Profile for Amy Hufford > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amy Hufford RSS Feed (Austin, Texas USA)

The Crossing
The Crossing
by Jennifer Hritz
Price: $13.05
24 used & new from $12.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A portrait of an artist, December 2, 2013
This review is from: The Crossing (Paperback)
I debated when to start reading this book, knowing that "I, too, Have Suffered in the Garden," sucked me in and didn't release me for a few days. Joel's story is no different. Thank goodness I had the Thanksgiving break so that I didn't totally blow my sleep schedule! Joel is such a complex character - he's hopeless, pitiful, tragic, talented, smart and in desperate need of love (from himself and others). I couldn't stop wanting to know what turn his life would take and how he would overcome his demons. Although I knew how the story ends from reading the first book, I couldn't turn away from the self-sabotage and addiction -- I was rooting for Joel to succeed.

Joel's journey as an artist led me to examine some of my own creative longings as well. How often can one read a novel and say that they may take action in their own life because of it?

I, too, Have Suffered in the Garden
I, too, Have Suffered in the Garden
by Jennifer Hritz
Price: $12.78
39 used & new from $5.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner whether you're gay or straight, March 24, 2011
I tore through the book in two days! I could not put it down because I was really invested in the characters and what would happen next. I really connected with Adam; I can empathize with what he goes through and why. I find that I consistently enjoy characters like this who have a dark side to them but are forgivable anyway. They just seem more human. Reminds me of television shows that are successful because they also use dark or troubled but also endlessly human characters: The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Mad Men and others.

I also had very clear images in my head for the settings, the time frame and the characters. The book connected with me on a lot of levels because of the writing, but it became irresistible because it felt real.

KingCase iPhone 1G 2G (Original iPhone) Rubberized Slider Case (Navy Blue) 4GB, 8GB, 16GB

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold onto the case, December 9, 2010
White the case looks attractive and has a good texture that would allow you to get it in and out of a pocket easily, we have not been able to keep the case from opening. We have determined after trying many times to make sure that the latch in the back was connecting that it would be safer for the phone if we didn't use it at all. The latch on the back fails to secure the two pieces of the case together consistently. They slide apart without warning, which can cause you to drop the phone on the ground unprotected.

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
by Timothy Ferriss
305 used & new from $0.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Good inspirational stuff, but what about folks with young kids?, April 18, 2008
I enjoyed this book and got a lot out of it, but it was not realistic to think that people with young kids can really create this lifestyle with this little instruction. The author says that kids shouldn't stop you, but he doesn't have kids, so he really doesn't know. But maybe that's just me making excuses as to why I haven't fully transitioned to this lifestyle yet. So I guess I'm waiting for the "with family" version of this book.

My Little House Crafts Book: 18 Projects from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House Stories
by Carolyn Strom Collins
Price: $11.58
76 used & new from $4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Tried to plan birthday party activities from this book..., April 18, 2008
...but we only really were able to do the button string as far as a kid activity. I have a 7 year old daughter who is crazy about the Little House books and I was searching for ideas of things to do at a Little House party. We made the bread from the book before the party for a decoration (which was difficult with a two year-old constantly needing attention), and it ended up beautiful and delicious.

We did the button string project with the kids at the party because we already had a lot of buttons around the house. The girls had fun stringing the buttons, but the end product isn't that impressive -- just buttons on a string. I think the corn cob doll could have been another possibility to try, but I didn't know that I would have enough adult help to get that to work. Wished that there were more crafts in the book suitable for my daughter's age. But I see other reviews where people wanted to have more difficult crafts. You can't please everyone.

Mushaboom (Album Version)
Mushaboom (Album Version)
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars a song to be enjoyed by moms and kids, April 18, 2008
My daughter loves Feist's 1234 video and we started looking for her other songs. This one is also a favorite, even more than 1234 now. At first, my daughter just liked the video on YouTube for this song. Now it is in our ipod and on a CD in the car too. I didn't really notice whe we watched the video, but the lyrics are really sweet and fun. Thank you to Feist for making at least these two songs which a mom and daughter can enjoy together!

Here Comes Peter Cottontail
Here Comes Peter Cottontail
12 used & new from $0.23

4.0 out of 5 stars helps you remember the words, April 18, 2008
This review is from: Here Comes Peter Cottontail
We were wanting a book that had all the words to the Peter Cottontail song. This definitely has it. Nice illustrations too.

The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal: How to Reclaim, Rejuvenate and Re-Balance Your Life
by Renee Peterson Trudeau
Price: $16.24
72 used & new from $2.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Moms -- Get your life back!, May 14, 2007
The message of this book boils down to learning how you can take care of yourself (some call it creating "life balance") so that you can be the mom you want to be (not your mom's, society's, or your mother in law's idea of motherhood). It isn't another parenting book that talks about the "how tos" in terms of taking care of your kids or your husband. The topic may sound touchy-feely, but it's not -- it carries a serious message about self-preservation for mothers that has been ignored for too long!