Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Learn more
Profile for James Horn > Reviews

Browse

James Horn's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James Horn "Jim Horn, WB9SYN" RSS Feed (Columbia River Gorge)

Page: 1 | 2
ePartSolution-Lot of 3 Samsung Galaxy S3 III Note Note 2 II Power Volume Switch Button 4mm Replacement Part USA Seller
Offered by BargainPricesHere
Price: $2.98
9 used & new from $1.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't recommend trying to save a few dollars and end up ..., July 5, 2014
These arrived very quickly - and five of them, to boot. A friend's Galaxy S3 power switch was failing with it being 'on' all the time, making the phone impossible to use. A quick disassembly (thank you, iFixit!), desoldering and replacement with one of these brought it back to health. Now it works and I have four spares if my S3 or others should fail.

All that said, this is a difficult fix as the switch is very small. I've dealt with 0402 surface mount parts for years but this is more of a challenge, especially as two small posts on the bottom are through-hole. But the circuit board holes are so small in diameter and heat sinked to internal planes that getting the solder out of them is nearly impossible, even with professional grade equipment. I finally resorted to drilling them out with a proper sized bit (another specialty item). So, unless you're really sure of your miniature electronic component rework equipment and skills (i.e. can handle just about anything out there today), I wouldn't recommend trying to save a few dollars and end up ruining an expensive phone. But if you're up to it, these are great!

Insten® Tri-Wing / Cross Wing Magnetic Screwdriver Set
Insten® Tri-Wing / Cross Wing Magnetic Screwdriver Set
Offered by Orient Mall
Price: $3.26
3 used & new from $3.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for Aria repairs, September 18, 2013
These arrived in a little over a week, versus the far longer prediction. As a replacement phone screen came quickly, I ended up buying a tri-wing driver locally for $20 just so I could get my phone working again. Of course, these arrived the next day.

Not fancy but inexpensive, capable and well worth it. Thanks!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine., September 18, 2013
This arrived in days. The challenges in doing the replacement are well known - tiny parts, some easy to lose or poorly documented such as the proximity detector rubber surround, etc. But none of that is the fault of this product.

I successfully replaced my smashed Aria screen with this and it's worked very well since. Five stars.

Cautions, of course: If you're not well experienced with microcircuit assembly, ESD, and so forth, don't even try doing this. You will also have to have a tri-wing driver and proper adhesive, both available via Amazon and other sources. Otherwise your efforts will be fruitless.

Some others may have had some success in reusing the existing adhesive but if you are getting one of these, you probably have a smashed screen and removing the myriad pieces will badly damage the adhesive your Aria has, requiring its replacement. And trying to kludge the tri-wing screw removal will only damage them - they're not terribly hard. So do it right.

In all, worth my time and trouble - about $25 out-of-pocket for all versus over $100 at a shop hours away. Great!

All About Telescopes (Popular Optics Library). Edmund Scientific (ES). [Paperback]
by Sam Brown
22 used & new from $19.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless treasure, April 9, 2013
Back in the '60s and '70s I bought most of the Sam Brown booklets from Edmund Scientific along with a 6 inch mirror grinding kit. Heady stuff for a 14 year old to take on single handed, but tremendously educational in ways that still help me in my job. Of course, technology marches on and the Dobsonian revolution has superseded much of what is in here. But the basics are still good to know. I still have the booklets but having all this in a single volume in good shape is a great resource at work. I've recommended it to younger engineers who have used portions as an introduction to optics and imaging.

Highly recommended.

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
DVD ~ Stuart Whitman
Price: $9.05
64 used & new from $3.26

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remembered..., April 9, 2013
My dad took us as kids to see this back when it was first made. Unlike many other films seen later as an adult, I found this DVD to be thoroughly enjoyable. My 11 year old daughter and I still get a big kick out of it. Great fun!

The Art of Raising a Puppy (Revised Edition)
The Art of Raising a Puppy (Revised Edition)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, April 9, 2013
This is an easy to read book with remarkable depth and coverage. I highly recommend it for anyone considering bringing a puppy into their lives.

Genuine 8T533 Dell Latitude D400 6-Cell 42WH, Li-ion 11.1V Laptop/Notebook Battery, Compatible Dell Part Numbers: U0521, 9T255, 0U003, W0628, X0362, X0363, Y0175, 6T087, 6T216, 6T751, 7T534, 8T016, 8T063, 8T531, 8T533, 9T119, 9T540, 9T543, 8T0804, H0769, Compatible Dell Model Numbers: 312-0078, 312-0095, 312-009, 451-10142, 312-0078, 451-10141
Offered by Parts-Dell
Price: $11.90
11 used & new from $11.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine battery, outstanding price, January 17, 2013
My original D400 battery was failing with only about 30 to 40 minutes run time per charge. With Dell factory replacments costing over US$150, I took a chance with this one.

Two years later it is still going strong - better performance than the original at that age. And at 20% of the price, it is incredibly cost effective. Highly recommended!

The Complete Sherlock Holmes: with an introduction from Robert Ryan
The Complete Sherlock Holmes: with an introduction from Robert Ryan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection - with minor errors, January 17, 2013
Having all nine Sherlock Holmes books in a single volume is a convenient way to read them. And as a free Kindle download, you can't beat the price and convenience!

The only faults I can find are that the graphics are missing (the Dancing Men cypher, maps of various locations and such which are part of the stories are replaced by a simple "GRAPHIC" notation). There are a few minor transcription typo errors as well, but nothing that led to not understanding the stories.

I've always wondered about these stories since reading a few in my school days many decades ago. They were a very pleasant read on my tablet using the Kindle software. I do recommend this.

Pair Of Replacement Corner Light Assemblies
Pair Of Replacement Corner Light Assemblies
Offered by EPIC LIGHTING
Price: $32.81
6 used & new from $22.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb replacement, December 2, 2012
When my right front corner light was smashed while sliding on black ice, I expected to have to pay a king's ransom to replace it. However, these were inexpensive enough to be worth ordering as a pair. They fit perfectly, look like the originals should have, and work well. They only have the downside that now my headlights look terrible in comparison.

Highly recommended!

My Brother Ron: A Personal and Social History of the Deinstitutionalization of the Mentally Ill
Price: $1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, heartfelt, factual and solid, August 9, 2012
For years after I came to California in the 1970, I was stunned by the homeless situation. When I asked, the common reply was that Governor Reagan threw the patients out of the mental institutions to save money. There was plenty of finger pointing but little action.

This book delves deeply into the myriad causes of the problem. Instead of taking the easy route of blaming political factions, Clayton has dug deep into primary sources to find out where we are and how we got here. The results are not at all what I expected. Rather than dry facts or baseless opinion, the story he weaves is far wider and deeper than others I've read.

I have had the privledge of working with Clayton for a year. While he is a fine software engineer who has created world class telecommunications systems (a field in which lives are literally on the line), his passion, thoroughness of research and ability to make the results understandable and fascinating is very rare.

"My Brother Ron" is a quick book to read - but can be savored slowly. The language is easy to read - but the message is not always so, as it should be. The extensive bibliography and footnotes give credence to the entire work.

Thank you, Clayton, for enlightening me on this important subject.

Highly recommended.