Profile for Jeremy Deats > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 89

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeremy Deats RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
EVH Premium Electric Guitar Strings, .009 - .042
EVH Premium Electric Guitar Strings, .009 - .042
Price: $6.99
5 used & new from $4.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for EVH Wolfgang's, designd to be played "dead", March 2, 2015
These are the strings that come stock on all EVH Wolfgang guitars equipped with a Floyd Rose. They are very bright and don't last long, but then again they aren't really meant to be played while still shimmering with that new string, bright tone., if you've put them on an EVH guitar and are playing though a 5150 III, Marshall Plexi, etc.. trying to get the "brown sound" these strings will warm up after a few weeks of play... I don't know why this is the case and if you try it with any other guitar they will just sound like dead strings... I think it has to do with the way the EVH pickups are voiced, it's as if they are designed to pair with dead nickle plated strings. This is pretty much confirmed int he EVH Wolfgang users guide where in the "Note from Ed" section Van Halen says "I never change my strings".

Spotify Connect
Spotify Connect
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars It simply doesn't work in the USA, February 14, 2015
This review is from: Spotify Connect (App)
The app is designed to be a conduit; that is you don't sign into it, it just broadcast it's self on the network and then on your iPad or IOS device you are suppose to be able to launch Spotify, click on Connect and then see your FireTV device in the list. You then select the device and begin streaming your playlist.... The problem is it doesn't work in the US (according to Spotify). You can download the app but when you attempt to find it over the network connection FireTV will not show up in the list. This is a problem that no one can solve. Amazon does not care. Spotify says they don't provide support for the app on FireTV. I am connecting via WiFI on phone and FireTV and I have a stand alone FireTV unit with latest updates, and latest Spotify app updates on both. There is no excuse, this is just a poorly supported app that doesn't work apparently due to region restrictions (although there seems to be some conflicting information on that in these reviews). Amazon should make fixing this a propriety since they use Spotify in their advertising for FireTV. I'm furious at Amazon and Spotify over the problem but have accepted neither vendor really cares.

Martin SP 7100 Phosphor Bronze Lifespan Coated Acoustic Strings Light
Martin SP 7100 Phosphor Bronze Lifespan Coated Acoustic Strings Light
Price: $14.99
28 used & new from $4.40

3.0 out of 5 stars These are the best sounding coated Phosphor Bronze strings, February 8, 2015
These are the best sounding coated Phosphor Bronze strings. The Elixir Nanoweb's don't last as long and are missing something in tone. D'Addario EXPs eventually sound good but they take some time to break in and continue to squeak. LifeSpan coated strings are very bright and sound great on Martin D series and other dreads where the player wants a bright tone, the only problem is they are very stiff and tend to break easily when changing. I've never wasted more strings do to breaks during string changes than Martin LifeSpan's; You have to be very careful with these strings. Once you get them on there usually ins't a problem.

EVH Guitar Gig Bag, Black with Red Interior
EVH Guitar Gig Bag, Black with Red Interior
Price: $69.99
5 used & new from $65.09

3.0 out of 5 stars A good choice for EVH owners without a case., February 2, 2015
If you own a EVH series guitar that did not come with a case then this is the official after market gig bag option from Fender for EVH Standard series and EVH Striped series. I like the red material inside the gig bag which is the same material inside the EVH cases. It will keep your guitar from getting scratched, but I think the bag itself should be better padded.

Korg Vox APJS amPlug Joe Satriani Guitar Headphone Amp
Korg Vox APJS amPlug Joe Satriani Guitar Headphone Amp
Price: $49.99
17 used & new from $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by this little guy. Makes practicing electric guitar effortless at an affordable price., February 2, 2015
if the Vox JS Amplug didn't bear Joe Satriani's signature on it it could have been labeled "Modern Rock". I was looking for ampug to give me a modern rock sound suitable for playing Satch to Van Halen. I was torn between the VOX Classic Rock and JS Amplug and I'm really glad I went with the JS for the delay effect. I already own a Pocket POD and like it's sound quality but hate that I have to keep a guitar chord handy. The great thing about the Vox Amplug is that it's very simple. You just plug in and go. There's an aux input to jam along with MP3 player/backing tracks. Controls are simple: Gain, Tone and Volume. I found the tone control very useful in dialing in a sweet spot. The delay effect is fixed and doesn't offer parameters, it's either on or off, but when on it's just right. The manual says the delay settings are from Joe Satriani and based on his sound from the Time Machine album. Time Machine was always one of my favorite Satch albums so maybe that's why I like it, I'm not sure. In general this is just a great modern rock sound. If you think of the Vox Amplug classic as being modeled on a 70s Marshall head and the Metal amplug being based on Mesa Boogie, then the APJS is more along the lines of the Peavey 5150 (I believe that was the amp Satch was using during Time Machine era). Like it so much I intend to buy a few more. Thinking of getting the Vox amPlug Twin and the AC30 models to keep in my Fender Stratocaster case.

EVH Wolfgang Standard - Gloss Black, Floyd Rose
EVH Wolfgang Standard - Gloss Black, Floyd Rose
Price: $549.99
6 used & new from $549.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a great value., January 28, 2015
If you're looking to spend about $500 solid rock/metal guitar with very good electronics and floyd rose this is a serious contender. Competitors include Ibanez RG series, Asian built Music Man AXIS line and the recently reintroduced single humbucker, solid body Kramer's. The Wolfgang Standard is a real EVH/Fender product. The vendor confirmed the electronics from the pots to pickups are identical to the high-end Wolfgang models costing thousands of dollars. The Floyd Rose unit on these are also excellent. I tuned mine, locked the nut and them tried for 30 minutes to make it go out of tune, doing ridiculous dive bombs, etc... It's a pro grade Floyd Rose unit on these. So where did they cut corners to offer these for $500? The frets are not stainless steel and they are jumbo (pretty common and the same on most guitars at this price point), it's body is solid basswood (like the other EVH models) but it does not have a quilted maple cap (the ones at this price point that have the maple cap have a thin maple cap not a veneer like the Axis models), the neck has the same radius and nut width as the high end models but it's not Birdseye and it's not quarter-swan, tuners are not name brand (but they do hold tune well), it's made in Indonisa and the the USA (random coincidental tidbit, Eddie Van Halen's mother is Indonesian) also I should ass that you don't get a case or gigbag on the EVH Standard series but you don't get a case or gig bag with the stripped series EVH models either and those retail for a few hundred more than the EVH Standard series and come with the same bridge pickup.

Note: most major music retailers are carrying this model for fifty dollars less than amazon sells it for.

TASCAM DR-40 4-Track Portable Digital Recorder
TASCAM DR-40 4-Track Portable Digital Recorder
Offered by MBM Sales
Price: Click here to see our price
64 used & new from $150.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds excellent. The condenser microphones here are interesting, January 19, 2015
Solid construction. Sounds excellent. The condenser microphones here are interesting. From my test I would say comparable to budget condenser microphones in the $100-$200 price range (suitable for film projects). Overall feature set is great for the price. I have an acoustic amp which powers my vocals and guitar with DI output. I run sometimes run an XLR cable from my amp into the DR-40 and record in mono. It's a easy way to get a high quality sound board recording without having to run to a soundboard (think coffee shop gigs where your amp is the PA). You can of course also run from a soundboard into it and get a stereo mix as well. Another great application for this device is to tie shoe string around it, wear it like a necklace, plug ear buds (or in-ear monitors) into the headphone jack and turn on the active monitor feature on. This is great for unplugged busking situations where you'd like a monitor and recording of your set (note the smaller TASCAM recorder is actually better suited for the live monitor purpose because it tucks away in a shirt better). The effects are pretty good here too. My only compliant (and it's a big one) is that this little guy eats though batteries fast. I use it as a monitor when practicing. I practice 45-minutes to an hour and a half a day and doing that I find myself changing batteries every 3-4 days. A built in rechargeable battery combined and the ability to the use the USB out with record software (so the DR-40 could be used as a mic for Pro Tools, etc) would bump it up to five stars for me but unfortunately those things are missing here. Also since the DR-40 is a four channel recordings there's a real missed opportunity by TASCAM to bake 4-track recording features into this little guy. If you're thinking you can lay a bass guitar down on Channel 1 left and then a lead guitar on channel 1 right, then put vocals on channel 2 left and right, yeah it just doesn't work that way. It gives you those sort of features (with overdub) in a 2-track capacity (two stereo channels which each get their own files).

EVH Wolfgang WG-T Standard Electric Guitar (Black)
EVH Wolfgang WG-T Standard Electric Guitar (Black)
Offered by Sam Ash
Price: $499.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, January 9, 2015
Got a chance to spend about 20 minutes with one of these today. I've been a fan of EVH style guitars since the original Ernie Ball model and have followed their evolution. Having had some bad experiences with Korean made Peavey Wolfgang's I didn't expect much from the import EVH models but I must say I'm very impressed with this guitar. The overall feel of the neck and factory setup here match the higher dollar models. The pickups are also identical to the high end model. Also note that for about $50 more you can get the model with a real quilted maple top, that's an amazing deal considering Ernie Ball charges around $800 USD for their import Axis (original EVH renamed) which only comes with a veneer maple top. Only negative is the toggle switches on these are fragile.

Draftmark 1-Pack Tap System, NBABPD1500-000
Draftmark 1-Pack Tap System, NBABPD1500-000
Offered by Caudill Man
Price: $39.50
22 used & new from $18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup. I'm hard to please and this little ..., December 31, 2014
Easy setup. I'm hard to please and this little unit delivers draft beer taste at hone. I love IPA style beer and the Goose Island IPA available for this unit is my favorite. 10 days since I "tapped" the bottle and it still taste fresh. Good design just wish more beers were available.

Man Against Machine
Man Against Machine
Price: $11.88
85 used & new from $4.68

2.0 out of 5 stars ... listening for a few weeks now really trying to like this one but I just can't, December 29, 2014
This review is from: Man Against Machine (Audio CD)
I've been listening for a few weeks now really trying to like this one but I just can't. There are some great songs here, but they sound very dated and the lyrics are often downright bad. For example in one of the stronger tracks She's Tired of Boys we get lines like "I guess you could say we hit it off right from the start / that much difference in age it ain’t a question of heart" and "Bout the demons that we dread / Then we went back to her place and put our fears to rest". Then you have the overall composite of songs here which seems disingenuous. We have Mom which is Hallmark movie wrapped in a song then we have the title track which is trying to appease a very different crowd (albeit to some very toned-down production work with as much Nashville polish as one can put on a powerful song like this to remove all it's thunder) it's a contrast that just doesn't work. As a collection of work, if this album has a message it is "I'm Garth brooks and I can do everything". The problem is the passion is gone, the vocals are over tuned and the life is sucked out of them from overuse of effects. Some of the songs are very strong, but none are well produced for what Garth is known for and as a collection it sounds like an album from the mid 90s. Guitars are toned down when they should be loud and the mix overall is clear but very boxy. It's not necessary poorly engineered it's just the style of production of Man Against Machine is the epitome of the over-polish Nashville sound. While all chart-toping country has a degree of it, more modern artist have found creative ways to fuse pop production techniques in and deliver something that sound fresh. However on this album it's just overbearing, it sounds like old trying to be new and I really don't care for it at all...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2015 8:17 PM PST