Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Profile for pinkoos > Reviews

Browse

pinkoos' Profile

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

pinkoos RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Circle with Disney
Circle with Disney
Price: $99.00

1.0 out of 5 stars OpenDNS does similar stuff for free, March 16, 2016
I was initially very excited about Circle. Received great customer service after receiving a defective unit, and they seemed very receptive to feedback. However, after months they haven't acted on the feedback I'd given them. Main problems: doesn't limit or monitor or recognize the online game Growtopia and also counts overnight notifications towards usage time. Despite me bringing this up on multiple occasions, these problems haven't been addressed. Wish I hadn't spent the money on this. OpenDNS has most of the functionality and does it for free and without frustration.

Pebble Time Round 20mm Smartwatch for Apple/Android Devices - Black/Black
Pebble Time Round 20mm Smartwatch for Apple/Android Devices - Black/Black
Price: $149.99
27 used & new from $135.00

4.0 out of 5 stars So I sold my Apple Watch and got a Pebble Instead, November 21, 2015
I had the Apple Watch since launch and actually liked it a lot, but became dismayed as it did not live up to its full potential, even as a 1.0 product.

I really only wanted it for notifications, music control and fitness, so I thought the apps and complications were above and beyond my intended uses.

There are several problems I can note, including:

1. the "not always on" nature of the watchface
2. the incredible slowness of the apps, even under watchOS 2.0, which was supposed to speed things up considerably
3. the waste of the "friends" button on the side (waste meaning that the button could have been used as a "custom" button that the user is allowed to configure)
4. the overall complexity of the watch and user experience

I was hoping that the watch could make my life less complicated, but I believe it actually made it more complicated. The iPhone Watch app was almost too granular in terms of all the things that you can tweak and control, including loading of apps, which notifications you wanted, etc. I really just wanted something simple that sent notifications to the watch, allowed simple music control and some fitness tracking.

The Apple Watch wasn't good for my music control. I sit at a microscope all day and listen to music or podcasts while working. In order to play/pause the audio coming from my iPhone, I had to:

1. wake up the watch (either twist wrist or tap on the screen)
2. go to the music app or the music glance - the app would require a press of the digital crown, a tap of the music app and then another tap to play/pause while the glance would require a swipe up, a swipe left or right (if my music glance wasn't the last glance used) and then another tap for play/pause

This was just too cumbersome a user experience for me. I wish the side "friends" button could have been custom configured as a play/pause button. That would have been great.

The notifications worked great and being able to act on them (ie, reply to a text or email) was nice, but also tended to be slow. It was almost faster/easier to see the notification on the watch, but act on it via the iPhone.

Fitness tracking was hit or miss. I recently had some major issues with iOS 9.1 and so had to downgrade to 9.0.2 (before Apple stopped signing it) and, in the process, lost all previously accumulated Activity data and also lost any sync with my Apple Watch. I tried many different trouble shooting steps including unpairing and repairing from backup, unpairing and repairing as new, but it didn't fix the problem. I also realized that the whole Bluetooth connection is dog slow. Unpairing took forever, repairing took forever and any watch software updates basically had to run overnight b/c the bluetooth connection was so super slow.

Anyway, all of these things made me realize that the watch was not simplying my life or making it easier but rather making my life more stressful and complicated.

So, I decided to sell it and buy a Pebble. I got the Pebble Time Round about a week or so ago and am absolutely loving it for all the opposite reasons that I grew to dislike the Apple Watch:

1. Always on time
2. Although there are a lot of apps for the Pebble Time, many developers haven't ported their apps to the Time Round. And, that is actually a good thing, b/c I don't really want this watch for apps. I want it for the reasons stated above
3. The physical buttons allow me to control my music with one or two physical button presses at most - there's no touchscreen, so you have to push buttons to control; but, b/c there is no touchscreen, you can do this without even having to look at the watch
4. There's no complexity b/c there's not much "to do" on the watch. I receive notifications, but I can't act on them and that's fine. Like I mentioned above, I ended up acting on notifications directly on my iPhone b/c the watch was too slow.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share in case anybody was looking for real world experience from an Apple Watch user who switched to Pebble.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2016 4:06 PM PDT

Misfit Wearables Flash - Fitness and Sleep Monitor (Black)
Misfit Wearables Flash - Fitness and Sleep Monitor (Black)
12 used & new from $36.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Try again Misfit, January 6, 2015
Total piece of junk. Unclear how this got past Misfit's quality control department (if they have one) and released into the wild. Where do I start? I gifted these to my two boys (ages 10 and 8) for Christmas. They were excited to have a fitness tracker and it actually motivated them to compete against each other daily to see who could reach their goal first. However, as others have mentioned, the device doesn't "clip" into the band with any kind of acknowledgment that allows one to feel confident that it won't fall out. And fall out they do. Not only that, my younger son's tracker has already started malfunctioning. This was after it was about a week old. Suffice it to say that both of these got returned right away. Try again Misfit.

egrips Apple iPhone 6 Skin Clear Anti-Slip Protective Sticker - Non-Slip Phone Grip for bare phone, soft or hard shell case - Cleanly Removable Adhesive
Offered by Visionary Action Inc
Price: $13.95
2 used & new from $13.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Your iPhone will NEVER slip out of your hands again, November 24, 2014
I'm not a fan of phone cases and, so, was looking for something that would decrease the slipperiness of the iPhone 6 but without adding any bulk. The eGrips is perfect. It increases the grippiness of the iPhone 6 so that it's easy to pick up, easy to hold and even easy to use one-handed without fear of it slipping out of your hands. It's of course very easy to apply (just take a couple of seconds to line it up and then slap it on) and it adheres nicely to the back of the phone (I'm using it directly on the phone rather than on a case, but that's a legitimate scenario as well). If you're looking to go caseless or have a case but find it a bit slippery as well, give the eGrips a shot. You won't regret it.

Liftmaster 371LM Single-Button Remote Control
Liftmaster 371LM Single-Button Remote Control
Offered by Open Door Discount Remotes
Price: $17.50
40 used & new from $12.82

1.0 out of 5 stars Just replace the battery instead of buying a new one!, October 2, 2014
I'm wondering why people are buying these instead of just replacing the battery in their original one? I think LiftMaster doesn't make it obvious or easy to replace the battery, but all you need is a butter knife to pry open the opener along the seams. It pops open easily. Then, all you need is a CR2032 battery to replace. Snap the opener back together (yes, it does snap back together) and you're done.

Cooper Wiring Devices TR7745W-BOX  Combination USB Charger with Tamper Resistant Receptacle and Box, 15-Amp, White Finish
Cooper Wiring Devices TR7745W-BOX Combination USB Charger with Tamper Resistant Receptacle and Box, 15-Amp, White Finish
Offered by Fruit Ridge Tools LLC
Price: $27.99
27 used & new from $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars 1 of 4 was DOA, September 27, 2014
Bought 4, 1 was DOA (the USB ports didn't work, though the outlets did). Kind of a pain to have to return, re-buy and reschedule an electrician to come out and install. The 3 that did work seem to work well so far.

Minisuit Slim Jacket Case Cover for iPad Mini 2012 Release (Black)
Minisuit Slim Jacket Case Cover for iPad Mini 2012 Release (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars There is no triangular base cover folding feature, November 14, 2012
This case is very similar to the multitudes of others here on Amazon (Blurex, Moko, etc.). However, this case does NOT have the sleep/wake feature (why not?...most/all the others do). I don't have a problem with that because it's clearly stated in the description. However, the pictures associated with this case show the cover folding back into a triangular base. That is the reason I purchased this. However, this case does NOT have that feature. So, that picture was very misleading. In fact, it was that picture that lead me to order this case.

Anyway, if you don't have an issue with that, then this case is just okay...it doesn't have sleep/wake, it doesn't have the hand strap or the case band, it has an unneeded cutout for the rumored microphone that was not present in the shipping iPad mini and it doesn't have a loop for an optional stylus like many of the others do.

I would probably pass on this one and just get one of the others.

Griffin 605324-PFBK Protector Case for iPhone 5 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by Branded and New – Delivering to you in 2-3 Business Days
Price: $11.41
7 used & new from $5.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Lint magnet, covers too much of the screen and marks up back of iPhone, November 1, 2012
I had high hopes for this case because I bought the exact same version for my sons' 5th generation iPod touches, but in blue. Well, while those versions are great for the touch, the same can't be said for the iPhone 5. First off, the black version is a lint magnet. I've had black silicone cases before and I realize that they do attract lint, but this one somehow collected more lint and dust than any other that I've had. Unfortunately I'm not into colored cases like the ones I got for my sons so black is my only option. The other issue was that this case covers way too much glass. If you use any apps that require you to tap anywhere near any corners of the screen, forget about it. It will be a pain to do because the case encroaches on these corners.

Anyway, it's possible that other colors won't have the lint issue but all of them will have too much interference of the tappable area of the glass. Look elsewhere for a case. Check out my review of the Ballistic Smooth for iPhone 5.

EDIT: Almost forgot...the grid pattern on the inside of the case transfers onto the anodized aluminum back of the iPhone 5. Luckily, I only used the case for a day and so was able to "wipe" away the grid pattern markings, but I don't know if one would be able to get rid of the markings if you've had the case on your iPhone for any extended period of time.

Ballistic LS0955-M145 iPhone 5 Ls Case - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Gray
Ballistic LS0955-M145 iPhone 5 Ls Case - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Gray
Offered by 1to3shop-store
Price: $5.95
19 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Thin form factor with flared corners, November 1, 2012
This is a really nice case. It definitely preserves the iPhone 5's thinness but makes it a bit easier to grab on to without worrying that it will slip out of your hands. The flared corners/bumpers give the iPhone an even longer or stretched out look that is unique. The material is smooth but not slippery and won't pick up lint or get stuck in your pocket. I knocked one star because the sleep/wake is definitely difficult to push.

Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth Speaker, Diamond Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth Speaker, Diamond Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
29 used & new from $38.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the Jabra Solemate Instead, September 21, 2012
Search for my review on the Jabra Solemate for details, but briefly these are the issues with the Jambox:

1. It vibrates off the table b/c of the smooth rubber underside. The few days that I had it, I had to either keep it on the floor or constantly keep an eye on it if I had it on my desk or countertop. Otherwise, it will slide off, fall and probably break.

2. If you have a Mac, getting Bluetooth to work with the Jambox is an exercise in frustration. It's connectivity with iOS devices is great, but forget about it when dealing with a Mac. You will eventually get it to work, but once your listening session is over and you come back at another time to get it connected again, you will be dealing with the same problems/issues all over again.

In summary, the Jabra Solemate meets or exceeds the Jambox in sound quality, bass, etc., and addresses the two issues I listed above.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3