Profile for R.Parklane > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1430

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R.Parklane RSS Feed (Hong Kong)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Through A Fog
Through A Fog

5.0 out of 5 stars Love every minute of this one., October 19, 2014
This review is from: Through A Fog (Kindle Edition)
This is such a wonderfully written fantasy. This marvelous trio of a magician, a sailor and their hippogriff really got under my skin. Magical, vivid, charming this little story is gorgeous. And I love the slow paced of the romance. A tad sad but the ending more than made up for it. I just wish there is more adventures of this trio. I have always felt this writer is great in short stories and this again proves my point.

A Possum Christmas
A Possum Christmas

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical MM romance, October 14, 2014
This is your typical MM romance which is easily forgotten one or two weeks later. Nothing really stands out even if it was fun in the beginning when these two guys met and got to know each other. The usual sex and misunderstanding and reconciliation. Even if this is self published, careful editing is appreciated. In the first part of the book, I have no idea who is saying what and the switching between the two guys' viewpoints is so frequent that it is irritating.

Playing Charlie Cool (Trager Family Secrets Book 3)
Playing Charlie Cool (Trager Family Secrets Book 3)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The relationship development between the guys has much to be desired., October 14, 2014
I read this straight afterThe Picture of Cool (Trager Family Secrets Book 1)as I was interested in how it will pan out for Charlie and Joshua. I have to say The Picture of Cool ended very awkwardly even if it was meant to continue, something which a good writer should not do even if it was to tempt the reader to read the sequel. I do not think I miss much in skipping Book 2, nothing essential to Book 3, anyway.

Back to book 3. The writing held my attention as the plot raced on at a good speed but never rushed. Charlie's work as a TV producer of a live talk show is interesting. His keeping his divas in line is a fun read. We also get glimpses of Joshua's round the world preparation to run for Congress . I was never bored but as a relationship and romance between two guys, much more could have been explored. I never got the connection between Charlie and Joshua. I am not talking about the lack of graphic sex because I am all for no graphic sex in my gay romance. There is just not enough focus on their romance or relationship development. I can count the number of times these two were physically together. There were more scenes on Charlie hanging out with his best friend! Is it because this is the writer's first full blown MM novel and she really does not know how to write a gay relationship adequately? Joshua's asking for space and time, Charlie wanting to be patient, illicit meetings, phone conversations over distance, misunderstandings then all is forgiven as the major problem hanging over Joshua's custody of his kids was miraculously and conveniently resolved. That about sum up their relationship. There was no heart-to-heart emotional exchanges between the two. I could not find the love between them and I still do not understand what Charlie saw in Joshua. Another major issue was that these guys' relationship was a result of an illicit affair. This is never an easy subject in a story and the writer has really not handle it well. Too conveniently and easily resolved. I recommend the writer to read the excellent In His Secret Life to get a lesson on weaving this taboo subject in a gay relationship/romance.

rock
rock
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a story., October 12, 2014
This review is from: rock (Kindle Edition)
First this is not a YA story. It is a touching love story so well expressed, spanning years, from the time the guys were teens until in their twenties. I especially love Cooper. Cooper's love for rocks is such a fascinating aspect of the story. A sensitive child, Cooper's need for rocks to ground him and soothe his pain just moves me. So many different types of rocks, with the writer giving details on their meanings and even some of their origins. How the meaning of each rock is woven into the story is a marvel, even magical. But it is not only a love story. It is also about families, a family born into and a family made not by choice but forced by circumstances but ultimately just as important.

The beginning of the story really pulls me in. A twelve years old Cooper forced to face betrayal by the most important person in this young life, forced to choose sides, except that it was not even possible to choose. How he and his sister grew to accept and love their two "new" families is such an integral part of the story, at times heart breaking.

How Cooper met Jace for the first time is an unforgettable scene because it was such a betrayal at the same time. These two boys were really tested through the years as their relationship grew from Cooper at first wishing only to hate this boy who broke his family, to grudging acceptance, to friendship, to brothers and finally to love. But a love with a shadow hanging over it, an unrequited love, slow burn, aching and so much yearnings. There were a lot of times when I wish to shake Jace because my Cooper was suffering so. But the story is told with Cooper's voice. I soon realize Jace was suffering too. And the years as these two boys yearned for each other only strengthen their love. The day when they came to an important crossroad, when the answer to "that question" is no longer needed or even mattered is such a beautiful moment in their love.

I also have to say something on the secondary characters and their impact on Cooper's live. Cooper's two best friends support during Cooper's coming out was wonderful. Cooper's headstrong sister is such a credible character and their sibling love is so real. Last but not least are the parents. These "adults" are so well portrayed, their love for their sons, the pain they went through palpable and real.

This is such a gem of a story, filled with emotions and love. Love the writing and highly recommended.

The Boy With The Painful Tattoo: Holmes & Moriarity 3
The Boy With The Painful Tattoo: Holmes & Moriarity 3
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So worth the wait. Gorgeous 3rd book!, October 9, 2014
This one really taxed the highlight function in my kindle as I kept highlighting sentences, phases which I wish to reread and reread. Josh is really in top form here. His writing is amazing. A great mystery which kept me interested and guessing, witty dialogue, interesting secondary characters, cameo appearances of my number one favorite couple and most of all Kit and JX as they enter the most emotional phase of their relationship. I love Kit's character. I love his directness, self deprecating, irony, self absorption and anti social behavior. His inner monologue is just so crazily lovable, whacky, funny, self absorbed and involving. It is just amazing how Josh intersperses the serious aspects of the plot with witty, at times hilarious, and memorable smart lines.

The mystery itself with a lot of thrilling moments (my favorite is that creepy motel) is top notch as I never could have guessed how it all enfolded. The stalker aspect is really good as it adds creepiness to the plot and somehow managed not to sidetrack the main plot. What I appreciate most is that the romance is as much the focus as the mystery, if not more. It is such the perfect balance. There are real issues in their relationship as they struggle to make it work. I love that Kit is finally willing to take that leap of faith. I love that JX is not as cool as he seems when the guy just hurts when the insecure side of Kit explodes in his face. This two is so great together and I love that most of the book have them together. Really it is like having the pleasure of observing a favorite couple living a real life except that their life is filled with love, excitement and suspense.

Now I just have to say something about that cameo. No fiction couple can replace Adrien and Jake who remain affixed in my brain because I frequently reread these two. I am certainly in the majority of Josh's fans who want more of them. To see them from the outside which is through Kit's eyes is quite something. So this cameo really "comforted" me because I "see" that my favorite couple is living well together. OK I sound crazy but hey! So thank you Josh. I love this cross overs of couples from other books by Josh and this is the second time. I hope he continues to do that because I savor a "ah-ha" moment.

I realize I am gushing a bit but this one is so worth the wait. It is a definite winner to be reread and reread. And those Ms Butterwith's titles are hilarious!

Aspect Of Winter (Seasons Rising Book 1)
Aspect Of Winter (Seasons Rising Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful surprise!, October 5, 2014
I love well written young adults books featuring gay protagonist and this one is just that and more because it is also a great fantasy. I was glued to the book until the last sentence because I just could not tear myself away. It is easy to make comparison to Harry Potter series but this is not Harry Porter. Fay, Sam and Tyler are older characters with their problems. The guys have sexuality and relationship to deal with while Sam never got over the death of her mother. I love the friendship between Fay and "kick-ass" Sam and the romance between the boys is sweet. It is not really a coming out story but I like that the writer treat bisexuality as if it is just a norm. The contrasting personalities between the boys and Sam provides a lot of fun in these three friends' bantering. But this is foremost a fantasy and the plot is really exciting with lots of suspense, action and magics. The battle scenes are captivating and vivid and handled so well. Winter is my favorite season and so Fay's magical abilities is just so cool! Even if this is Book 1, I did not see the final pages coming and therefore the ending really resonates. If this is the writer's debut it is very impressive and bravo indeed. My only problem is when is the next book. As Book 1 ends with "..Behind me, the stones on the beach were covered in a thin layer of frost..", I can't wait to read more of Fay's fate and such a lot of questions to be answered.

Then the Stars Fall
Then the Stars Fall
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So much honest and genuine feelings in this one., October 2, 2014
This story is filled with so much honest and genuine emotions and feelings. What Travis had with his dead wife, the developing love between Travis and Wesley, the love between man and his dog, the strong bond among Travis's three children, the love between Travis and his kids, all are convincingly and movingly expressed. Travis, Wesley, the children, Wendy and even Shannon are such well developed and likable characters. Shannon may be dead but it seems she is still alive as she lived through Travis' love for her.

The story is told from the two guys' viewpoints, interrupted by a viewpoint each from six important secondary characters and it works because we get to know and appreciate these secondary characters more. I especially love the children's views which give such a refreshing tone to the story. The writer really gets how a child feels. Quiet little Mason is just adorable, Caleb is such a great young man and little Avery acting out her favorite disney characters at the expense of her twin yet protective of her twin is sweet.

This is no girly fluffy romance between Travis and Wesley. Theirs is a credible and touching journey as one man could never cease loving his dead wife and the other has to take a leap of faith and believe he will not come second for the man and the family he has grown to love. There are no pages of filler sex, but real, moving and true emotions. I also like the small town setting and I though the writer has done a great job on the reaction of this small town to one of their own men falling for the gay vet, new in town. Over 360 pages, this book is so worth it and it has definitely earned a place in the best contemporary romances in the mm genre. Actually I will say gay romance fiction which gives this book more credibility. Highly recommended. And now to look up other books by this writer.

Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities
Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sci-fi I have read in a while. Brilliant!, September 29, 2014
If you are a fan of Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts you must read this continuation. This second book is even better. The writer really excels in her world building skills and her two characters. Ondry and Liam are just fascinating. I love this couple. Theirs is not the normal romance. So if you are looking for the boring pages of typical MM sex then look elsewhere. But then you are probably not a sci-fi fan because this is one of the best sci-fi fictions I have read in a while. This is not to say there is no romance. If anything the bond, love and trust between Ondry and Liam are so well expressed in their actions and between the lines, so subtle but absolutely convincing and touching. This has to be the best interpretation of a human and alien interspecies relationship and their dom/sub dynamics only make it more interesting and memorable. Ondry has to be the best Dom I have read. He is totally in control and never waver in his protection, love (as a Rownt knows it) and nurturing of his "palteia." There is no emotional breakdown or sudden role reversal like a human Dom, which MM BDSM romances loves to explore and often ends up annoyingly pathetic. But then Ondry is not a human, lol.

What I love about this sequel is the story is told from both Ondry's and Liam's view points. It is just fascinating how Ondry perceive the humans. Time and again I have to pause and marvel at the writer's analysis of human's emotions, weirdness, societal values, culture and so call norms, agreeing with Ondry's view of how unwarranted and pointless human's certain behaviors are. Liam's viewpoints is just as absorbing as he finds himself losing his human traits and instead thinking, feeling and responding like a Rownt. Not that this is a loss as Liam prosper as a human being as a result.

The plot itself is intelligent, intricate, multi-layered, deep and at times invoke some "aha" response from this reader. There is no dull page even if there is only one action scene. It is the writer's use of words, her amazing imagination, the exchanges between alien and human, among aliens and among humans which is just captivating, totally capturing this reader's attention. The writer has really created a truly credible and likable, even enviable, alien race. So much so that I found myself siding with the Rownt and wishing ills on the humans, (my own kind!) when a confrontation seems inevitable.

This is such a fitting continuation of the series and I hope fervently it is a series. It ends satisfactorily but left me with a hunger for much more of this universe Lyn Gala has created. The writer has really excel with this one. This should be read by all sci-fi fans and to sum it up, brilliant is the word.

The Mating of Michael (Sex in Seattle Book 3)
The Mating of Michael (Sex in Seattle Book 3)
Price: $5.79

4.0 out of 5 stars A good one in this usual MM romance genre., September 16, 2014
I do like this one and practically read it straight through. Michael is a lovely character with his big giving heart and kindness. James is likable too and I really feel for this guy. The writer shows her brilliance as a writer when she relates James' sad childhood and his suicidal state at one point, which have me in tears. I enjoy their developing romance but I feel there is not enough focus on it. I want more time for them to be together and less time given to Michael's interaction with his patients, in particular one patient named Lem. Another little niggle is that even if it says 237 pages, I am sure there are less word count for a novel. Maybe it is because this writer started off giving us shorts and novellas and has yet to get the feel for a true novel. That said I do enjoy every bit of this story (minus that long interaction with Lem) and I love those little excerpts on James' Sentimental Cyanide. I would love it if the writer is to give us a story out of it!

Love Is A Stranger
Love Is A Stranger
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex characters and a equally complicated relationship. Love it., September 15, 2014
This one is so different from the usual cheesy MM romances out there. This writer can write! Ben and Nikolas are no vanilla characters. Call them special forces, secret agents, black-ops, soldiers for hire, even a little of James Bond, there is no doubt the complexity of these two guys including their very dark pasts. Equally complex is their very convoluted relationship which as a reader I never know what to expect. As the plot progresses there are a lot of twists and turns on the true identities of these two especially the so enigmatic Nikolas. I was just totally caught up in these two complex characters and the growing depth of their bond. Most of all I love that there is no girly fluff in their romance. Then there is the thrilling plot with its drawn out tension, filled with suspense which have me sometimes breathless because I was waiting for something bad to happen to either of them. The story does end somewhat in a cliff hanger when Nikolas twisted past caught up with them. But fortunately their relationship is not in a limbo because there is no doubt the desperate need one has for the other. Oh I have to mention their dog who is quite a character himself, lol. And of course the sex which I thought was well done, graphic but never chessy or gratuitous. And I did not skip any scene, which for me is a rare thing so many MM romances later. I am so glad the 2nd and 3rd book are already out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20