Profile for Austenparker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 64

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Austenparker "Life is too short to read bad books." RSS Feed (Well, where are YOU?)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Fekkai Essential Shea Conditioner 8 Fl Oz
Fekkai Essential Shea Conditioner 8 Fl Oz
Price: $17.17
23 used & new from $9.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistibly soft hair, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Another fantastic Fekkai product. This conditioner has rendered my hair very soft. Combined with the glossing shampoo, my hair is now almost irresistibly touchable. You know how strangers feel the need to rub pregnant women's bellies in public? That same effect can be yours - but for your hair - if you use this product. Ok, maybe not *quite* that dramatic, but this conditioner is extremely effective. It smells great, it's easy to use. A little bit goes a long way (which is a small blessing since I have longish hair.) The results are superb. I now can list "patting myself on the head" as a new past-time because my hair is now so soft and shiny. Like a puppy.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec [Director's Cut] (BluRay/DVD/Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Louise Bourgoin
Price: $18.68
24 used & new from $13.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful heroine makes for a charming movie, June 29, 2014
This is an adorable film. Think Amelie meets Indiana Jones. The effects are very good, the story line is interesting and the main character is completely charming. It's an old-fashioned adventure which the whole family can enjoy. I confess, I'm a fan of Luc Besson's and have loved all of his more mature works, but this is a quirky and fun addition to his oeuvre. Even my very picky parents enjoyed this film. My dad's favorite film is Raiders of the Lost Ark and he compared this film favorably with it. The one small caveat I would attach is that there is brief - very brief, blink-and-you'll-miss-it - exposure of female breasts. She's in the bath, that's about as scandalous as the film gets. It's not an overly violent film, it's just a rip-roaring good adventure with an interesting story line. And, yes, Virginia, there are subtitles. So, if you are completely averse to such movies, then you have been warned. Personally, I'd rather have subtitles than dubbing. Dubbing always makes me think of bad kung fu movies in the early 80s.

Mondo Bloxx 40 Piece Brick Block Set USA Made (Assorted Sizes)
Mondo Bloxx 40 Piece Brick Block Set USA Made (Assorted Sizes)
Offered by Karma Products LLC
Price: $35.00
2 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, fun, and versatile, June 29, 2014
These are awesome! My son is three and not quite 40 lbs. He stands on them, some of them have been dented, but they are really durable! Easy to assemble, the variety of sizes provides a nice mixture for creative play. We also bought a second set of mondoe - just the large red bricks - perfect for building a house for a three and five year old! They love building and knocking down. This toy is a sanity-saver for rainy days!

Whizard Handguard II Sm 1 each Whizard Cut Resistant Glove
Whizard Handguard II Sm 1 each Whizard Cut Resistant Glove
Offered by Safety4Home & Work
Price: $20.97
6 used & new from $14.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A klutz's salvation, June 29, 2014
I'm a klutz. Recently, I almost severed my thumb with a bread knife (the serrated one). What's a girl to do? Should I stop preparing meals because I may actually sacrifice a digit just to ensure that my family eats healthy foods? Or should I look about for a solution? As appealing as eating out for the rest of our lives may be (I'm a working mom, so you can imagine how tempting this can be), I thought, wouldn't it be nice if there were gloves which helped me retain my scarred phalanges?

After much research, I settled on this product, despite some of the negative comments. I have pretty small hands, so, even though this product is listed as a small, the glove is rather loose. Maybe it's small for a hefty, burly man's hands? The result is, the glove is very loose (probably half a size larger than I require), which can lead to awkwardness when attempting to stabilize something I wish to cut whilst simultaneously wielding a sharp implement. If you are planning to use this for precision cutting - keep looking. However, I've been using them to secure large vegetables and sizable cuts of meat, so it works fine. Also, I've used it when grating fennel, apples and cheese on my suicidally sharp grater - excellent results! The gloves are intact, as are my fingers and the apples, fennel and cheese have been roundly decimated by the grater.

Overall, this is a useful addition for anyone who wishes to retain their remaining fingers and avoid blood loss.

Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Shampoo 8 Fl Oz
Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Shampoo 8 Fl Oz
Price: $14.20
25 used & new from $11.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Shine bright like a diamond, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had used this product before as part of a set which included the conditioner & glossing cream. They all worked fabulously, but the steep price kept me from obtaining it again. Receiving it through the Vine program was a nice perk. I wanted to see if the glossing effect would still occur if I only used the shampoo and not the complementary products - I'm pleased to report that it does. After one use, my hair is so brilliantly shiny that I daren't leave the house on a sunny day without a hat. (Just kidding). It does produce a nice result - think movie-star gloss. No lie. I also don't over-wash my hair (unless I've perspired), and I don't perm or color my hair, so I don't know how that would affect the overall efficacy of the product. Basically, if you want a lovely, impressive sheen without mucking about with goopy additives, this product is well worth the splurge!

Fisher-Price Thomas The Train: Take n' Play Roaring Dino Run
Fisher-Price Thomas The Train: Take n' Play Roaring Dino Run
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Small flaws don't detract from overall enjoyment, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Being the parent of an avid Thomas fan, we have many, many Thomas the Tank Engine take-along sets. This one is about average with what one comes to expect from a play set designed to be moved about.

First, the good news:
1. It's decently well-made with the track pieces fitting together well and there isn't a bunch of those thing supports which accompany most of the elevated track sets (you know the ones which are easily lost for which there aren't any replacements available, rendering some of the sets unusable).
2. It's very easy to assemble with lots of pictures in the instructions which are easy to follow.

3. It folds up very easily for storage and/or transportation.

4. It has an OFF switch for the dinosaur noise (yay!).

Now the not so great:
1. There is no way (that we could find) of keeping the dinosaur's head elevated. Basically, it rests on the downward slope until the brown platform piece is lifted, enabling Thomas & his little cart (included) to career down the slope generally so fast that one if not both of the vehicles launch(es) off the track & need(s) to be placed back on the set. It would be nice if the head would stay up, but that's not part of the design. It's not a flaw, just a bit of a misrepresentation from the package.

2. The platform area is not long enough in the waiting area to accommodate Thomas and his cart, so it's a bit awkward to try to get them to travel down the ramp together - you need to lift the ramp and THEN position Thomas & his cart a few inches down the platform piece so that they are connected and able to roll down the slide together.

3. Not crazy about the trap door element. While neat in theory, you need to toggle the locking mechanism a bit (usually setting off the dinosaur roar), so not the easiest thing for a toddler to manipulate.

4. The little loose pieces - the extra fossil bones which are placed into the trap door area and subsequently carried by the little cart back to the museum for assembly. While maybe a good idea for a stationary piece, in a take-along set, it's just a matter of time before the pieces are lost.

Again, these aren't deal-breaking cons - It's well-made and fun, a nice creative addition to any Thomas lover's collection. All-in-all, my toddler is very satisfied with the toy, which is really what counts.

Clear Scalp and Hair Intense Hydration Nourishing Mask, 6 Ounce
Clear Scalp and Hair Intense Hydration Nourishing Mask, 6 Ounce
Price: $2.99
3 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Shiny hair? Check!, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose this item because I hoped that its hydrating properties would alleviate the itchy scalp issues I've experienced. For the latter purpose, it really didn't alleviate any of the itchiness, but that may have been an unreasonable expectation on my part. I will say, my hair is remarkably shiny after use of this product. It's easy to use - just wash your hair per your normal routine, rinse, then apply this mask while you continue your usual ablution rituals.

I'm not crazy about all the chemicals listed in the ingredients. I didn't find the scent to be overbearing. The only reason I took off one star was because of the amount of product I'd need to use if I were to incorporate this into my beauty routine on a regular basis. My hair is of a medium thickness and falls about 2 inches below my shoulders, so I end up using a lot of the tube (already half-way gone after 3 uses).

Overall, a very good product which does what it says it will.

Jouer Matte Moisture Tint, Nude, 1.7 fl. oz.
Jouer Matte Moisture Tint, Nude, 1.7 fl. oz.
Price: $38.00
2 used & new from $38.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, but no "wow", May 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice tinted moisturizer. I've used it for several weeks now and it's adequate - it provides light coverage for days when you don't want to use your normal foundation. I didn't notice the "shimmery" effect about which other reviewers complained. Overall, I found this product lacking in the wow factor. I confess I'm spoiled because I had a free sample of Kielhl's BB which is AWESOME, but oh-so-pricey! I've been looking for an alternative light-weight tinted moisturizer. While Jouer covers my needs in the interim, I'm going to keep looking.

Fantasy Fields - Happy Farm Barn Bookshelf
Fantasy Fields - Happy Farm Barn Bookshelf
Price: $135.52
11 used & new from $135.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, easy to assemble for even the most manually challenged, April 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a really nice bookshelf and relatively easy to assemble. I am not handy AT ALL, so it did take me 2 hours to assemble with the "help" of my three year old. The door part was the most difficult - really, that does require two people. Also, the nobs were challenging to screw in sufficiently to prevent them from continuing to turn (one of mine still does), but this doesn't really detract from the functionality of the product. As many other reviewers have stated, the bookshelves themselves are sturdy, perfect for holding your larger books. The "roof" is darling - a great area to store spare trains, action figures and sundry tchotchkes.It really brightens up your room and is a nice addition to a farm-themed room, or really any animal theme, if you want to be eclectic. The only complaint I had was that the paint smelled strongly for the first few days, but the odor dissipates after several days, so it's not a continuous problem. This shouldn't deter you from purchasing this well-made product, just be aware if you or your child are sensitive to strong odors, you may want to store this in a large open space until the smell fades.

I would highly recommend this product.

BRICA Deluxe Stay-in-Place Mirror for In Car Safety
BRICA Deluxe Stay-in-Place Mirror for In Car Safety
Price: $8.99
4 used & new from $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Durable mirror, slight flaw, March 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We received this about a month ago - it has proven to be very durable and lends itself to a few options - my partner is taller and prefers to clip the supplementary mirror to the passenger side mirror, while I'm short & generally like to clip it to the driver's side mirror. It offers a clear picture of my toddler, which is always a hoot for him. Although it's not perfect, (my sister has a small mirror which clips under the rear-view mirror which I think is easier to use),it's still very good for the purpose it's designed for. We've moved its placement several times and it still retains its solid grip which bespeaks decent craftsmanship. The only problem I really have is that it's in the line-of sight for anyone over average height, making it somewhat annoying, but it's a reasonably useful item.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7