems.

I recommend using these with any of the many "Yoga for the Rest of Us" videos. There are variations shown for newcomers to yoga in these videos with the use of these blocks, and the strap, shown.

Yoga is the best way to head off osteoarthritis and all the aches and pains and back problems we all face as we get older. Studies have shown it works better than any drug or painkiller. Just do it. And keep doing it. And if you are new to it or want to really get your hamstrings loosened up, which everyone needs, or do the many triangle poses comfortably, this strap and these blocks will make the process easier and painless. The pink color is very uplifting and happy also.

Each block comes wrapped in cellophane and they have zero odor.

This is a wonderful set and I will be putting this to daily use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20