Profile for R.Parklane > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1435

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R.Parklane RSS Feed (Hong Kong)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Good Place
A Good Place

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an impactful little story, October 27, 2014
This review is from: A Good Place (Kindle Edition)
This may be less than a two hours read but this little story is just beautifully done. Quiet, gentle, tender, kind and honest it left a lasting impact long after I finished it. It may be a short story but there is nothing short about the slow burning romance as these guys learn about each other to finally accept and love each other. I love Jesse's patience as he slowly draws Con out of his shell. I love Con's care for Jesse who will always come first. And I thought the impact of Con's PTSD on their relationship is so well portrayed. There is no miracle cure but to be accepted and lived with and as a result become stronger in their love for each other. I wish the writer has given this little gem a much better cover.

It Started With The Garden (Not So Different Book 1)
It Started With The Garden (Not So Different Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much to the plot after a while.., October 26, 2014
How to put this. As a mild gay romance this one reads fine. The beginning of the story is interesting as we get to understand both guys and what they have been through. But once they are together, the story is quite boring as there is not much to the plot. This one works better as a novella. However I will read the next one offered by this writer as long as it is under Kindle unlimited.

A Death at the Dionysus Club (Julian Lynes and Ned Mathey series Book 2)
A Death at the Dionysus Club (Julian Lynes and Ned Mathey series Book 2)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, thoughtful, suspenseful, engaging. Even better than the first book., October 26, 2014
I do declare this second book is even better than the 1st one Death by Silver (Julian Lynes and Ned Mathey series Book 1) in this series. As in the 1st book, I enjoy the well crafted setting of Victorian London. I love that the writers have taken the guys' British reserved romance, restrained by the times, to a more realistic level where they are forced to examine their feelings if what they have is to survive. Both guys are such charming characters, Julian the more rebellious one with less regard for the law and Ned the more restrained one but no less valiant. The mystery part of the plot with its magic and supernatural aspect is most intriguing as layers are revealed with each death, the last part have me riveted to my seat even if I know our heroes will make it! The new development with Ned's permanent engagement by the police certainly adds more depth to the guys' investigation.
What really stands out in this book is how well the writers examined the gay community during that time. The dangers if discovered, who could protect them, not only from hostile outside forces but from their "own kind", the malice within the gay community itself where the vulnerable ones are abused, and yet the need to preserve the community and its clubs because it is so vital for their sanity. All these is seamlessly weaved into the story which at its core is a supernatural mystery permeated by a sense of urgency as the number of bodies piled up. This second book with its quality writing is such a pleasure to read and I hope there is much more to come, Please!

Jay Walking (Peckers Book 1)
Jay Walking (Peckers Book 1)
Price: $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cute and downright hilarious., October 23, 2014
This one kept me thoroughly entertained, laughing aloud (and that is right weird with people around) for close to 2 hours. Jay and Simon are such a cute pair. You already have an idea from the cover. I enjoy the tongue in cheek humor and numerous parts are downright hilarious. My favorite is Jay (in his bird form) preening, shimmying, proudly performing his mating dance in front of a clueless and stunned Simon. This is so original and hysterically funny. Then there are the birds puns which are just crazily funny. A most unique avian shifter story. Some may complain about the instant attraction/love but it fits the story because it is a comedy. My only niggle is its length but no complaint about the price because it is worth it.

Cutting Out
Cutting Out
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the setting in New Zealand., October 21, 2014
This review is from: Cutting Out (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy this one. I was on holiday in New Zealand for two weeks and really love this beautiful and peaceful country. So the setting of the story in NZ with the wonderful descriptions is such a pleasure to read. I especially enjoy the camaraderie among the sheep shearers and the writer has certainly done her research, including the slangs. I like both the MCs and their slow burning romance. Sex only starts about 60%+ into the story which is just fine by me! Some maybe frustrated with the guys not having a heart-to-heart talk to sort out their problems but given the time they knew each other I thought it was realistic. Also there was a 15 years difference between Shane and Lachie. This is not a May-December romance but I could understand Shane's hesitation and the impression Lachie gave, before the earthquake forced him to man up, was really of a carefree bloke. Also these are real men with a blue collar job so sitting down and chat about their emotions is probably hard to do.
What made this story special was the Christchurch earthquake and its impact, which I thought the writer has done a great job weaving it into her story. Those pages were such touching scenes. However I do have a few niggles. The brief epilogue is rather disappointing, as if it was just an after though. It sort of created a gap to the story line. It would not "kill" the writer to give us more details on what had transpired to lead to that point which was obviously years later. It is also a pity the writer did not give us more emotional connection between the guys once the major misunderstanding was cleared. The leapt straight to the brief epilogue after they understood each other was such a let down, as if something missing in the flow of the story.

Through A Fog
Through A Fog

5.0 out of 5 stars Love every minute of this one., October 19, 2014
This review is from: Through A Fog (Kindle Edition)
This is such a wonderfully written fantasy. This marvelous trio of a magician, a sailor and their hippogriff really got under my skin. Magical, vivid, charming this little story is gorgeous. And I love the slow paced of the romance. A tad sad but the ending more than made up for it. I just wish there is more adventures of this trio. I have always felt this writer is great in short stories and this again proves my point.

A Possum Christmas
A Possum Christmas

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical MM romance, October 14, 2014
This is your typical MM romance which is easily forgotten one or two weeks later. Nothing really stands out even if it was fun in the beginning when these two guys met and got to know each other. The usual sex and misunderstanding and reconciliation. Even if this is self published, careful editing is appreciated. In the first part of the book, I have no idea who is saying what and the switching between the two guys' viewpoints is so frequent that it is irritating.

Playing Charlie Cool (Trager Family Secrets Book 3)
Playing Charlie Cool (Trager Family Secrets Book 3)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The relationship development between the guys has much to be desired., October 14, 2014
I read this straight afterThe Picture of Cool (Trager Family Secrets Book 1)as I was interested in how it will pan out for Charlie and Joshua. I have to say The Picture of Cool ended very awkwardly even if it was meant to continue, something which a good writer should not do even if it was to tempt the reader to read the sequel. I do not think I miss much in skipping Book 2, nothing essential to Book 3, anyway.

Back to book 3. The writing held my attention as the plot raced on at a good speed but never rushed. Charlie's work as a TV producer of a live talk show is interesting. His keeping his divas in line is a fun read. We also get glimpses of Joshua's round the world preparation to run for Congress . I was never bored but as a relationship and romance between two guys, much more could have been explored. I never got the connection between Charlie and Joshua. I am not talking about the lack of graphic sex because I am all for no graphic sex in my gay romance. There is just not enough focus on their romance or relationship development. I can count the number of times these two were physically together. There were more scenes on Charlie hanging out with his best friend! Is it because this is the writer's first full blown MM novel and she really does not know how to write a gay relationship adequately? Joshua's asking for space and time, Charlie wanting to be patient, illicit meetings, phone conversations over distance, misunderstandings then all is forgiven as the major problem hanging over Joshua's custody of his kids was miraculously and conveniently resolved. That about sum up their relationship. There was no heart-to-heart emotional exchanges between the two. I could not find the love between them and I still do not understand what Charlie saw in Joshua. Another major issue was that these guys' relationship was a result of an illicit affair. This is never an easy subject in a story and the writer has really not handle it well. Too conveniently and easily resolved. I recommend the writer to read the excellent In His Secret Life to get a lesson on weaving this taboo subject in a gay relationship/romance.

rock
rock
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a story., October 12, 2014
This review is from: rock (Kindle Edition)
First this is not a YA story. It is a touching love story so well expressed, spanning years, from the time the guys were teens until in their twenties. I especially love Cooper. Cooper's love for rocks is such a fascinating aspect of the story. A sensitive child, Cooper's need for rocks to ground him and soothe his pain just moves me. So many different types of rocks, with the writer giving details on their meanings and even some of their origins. How the meaning of each rock is woven into the story is a marvel, even magical. But it is not only a love story. It is also about families, a family born into and a family made not by choice but forced by circumstances but ultimately just as important.

The beginning of the story really pulls me in. A twelve years old Cooper forced to face betrayal by the most important person in this young life, forced to choose sides, except that it was not even possible to choose. How he and his sister grew to accept and love their two "new" families is such an integral part of the story, at times heart breaking.

How Cooper met Jace for the first time is an unforgettable scene because it was such a betrayal at the same time. These two boys were really tested through the years as their relationship grew from Cooper at first wishing only to hate this boy who broke his family, to grudging acceptance, to friendship, to brothers and finally to love. But a love with a shadow hanging over it, an unrequited love, slow burn, aching and so much yearnings. There were a lot of times when I wish to shake Jace because my Cooper was suffering so. But the story is told with Cooper's voice. I soon realize Jace was suffering too. And the years as these two boys yearned for each other only strengthen their love. The day when they came to an important crossroad, when the answer to "that question" is no longer needed or even mattered is such a beautiful moment in their love.

I also have to say something on the secondary characters and their impact on Cooper's live. Cooper's two best friends support during Cooper's coming out was wonderful. Cooper's headstrong sister is such a credible character and their sibling love is so real. Last but not least are the parents. These "adults" are so well portrayed, their love for their sons, the pain they went through palpable and real.

This is such a gem of a story, filled with emotions and love. Love the writing and highly recommended.

The Boy With The Painful Tattoo: Holmes & Moriarity 3
The Boy With The Painful Tattoo: Holmes & Moriarity 3
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So worth the wait. Gorgeous 3rd book!, October 9, 2014
This one really taxed the highlight function in my kindle as I kept highlighting sentences, phases which I wish to reread and reread. Josh is really in top form here. His writing is amazing. A great mystery which kept me interested and guessing, witty dialogue, interesting secondary characters, cameo appearances of my number one favorite couple and most of all Kit and JX as they enter the most emotional phase of their relationship. I love Kit's character. I love his directness, self deprecating, irony, self absorption and anti social behavior. His inner monologue is just so crazily lovable, whacky, funny, self absorbed and involving. It is just amazing how Josh intersperses the serious aspects of the plot with witty, at times hilarious, and memorable smart lines.

The mystery itself with a lot of thrilling moments (my favorite is that creepy motel) is top notch as I never could have guessed how it all enfolded. The stalker aspect is really good as it adds creepiness to the plot and somehow managed not to sidetrack the main plot. What I appreciate most is that the romance is as much the focus as the mystery, if not more. It is such the perfect balance. There are real issues in their relationship as they struggle to make it work. I love that Kit is finally willing to take that leap of faith. I love that JX is not as cool as he seems when the guy just hurts when the insecure side of Kit explodes in his face. This two is so great together and I love that most of the book have them together. Really it is like having the pleasure of observing a favorite couple living a real life except that their life is filled with love, excitement and suspense.

Now I just have to say something about that cameo. No fiction couple can replace Adrien and Jake who remain affixed in my brain because I frequently reread these two. I am certainly in the majority of Josh's fans who want more of them. To see them from the outside which is through Kit's eyes is quite something. So this cameo really "comforted" me because I "see" that my favorite couple is living well together. OK I sound crazy but hey! So thank you Josh. I love this cross overs of couples from other books by Josh and this is the second time. I hope he continues to do that because I savor a "ah-ha" moment.

I realize I am gushing a bit but this one is so worth the wait. It is a definite winner to be reread and reread. And those Ms Butterwith's titles are hilarious!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20