Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for E. K. Collins > Reviews

Browse

E. K. Collins' Profile

Customer Reviews: 95

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. K. Collins RSS Feed (Idaho)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Girl in the Gatehouse
The Girl in the Gatehouse
by Julie Klassen
Price: $9.17
104 used & new from $1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth 6 stars!, September 29, 2011
After reading this FABULOUS book I had to read more by Julie Klassen- that is how good this book is!! I read everything our local library had that she wrote. I do like the other books but this one is still my favorite. I like Julie Klassen's writing style. The whole entire book was full of mystery and intrigue. I found all the characters to be believable and realistic. No matter what my review says I do not think I could give this book justice. I found myself wondering what I would do in Mariah's situation- trying to support herself and her servant/friend with no support from home. She is literally an outcast of her own family. She has a secret that you think you might know what it is but the turn of events keeps you guessing until the last moment. Thank you Julie Klassen for sharing your talent with your readers!!

Hidden Affections
Hidden Affections
by Delia Parr
83 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars too many mistakes, September 28, 2011
This review is from: Hidden Affections (Paperback)
The plot sounds fun doesn't it? It is too bad the book does not live up to the review. I cringe every time I read an error in a book- really people how many people read the draft before it is published can you not get it right? Errors for me at least take away the enjoyment of the book. This book also had no depth to the characters- it really seemed as if part of the book was missing and not just the end or beginning but pages here and there. As a reader we are told what the characters did to fall in love but we did not actually see it played out. There were several times I had to go back a few pages to reread something because it did not fit.
While I really liked the idea of the book, I must say I did not like the finished book.

Promises to Keep
Promises to Keep
by Ann Tatlock
41 used & new from $1.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not like, September 28, 2011
This review is from: Promises to Keep (Paperback)
This was a really weird book. I did not like it at all. If I could give it 0 stars I would. It was not realistic, it gave me a creepy feeling- I really did not want to finish it but I figured I would give it the benefit of the doubt and hoped it would get better- sorry no chance. I wish I could get those few hours I spent reading this back. I felt that that the book was predictable and poorly written.

Amish Values for Your Family: What We Can Learn from the Simple Life
Amish Values for Your Family: What We Can Learn from the Simple Life
by Suzanne Woods Fisher
Price: $12.99
81 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST read for EVERY family!!!, September 28, 2011
I really like this one. I think every family in this crazy busy world needs to read this. There are stories of the Amish- but also ideas at the end of each story on how to make a simpler more satisfying family life. There is something in here for everyone. It has made me realize how busy we are- running from here there to everywhere. I need to remember to stop and smell the roses and play with my kiddos. Values are sometimes forgotten in our busy lives- a child asks why they should not steal and we say because it is against the law- is that really the reason? Sometimes we forget to instill values into our children so that they can become good citizens later in life. I really feel this book hits the nail on the head- Amish values can be used in my family- can they in yours too?

Amish Prayers: Heartfelt Expressions of Humility, Gratitude, and Devotion
Amish Prayers: Heartfelt Expressions of Humility, Gratitude, and Devotion
by Beverly Lewis
43 used & new from $0.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my style., September 28, 2011
I really enjoy reading books about the Amish way of life- fiction or nonfiction. I chose this book for that very reason. However I had a hard time reading it. I believe that prayers need to come from the heart- not from a book to be read and memorized. I think it might be a good devotional or something to read each day- but not to use as a prayer book- of course if you believe otherwise this might be a good fit for you.

The Blessed: A Novel
The Blessed: A Novel
by Ann H. Gabhart
Price: $17.00
164 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre book, September 28, 2011
This review is from: The Blessed: A Novel (Paperback)
Ann Gabhart poignantly shares this story of heartache and finding real love. I must say that I found the book bizarre in places- like Lacey having to marry the priest and then the priest deciding to leave his Christian faith and join the Shakers. The Shakers are an odd lot as well, there are no families just single people living together, they also believed that marriage was a sin and intimate relations between men and women were evil. The odd Shaker ways were quite bizarre as well- constantly working, separated from the opposite sex, spiritual dancing, and having your body be taken over by someone from beyond the grave. I found myself thinking, "Why does she just leave?" Then I realize the time period and how women could not just leave and find their own way.

then there is Isaac. His beloved bride dies and her father turns on him- he has to escape- and where to? The Shakers. He does not believe in their doctrine- he just needs food and shelter. He finds himself watching Lacey- what will happen in the end?

Can Lacey ever be free from the priest she is lawfully wedded to? Will she be able to bring her child with her? How will she make it? You want the answers to these questions? Guess you got to go and read this book for yourself!

Double Take: A Novel
Double Take: A Novel
by Melody Carlson
Price: $9.99
112 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally Far Fetched!!, September 28, 2011
This review is from: Double Take: A Novel (Paperback)
While I really like to read novels about the Amish- this was not one of them. This book was so far fetched that it was hard to read. The only reason I finished the book was because I needed to write this review. Yes, I know that this was geared more to the youth, but it was so hard to believe that I could not get past it. These two girls change places because they look alike. One of them is a quiet Amish girl and the other is a rich girl from New York city.
First of all, the Amish speak a dialect of German when communicating amongst themselves- so how did a girl, Madison, from New York get past this? She said she had a terrible accident and forgot the language that children learn from babyhood. They do not learn English until they start school so why would she not remember that and forget English? She also did not know how to cook, clean, or do anything the Amish do. While the Amish girl, Anne, is thrown into New York-she is not doing any better. She does not know how to use the cell phone, she has a maid/housekeeper/cook, but starts cleaning and cooking on her own. The only people who find out are the Aunt and the girls friend. It really is fiction. The one redeeming quality is that it has a moral- the grass is NOT green on the other side. It does have some funny parts too.
Don't take my word for it though- read it yourself!

Lancaster County Christmas, A
Lancaster County Christmas, A
by Suzanne Woods Fisher
132 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Amish Novel, September 28, 2011
I have read many novels with the characters being Amish, and most are really good, however this book blew me out of the water! I loved how unique this book turned out to be. One couple, Amish, the other "English" and neither are wanting to become Amish or English- they want to stay what they are. But, they are brought together and must share Christmas together. They become friends, confidants if you will.

I have struggled with secondary infertility and I understood what Mattie was going through- actually gave me a bit of a spiritual perspective.

I love how there were two couples so drastically different being able to become friends. Most of the Amish books I have read are about seeking love- sometimes in the unforbidden world of the English or in the strict Amish community- this was very refreshing and I loved it!

Angel Sister: A Novel
Angel Sister: A Novel
by Ann H. Gabhart
Price: $14.02
179 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could get my time back I used to read this., April 20, 2011
This review is from: Angel Sister: A Novel (Paperback)
I found this book to be slow, boring and just poorly written. After reading it, I wished I had those few hours back to do something else. I was disappointed in the fact that it was published at all. I could see this as a rough draft but not a final draft. I felt I did not get anything out of the book. A girl is abandoned on the steps of a church and her parents left no note or contact information. The little girl looks to Kate, the girl who finds her, to protect her. The girl is moved to a home of an older couple who never had children and locks her in a dark pantry for punishment. Kate breaks in and gets the little girl out. The girl got in trouble for not letting the lady call her a different name. There are too many micro stories going on and in the end it fell flat. But, of course do not take my word for it- read other reviews. I just can not give a good review to this book.

Stars Collide: A Novel (Backstage Pass)
Stars Collide: A Novel (Backstage Pass)
by Janice Thompson
102 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED it!!, February 17, 2011
Another book by one of my favorite authors, Janice Thompson! I love her fun and sassy writing style- it makes me laugh and ponder at the same time! Janice has so much talent! I make myself read slower otherwise I would read it in one night!

Such a hillarious book! I just love Grandma- she is seriously funny! Want a fun, upbeat, light read? You gotta RUN and buy this one!

I have a feeling there will be a sequel to this one (or is that wishful thinking?).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10