Profile for Nancy Loderick > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2083

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nancy Loderick "Internet strategist" RSS Feed (Boston, MA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Puffs Softpack Basic Facial Tissues; 1 Softpack; 132 Tissues Per Pack (Pack of 9)
Price: $18.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew tissues could be so cool?, September 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'll admit it, I was somewhat skeptical about this product. I mean, really, a tissue is a tissue is a tissue, right? It reminded me of all the nonsense they do now with toothbrushes.

Alas, this product arrived and I was intrigued from the start.

Why I liked this product:

* You get a package of 12 boxes. This should last me for a while.

* The tissues are really nice and soft. I must admit, I usually use another brand of tissues, beginning with a "K" and ending with an "x." But, these are much softer, which is a very good thing when you have a cold and need to blow your nose a lot.

* The squishy soft package is good to go anywhere. Plus, since it is plastic, it won't get all wet and mushy.

The two minor annoyances with this product are:

* The ugly packaging. All my tissues came in the same type of package, kind of grey and white squiggly striped pattern, which doesn't go with anything in my house. But, it is of no mind since it doesn't matter what they look like when they in my car.

* I have never seen these in a store; currently, it looks like the only place you can get these is online.

These annoyances aren't enough to stop me from liking these tissues.

If you need tissues, you might just want to try these.

Tony Horton's P90X3 Base Kit - DVD Workout
Tony Horton's P90X3 Base Kit - DVD Workout
Offered by Beachbody
Price: $139.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional fitness meets weight training, September 11, 2014
Is it possible to fall in love with a workout series? In a word, yes. I am an advanced exerciser who has completed several rounds of P90X and P90X2. I have also completed Insanity and both volumes of Asylum. I love intense weight training, but I love intense functional fitness training even more. I loved P90X2. I love P90X3 even more. I love how functional fitness works both my body and my mind. It also helps with balance and coordination. I get it all, plus I don't get bored.

I approached these workouts with some trepidation since I prefer to work out for at least an hour a day. How could I possibly get fit and strong with only 30 minutes, give or take? Well, it IS possible. I also changed my attitude and decided to give it my absolute all during the 30 minutes. I finished each workout with my heart pounding and drenched in sweat. Yes!

Others have given some great details about the workouts, so I'm going to chronicle my personal journey. I was in pretty good shape before starting this rotation, having just come off an intense 6 month barre rotation.

I workout at 4:30 am, so I definitely need the cold start warm-ups. I also made sure to do the 2-3 minute extra cool down at the end. So my workout times were about 45 minutes.

LESSONS LEARNED:
* This is enough of a workout. I thought I would supplement this with some intense barre classes. I was okay for the first few days but then I realized that I was overtraining. Now, I supplement with kundalini yoga if I want to work out longer.

* It is all about the food. I've heard it said, "You can't outrun a bad diet." I especially like the nutrition guide that comes with P90X3 since it gives general guidelines and not a strict eating plan. I'm not good, nor do I have the time for following complicated recipes or food combinations.

* Give it your all for the 30 minutes. Once I started doing this, I really felt the "magic" of this series.

RESULTS:
I am in the middle of Phase II of the Classic Rotation. I am a bit disappointed in my results. Since starting Phase II I have gained a few pounds. I am really hoping it's just my muscles retaining water since there is more weight work in Phase II. I will stick it out. On the plus side, I am loving the variety in this series. I am also pleasantly surprised that my balance is getting better, plus the core moves are getting easier.

TOTAL SYNERGISTICS
I love how this workout uses all muscle groups in compound movements. You only repeat each exercise once, so if you don't like something, say "crawly plyo pushups," it will be over before you know it.

AGILITY X
This was the hardest workout in the bunch for me. I'm not very good at this agility stuff. I must admit that several times, I was just standing there, glaring at Tony and swearing. This is a workout that I will definitely work at. I hate it, but I LOVE how it works my body in new and different ways. This is why I found P90X2 so effective. I strongly recommend using the tape and marking it with x'es.

THE CHALLENGE
Nothing but pushups and pull ups. These are the two exercises that I dislike the most. I dislike them, yet I keep doing them because they are so effective for building strength and for changing my body. Tony mixes things up by doing variations, e.g. chin ups, vaulter pull ups, military pushups, wide angle pushups. I love how he mixes a hard pull-up with an easier pushup and vice versa.

X3 YOGA
This workout didn't seem like yoga to me; perhaps because it moved so quickly. I am more used to slower flowing yoga. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because I felt great after doing the routine. To me, this workout was more of a dynamic stretch workout that just happened to use yoga moves. I didn't think it was all that hard, but then again I'm a high intermediate yoga person. Of course, I couldn't do the crow pose, nor will I ever be able to do this pose. This workout will appeal to those who don't care for yoga and also don't want to spend an hour doing something they don't care for.

CVX
This workout is the cure for cardio boredom. Tony is even goofier than ever, if that's possible. I happen to love his quips because it distracts me from the `pain' of the workouts. I was snorting at his comment about playing the piano while doing a twist and pivot. (So you had to be there....)

This is nonstop movement with weights. When Traci Morrow states that she'll be using 5 pounds, I'm thinking that I'll use 10 pounds. Oops, I quickly dropped down to 3 pounds and my heart was pounding.

Tony keeps you moving with no downtime. He explains the move while you're doing it. It can be a little frustrating the first few times you do the workout, but then it's fine.

THE WARRIOR
I feel strong like a warrior after I've completed this workout. Tony designed this program to use in military bases around the world and it uses minimal equipment. You do an upper body move, a core move and then an explosive plyo move. It's not super, super hard, but the placement of this in the rotations, your muscles may be sore or recovering from another hard workout.

ISOMETRIX
This was my least favorite of the workouts because this was the hardest for me. Tony said it best, "it's the hardest part of yoga." You are holding the balance poses for 45 seconds, which seems like an eternity. In usual yoga classes, you are holding the poses for a few seconds. This is very challenging. You alternate between a standing balance pose, like warrior 3, and a plank pose, like one arm sphinx. What doesn't kill you can make you stronger, right?

DYNAMIX
Finally, I have found a fun dynamic stretch workout. I had been doing yoga for my stretching, but even the vinyasa yoga was slow moving. Not so with this workout. Bring on those zombie moves! These moves involve keeping your body somewhat stiff and straight, while raising alternate legs to the front. Who says you can't have fun while working out? Tony has the ugliest pair of shorts I have ever seen; they are blue and white horizontal stripes. I couldn't help but smile when I see them.

I must admit this is my favorite of all the P90X3 workouts. I reach for it frequently, even when it's not on the schedule.

ACCELERATOR
I mistakenly thought this would be an easier workout, since it was scheduled during the transition week. Wrong! It is best described as Boot Camp, P90X3 style. The first 15 minutes weren't too, too bad; it reminded me of P90X Interval X. The last 15 minutes were torture, I mean tough. The good thing about this workout is that each move is only 1 minute and no move is repeated.

PILATES X
If Tony can try Pilates, then anyone can! It's a hoot watching him do the moves, especially the pretzel combination. I have to give the guy a lot of credit for doing this type of workout. I really felt this workout in my core. The moves in the second half of the workout are tough! I had to modify even what the modifier was doing. The toughest moves for me included: scissor side plank, sphinx flag and clam killer. The clam killer just about killed me! Hah, and I thought I was an advanced exerciser.

INCINERATOR
Oh no, more pull-ups and pushups! This routine was especially challenging since I was suffering from severe tendonitis in my thumb, so I had to modify the heck out of the pushups. I like the variety of moves for working your back, chest, biceps and triceps.

TRIOMETRICS
I don't exactly consider this plyometrics. It's more like P90X2 balance moves meet jumping. During the first 15 minutes of this workout, I'm thinking, "This isn't so bad. This will be good to do as a second workout." Then all of a sudden, HELLO. Doing those balance moves quickly is a true balance test.

MMX
This is a mixed martial arts routine and another non-stop routine. As usual, Tony doesn't spend much time explaining a move; he just jumps right into it. After you've done the work out a few times, you don't need an explanation. I love how my heart rate gets up but I'm not doing any high impact.

ECCENTRIC UPPER
This is more like the classic P90X weight training and I enjoyed it. I am suffering from tendonitis in my hand so I had to modify the pushups; I did chest presses and flies on a stability ball instead.

ECCENTRIC LOWER
Finally a good leg workout for P90X! My one complaint about all the X series is that there isn't enough pure leg work. I think it's because men aren't as interested in working their legs as women are.

I love leg weight work! This was one tough workout. I still have trouble with the one legged squats.

DECELERATOR
This is scheduled for Phase III, so I have yet to experience this workout. I will update my impressions once I've reached that place in my rotation.

COLD START
I typically workout at 4:30 am, so I definitely need the extra warm-up this provides. I don't really care for Tony yawning since it makes me yawn and feel tired. Aside from that, I loved how these gentle movements helped my joints.

A final note of caution; there is a lot of plank and shoulder work in this series, so if you have any wrist, elbow or shoulder injuries you need to be careful.

Overall, I really liked this series and I especially loved the variety it offers.

Biolage by Matrix Color Care Shampoo 33.8 Ounces
Biolage by Matrix Color Care Shampoo 33.8 Ounces
Price: $25.13
29 used & new from $15.85

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a gentle shampoo that really cleans my hair!, September 11, 2014
I guess you could say that I am vain, since I like have blonde highlights in my hair. If I didn't do this, my hair would be a really dull and ugly shade of light brown. It's an investment to go to a salon and have the highlights done every few months, so I want to keep my hair looking good as long as I can. I've tried other supposed color safe shampoos and all they did was leave my hair limp and not very clean. This product is different.

Why I love this product:
* It's gentle on my hair, yet it really cleans it!
* The delicious smell. I am reminded of being at my hair salon whenever I use this, since this is the product that my salon uses.
* My hair looks so nice and shiny and bright after I use it.

If you are looking for an effective product that is also great for color-treated hair, you may just like this.

Lactic Acid 10% Gel Peel Exfoliant Anti-Aging Serum - Naturally Derived From Soy (Professional Chemical Peel Kit) Facelift in a Bottle Plumps Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Price: $22.95
2 used & new from $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle, natural way to brighten your face, August 17, 2014
I used to love to get facial peels at a salon, but my budget doesn't allow for that these days. I was happy to come across this product that is a peel you can do at home.
It is strongly recommended that you use the ReFresh Rose Glow Cleanser in preparation for the peel. You should also follow up the peel with ReFresh Hyaluronic Acid Cream as a moisturizer.

Why I like this product:

* It works, yet it is gentle on dry skin. I didn't feel any stinging or dryness after using this product.
* You only have to leave it on for 1-3 minutes.
* The natural ingredients. The lactic acid is naturally derived from soy beans.

Since this product contains Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA), you should be careful in the sun. AHA can increase your skin's sensitivity to sun, so you should always wear a highly protective sunscreen after using this.

If you want to gently brighten your face, you will enjoy this product.

* I received a free sample for testing and review.

Hydrating Rose Glow Gel Deep Facial Cleanser (Professional Pre-Peel Cleanser) Enhanced with Rose Hip Seed Oil and Kumquat Oil Castile Soap 4 fl oz.
Price: $14.95
2 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice gentle cleanser for your face, August 17, 2014
As I have gotten older, my skin has become drier and it has been a challenge to find effective facial cleansers. I am happy to report that this product is very effective, yet gentle on my skin.
The best way to use this product is as a preparation for a facial peel. It helps prepare restores the skin's pH balance.

Why I like this product:

* It works. After using this, in combination with the Facial Peel and Moisturizer, my skin was noticeably brighter.
* It's effective, yet gentle. My face didn't sting or feel dry after using this.
* The natural ingredients. Some of the ingredients include: olive oil, rose hips seed oil, and Seaweed extract.

If you are looking for a product that will gently cleanse your face, you will enjoy this.

* I was provided a free sample for testing and review.

Hyaluronic Pure Moisturizing Cream (Post-peel Repair and Restore) Enhanced with Squalane and Botanical Extracts
Price: $21.95
2 used & new from $21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice way to moisturize your face, August 17, 2014
As I've gotten older, my skin has become drier and it has been a challenge to find an effective skin moisturizer. They are either too greasy, or don't moisturize. This product is a nice way to moisturize your face.

For best results, you should use this product in conjunction with a gentle cleanser and skin peel.

Why I love this product:

* It's effective. My skin feels moisturized, but not greasy.
* The natural ingredients. Some of the ingredients include: Jojoba Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, and Hyaluronic Acid.

If you are looking for a nice moisturizer for your face, this may be just the thing for you.

* I received a free sample of this product for testing and review.

Shakti Sweat
Shakti Sweat
DVD ~ Andrew Gallery
2 used & new from $58.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful work for your body and your mind, August 17, 2014
This review is from: Shakti Sweat (DVD)
I fell in love with the first Buti series, BUTI Join the Revolution, I was very excited when this series came out.

This series contains 3 DVDs:
* I am Fierce (45 minutes)
* I am Strong (60 minutes)
* I am Awakened (75 minutes).

Each DVD also has:
* Chakra toning sequences (1-7)
* Chakra Awakening sequence.

I must admit that the first few times I did these work outs, I didn't care for them as much as the original Transformation series. It is just Bizzie working out in a rather dark set. But you know what, after awhile, I began to love these workouts! The set really made me focus on the workout and exactly which muscle and chakra I was working.

Why I love these workouts:

* They're challenging for both my body and my mind. I can't move my hips nearly as quickly as Bizzie, nor can I do the multiple moves, like drop and shake, as quickly. But I am having a blast trying to do so.

* How I feel afterwards. No matter if I was tired or out or sorts or under the weather when I started one of these workouts, but the time I was finished, I felt awesome and on top of the world.

* The versatility. I love having the chakra sequences to work through. They are short, sweet and simple to work through. I haven't yet followed Bizzie's suggested rotation, I am using these workouts as part of my regular exercise routine and so I pick a workout that reflects how I want to feel that day.

* It's not just about the workouts. Bizzie believes in empowering women and she does a lot to make that happen. She has diet plans, as well as a very active Facebook group.

A few things to note about these workouts:

* They are not for beginners. Bizzie does a fabulous job of stressing good form, but she moves very quickly from one move to the next. There is less stretching/rest between active moves than there is in the Transformation series. If you are intrigued and want to try Buti, I would suggest starting with her first series.

* Several of the poses on very advanced, like crow and others. I am not even close to doing these moves, but I do something.

Even if you don't buy into the chakra thing, you can enjoy these workouts. You just feel so fabulous after you're done.

BUTI Join the Revolution
BUTI Join the Revolution
DVD ~ Bizzie Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my gosh - yoga love!, August 17, 2014
This review is from: BUTI Join the Revolution (DVD)
I haven't been this excited about an exercise routine since I don't know when. And, I am a person who loves to exercise. I do intense cardio, weight training and yoga. I enjoy Power Yoga and Kundalini Yoga.

It was love at first sight when I tried this series.

The Transformation Series consists of:

*FEEL (25 minutes)
This is the introduction to Buti yoga moves. Don't be fooled, this is not a beginner workout! The pace is quick and you will be floating by the end.

*THINK (45 minutes)
This one has a bit more cardio.

LOOK (60 minutes)
You will further work on cardio and strength.

Each workout also includes the add ons:

*Buti Lower Body (3 minutes)
*Buti Upper Body (3 minutes)
*Buti Abs (3 minutes).

Yes, these are some tough workout add ons! Think high intensity training with a yoga twist. Bizzie suggests you do them 4 times through. I am working my way up to that.

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THESE WORKOUTS

Miss Bizzie moves very quickly and that took some getting used to, since I was more used to the slower, flowing pace of Vinyasa yoga. All the hip shaking and core movement is tough too. I laugh every time she tells us to do the Buti shake. I am doing more of a spastic twitch, but I do feel my core working.

Bizzie and her workout crew smile a lot during the workout and they look as though they are all really enjoying themselves. I can't help but smile too.
I love how you do an intense move, but then slow down and do some stretching. My hips are typically very tight and I can feel them getting looser, each time I do one of these workouts.

If you are looking for a fun, new way to workout, you should try these!

Dream Body Workout Series 5 DVD Set
Dream Body Workout Series 5 DVD Set
4 used & new from $85.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough workouts that will really challenge you, August 6, 2014
I love intense exercise, but after years of pounding my joints, I can no longer do all the jumping up and down that I used to do. I still love to challenge my body and these Dream Cardio workouts do that perfectly.

Why I love these workouts:

* They are tough! My heart rate gets up there. As a matter of fact, it's as high as when I was jumping up and down like a maniac.

* The new exercises. I have been working out for years, doing heavy weight training, intense cardio and functional fitness. This has been getting old. Let's face it; there are only so many ways you do a bicep curl or a burpee. This series has lots of exercises that I have never seen, so it's a lot of fun.

* I never get bored. I alternate the workouts so there is never a dull moment.

* There is no down time in the workouts. While I know that form is critical, I have no patience for instructors who go on and on and on about form. Just get to the exercise already. This being said, I am meticulous about my form.

* They provide room to grow. Although I consider myself an advanced exerciser, I couldn't keep up with the workouts. I was going about half time to the pace of the workouts.

* All the instructors give a final countdown for each exercise. I am usually dying after the first rep, so it's nice to know that the end of that particular pain, I mean, exercise is coming.

*The cool down stretches are wonderful. It's funny because I feel they skimped on the warm up, but paid a lot of time and attention to the cool down stretches.

There are four things to note about the workouts:

* The pace is manic. I happen to love the pace because it feeds my energy. I wouldn't recommend these workouts for beginners since you may be moving too quickly and your form may suffer. As it was, they were almost one quarter through the next exercise and I was still getting myself set up for that exercise.

* There is no warm-up per se. I work out at 4:30 am and cannot jump into workouts like these, low impact or not. I do a 15 minute light cardio warm-up, using the warm up from a Cathe Friedrich or Amy Bento workout.

* There is no mirror cuing, which makes it a challenge to follow the moves. Most of the time I am using the opposite side than they are, so that I am doing a mirror image of them.

*These aren't for beginners, even though a modifier is showing an easier version of the moves. Even the easier version is hard! I found I could keep up better after completing a 6 month intense barre rotation. My core and my upper body were stronger from this so I was able to do the moves.

My impressions of each workout are as follows:

FUSION MIX with Darby (60 minutes)

This reminded me of a Physique 57 workout on steroids. I thought Tanya Becker was a fast talker, but Darby has her beat. This didn't bother me since I loved the workout.
A stability ball is used for much of the workout. I substituted a 2 pound med ball since I workout in my basement with low ceilings and I can't put the stability ball over my head. You also need light, e.g. 2 pound weights. You work out barefoot.
The hardest exercise in this workout is when you are doing a deep plie squat and then you put one leg off to the opposite side. Needless to say, I couldn't even attempt this without falling over.
My favorite exercise in this workout is the ballet burpee. Basically, you're doing a burpee and when you jump up, you wrap your legs around each other and point your toes.

TABATA & TONING with Francie (45 minutes)

Ack, who knew tabatas without impact could be so hard? And with teeny tiny weights. I was excited, sort of, since I was able to use my cute little pink 1 pound weights. I had bought them as part of a set, but have never really used them since I was doing heavy weight training.

BARRE with Sadie (50 minutes - even though the DVD jacket says 60 minutes)

I love the fact that the first 25 minutes are devoted to upper body. Talk about a big burn! And you are only using 2 pound weights. Well, the Dream Body crew is using those, I had to drop to no weights and I still felt the burn.

BIKINI BOOTCAMP with Amy (60 minutes)

This is my least favorite of the workouts. I just didn't click with Amy as an instructor. I felt she was more of a distraction than a help. While she did provide good form pointers, she would illustrate a move at a completely different tempo and side than her background exercisers and this was very distracting.

Also, the modifier in this workout was on the right; while in all the other workouts, the modifier was on the left. Actually, this modifier didn't do much modifying; Amy had to keep reminding her.

FUSION with Brooke (45 minutes)

Think yoga, Pilates, barre and calisthenics done with plyo moves and light weights. The first 31 minutes use just the light weights. Then you move to an 11 minute routine with the stability and abs and legs. There is a well-deserved 4 minute stretch at the end. Equipment needed: light dumbbells, mat and stability ball.

If you are looking for some fast-paced workouts that will challenge you, this may just be the series for you!

VIVA VITAMIN C SERUM For Face-Anti Aging X Factor Combo Vitamin C + E And Hyaluronic Acid Lotion ★ HIGHLY RATED ★-Build Collagen And Elasticity-Hydrate-Tone-Smooth Lines & wrinkles - Skin Food C + E- Natural And Organic Facial Serum - For A Youthful Radiant Complexion 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
Offered by Pacific Rim 1001
Price: $79.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful vitamin serum for your face, August 6, 2014
I'm on a constant quest to find effective face products. As I have aged, I have more of an interest in keeping my skin looking as good as I can. I really like this Vitamin C Serum from Viva Natural Skin Care.

Why I like this product:

* It works. My skin is noticeable brighter and my fine lines aren't as noticeable.

* It's gentle on my skin. I have dry skin, so I have to be careful with what I put on my face.

* The quality ingredients. Some of the ingredients in this product include: Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E and Jojoba. All of these ingredients do good things for your skin.

* Stable serum. Because of the high quality ingredients, this product doesn't deteriorate over time.

One thing to note: if you have dry skin, you may not want to use this daily or in the colder months, since it might be too drying for your skin. I use it in the summer and also just every few days.

If you are looking for an effective Vitamin C serum, you will enjoy this product!

* I received a free sample of this product for testing and review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20