Profile for Zephyr > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 113

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Zephyr "Zephyr" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion + with Pump 125ml/4.2oz - Very Dry to Dry Combination
Offered by bluemercury, Inc.
Price: $26.00
25 used & new from $19.34

1.0 out of 5 stars Improvement? Well, that depends how you want to use it., August 17, 2013
I love the original DDML and was shocked last night when Macys told me that it has been discontinued. The girl behind the counter told me it will feel the same and I bought it. Needless to say, it went from a five star product to one that shouldn't even be on the shelves.

When you first put it on, you will notice that it no longer feels lightweight or smooth. The reason I loved this product is because of how easily it could be layered with creams or makeup. It literally felt like bug spray on my face. If you know what 90% humidity feels like mixed with sweat and stickiness, that is how this so-called improved version felt like. My skin never absorbed it and it felt like it was weighing down on my skin. I washed it off quickly and I would not recommend this to anyone or purchase this ever again.

Clinique made a terrible business move and judging from other reviews, many are outraged as well. This new concoction contains barley extract, cucumber, sunflower seedcake, and plenty of extra acids to give you hives and acne. If you have sensitive skin like me, run from this terror.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2013 7:23 AM PDT

Re-Evolution
Re-Evolution
Price: $16.52
25 used & new from $10.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but certainly not an epic piece., June 27, 2013
This review is from: Re-Evolution (Audio CD)
I honestly struggled with whether in my opinion this is a three star or a four star album. The departure of Heidi came as probably a shock to most fans and we were all left wondering how this will all unfold. I followed the band's website and Facebook constantly waiting for the new singer to be announced. It was finally announced the Capri would be taking Heidi's place. I know a lot of people, including me in some ways, enjoyed the operatic style that Heidi's voice lent the band. I could probably go on comparing Heidi and Capri forever because they are different, but both have something special to give to the band.

Capri's voice is strong, one of the strongest I have heard in today's symphonic metal. In fact, I will go as far as saying she could be listed right under Floor Jansen. However, this album didn't really play to her strong points. Meanwhile, really bombastic in her style and she delivers the notes, there is just something missing. There isn't a lot of variation in her vocal delivery and these songs were written for Heidi's operatic voice. Many of the songs on this album sounded great the way they were and I can't help, but compare them to the originals. I think the band really made it hard to rate this, because the music alone is five stars for me, but the singing really either is a hit or miss for most people.

In a way I was really thrilled to hear Capri singing old Amberian Dawn songs, but they also somehow made it harder for her to be accepted by hardcore fans. Heidi set the bar high, and no one can help but compare the two variations of the songs on this album. I will say that as with the new Nightwish, you will either love this album or love to hate it. If you already hated Amberian Dawn, this CD probably won't change your mind. If you were a fan, definitely listen to the album on YouTube before looking to purchase it.

I can say that the musicianship is top notch; the guitars that I fell in love with are still there packed with a punch. Capri is a great singer, but perhaps there should've been different songs for her to sing with a bit more variety. The songs on this album aren't really varied because many of them are from the 'Circus Black' release. The self-titled track wasn't really anything to brag about on the original either, and somehow, Capri singing it still didn't change my mind.

The fact that there is no logic behind the chosen songs is what leaves me feeling like this release is lacking. They have released 4 CDs over the past years, and if they wanted Capri to sing 10 songs on the new release, they could've picked the best 2 or 3 songs of each album for her to sing. If at all possible, songs that fit her vocal style the best. Instead, they threw `River of Tuoni' as number 11 in the tracks, when it would've made sense to put it in the beginning of the album since it was one of the first songs ever released by the band.

At the end of the day, this release left me feeling neutral. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it (not the singer's fault). I think time will only tell and help tip the scales one way or another. Perhaps, those who don't like Capri may learn to appreciate her if the band puts out a new album with fresh never before heard songs. Either way, this is just my personal opinion and anyone contemplating getting the album, listen to it first and consider whether or not YOU like it. I know a lot of people tend to base their opinions of an album on what the metal magazines or Amazon reviews state. That's really irrelevant because at the end of the day, you're the one forking over the money and you're the one who will either listen to something or not listen to it.

Ethera
Ethera
Price: $13.98
39 used & new from $7.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking on too many levels..., June 9, 2013
This review is from: Ethera (Audio CD)
Let me start by saying that I am a fan of Visions of Atlantis, but this album just really didn't hit the mark for me. I was attracted to their sound because they were symphonic metal and somewhat reminiscent of an Oceanborn-era Nightwish, but every aspect of that personality was bluntly killed off in this CD. This CD was actually recorded with no bass guitar and that is very apparent in the music if you give it a listen. The keyboards were toned down, but that left the music without emotion and many shallow gaps.

My first impression of the CD was not too bad. The sound they created is much more straight-up metal, but it just didn't really have feeling. Maxi Nil's voice sounded flat and just didn't soar. Mario even toned done his vocals and they sounded tired and emotionless. The guitar playing was something that I felt you could really rock out to, but the vocals deadpanned it for me. I was hoping for some in-your-face style singing, but that didn't come from either vocalist.

What really made me decide that this CD is one of their poorer releases is the fact that the atmosphere of the music was gone. I wasn't looking forward to the next track and I got impatient having to sit through each song. When a new song finally came up, it sounded almost exactly like the one before it. The fact that the keyboards didn't really play a prominent role in the music also took the soul out of this CD. I know most people would argue that metal is best without focus on keyboards, but after listening to this release, most people might agree that for Visions of Atlantis, that's musical suicide.

For all of the negative aspects of this CD, I can add that there are three really great tracks recorded here. "Hypnotized" was probably what I would consider the best track on the entire release. It portrayed Maxi Nil's voice as powerful and a force to be reckoned with. It rocked and had a gritty feel to it, but alas, the rest of the CD just didn't. "Machinage" and "Tlaloc's Grace" were the two remaining songs that really held their place on the album. They had keyboards, great singing and emotion.

My best advice is, listen to this CD before buying it. Check out the songs on YouTube, preview the MP3s or borrow them from a friend. Some listeners may find this change for the band impressing and more power to them. Those of us who enjoyed "Trinity" or "Cast Away" due to its atmospheric keyboards and operatic singing will be left unfulfilled by this release. I am hoping that if they put out a new album in the next two years, it will be much better.

Delta
Delta
Price: $11.00
59 used & new from $3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my personal favorites., February 19, 2013
This review is from: Delta (Audio CD)
I find it amazing how many people outright bash this album when it's still better than 90% of the horrific albums that most symphonic metal/rock bands put out. I have all of the Visions of Atlantis albums and personally, this one stood out the most for me. Trinity may seem like the most tight release they have, but it is also probably the safest. With Delta, they actually went and strayed a bit farther from the norm.

Maxi Nil is not at all a bad choice. If you listen to the track titled "Memento", you can easily hear that she can certainly earn her keep as a soprano. The music isn't predictable and the guitars are epic. Mario Plank's voice has gotten a lot better since previous releases and he has a lot more power than most male singers in this genre. There are no grunts and growls, just forceful singing. I personally found it a breath of fresh air to hear someone sound similar to Marco from Nightwish.

The lyrics are what seem to trouble most people. If I were to focus on the lyrics, then yes, they are clearly singing about death and destruction with mild doses of mythology thrown in. However, what bands out there (popular or not) have great or thought provoking lyrics? Probably not a whole lot. It's a shame to throw out a great band based on how good or not good the lyrics are. What matters to me is the music and most of the time, it's hard to discern what they're singing anyhow.

Last, but not least, do not base your opinion of this band on just the sound clips on Amazon. Shame on me because I did that and I finally listened to the whole CD on YouTube. I was really upset because I missed out on one of the better bands in this genre who deserve to be up there with Nightwish and the likes. If you enjoy Nightwish and a good dose of symphonic in your metal or rock music, this band does an epic job. The singers can sing and the lyrics are truly not any worse than what you would hear from Nightwish or Leaves Eyes. Instead of not buying or buying a CD based purely on Amazon reviews, take the time to actually listen to the music before making up your mind.

Sterling Silver Black and White Diamond Skull Pendant Necklace, 18"
Sterling Silver Black and White Diamond Skull Pendant Necklace, 18"
Price: $33.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Unwarranted poor reviews., November 28, 2012
Don't be put off by the negative reviews. This is a really beautiful, feminine piece of jewelry. If you love crossbones and want to add some flair to your wardrobe, this adds the perfect statement. This piece is about the size of your thumbnail, so if you're looking for something large, this isn't it. I would like to add that the fact that this piece is small is what makes it all the more beautiful and expensive looking. I have noticed that the larger some skull necklaces get, the more gaudy they are with poor workmanship. I really love crossbones, but I wanted something classy, so I purchased this. The chain isn't too thin, but it definitely won't last long if there is too much tension on it. I personally like the thin chain and I'm not bothered by it. However, in the end it just comes down to taste. You want something classy, feminine with rocker goth flair, get this. If you want to make a huge statement with something that you can wear to a death metal concert, definitely look elsewhere. For the price, I think this was great as it has diamonds and real silver. Just looking at the tasteless stuff that jewelry stores at the mall chains sell, I think this is about the best you'll find in this price range with personality.

King's Brand PS22 Plant Stand Accent Side End Table, Black Finish
King's Brand PS22 Plant Stand Accent Side End Table, Black Finish
Price: $39.61
2 used & new from $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece!, November 2, 2012
I am very happy with my purchase, especially since I took the chance and ordered two. It is entirely black and looks exactly like the picture. The finish was flawless and there were no factory errors when I opened the box. The two tables were very easy to put together and packaged to withstand abuse. I bought these to work as nightstands and they look great next to my old fashioned bed. It has a lovely old world feel and almost a French style that looks perfect. If you want something classic, dark and different from those boring or creepy nightstands, this is it! Not mentioning, it requires minimal space and doesn't need you to sacrifice space you may need for other things.

We Are The Others
We Are The Others
Price: $17.98
31 used & new from $9.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Too sugar coated for me..., November 2, 2012
This review is from: We Are The Others (Audio CD)
I have been following Delain since their release of Lucidity, and somehow, I think my expectations were a bit high. Most people seem to like this album from Delain, but when I really take it apart, it doesn't offer much. When I look at complex bands like Diabulus in Musica, Epica or Amberian Dawn, this CD feels too "pop" for my taste. In recent metal reviews, it has even been dubbed pop metal. I suppose that fits the bill and meanwhile, I'm not against pop music, I just don't see the evolution of the band either.

So, what made this a downfall for me? The songs for one. They don't grab your attention, they are not in your face and after listening to them twice, they just sort of plummet. Epica manages to hold your attention and forces you to listen to each CD over and over again. Delain doesn't do that. In a way, they are too accessible, not ethereal and don't take advantage of vocal talent. They have been trying to market as symphonic metal, but all that's missing are the symphonic elements.

Charlotte's vocals are a hit and miss. I think she is talented, has a great voice and clearly has been trained. However, she never wanders out of her comfort zone and doesn't do anything exceptional. Sharon from Within Temptation manages to go from a soprano goddess to a mere devilish vixen in a few seconds. Charlotte just doesn't really get there. It's good, but it could've been great. The absence of a permanent male vocalist also causes this CD to suffer. Delain could really benefit from male vocals, may they be growling (hopefully not) or just singing. Marco Hietala does an excellent job in Nightwish and I feel that Delain could really evolve using a male vocalist.

The songs seem to blend together. They are different of course, but after listening to the CD, it just sort of seems I may as well have listened to any number of tracks. If you liked one song on the CD, you could like any of the other ones as well. Sadly, there are no killer riffs, no awesome vocal moments and Delain doesn't set the atmosphere.

Overall, this is a good effort, but it won't make Delain a very exciting band. In order to beat the competition and gain a widespread following, I really feel they need to bring something extra to the table in terms of symphonic metal. Lucidity was epic, April Rain was okay and We Are The Others is tolerable. They are still worth a listen, but I think this CD may get old too fast to remain on my permanent playlist.

Revamp
Revamp
Price: $14.02
41 used & new from $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great addition to my collection..., June 9, 2012
This review is from: Revamp (Audio CD)
If you like symphonic metal, Epica or After Forever, then you will probably find parts of this CD to appreciate. People who love heavy metal with male vocals and death grunts, will be less likely to be able to appreciate the artfulness of this CD. I can't argue with the reviews that claim this sounds a lot like After Forever because it does. I can say that I haven't really been a fan of After Forever, but really liked Floor's vocals. I was very happy to get a hold of this release because it is centered around her great vocal abilities and not the instrumentation.

This CD takes a few listens to get used and to really appreciate. I am being honest when I say that I absolutely didn't like it when I first listened to it. I thought the music wasn't really catchy and the whole CD is basically Floor's vocals and not many symphonic elements. It is clear however that the CD has many redeeming qualities. The music does end up becoming catchy because it is so opposite that it almost sticks. Floors vocals are top notch and I can easily hear why she is deemed one of the best vocalists of the genre. She can pull of angry, heavy and ethereal all in one song. There aren't any other vocalists that I could compare her to and probably shouldn't.

Some of the songs leave something to be desired, but many of them are great! "Sweet Curse" is one of the best duets/ballads I have heard from any symphonic metal/rock group. It is catchy, the vocals are top notch and the lyrics are great too. "Head Up High" is another one of my favorites as it really showcases the more "in your face" style of Floor. "Kill Me With Silence" has the makings of another catchy song that really sticks. This is probably the first band that I can also point to where the lyrics aren't bad, cheesy or really out there. It isn't exactly five stars because the music isn't really bombastic or epic like Xandria's, Epica's or Nightwish's is. However, the CD is great for the genre it's in, not as heavy as some forms of metal, but better than pop/rock music on MTV and I can see that probably the next CD by ReVamp might be even better.

Alloy
Alloy
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $12.99
35 used & new from $8.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great band!, June 3, 2012
This review is from: Alloy (Audio CD)
Trillium is another great and welcomed addition to the European symphonic metal genre. The comparisons are probably inevitable between Epica, Nightwish and Within Temptation. However, Trillium brings something else to the table. What I personally loved about this band is that they are straightforward and accessible, somewhat unpredictable too. For example, Nightwish spends so much time on their song intros and symphonic elements, that the pure metal is sometimes overlooked. Trillium takes a more raw-edged metal sound and puts out a symphonic spin on it with crystal clear vocals from Amanda.

With clever musicianship and music that really sinks into your brain on repeat, Trillium pretty much has what it takes to be a competitor in the genre. I personally don't view them as an epic band like Nightwish or Epica, but they definitely have room to grow. The lyrics are probably the weakest part of this album. There is nothing particularly wrong with them, but if you take a close listen, they are not deep and bordering on cheesy. However, I really can't name one band that I truly listen to because of the lyrics. The lyrics aren't strong, but the overall musicianship really takes this band to new levels. What this band clearly does differently is that the songs are centered around Amanda's vocals and it trades off with killer good guitar riffs, whereas other bands go for the symphonic elements and choirs.

If you are like me and only really like symphonic metal with lead female vocals and tread the metal waters slowly, then this is an easy buy for you. It is heavier than rock music (you can easily tell the differences), but not as brutal and in your face as metal generally tends to be. When I first listened to the sound clips on Amazon, I didn't like this band and avoided it. They kept on popping up on my recommendations page until I got really annoyed and listened to the full songs on Youtube. I am VERY happy that I gave them another shot because this is probably one of my favorite CDs to listen to lately. Amazon tends to clip the worst parts of songs and when they do clip good parts, they are much too short to get a good feel of the band. Many claim that "Machine Gun" is probably the strongest points in this album, but I would have to say it was the duet, "Scream It" for me. It was probably the best duets I have heard within this genre and it's strange that it didn't even come from the most popular band either.

Circus Black
Circus Black
Offered by IMS Distribution
Price: $21.86
39 used & new from $5.44

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best AD releases to date!, March 24, 2012
This review is from: Circus Black (Audio CD)
With so many disappointments this year being released in the symphonic metal genre, it feels good to hear a CD that doesn't make me lose faith and cringe. Thankfully, Amberian Dawn does not disappoint. Somehow there is something appealing about psychotic circuses, killer clowns and creepy carnivals so their new CD is titled "Circus Black". However, this isn't just a simple CD, quite the opposite actually! Amberian Dawn's CD is complex and well put together.If you are used to their folklore lyrics, then you won't find them with this release, but you will find some exemplary symphonic power metal being delivered.

This is Amberian Dawn's first CD that actually uses a real choir with operatic singers and includes a keyboard solo in one song. The tunes are creepy (Nox Arcana-ish), but powerfully delivered with style. Heidi's voice is top notch and the guitar playing is epic. The songs are actually quite catchy and much more memorable than their previous releases. The thing we all have to keep in mind with this band is that they aren't commercial. I don't really see their music being the soundtrack to a movie or being released on MTV, but they are a really great band to listen to.

When listening to this CD, I do see a lot of different bands mashed together. For example, with Heidi's singing I hear a bit of Tarja and Manuela (Xandria) as for the music, I hear Rhapsody of Fire with a tinge of old Nightwish. If you are a fan of any one of those bands, then this is a release you would want to listen to. The two most standout tracks on this CD for me are "Charnel's Ball" and the self-titled, "Circus Black". "Charnel's Ball" also happens to be one of the catchiest songs they have released with a memorable choir part.

All in all, if you like Amberian Dawn, creepy circuses or are scared of clowns like I am, consider this CD for the sheer artistry, choirs, singing and well delivered symphonic power metal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12