Profile for AKN > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 221

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AKN RSS Feed

Price: $9.88
11 used & new from $7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars No more expensive landline bills, August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have not tried a VOIP phone in many years. I had Magic Jack but between the echoing and dropped calls I gave up on it. I see those problems are no longer an issue with this BasicTalk service. Things have improved in the call quality dramatically.

I gave up my landline in my home about a year ago when I realized I wasn't using it much in favor of my cell phone. I still worried though about what might happen in an emergency situation, if I had to get my cellphone out of my purse suddenly. This is the inexpensive answer to that issue. This is my new backup phone to my cellphone.

I plugged this into my modem, and then plugged it into my phone. I set up my account online by giving my credit card number for monthly bills, and I was online with a new phone service, and an additional phone number also, which is always welcome.

I like once again being able to have additional phones around the house, in fixed locations. I feel more secure in the knowledge I can easily grab a phone if needed in an emergency.

This comes to only $11 a month, which is billed each month on my credit card. It is well worth this small price for the peace of mind having a landline, in addition to my cellphone, gives me. This works well, and is simple to set up. This is a no brainer.

Fearless in Tibet: The Life of the Mystic Terton Sogyal
Fearless in Tibet: The Life of the Mystic Terton Sogyal
by Matteo Pistono
Price: $14.64
42 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Unusual Book, August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been a student of techniques of meditation and a student of Tibet for many years. I was pleased and charmed when I began reading this book to see that it is full of tales of an unusual man who led an unusual life, traveling and teaching in Tibet. A mystics life among the temples and priests in Tibet at the turn of the 20th century is not something I had ever read about in such detail.

Mystic Terton Sogyal lives with at least one foot among the spirits and demons at all times, and as he travels with his family around Tibet is in constant touch through voices, dreams, and visions of spirits of all kinds and of all inclinations. They are perhaps more real to him than flesh and blood people he is among.

The many coachings and help he receives from the spirit numerous beings he is surrounded by, along with the hardships he suffers due to the demons that are also around him, are presented in a fascinating book complete with some photographs.

This is a book for someone who loves Tibet and her ancient spiritual practices. I count myself as one such person. The stories of this remarkable person's life, along with the dozen or so photos, are amazing. I felt as I read this that I was right there, back in that time and in that place, in the temples, walking surrounded by the spirits and demons, and experiencing the mystic visions and teachings.

I will be referring to this book for a long time to come. It will reside on my bookshelf with my other treasured books on mediation and Tibetan Buddhism. This gave a new dimension of reality to my understanding of Tibet. This man, in this place and time, walked in the spirit world at least as much in the world of nature and earth. This book is an experience not to be missed.

Car Sun Shade- Best Easy Twist Folding Windshield Sun Shade - Fits Small & Jumbo Rear & Side Windows - Perfect Sun Screen - Keeps Interior Cooler - UV Protective Shield for Your Baby, Infants & Kids
Offered by O&T Online
Price: $10.20

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this and needed it, August 28, 2014
I live in a hot climate and my car gets scorching hot inside at this time of year. Anything I can do to block out some of the sun helps a lot. Most people here use sunshades in their windshields and I have seen a few cars using these in the back side windows. Every time I've seen them I've wondered where they got them.

Now I know. I put these in my side rear windows and they tuck down on the bottom edge inside the window frame and the little suction cup keeps them secure on the top edge. These are super lightweight.
They provide complete protection from the sun's glare for the back seat of the car. They do limit visibility, but I don't need to see out the side back windows. From the outside they can't be seen very well.

They help to keep the interior of the car cooler while it is parked. This is a simple, well thought out solution to keep cars cooler, and I also like the bit of privacy they offer. These look nice in the windows too. They leave a few inches around the sides, but in my car they come to the bottom and top of the windows perfectly. I also like how these fold up into little flat circles when not in use.

These are a great addition help keep my car cooler inside. And the price is good also.

*I was sent a sample for review by the seller.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 11:32 PM PDT

Manifest Moment to Moment: 8 Principles to Create the Life You Truly Desire
Manifest Moment to Moment: 8 Principles to Create the Life You Truly Desire
by Carrol McLaughlin
Price: $11.67
46 used & new from $8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars What you think, so you will become, August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a reference guide which explains what is basically the Law of Attraction in great detail, and since hope springs eternal, this advises us to follow our inner knowing, that intuitive sense of what to do in our lives at any given time. And that takes some practice which pays off well in the long run.

I like some New Age books, and my intuition tells me there is a lot of truth in some of them, including this one. As this book states, "Intuition is a way of receiving information that taps into levels of knowing beyond your physical reality." I like this because my intuition is at times incredibly in tune and helpful and has come through for me in both crises situations, and to tell me when to buy gold just before it goes up. So the chapter on intuition was a hit with me, with such headings as "Trust Yourself", "Be a Sponge", "How do you like to play?", "Be Nurturing", and "Be Detached".

This is an easy and very enjoyable read if you are a seeker of new truths. I will give an example.
This was valuable to me as I am dealing with some strong emotions involving the recent death of a loved one; "People think that if they deny or stuff their emotions, it will diminish the emotions power. In fact, trying to suppress emotions simply gives them the fuel to take over your life and drive your behavior. Only by acknowledging your emotional truth and giving it a voice can you "take the wind out the the sail" and become able to consciously choose what to do."

I read this in a few days and was able to glean some very useful help from it, regarding using my intuition, solving problems, and getting help in various ways from my environment. The most useful chapter for me was this one: "Intention Overcomes Every Obstacle". This was something I had forgotten, and it came as just the message I needed now. This is a great self help book for those like me who seek guidance from well written New Age books. This contains a wealth of helpful information and is a joy to read.

AT-A-GLANCE 2014-2016 Academic Year Camille 2-Year Monthly Pocket Planner, 3.62 x 6.17 Inch Page Size (100-021A)
Price: $10.99
3 used & new from $5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket sized two year calendar, August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very attractive little two year calendar. It goes from July 2014 to July 2016. It is small enough for a large pocket and very slender. It has a clear plastic cover on it which is removable. Inside the front cover is a list of about 100 holidays, with the dates for each for each of four years from 2014 through 2017.

Each month is covered by two facing pages. There is a postage stamp sized box for each day, plus a one inch area on the left side with lines to write notes. In the back are a few pages for notes and contacts.

This won't be big enough for you to write much for each day. What I plan to use this for is to keep track of every day's earnings from an online business. I can write in the amount I earned each day, along with the amount of expenses and refunds. It is perfect for this purpose. This will also be a place to record how much I weigh each day, since I like to keep track of that on a daily basis.

The colors and purple flowers on the cover, front and back, are also along the top of each page on the inside, making this a pleasure to look at. The names of the days are written in an attractive script.

This is great looking, practical, and a handy small size that can fit in a purse or pocket. And I love the way it is a two year calendar. I plan to make full use of this for two years. I know that thanks to the plastic cover on this is will hold up well for the full two years. This is a very nice item.

Paper Mate Clearpoint Mix and Match 0.7MM Mechanical Pencil Starter Kit
Paper Mate Clearpoint Mix and Match 0.7MM Mechanical Pencil Starter Kit
Price: $10.90
2 used & new from $5.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual concept in a mechanical pencil, August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a mechanical pencil with five separate tops so that you can change the color of the top half of the pencil. There are also five different erasers in different colors which are changeable at your whim.

When I saw this I was puzzled. The main pencil that is already assembled is a nice color. The one I received is a pink/fushia color, with the bottom and top matching. Included in the package are also four more tops in red, blue, green, and a dark purple.

The pencil comes with a white eraser in it but included in the package are erasers in blue, yellow, orange and purple. The purple eraser is a different purple than the purple top. So none of the erasers match the tops, nor do they match the fushia bottom piece. In other words, this is a study in mismatched, uncoordinated colors.

I was wondering who this would appeal to. I was also wondering, why is the product needed and by whom. These are questions I do not have an answer for. I think this would be eye catching on a store shelf, so maybe that is the theory behind the marketing for this.

I will be leaving the pencil as it is, since the way it comes, the top and bottom half match. Each eraser is two inches long, and since there are five of them in total, this is good for a lot of erasing.

This comes with one stick of .7mm number 2 lead. I would like this better if extra lead were included. Also I would like this better if the colors were more coordinated with each other. I cannot fathom the reasoning behind this, with the mismatched colors to choose from for only the top of the pencil.

I love all the Papermate pens I have owned in the past. They write the best and are the most elegant looking of all the inexpensive pens on the market. I took off one star for this product since I don't need nor want four extra mismatched tops for my mechanical pencil. It does write and erase well.

Genuine Joe GJO15363 5-Mil Light Powder Industrial Nitrile Gloves, Extra Large, Light Blue (Pack of 100)
Price: $9.70
11 used & new from $8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent work gloves for many tasks, August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a box of 100 blue, nitrile disposable gloves. I prefer my gloves on the big side so these are XL and fit my hands perfectly. I am a woman who has hands which measure 7.5 inches when measured around the palm of the hand. They are only slightly big. They slide on and off easily.

These will protect my hands while washing dishes, using tire black to darken my tires, waxing my car, cleaning out my drains, and many other tasks around the house.

These are similar to the thin rubber gloves I have in boxes of 100, but they are more substantial and do not seem as if they will be likely to rip. They pop up easily from the oval opening in the top of the box.

What I love about these is the finely milled powder in each glove. They are super easy to get on and off. I also love the way these come up over my wrists, so if I stick my hand in a sink full of soapy water, the water won't come over the edge of the glove. They are fairly slim fitting at the wrist, so on a man's larger wrist they will be a tighter fit.

Overall these gloves are excellent. Nitrile is similar feeling to the thin rubber gloves, such as surgical gloves, but is more substantial, while retaining the thin quality. These are excellent for any work situation where basic hand protection is needed.

Turtle Wax T-12KT Jet Black Endura-Shine Tire Coat Kit
Turtle Wax T-12KT Jet Black Endura-Shine Tire Coat Kit
Offered by Ron's Home and Hardware
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tire Black that lasts, August 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using a type of tire black that needs to be reapplied twice per month. It makes the tires black and shiny and is a standard part of car detailing. It coats the tires with an oily substance to make them shine. That shine washes off quickly though.

This lasts for about two or three months or more, depending on how much you drive, and if you drive in rain a lot or wash your car a lot. This is a black vinyl paint. It looks similar to the tire shine product I've been using but is more paint like. The shine is lasting and natural looking, and is a better, darker black than other products I've used. You will be needing at least two coats of this to get a dark black.

This is a kit with spray on tire cleaner, plastic gloves, a sponge for the dye, and a bottle of dye included in the box.

Although the instructions say to use this when it is no more than 82 degrees outside, I used this at a temperature of 88 degrees without any problems.

This is messy. The dye is a black liquid so have a rag ready to wipe any drips off of your wheels. It goes on quickly and easily however, and I was able to get one coat on all four tires in about half an hour.

This made my tires look great. I recommend this and it does last better than the other tire black I've been using. I expect to get at least two months of black tires out of two coats before they need to be done again.

Incipio Feather Case for Fire Phone, Black
Incipio Feather Case for Fire Phone, Black
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, thin and rubbery, August 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very thin, minimalist black case. It has that smooth rubbery feel of silicone that I love. It is grippy and nice to hold. If you drop your Fire Phone, this will protect it. It won't protest it from a drop onto concrete from 30 stories, but it will protect it from minor drops. All the holes line up the way they should.

This is a case that will not detract from the beauty and thin appeal of the Fire Phone. It enhances it. I prefer cases like this over thicker ones. This looks great and feels great. It's very nice and the price is right.

Herbal Essences Naked Dry Shampoo 4.9 Oz, 4.900-Fluid Ounce
Herbal Essences Naked Dry Shampoo 4.9 Oz, 4.900-Fluid Ounce
Price: $6.99
6 used & new from $6.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Freshens the hair well, August 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was ready to wash my hair when this came in the mail. I sprayed this on my hair, and it made my hair light and fluffy. Instead of looking matted and stringy, it looked and smelled full and clean. I was not prepared for how well this worked. I wouldn't say it made my hair look like it was just washed, and yet it definitely looked like it was clean.

This smells really good. It contains menthol and peppermint oil. It comes out feeling wet, and I had to be careful not to get this near my scalp, since I didn't want my scalp to feel wet, not did I want to be spraying menthol and peppermint oil directly on my scalp, due to allergies to these ingredients.

I wanted to try this again but the second time, the sprayer was clogged and nothing would come out. I tried running hot water over the nozzle, but it didn't help. It was hopelessly clogged. I was disappointed, since this worked so well and made my hair look so good the first time I used it.

I think if they could put this in a different type of delivery system this would be a great product.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2014 5:29 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20