Profile for RavenRing > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 207

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RavenRing RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Space Brothers: Collection 1
Space Brothers: Collection 1
DVD ~ Artist Not Provided
Price: $32.49
10 used & new from $28.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Chance Dreams, February 23, 2015
This review is from: Space Brothers: Collection 1 (DVD)
When brothers Mutta and Hibito were children, they both dreamed of becoming astronauts. Fast forward to adulthood and we see younger brother Hibito getting ready to become the first Japanese person on the moon, while older brother Mutta finds himself fired from his dead end job after head-butting his boss. Lucky for him, his interfering parents help him get a second chance at achieving his dream when they submit his resume to JAXA (Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency) and he is accepted into the first round of the astronaut selection interviews.

I heard nothing but good things about this series while it was airing, but I waited until it was completed before jumping in. I was looking forward to it, but a little worried about it being over hyped. My fears were quickly erased.

Space Brothers is an excellent series for adults (and anyone else of course) and for anyone who enjoys learning about space. It is really interesting to hear about many, many different requirements needed to become an astronaut and all the cool space stuff (that is, cool moon scenes :).
I didn't know anything about the astronaut application process, but apparently (going off of a review of the series) it is surprisingly accurate (for JAXA anyway). The series is definitely well researched and feels very realistic.

But no show is complete without good characters, and Space Brothers has those in spades. Mutta enjoys great character development and growth as the series progresses. He also becomes surrounded by a group of smart and interesting people who get their own backstories and motivations painted out for us. Habit, while getting less screen time than his main character brother, is also a very enjoyable character. He is the kind of guy who sticks with his dreams despite the likelihood of failure and manages to achieve said dreams through hard work and self confidence. He is a very happy go lucky sort of character, which can be a nice break from Mutta's near constant fretting.

The series has a rather slow pace (the application section alone goes on for ages), but it is really exciting. I watched with my sister and a friend and every time we had to stop there was a groan of disappointment. Many times there was the plea for "one more episode".

The series is 99 episodes and this set contains 1-12. Crunchyroll has the entire series available at this time, so once you get to episode 13 and realize you need to see it RIGHT NOW, then at least you don't have to wait for the next DVD set :)

Hozuki's Coolheadedness [Blu-ray]
Hozuki's Coolheadedness [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Artist Not Provided
Price: $34.49
18 used & new from $29.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell of a Good Time, February 17, 2015
Like most places on Earth, Hell is run by a bureaucracy. They have all the same problems as humans - internal disputes, staffing issues, and foreign relations problems. The only differences are the pools of boiling blood and screaming souls of the dead. And maybe a few other things...
Hozuki is the aide to King Enma, the ruler of hell. A bureaucrat with hundreds of years of experience, he solves problems with calm and a great big spiky club. In his spare time he enjoys fawning over cute animals and gardening.

Episodes are generally divided into two vignettes per episodes and it doesn't have a real overarching storyline, though it does have some connected story lines.

Hozuki no Retetsu has rather dry sense of humor that isn't for everyone. Of the people I've showed it to, 1 out of 5 liked it. The humor greatly reminded me of Humanity Has Declined (Jinrui ga Suiteshimashita), which now I think about it, had the same reactions from the same people. It is dry, dark, and generally hilarious if you enjoy that sort of thing. Another recommendation might be Snafu! (similar humor but totally different type of story).

If the synopsis intrigues you, you can give the series a try on Chrunchyroll for free. If you don't enjoy the first episode, then stop there because that is what the rest of the series is like. If you like it, well then good! The rest of the series is pretty much the same.

The Eccentric Family Complete Premium Edition BLURAY Set
The Eccentric Family Complete Premium Edition BLURAY Set
Offered by Anime Corner
Price: $64.98
5 used & new from $51.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes life just demands you end up eaten in a hotpot, February 2, 2015
Kyoto - home to 1.5 million humans, one grumpy tengu, and a family of foolish tanuki. Yasaburo is the third son of the Shimagamo
family. He and his family are still grieving the loss of the family head, who was eaten in a hot pot by the human group known as "Friday Club". They all miss him greatly, but as you know, sometimes it is simply your fate to end up cooked and eaten in a hot pot. Or at least, it is if you are a tanuki.

The Shimagamo is certainly eccentric. Yasaburo, in addition to being a self-proclaimed idiot, enjoys masquerading as a girl and getting into trouble. His mother likes to cross dress and play pool, and is very afraid of thunder. The second brother lives his life as a frog at the bottom of the well. The youngest and eldest brothers are the closest to being `normal', but they have their moments as well. They are all awesome, lovable characters. In addition there is a cranky tengu, a psychic (psychotic?) girl, two more idiot tanuki, and plenty more fun to be had.

I really liked this series. But in the end there was something that really bugged me - the idea that is ok to eat sentient beings. Frankly, if I found a talking tanuki, I would not try and eat it. Tanuki Nabe (hot pot) is a big part of the story, but it only really bothered me when it is revealed that a character that ate tanuki nabe knew and chatted with the tanuki before eating it. And they knew what they were eating. And this doesn't seem to really bother anyone.

But aside from that one issue, I don't have any complaints. The Eccentric Family is a colorfully, funny, and crazy show that totally lives up to its name.

NIS America releases good quality box sets. This one contains episodes 1-13 (Japanese audio only) plus a full-color 64-page hardcover art book with episode guides, character info, and illustrations.

Firefight (The Reckoners)
Firefight (The Reckoners)
by Brandon Sanderson
Price: $13.98
105 used & new from $9.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire & Water, January 6, 2015
Steelheart may have been defeated, but there are still plenty of other Epics out there. Some of them choose to attack Newcago, but it seems these attacks are not random. Someone has been sending these Epics and when the Professor decides it is time for them to confront her, he and David leave their city and move to the fantastical Babylon Restored (Manhattan) which is ruled by the wily and powerful water Epic Regalia. What is her purpose in drawing them their? It seems straightforward, but with a reputation of cleverness, can her plot really be that simple?

I loved Steelheart. I read it in a single sitting and upon finishing it, fell into a blissful contemplation. I eagerly awaited Firefight's release and overcame a great bout of laziness in order to drive to a bookstore where Brandon Sanderson was holding a launch signing the day before the book was officially released. I then waited in line for 4 hours to get it signed.

So I must first state that Firefight is not as good as Steelheart. That said, it is still a really fun book.

David is as great a character as he was in the first book. He has an exuberance and childlike quality that makes him really stand out in his rather grim world. Plus his terrible metaphors are pretty entertaining. Several more characters are introduced that are pretty fun, but they don't get much development. In fact, there isn't very much character development at all in this book (not none, just not much).
We learn more about the Epics and Calamity, but most of the book is taken up with citybuilding. Babilar (as it is referred to in the book), sounds like a really cool place. But I felt kind of like a little too much time was spent on it. I really wanted to learn more about the Epics. But while what we do learn is very important, there isn't very much of it. And it mostly shows up at the end of the book.
There is a lot of action though and it is entertaining and fun. David gets to use a water propelled jet pack in a city filled with water. The Reckoners come up with plans to take down Epics. People are rescued, people aren't rescued, Epic abilities and weaknesses are discovered. There is lots going on in this book and it is an entertaining read.

Some pretty awesome stuff does happen at the end of Firefight and now I will eagerly await Calamity!

Master Pieces Jigsaw Puzzle Frame 19-1/4 Inch by 26-3/4 Inch Wood
Master Pieces Jigsaw Puzzle Frame 19-1/4 Inch by 26-3/4 Inch Wood
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $24.14
14 used & new from $18.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, just as long as you know what you are getting, December 10, 2014
I bought this frame for a 19-1/4" by 26-3/4" puzzle by Master Pieces and it fit perfectly. This frame does require some assembly, as it comes with 4 pieces to form the sides. I found it very easy to assemble (saying this as someone who can assemble a bookshelf and not much else).

Thanks to reviews I knew what I was getting when I ordered this: a frame without glass or backing. Just the wooden frame part. That is all it comes with. And honestly, it is just fine this way. My puzzle has been hanging in this frame for over 6 months now in a bathroom and no problems. Looks great.

Note, in order to frame your puzzle, you will first need to glue it with some puzzle glue. This frame does not come with glue. It is just a frame.

Finally, price. When I bought this frame it was $21.99 and I thought it was a little pricey, but there were no other options. Now it is $29.24. I doubt I would have bought it at this price.

Chap-Ice Assorted Lip Balm (Pack of 24)
Chap-Ice Assorted Lip Balm (Pack of 24)
Offered by C&L SALES
Price: $10.88
11 used & new from $7.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as Chapstick at a better price!, December 10, 2014
I've always bought Chapstick (brand) at Costco for my lip balm needs, but recently the Costco near me stopped carrying them, so I turned to Amazon. I chose Chap Ice because of the high ratings and low, low price. It is about half the price of Chapstick.
Each packet comes with 6 cherry, 4 original, and 2 watermelon. I compared the cherry to the Chapstick cherry and the Chap Ice one has a slightly stronger scent, but they feel pretty much the same (which is good since I really like Chapstick).
This is a fantastic price for a good product and I highly recommend it.

K - The Complete Series
K - The Complete Series
Price: $29.96
13 used & new from $26.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting plot and entertaining characters, December 10, 2014
This review is from: K - The Complete Series (DVD)
One day while running an errand for a classmate, Yashiro Isana, aka Shiro, finds himself being chased by some very intimidating men who seem to have it out for him. Not only does he not recognize any of them, but he doesn't recall having done anything that would require revenge against him. When one of his pursuers finally explains it to him, it still doesn't make any sense! Did Shiro really commit the murder they are accusing him of?

I wasn't really sure what I was getting into starting this series, as all of the reviews I had read basically said it looked really good but the story was confusing. Personally I found the story quite enjoyable - even though I knew that things can couldn't be as straightforward as the characters claimed, I still found the explanation at the end to be interesting and well done. The world this series builds isn't too complicated, yet it draws you in and rouses your curiosity. And everything looks good. Not only does the art style and animation look nice, but the characters have very stylish fashion sense. This was a fun change from series where ever character is always wearing their school uniform.
Shiro is a pretty fun character - he is extremely laid back, even when faced with menacing danger. The supporting characters aren't too complicated, but they are fun.

This series is only 13 episodes and manages to tell a complete story, though the ending certainly leaves the possibility of a sequel. Actually, it has a movie sequel and is going to get another sequel in 2015. I rather liked the way this series ended, so I am not sure if I will watch the sequel, but if you are left wanting more then at least you have something to look forward too.

This set isn't very complicated, containing just all 13 episodes (in both English and Japanese), trailers, clean opening and endings, and some convention highlights all on 2 discs. This is pretty standard for anime sets and I was perfectly satisfied with it and the price ($29.96).

This was a fun series and I recommend giving it a try if you think it sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy it too!

MBOX Blue Rudder Anchor Leather Rope Bracelet Nautical Vintage Silver Infinite Style
Offered by NYBK GROUP(U.S SELLER)
Price: $5.98
3 used & new from $5.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but annoying to wear, November 24, 2014
This bracelet looks just like its picture and is a fun design. Sadly, the design is part of why I've come to hate it. The little anchor and wheel look awesome, but in reality they catch on everything.
The second problem is that even on the tightest setting, this bracelet is determined to lay the charms on the inside of my write. I was constantly adjusting it. Constantly.
Finally, the bracelet is a little difficult to put on and almost impossible to put on yourself (tight enough anyway).
Still, the price is excellent. If you don't intend to spend lots of time wearing it, then go ahead and buy away.

1928 Jewelry Gothic Cross Blue Twilight Stretch Bracelet
1928 Jewelry Gothic Cross Blue Twilight Stretch Bracelet
Price: $12.00
2 used & new from $12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty, but isn't holding up to constant use as well as I would have liked, November 24, 2014
I wear this bracelet all the time, save when showering. I've had it a month and worn it nearly that long. At this point, the silver color is starting to wear away at the edges and reveal a sort of coppery color. It has also lost one fake gem. The elastic has become a tiny bit looser.
I like the design and feel of the bracelet. It feels like it is good quality and it is comfortable to wear. If you don't wear it as often as I do you will probably get a much longer period of use out of it.

Match Womens Double Breasted Lace Hem Turndown Collar Trench Coats #WLTC-009(X-Large, 009-Red)
Offered by Gunsiny
Price: $35.97
2 used & new from $35.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cute and has pockets! What more could you want?, November 24, 2014
I had some reservations about this coat from reviews, but the price was hard to beat. So I decided to take a chance and give it a try. I am so glad I did!

I got the XL (US Medium) and it fits perfectly. It is a little restricting in the shoulders for things like reaching your arms above your head or touching your toes, nothing too bad. But I have worn it all day several times without ever being uncomfortable (and that is very important to me).
Unlike many other reviewers, I love the ruffle. It comes attached to only some of the buttons, so you have to attach the rest yourself. Its not very hard. Or if you don't like the ruffle, then it is easy to take off.
This coat does have pockets. They are placed a little further back than I had expected, which initially lead me to believe they weren't even there. But they are. The discovery of the pockets made this my favorite coat in my wardrobe!
Also, this coat is pretty warm. With how cheap it was I worried that it would be made of a cheap, thin material that would provide little protection against the cold. But while it is possible that it is made of cheap material (I actually think it is decent quality), it is quite warm.

My only complaint is that the buttons were sewed on with like two stitches. I am definitely going to have to sew a button back on at some point.

UPDATE 2/26/15: Despite expectations, the buttons have not fallen off. I have worn this coat a bunch since writing the review and still love it just as much.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20