Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Adam D. Shomsky > Reviews

Browse

Adam D. Shomsky's Profile

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Adam D. Shomsky RSS Feed (Detroit, MI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Exact Replacement 40QBP1012 Mica Sheet Metal
Exact Replacement 40QBP1012 Mica Sheet Metal
Price: $12.33
3 used & new from $11.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for microwave waveguide cover, February 16, 2016
My microwave started sparking one day and upon inspection I saw the waveguide cover had a burn mark with a small hole in the center (see photos). I bought this mica sheet to replace my damaged waveguide cover. The shape I needed was like a big circle with some little tabs sticking out and a few small holes in the middle. I used a marker to trace out the old waveguide shape and utility blade to cut this sheet to the correct size. It wasn’t that difficult to cut. I used a drill to cut out a few small holes where plastic clips attached the waveguide cover to the microwave. I’ve been using the microwave for a few weeks since then and I have had no problems with it since.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Pewter
Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Pewter
Price: $28.59
14 used & new from $25.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, not-so-great build quality, May 30, 2015
Length:: 0:11 Mins

The pros:
This is a genius concept. It is very quick and easy to use - so much better than manually scooping out the litter. It greatly reduces the hassle of a very unpleasant chore, and for that it's worth its weight in gold.

The cons:
The build quality is pretty cheap. The "hinge" on the grate is very thin and if you try to remove the grate a couple times it is likely to break. That happened to one of mine after a couple of months of usage. I added a screw to hold it together.

Litter can leak out the side when tipping it to empty it. I tried adding a bead of silicone around the edge and that seems to have helped some.

Tips:
I liked this litter box so much I bought a second one. Then I noticed the second one looked identical but didn't work as well as the first. A lot of clean litter ended up in the bin and it seemed to always be heavier on the right side even when I tilted it back to the left to move the clean litter back. Then I realized I had misassembled second one; the grate was installed backwards. So make sure you install the grate in the correct direction.

Conclusion:
It's still worth buying, just beware that it's somewhat fragile. I wish they'd make an updated version with better build quality, because this is absolutely a genius idea. I previously tried a motorized automated litter box but found it to be more hassle than it's worth. This litter box is much better, and cheaper too!

Litter Genie Plus Cat Litter Disposal System with Odor Free Pail System, White
Litter Genie Plus Cat Litter Disposal System with Odor Free Pail System, White
Offered by Gatzies
Price: $37.53
3 used & new from $31.66

3.0 out of 5 stars If you have one cat and clean the litter box ..., May 30, 2015
If you have one cat and clean the litter box daily, especially if the litter you use doesn’t mask odors very well, this product will probably be helpful.
I use fresh step litter, which is dusty but masks smells very well. We have four cats, five litter boxes, and as gross as it is, they don’t get emptied every day. So when they do get emptied, there is a lot of litter. It doesn’t take long to fill up the litter genie bag, which then means I have to cut the bag, tie it off, pull out more plastic from the cartridge, and tie the new bag off. It’s even more work if the cartridge is empty. It’s much less hassle to just use grocery bags and take them to the trash can outside each time the litter box is emptied.

I’ve had this product for about six months but I haven’t used it in the last four months or so.

simplehuman upright grocery bag holder - brushed
simplehuman upright grocery bag holder - brushed
85 used & new from $44.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge space saver, May 30, 2015
This is such a simple idea but saves so much space under my kitchen sink. I’ve had it for about 6 months and I’m very happy with it. I wrap grocery bags around my fingers before stuffing them into the bag holder. I can probably fit about 100 bags in there if I really stuff them in. They’re not difficult to get out, but I’ve never tried to take out more than a few at a time. My item came fully assembled.

Aprilaire 10 Water Panel, Fits Humidifiers 500, 500A, 500M, 550, 550A, 558, 110 and 220
Price: $10.35
30 used & new from $4.32

5.0 out of 5 stars It was pretty easy to install it, May 30, 2015
It fits in my Aprilaire 500 series humidifier. It was pretty easy to install it.

Hi-mobiler High Speed 10ft USB 2.0 a Male to Micro B Cable with Gold-plated Connectors for Samsung Lg HTC and Other Tablet Smartphone (Black)
Offered by MOBILER, LLC
Price: $5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars It works as a USB cable should work. The ..., May 30, 2015
It works as a USB cable should work. The extra length is very convenient. Once, I forgot my phone was plugged in to the cable and I started to walk away when the cable yanked out abruptly. Since then, the micro USB connection is very loose when plugged into the phone, but I still use it to charge my phone every night and I’ve never had a problem with it. Other micro USB cables still fit snugly, so the phone port is ok, just this cable is loose. It’s possible any cable would have done the same thing after experiencing similar trauma.

Gilmour Medium Duty Solid Brass Twist Cleaning Nozzle (528T)
Gilmour Medium Duty Solid Brass Twist Cleaning Nozzle (528T)
Price: $8.94
13 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars but it works great so far, May 30, 2015
I've only had it for a little over a month and only used it maybe a dozen times, but it works great so far. It doesn’t drip at all when the nozzle is closed. It looks and acts very much like the one my parents had for decades. I have used several of the plastic lever-type nozzles from the local stores, but they all seem to be junk.

DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant Aerosol Spray, 10 Oz.
DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant Aerosol Spray, 10 Oz.
Price: $12.98
3 used & new from $12.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work that great for my uses, May 30, 2015
I tried this spray on a horizontal sliding vinyl window that was squealing when it was opened or closed. It helped a little, but based on the reviews I thought it would slide like a dream. I put 4-5 coats of the spray on the track and it did slide smoother and the squealing was mostly gone. After that I bought a silicone-based spray and added it on top of the Teflon. That helped a lot. The squealing is totally gone now. I used the silicone spray on the other windows and it worked well.

I also had a hand saw that I used for cutting tree branches that was quite sticky. When I bought it there was an oily lubricant on the blade and it slid smoothly. All the lubricant had worn off and once I cut about an inch into a branch, the blade would become stuck and it would be impossible to make further progress. I cleaned off the blade and added this Teflon spray, but it didn’t seem to help very much. WD40 helps to keep wood pulp from gumming up the blade but it wears off very fast.

I also tried the Teflon spray on an old Miter saw blade that had started to burn wood as it cut it. Maybe the blade was already too worn for a lubricant to do much good, but the Teflon spray didn’t seem to help much. I bought a new blade and added the Teflon before using it. It works well, but then it is a brand new blade so it should work well.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2015 2:43 PM PDT

Louis Garneau Zip-Leg Warmers 2, Black, Medium
Louis Garneau Zip-Leg Warmers 2, Black, Medium
Offered by MadAthlete
Price: $39.95
13 used & new from $36.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very warm, non-returnable if opened, November 30, 2014
Disclaimer: I am not a cyclist, so take this review for what it’s worth. I bought these leg warmers with the intention to use them like long underwear that I could put on and remove without taking my pants off. But they add no warmth whatsoever during low to moderate physical activity.

One reviewer said these kept his legs warm while cycling down a mountain in 30F weather, so I was surprised at how thin they were. I decided to test their warmth by putting one on my left leg and nothing on my right leg. I put a regular pair of slacks on top, the way I intended to use them. The temperature was 18F, 6mph wind, and the wind chill was 11F.

The first thing I noticed when I walked outside is that I could feel the cold instantly on my left leg (the one with the warmer). My right leg actually felt less cold. It seems like any piece of fabric could only make my leg warmer unless it was made of a conductive material, so I’m not sure why it felt colder. Maybe it was due to the compression? I am 5’10” 165lbs and bought a medium. I walked for about 5 minutes and spent another 10-15 minutes basically standing around. Both legs felt about equally cold after that. I had kept my hands nice and cozy by keeping them in my coat pockets with gloves on. As soon as I came back indoors, I touched both legs with my hands to see if I could judge which was colder. They felt about the same - both were cold in the same spots.

The wind had been calm for my first test, but luckily there was an exceptionally windy day just a couple days later so I could do another test to see if they blocked the wind effectively. This time the temp was 35F with 22mph average wind speed. The results were basically the same. My left leg (with the leg warmer) felt colder immediately after stepping outside, it felt a little colder than my right leg when there were gusts of wind, and both legs felt about equally cold after 12 minutes of low activity outside. I even tried pulling up my slacks to see if the wind against my bare leg felt colder than wind against the leg warmer. Both legs felt colder without the slacks, and I wouldn’t say there was much difference between them. My slacks definitely provided more warmth than the leg warmer, and these slacks are not particularly warm or wind-proof, which is why I was looking for something to wear underneath them.

Maybe it’s different during intense physical activity while cycling, but as far as I can tell these seem to add about zero warmth for my use. I did one more test, this time indoors with moderate physical activity. I took a 10 minute walk that included walking up and down 168 stairs. After that, the leg with the Louis Garneau leg warmer felt maybe slightly warmer than the one without a warmer.

I only used them a few times, so maybe it’s premature to judge how well they stay up. Several times they slipped down my legs and ended up bunching up at my knees after walking a couple hundred yards or so. But there were times when they didn’t slip at all. I think they stayed best when I pulled them up very high so the top went past the thickest part of my quadriceps, almost right up to my groin. The bottom would be a few inches above my ankle.

Niagara Cycle Works accepts returns only if the package is unopened.

Shure SM93 Lavalier Microphone
Shure SM93 Lavalier Microphone
Price: $155.00
6 used & new from $155.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job filtering out wind noise, November 17, 2014
Length:: 2:19 Mins

This is the first lav mic I've ever had, so I'm not sure how it compares to others. But I do love how well it filters out wind noise. I usually use it outdoors and I don't worry too much about a little breeze. I use it even when I'm not recording speech just because it's the best microphone I have for windy conditions. I took it out for a test on a very windy day and compared it to a couple other microphones I have. Take a look at the video for the results.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5