Profile for A. Washington > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Washington "CogsnWheels" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Foscam FI9821W V2 Megapixel HD 1280 x 720p H.264 Wireless/Wired Pan/Tilt IP Camera with IR-Cut Filter - 26ft Night Vision and 2.8mm Lens (70° Viewing Angle) - Black
Price: $74.99
68 used & new from $63.00

2.0 out of 5 stars The camera could be five star, but the terrible documentation/user guid brings it to 2 stars, December 28, 2014
First of all I would like the employees in the product documentation dept at Foscam, for totally putting me in a bad situation.

I bought this camera because I was going out of town and I had a cat that had previously been sick that was better, but I wanted to watch his litterbox whilst I was away.

Fortunately, I left a housekey for my trusted neighbor in case anything did go wrong, or I would be totally screwed.

I am a tech person, so the instructions that were enclosed were really easy to follow, at least the instructions that were disclosed.

I made the mistake in trusting the instructions for the Android App, because I was going to use the app from my smartphone. I used a wireless connection instead of the 4g connection and tested at home from my wireless router and it worked fine.

I was not pleased as punch that while I was away that I had to be on a wireless network to access the camera, but I knew where I was staying had wireless, so it wasnt that big of a deal. Or so I thought.

So to my surprise when I got across country and I got on a wireless network, I could not connect to the saved settings that worked whilst I was at home testing it.

After a few frusterated web searches I soon discovered that there had to be additional set up to access the camera outside of the wireless network where the actula camera was set up. Even the searches it was noted how this information wasn't disclosed openly.

THIS IS COMPLETELY ASININE..

I can understand that the additional set up to access the camera from a smartphone outside of the originating wireless network would be necessary.

But what makes me livid is the fact that the braniacs in the documenation dept at Foscam didnt make this blurb of information more clear in the instructions. Because I could have done this before I left. This has rendered this camera utterly useless to the original reason that I purchased it.

Why would anyone want to have a mobile app for a security camera and ONLY use in the range of the home or residence???

The camera is very good, great picture, resolution, field of view, night vision, etc.

All the R & D in developing a sophistcated camera, with the option to supposedly access it from a MOBILE device, and the totally screw up the instructions???

Pathetic..
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2014 9:57 AM PST

Grand Theft Auto V - PlayStation 4
Grand Theft Auto V - PlayStation 4
Price: $52.88
54 used & new from $44.50

5.0 out of 5 stars This game is a masterpiece., December 23, 2014
I have played several of the GTA installments and have spent hours upon hours playing them, but I eventually grew tired of them and lost interest.

This one is different, and for a couple of reasons. The 1st reason is because it appears that Sony finally has utilized the PS4 capability developing on this platform.

The realism is remarkable. My wife saw my character by the beach and literally recognized where I was as she had been there when she lived in LA. The cracks in the highways, buildings, I can go on. The character interaction and activities is like a real world simulator.

Next is that they have multiple characters that you play as separately that all have special abilities, personal lives that are all intertwined at different points of the game.

Next are the missions. The missions never get boring and repetitive because the developers took their time and made sure that no details were left out. Example, like the handling of the dual sport motorcycle that was in the “Italian Job” like jewel heist, the cop chases, shootouts, reconnaissance missions, triathlons, strip clubs, I can go on and on.
This is definitely a consideration for game of the year.

UFC - PlayStation 4
UFC - PlayStation 4
Price: Click here to see our price
68 used & new from $24.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, but the computer fighters with adamantium chins gotta go, June 30, 2014
This review is from: UFC - PlayStation 4 (Video Game)
I held off on reviewing the game until I got a chance to get some more hours on it.
This game could be great, but it is extremely frustrating.

My biggest issue is that the designers made the computer opponents invincible.

You can fight a strategic match where you parry and counter attack. Plan your strikes when your energy is the highest and connect with devastating blows instead of throwing blows when your stamina is low.

Your opponent's anatomical damage gauge is lava red which appears that he/she will go down at any moment.

BUT THEY NEVER DO..

Then, all it takes is for the computer to get a few shots in on you and you go down or get knocked out. Even on easy and normal setting attributes. I even tested this on stronger opponents with higher stats against weaker fighters and it's the same.

The computer can make big mistakes and leave themselves open after making haymakers and you still can't take them out.

The computer doesn't have to block any punches or kicks because they don't seem to have any effect anyway..

I can only speculate that the game designers cut corners on adequately developing A.I. on this game to where your virtual opponent would fight more chess like.

Instead it appears they overcompensated by giving the computer invincibility to make the game more difficult. If there is a software patch that can correct this, it would be nice.

If one wants to set the game on the toughest difficulty and fight opponents with Wolverine's mutant healing factor that should be an option.

I look at the stats after the match and I have landed 2 to 3 times as many critical strikes and still lose the fight. It's ridiculous.

The submissions are very difficult to apply also.

But I will give this game a 3 star review because the graphics and game play is very smooth.

And it does have excellent replay value.

But the computer fighters with the adamantium chins have to go.

Watch Dogs - PlayStation 4
Watch Dogs - PlayStation 4
Price: $25.10
283 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance- It grows on you, June 3, 2014
I held off on doing a review on this game because I wasn’t really sure if I would like it, and I didn’t want to do like many and give a bad review because I didn’t understand or get into it deep enough.

This game is awesome… Plain and simple.

It’s not perfect because like many games, when they get so complex and detailed, sometimes the control mechanics can be cumbersome and takes some adapting to use the controls. I have seen where people are saying it’s a combination of Grand Theft Auto and Assassins Creed. I can see why this comparison is made, but this game is much BETTER than both for a few reasons. The first reason is that it is not a sequel series.
I am a firm believer that game sequels have a tendency to go stale unless they are online multiplayer formats. The whole hacking genre of this game is pretty sick. Like I said, it took a few missions to really get into it, but I am getting addicted to it quickly.
The free roam capability that is comparable to GTA is much more advanced. I think the next generation development has allowed the game to literally allow the player to go where they want. The interactive environments are really awesome. You knock trash cans over when you are running through alleys, you can drive through chain link fences when eluding police, etc. That’s another thing, The police pursuits are exciting! The cops aren’t as easy to outrun like they are in GTA. The AI is far superior. You have to rely on the expanding free roam environment and hacking into traffic systems to get away. Which brings up the issue of controlling vehicles. The vehicle driving mechanics could be better, and I find myself losing perspective when hitting high speed turns because the camera angle puts you in blind spots. When you make vehicles crash behind you, the slow motion camera capture of the crash is cool to watch, but the down side when the perspective returns to you, you can sometimes crash yourself because the view returns you to a bad spot. But I can live with this because the game has so many strengths that outweigh this. My solution is to use the available motorcycles. They are smaller and more nimble and easier to get through traffic . Not to mention, its easier to ride a motorcycle between barriers that you trigger during police pursuits.

The hacking puzzles are top notch, and makes the hacking theme seem more realistic. And people need to realize that Watch Dogs is not some boring hacking puzzle game. It is packed with high paced shootouts which are reminiscent of Max Payne on PS3, but with next gen detail. The graphics are amazing. The roads and sidewalks have cracks and stains and the leaves on the trees, the rain drops and the appearance of the roads when they are wet. You can definitely tell this is a game on a next gen console.

This is a game that grows on you the more that you play it.

inFAMOUS: Second Son Limited Edition (PlayStation 4)
inFAMOUS: Second Son Limited Edition (PlayStation 4)
Offered by KDS Warehouse
Price: $33.00
99 used & new from $23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This game has awakened an Old School Gamer, March 25, 2014
I have been a gamer since 1981 in the days of coin op Pac Man, Berserk, Galaga, Centipede, Donkey Kong. Needless to say I have witnessed every phase of technological breakthroughs of gaming consoles. Back in the day, you knew a game console was awesome if a game cartridge could duplicate the graphics of an Arcade game. Well, after the year 2000, the had tide changed to where gaming consoles created superior games than what you would find in arcades. This is why arcades only have ¡§simulator¡¨ style games and shooters and I no longer go to arcades. Bear with me, I am going somewhere with this.
So now we have the frontrunners of PlayStation and X-Box that have cranked out some pretty sick games and peripherals where you can literally participate in Dance contests and fight in Bare Knuckle street brawls(The Fight PS3 with the Move Controllers). The PS3 and X-box 360 up until last Friday, to me, could not be topped with epic gaming with stunning graphics and game play. I bought my PS4 on the release date and I had Assassins Creed Black Flag that was jaw dropping. Well Infamous Second Son is the most epic game ever created. It has easily topped one of my old time favorite series, ¡¨Unchartered¡¨ a PlayStation exclusive. Black Flag is a visually stunning game, but Infamous 2nd Son is even more visually stunning.
I have owned MANY PlayStation games and have gotten sucked into many PlayStation games. And quite honestly, up until Infamous 2nd Son, I was actually beginning to get bored with gaming. Black Flag, Kill Zone and some and the new PS4 bred games were really neat, but it¡¦s hard to be wowed these days because gaming has advanced so much over the past 14 years.
Infamous 2nd Son has accomplished 3 things from my perspective.

First, is the creators have made a visually hypnotizing game (hypnotizing because of the use of colors and detail in the cities that make Grand Theft Auto cities look primitive on the lines of Atari 2600) that is not repetitive that is actually never boring and repetitive. You can choose two karma routes which can give you two stories and even different abilities and weaponry based on who you wish to be. I actually plan on going through the game and a bad guy next time. I suggest that the player actually go through all of the side missions and ¡§liberations¡¨ to get the full experience instead of going straight to all of the missions and finishing the game quickly. I have done this with other games because they were repetitive and dull, but it would be a waste on this game. Seriously. My wife is not a game fan but was commenting on the rich neon colors that look like something from a rave party. The cut scenes that show the hero detonating his big attack launching himself in the sky and lowering the boom is the most spectacular thing I have ever seen and it never gets old. What is also good is how you don¡¦t get all of the power ups and abilities right off the bat. You gradually get them all as you defeat the other bio-terrorists which keeps you coming back for more. I like how the developers have utilized the controller as a speaker and ¡§spray paint can¡¨ º.

Second, is that this game has actually piqued this old gamer¡¦s interest again to gaming. I like FPS games, but something new and fresh is nice. This game is just plain fun. Up until last Friday, I was beginning to use my PS4 mostly for Netflix and movie streaming. Well not now.

And third and most important, Infamous Second Son has shown what the PlayStation 4 can do. It has displayed the possibilities and potential that this console has. Hopefully, game developers will take the time to utilize the system to its fullest potential to make winners like this. I am looking forward to other PS4 games now and the peripherals that are on the console.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 11:39 PM PDT

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - PlayStation 4
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - PlayStation 4
Offered by X-Button Games
Price: $34.99
120 used & new from $22.40

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a 5 star game, but minor control issue earns it a 4 star. But still a must BUY!, November 20, 2013
I have played the previous installments of AC, and quite honestly the AC2 was the best so far with the story and adventures. I don't know if it's because this is the 1st game I am playing on the new PS4 engine, or if the story itself and the missions make it awesome, BUT THIS GAME IS AWESOME!

The new clarity of the graphics on the new PS4 are stunning.

It seems like the mechanics of the game is smoother also and perhaps a little too hypersensitive? I will explain more. The pirate rescue mission where the character literally climbs and jumps from the masts and sails from ship to ship to swoop down and take out the king's guards to rescue the pirates is straight out of a movie. It seems like every generation that Sony releases a new console, its getting hard to tell the difference from the cinematic sequence from the actual game.

As I mentioned above my only complaint, and perhaps this may be addressed through a software patch, is that some times Edward gets hung up when he is in free run and fight mode. There have been instances I will be trying to scale a obstacle quickly for him to just sit there. I will have to wiggle the control stick up and down to get him over obstacles. Another example is that I will be trying to make a speedy escape after a contract killing to have him hung up on a obstacle he is supposed to jump over and climb to while the guards inflict damage. I have played other installments & this is very noticeable this time around on the new PS4. I don't know if this is hypersensitivity control or not intuitive enough but it is noticeable.

The above mentioned definitley doesnt affect the game overall, but this is what will prevent me from giving it a 5 star rating.

Buy this game, its like an interactive pirate adventure/movie.

The Deadhouse (Alexandra Cooper Mysteries)
The Deadhouse (Alexandra Cooper Mysteries)
by Linda Fairstein
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
252 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish, July 15, 2013
I got a 1/3 of the way through this book and I found myself going back and reading the where I already read because it couldnt hold my attention. I chalked it up to fatigue and having alot on my mind when reading. But the shocker is when I saw the Central Park 5 documentary on Amazon Prime and Linda Fairstein's name rung a bell.

This woman abused her public office and ruined the lives of 5 innocent kids and knew that there was no physical or forensic evidence linking them to the rape of that jogger. All they had was police coerced confessions that DIDNT EVEN MATCH or put them at the scene of the crime. They found the real rapist years later and matched the DNA at the crime(the same DNA they had at the time that didnt belong to any of the kids she railroaded) and to this day she will not acknowledge her wrongdoing. I was sickened after finding this out & felt violated that I actually bought and read this book. She should donate a part of the proceeds from her books to the 5 she took part in destroying. If not her books should banned!

Millennial Hospitality
Millennial Hospitality
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars "They" don't seem to appreciate our hospitality it seems., June 24, 2013
This was good reading. How true it is seems questionable. If it is true, all I can say that "they" need to leave with their arrogance and disrespect of boundaries of our planet.

Dead Space 3 Limited Edition
Dead Space 3 Limited Edition
Price: Click here to see our price
123 used & new from $9.07

4.0 out of 5 stars single player non Co Op review- Its good as always, but frustrating at some points, February 26, 2013
I have completed played and completed the prior two installments in the Dead Space series so this isn't my 1st dance. I havent completed the game yet, but have gone far enough to give a review. So far so good. What I enjoy the most about Deadspace is the survival horror theme in it.

The graphics, lighting, sounds, make the player feel like they are in an interactive movie. I am giving it 4 stars on the premise that the graphics, weapons, thrill factor, violence and gore, and story are top notch. I am not a game game savant by any means. As a matter of fact, it takes me longer to complete games because I do have a life besides playing video games all day, but I am an old school gamer neverless. This game is one of the few games that always holds my interest and keeps me coming back to play until its completed.

The save points and story progression makes this easy as opposed to other games that I will play about halfway through and put it down and let it collect dust for several months and come back and complete it or sell the game.

Now for what I do like and what I don't like.

THE BIGGEST ISSUE that annoys me in this game is the control function that whilst in heated combat trying to manuver Issac dodging, running, rolling, turning around facing multiple necromorphs while holding his weapon is that in toggles the weapon to either the one you are not wanting to use or the scouter droid. I have gotten killed many times and have wanted to smash the controller because I will turn to shoot at another target and I go from shoting my energy blaster to deploying the scouter droid mid battle!! I HATE THIS!!. I don't know if there is a way to change the configuration to only use the arrow buttons to change weapons instead of using the left joysticks while you are trying to fight. This is the main reason I wont give this game five stars.

I do like is the new ammo stockpiling system. I like being able to get one type of ammo for all of the weapons that can be attained or crafted.

I do like the concept of the scouter droid, and tne building of custom weapons.

I don't like the slow opening kinesis operated doors. I have been situations where the doors take too long to open, especially while you are being chased by regenerating necromorphs.

There have also been situations where I have had a hard time figuring out what it is I am supposed to be doing. My objective could be to repair parts of a damaged ship, finding items in the weightless space environment & its hard for me to locate the objective because of debris and lighting. I have a hi def LCD 3D tv so its not my television.

And this is probably just my skill level, but it seems like the AI sends a lot of enemies after you at once which can be overwhelming. This is on the medium difficulty setting too. It seems like they designed the difficulty higher this installment.

All in all I really am enjoying the game except for the unwanted weapon toggling issue in mid battle. And if they comoe out with a Deadspace 4, I will buy that one too. :-)

Kettler Kadett Outrigger Style Rower Rowing Machine
Kettler Kadett Outrigger Style Rower Rowing Machine
Offered by Dazadi
Price: $699.00
14 used & new from $599.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Have owned this machine for 7 years very pleased, August 30, 2012
I bought this machine as a tool to do cardio on back in 2005 because I was unable to do any cardio that I had to use my legs. During this time I was having numerous orthapedic surgeries on one of my lower legs and could not bike, treadmill, stair climb, etc.

With this machine I was able to drop my bodyfat into single digits and get my resting heart rate down dramatically. Also, using this machine will tone up your biceps, forearms, shoulders, upper back, lower back and torso core.

It is built with heavy materials and it is not some cheap flimsy piece of equipment. You can set the resistance however you like and the "sculling"(sp?) is an extra bonus.

It is collapses easy for travel, but it is heavy to transport. The seat track is very smooth and the readout that tells you how many rows you make is accurate. The only downsides I can see which are minimal are that the battery is a 9 volt which can degrade if it sits without use for prolonged periods of time.

A watch style battery would have been better. And the nylon straps that you put your feet in have to be cinched down every once in a while sliding back and forth on the seat track. Like I said though, these are very minor issues and will not prevent me from giving it a 5 star review.

Seven years no issues.