Profile for Nancy Loderick > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 555

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nancy Loderick "Internet strategist" RSS Feed (Boston, MA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
@War: The Rise of the Military-Internet Complex
@War: The Rise of the Military-Internet Complex
by Shane Harris
Price: $19.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Some serious things to consider about the Internet, September 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book reads like a story rather than a dry report about the military and how they are using the Internet to conduct cyber-warfare. It's not only the military, but corporations and foreign governments conducting this cyber stuff.

Shane does a very good job at explaining somewhat complex and arcane concepts of computer hacking. I was nervous just reading about how easy it is for a determined hacker to glean all sorts of information.

Shane quotes lots of real sources and this lends a lot of credibility to this book.

It will be interesting to see how the next several years unfold.

Lay's Air Pops, Original, 3 oz (Pack of 10)
Lay's Air Pops, Original, 3 oz (Pack of 10)
Price: $30.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Too salty and hard, September 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love potato chips. I also love trying to eat healthy. How can one reconcile these two things? I was initially excited to learn about Lays Pop Chips since they are baked and have a lower fat content.

I was disappointed though because they tasted way too salty, plus they were very hard. I was surprised at the texture since they are thinner than regular chips.

They are also quite pricey compared to other chips. On Amazon, the cost is $3.00 for 3 ounces. At the local supermarket, I pay $3.00 for a 9 ounce bag of name brand low salt or low fat chips.

I would skip these chips and stick to regular ones from the super market.

Leaving Time: A Novel
Leaving Time: A Novel
by Jodi Picoult
Price: $16.80

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating story by a master story teller, September 24, 2014
This review is from: Leaving Time: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was the first book I have read by Jodi Piccoult. I will be reading all of her other books now too! As humans, we are fascinated by stories. Jodi is a master at telling stories.

Jenna has never gotten over the disappearance of her mother, Alice, even after several years. Alice and her husband Thomas, ran an elephant sanctuary in New Hampshire of all places. Jenna enlists the help of a disgraced psychic, Serenity, and a washed up detective, Virgil, to help find her mother.

Interwoven with this story line is all about elephants. I was more fascinated by the elephants than by the characters. What charming and intelligent animals!

I've read many mysteries and they all can seem the same. This book really stands out because of the characters and the story lines.

Why I so enjoyed this book:

* The characters. Each character has his own chapter, but it's quite easy to follow.
* The characters are likeable. Sure they have their faults, but they come across as being quite human.
* The information about elephants. Who knew they were such complex and interesting animals.
* The story. I must admit, I stayed up late for a few nights so that I could finish the book and see what happened.

I highly recommend this book.

Wrist Wraps ★ FREE Bonuses (Limited) - Maximum Support for Weightlifting, Crossfit, Powerlifting, Bodybuilding, Gymnastics - Men & Women - Avoid Pain & Injury during Weight Lifting - Elastic & Heavy Duty - Best Lifetime 100% Money Back Guarantee!
Offered by LivingTheDRM
Price: $20.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Ramp up your fitness with these!, September 24, 2014
I love heavy weight lifting, but I am also careful. My wrists aren't very strong and this has limited how much I bench press or shoulder press. I was happy to find this product because it has helped me get stronger.

Why I love this product:

* The straps are high quality and built to last. They are of a heavy material and the stitching will not come loose.

* They fit my small wrists. There is enough material that they will also fit men's larger wrists.

* They have helped me improve my fitness. I love it! I feel so strong and accomplished when I lift weights and I am feeling extra strong these days since I am able to safely lift heavier weights.

* The really help stabilize my wrists. My wrists tend to get sore since I also do a lot of yoga and plank work. These straps really help me get over that.

* They are helpful for yoga and plank work too.

If you want to take your fitness to the next level, you may just want to try these nifty straps. You will be glad you did!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2014 10:51 AM PDT

COUI SPF 30 Sunscreen for Face and Body - Advanced Protection for Youthful Skin. Rich in Vitamins, Antioxidants and Moisturizers - Easily Absorbed Like No Other Sunblock Cream - Broad Spectrum UVA & UVB (4 Oz.)
Offered by FA Poletti
Price: $25.95
2 used & new from $20.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and great under make up!, September 24, 2014
After spending my youth basking in the sun, I am really trying to save my skin now. I am very fair so I have to be very careful. I wear sunscreen year round.

I love this facial sunscreen and here's why:

* The quality ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Zinc Oxide (7%), Octisalate (5%). All of these are very effective at blocking the sun's rays.

* It blends into my skin very smoothly. I have used other sunscreens with zinc oxide and while they protected my skin, they didn't rub in very well. I was left with a white residue. I thought that was the price I had to pay for using a product with zinc oxide.

* How it feels under make up. My make up just glides on my face now and the sunscreen doesn't interfere with the consistency or color.

* No smell. As much as I love the smell of sunscreen since it reminds me of summer vacations at the beach, I don't want to walk around the office smelling like I just came from the beach.

* It's not greasy. I kayak a lot and in the warm weather, my face can feel like a sweat, greasy mess. With this product, my face didn't feel greasy.

I highly recommend this product to anyone wanting an effective facial sunscreen.

* I received a free sample of this product for testing and review.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 7:54 AM PDT

Skin Whitening Cream Mask - The Best Lightening Treatment for Face, Neck and Intimate Areas Such As Underarms (Armpit) and Bikini Line ★ Contains Safe Beauty Bleaching Products Such As Niacinamide, Kaolin Clay and Vitamin C That Lighten Facial Scars, Blemishes and Natural Dark Age Spots on Both Men and Women ★ 100% Money Back Guarantee
Offered by Gammus
Price: $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Help for those pesky age spots, September 21, 2014
I spent my youth basking in the sun. I am paying the price for it today. I am fair skinned and the years of tanning have caught up with me. I was intrigued by this product since it claims to whiten age spots.

I have only used this product a few times and I do think my skin is lighter.

Why I like this product:

* It works. Even though I have only used this product a few times, my skin seems to be brighter, with less sign of damage.

* The minimal ingredients. All that is in this product:

Vitamin C
Niacinamide - aka Vitamin B3, has anti-inflammatory properties
Lactic Acid - aka alpha hydroxyl acid, enhances collagen production but doesn't cause irritation
Bentonite - a clay that can absorb toxins
Kaolin Clay - I couldn't find any information about this product, it does sound pretty harmless though
Ascorbic Acid - another Vitamin C derivative, has antioxidant properties
Magnesium-i-asorbyl 2phosphate - a Vitamin C derivative that has skin lightening properties.

I wish there had been more detailed instructions about this product, like how often one should use it. I have dry skin and I think I will only use it once a week so that my skin doesn't get drier.

If you are looking for a skin care product that will help brighten your face, you may just like this.

* I was provided a free sample of this product for review and testing.

Eat Meat And Stop Jogging: 'Common' Advice On How To Get Fit Is Keeping You Fat And Making You Sick
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought, September 21, 2014
As a lifelong exercise and nutrition nut, I was intrigued by the title of this book. I used to think that I needed to exercise hard for at least an hour a day; otherwise I would lose all my fitness gains. Slowly, by trial and error I have come to realize that less intense exercise, done more consistently is what works to keep me fit and healthy.

I have mixed feelings about this book.

The most positive thing about this book is that it gave me something to think about. Mike does quote lots of studies to support his claims.

Although I would argue that you can find studies to back up almost any nutrition claim you make. I'm sure there are plenty of studies out there that show that eating a low fat diet can make you healthier. What to believe?

How you say something is just as important as what you say. I read the e-book version and found it hard to read since the formatting was not that great. As others have mentioned, the charts were so small they were impossible to read. Although Mike does give references to the studies he quotes, he does so at the end of the book and he doesn't number them, so you have no way of knowing which study is for which statement. It would have been a lot more professional for Mike to number his statement and then use this number to reference them. This is a much more professional way to write.

I view this book as a reminder that moderation in ALL things is key. Eating a lot of red meat, grass fed or not, is probably not good for you. Eating an extremely low fat diet is not good for you either. This is not scientific evidence, but I find that if I eat a balanced diet, meaning not excluding a food group, I feel and perform at my best.

* I was given a free copy of this book for reading and review.

Super C Serum: A True Breakthrough in Anti Aging Skin Care - Fastest Collagen Creation for Smooth Skin with EGF, Marine Kelp, Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid and Antioxidants. Your Wrinkles, Fine Lines and Age Spots Will Fade and Diminish. Natural Treatment for Sensitive Skin, Rosacea and Acne Scars. Prepare Yourself for Endless Compliments.
Offered by FA Poletti
Price: $28.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice serum for your face, September 21, 2014
I am on a constant quest to find skin care products that work. As I've gotten older, my skin is getting drier and has lost some of its elasticity. I've read that Vitamin C is good for skin since it is a powerful anti -oxidant that neutralizes free radicals. It also helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and age spots.

Why I like this product:

* It doesn't sting or tingle when I apply it. Since my skin is dry, I have to be careful on which products I use, since some can be very drying. I always follow up this product with a nice, moisturizing face cream.

* It works. My skin looked noticeably brighter after using this.

* The quality. The partial list of ingredients:
Distilled water
Kelp ferment filtrate
Collagen
Hyaluronic Acid
Lemon extract.

If you are looking for a Vitamin C serum that works, you might just enjoy this product.

* I received a free sample of this product for testing and review.

Deepen Your Practice With Vytas
Deepen Your Practice With Vytas
DVD ~ Vytas Baskauskas
Price: $119.99
17 used & new from $82.00

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to go deeper into your yoga practice, this series is for you!, September 21, 2014
The more I do yoga, the more I want to do yoga. It's the one exercise that never loses its appeal. I don't have the luxury of going to live yoga classes, but this series is the closest to the real thing.

Why I love this practice:

* Vytas is a master instructor. He has it all: the soothing voice, the explicit instruction and the gentle demeanor.

* The form tips have really taken me deeper into my practice. I never really realized how complex yoga is; each posture has many layers. I learn something new each time I do one of these workouts.

* I am getting stronger and more flexible by the week. I was pretty strong and flexible before doing this practice. I have done a few rounds of Travis' "Ultimate Yogi" and Rudy's "Warrior 365." I loved both of those sets. They are both good training for this set.

* The workout structure. I love how Vytas has a short, 3 minute meditation at the end. I'll admit it; I am a hyper person and find it almost impossible to sit still for meditation. After doing each workout, I am blissed-out and calm, so I am able to sit still for 3 minutes and not fidget.

* It challenges me in ways I never thought possible. Never in a million years did I believe that I could do a handstand. Well, consistent practice has made this a reality for me. Never mind that I am only upside down for a very short time, but it's much more than I ever did.

My only caution on this series is that is definitely not for beginners, or even low-intermediate yoga practitioners. Vytas does give some modifications, but to get the most out of this series, you need to be familiar and able to do many of the standard yoga poses.

Here's a summary of my impressions of each of the practices.

HIPS
I have mild osteoarthritis and bursitis in my hips. In spite of lots of stretching, my hips are very tight. This practice has helped to open up my hips.

CORE
I dislike core work, but I do it anyway because of the great things it does for my core. A note here: you are spending a lot of time on your wrists, so this could aggravate them. I place my hands on hexagon dumbbells to take some of the pressure off my wrists.

INVERSIONS
I was afraid to try this practice, but I am so glad I did. Yes the focus is on inversions, but you spend maybe 10 minutes out of the hour actually doing inversions. I felt so strong and accomplished after finishing this workout. For several weeks, I couldn't even attempt a hand stand. I would just stay in downward dog.
This practice embodies what yoga is all about; it's the journey, not the end result. Even attempting inversions is good.

TWISTS
I have had some medical issues, so I've had to take some pretty heavy duty painkillers. They were necessary, but I wanted to get them out of my system as quickly as possible. This twisting class is perfect for that, since it is a great detoxing practice.

GENTLE PRACTICE
Well yes, it is somewhat gentle, but your results will be wonderful. I feel super relaxed after doing this workout.

The main practice is about an hour, but there is also a 20 minute Gentle practice on the DVD as well.

INTERMEDIATE PRACTICE
I love this routine when I want a challenge, but not a super challenge. It is very different from the Gentle Practice.

The main routine is about an hour, but there is also a 20 minute Intermediate practice on the DVD.

ADVANCED PRACTICE
I'll admit it, I was nervous about trying this routine since I thought it would be too hard for me and I would get frustrated. Well, I am surprised and happy to say that this is my favorite of all the routines!

Sure there are advanced poses like head stands, but Vytas leads you into these with easier moves. I stayed with the easier moves and still got a fabulous workout.

The main practice is about 67 minutes, but there is also a 20 minute Advanced practice on the DVD.

I highly recommend this set for anyone wanting to go further into their yoga practice. Each DVD is different, yet they all make me feel so wonderful after I'm done.

Puffs Softpack Basic Facial Tissues; 1 Softpack; 132 Tissues Per Pack (Pack of 9)
Price: $18.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew tissues could be so cool?, September 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'll admit it, I was somewhat skeptical about this product. I mean, really, a tissue is a tissue is a tissue, right? It reminded me of all the nonsense they do now with toothbrushes.

Alas, this product arrived and I was intrigued from the start.

Why I liked this product:

* You get a package of 12 boxes. This should last me for a while.

* The tissues are really nice and soft. I must admit, I usually use another brand of tissues, beginning with a "K" and ending with an "x." But, these are much softer, which is a very good thing when you have a cold and need to blow your nose a lot.

* The squishy soft package is good to go anywhere. Plus, since it is plastic, it won't get all wet and mushy.

The two minor annoyances with this product are:

* The ugly packaging. All my tissues came in the same type of package, kind of grey and white squiggly striped pattern, which doesn't go with anything in my house. But, it is of no mind since it doesn't matter what they look like when they in my car.

* I have never seen these in a store; currently, it looks like the only place you can get these is online.

These annoyances aren't enough to stop me from liking these tissues.

If you need tissues, you might just want to try these.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20