Profile for R.Parklane > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1415

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R.Parklane RSS Feed (Hong Kong)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rescued
Rescued
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic and nothing memorable., August 27, 2014
This review is from: Rescued (Kindle Edition)
This one is getting rave reviews and top of the best selling gay romance list. There are dogs so of course I can't resist. However I am disappointed as it did not work for me. This is the writer's debut but I have read better writing from first releases. As for the characters and plot, maybe I could like it if I am new to the MM genre. But after so many MM romances later, this one is just meh. Nothing memorable about it. Both plot line and all the characters are very formulaic, just a mixture from other contemporary MM romances. It gets boring after a while and I found myself impatient with the development of the story which has been done so many times. I could not stand the sex scenes which drag and the exchanges between the two MCs are so cheesy that I could not skim fast enough. DO gay men really talk like that during sex, I hope not! As for the two MCs, they are boring because they are just so nice, so vulnerable and so sensitive. Then there is the wicked mother who is so overboard nasty that one wondered how the brilliant lawyer husband and his two sons could tolerate her all these years and not act on it. Come on! The romance between the two MCs are so typical. Ryder has been dumped, afraid to commit but of course quickly fell for Jason. The seemingly straight Jason who recently broke off with his awful pea brained girlfriend of many years of course quickly turned GFY for Ryder. The only part I applaud the writer is her message on saving abused dogs including pit bulls but even so the dogs featured in the story do not feel real. Seriously I do not understand why the rave reviews..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 9:59 AM PDT

Murder on the Mountain
Murder on the Mountain

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable crime romance, August 24, 2014
I love a detective/amateur sleuth pairing and Kyle/Jesse fit these roles nicely. I like both guys but wish there is more background on them. Their romance is the usual instant thing but easily forgiven as this is foremost a crime mystery. The suspects in the crime are an interesting bunch and the writer has done a fine job on each person's background. I have heard of Mount Washington and am quite intrigued by the ideal of it being the setting for the plot. A most interesting place and I really enjoy the murder mystery. I never guessed the culprit and have to say I am quite taken back and sad at the revelation.

The Family We Make (Finding Family Book 2)
The Family We Make (Finding Family Book 2)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A deeply meaningful story which resonates long after I finished., August 19, 2014
This second book is not an easy read but a must read because of the depth in the issues it deal with. This is Rick's, Travis and Sam's stories. Told from these guys' POV the beginning is a bit annoying because of the POV switch by chapters. But this changes as the plot reveal the issues Rick and Travis have to face. I have to say I did not see it coming for Travis. So darn unfair and my heart aches for this character but applaud the writer for doing it because it is all so real. I started off impatient with Rick and Travis as these young men navigate their attraction and budding romance. Personally I could do away with some of their sex scenes which fortunately are mitigated due to the length of the book. My favorite character is Sam and darn it he is a straight guy in this MM genre I love. I found myself loving his relationship with Dora. Mind you I would not mind reading a 3rd book focusing on Sam and Dora and this is saying alot as I have stop reading het romance for years. This is a well written, relevant story with so much depth dealing with difficult issues. I come away sad but hopeful for these guys. I just wish these biological parents could have been better people because these two boys deserve it. Well done Kaje Harper and please give us a 3rd book on these family members connected by love, respect and need and not by blood.

After the Frost
After the Frost
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this gentle and poetic book, August 19, 2014
This review is from: After the Frost (Kindle Edition)
There is so much to love about this story. The characters are well defined and interesting. It is so easy to love Julian and root for him to be with William not just for a year but for many many years. I like that their romance takes some time to develop and it is all the more touching and convincing for it. Their love is so gentle and heartwarming with no contrived angst. The writing is lovely, the description of the surroundings and nature so lyrical and poetic that I wish I could be there with these guys. I never know the sound of rain and the feel of the wind could be so beautiful! Julian has been ill since he was a child and seem to be living on borrowed time. We never know what actually plague him. But it does not matter as their story end with hope. Hope is what make their love memorable and I do believe they will be together for a long time. I read this free under Kindle unlimited trial and bought it immediately when I finished because it is such a gem of a story. I hope there is more gay romance from this writer. And such a lovely cover!

Chasing the Dragon
Chasing the Dragon

3.0 out of 5 stars I so wanted to like this one more, August 11, 2014
No doubt there are some great parts in this book. The beginning is especially arresting. Unfortunately the progress of the romance and the development of the plot let the whole story down.

I love Christian's character. A young heroin addict trying to salvage his life, this character is so well written. His vulnerabilities, insecurities, self consciousness and inferiority coming through so well. But the other MC, Jack Hunter's character has much to be desired. He is older than Christian by 15 years, he was a soldier and now a valued mercenary in a private security company but decided to call it quit. After all the hard and dangerous living in his life, I expected Jack to be smarter, stronger and more in control. Instead Jack fell insta-love with Christian, quick to give up on the guy after declaration of love on the same day, when it was so obvious that Christian so dubbed "unfaithful" action was so obviously set up to drive Jack away. Come on Christian was only nineteen and an addict trying to kick his habit. Surely Jack has more patience and tolerance than that if he found himself so in love with the guy even if it is instant love ? All this was told in Part 1 through Jack's viewpoint.

Part 2 is 3 years later and told from Christian's point of view. I like Part 2 better as we see how Christian has grown and matured, finally kicking his heroin habit but still struggles every day not to be tempted to give in to that awesome high feeling of happy forgetfulness. Christian trying to finally live a worthy life easily got under my skin. He was recruited by a private security firm promising him training and a job. Maybe just maybe he has found his worth. But then here comes the revelation and twist, even if it was getting obvious and I was hoping it was not so, that became the weak point of the story. Christian was only recruited because this security company was Jack's same one and wished to control Jack. Surprise! The villains popped up especially one unsavory cold hearted so smart female. Here is another annoying point when Jack is so easily manipulated and deceived by this female villain. Right he is a soldier used to taking commands but come on where is Jack's wisdom and experience from his dangerous job/living overseas all those years ? Enough of this angle of the plot which got me so annoyed and impatient.
Back to the romance. The guys picked it up 3 years later. The instant attraction was still there. Sadly their feelings were never developed more. Within a few days they were back together again as the danger these guys had to face serve to drive them together. Sure the writer tried to "analyze" their feelings in very wordy pages of descriptions but it just come out trying to justify and give more meat to the romance as the writer found herself nearing the end of her story and the desire not to add more pages to her book.

At the end I just find myself disappointed with this one when it started off with so much potential. Christian really deserves a better story to support this well defined and likable character.

Make Do And Mend
Make Do And Mend
Price: $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality gay romance. So much depth., July 28, 2014
This review is from: Make Do And Mend (Kindle Edition)
I love this writer and he has yet to disappoint. His works really deserve many more readers. I am so disappointed that those MM romance selling well are the shallow ones consumed with sex. Set during WWII, Make Do And Mend is a gem of a novel. The atmosphere in this backward Welsh village in 1943 is so authentic, underlined with a melancholic tone. Harry and Jim are such credible and likable characters, their slowly evolving romance so well done. All the secondary characters are really well developed.

The writer really captured the mood of the ordinary Welsh people so well, where life could be snatched away in an instant by the hellish bombings and yet they still have to carry on living with so little because it is the only way. I love both MCs who have their own demons to overcome. Harry is such a wonderful character. He has suffered when he lost his men and lover but his attitude in life remains positive, he is like a beacon in these dark days. The stoic Jim is equally wonderful. Forced to labor in a farm and ridiculed because of his unwavering belief, this conscientious objector remains a gentleman filled with quiet strength. How these two men come together is really beautiful and touching because of the time they lived in. I also love that these two men are surrounded by staunch supporters: Harry's down to earth brother Jack, the vicar who is like a father to these boys and of course one very independent and feisty lady named Kitty. There is so much depth in this story, the exchanges among the characters absorbing and I love the pace of the story. Certain scenes are really memorable. I can so visualize Harry's train ride amidst the bombings when the passengers erupted into a song to drown away the danger overhead. Jim's sitting in a corner with a struggling lamb in his lap. Harry's payment for life's little luxuries called soap. So much to appreciate in this story. Highly recommended.

Hell & High Water (THIRDS Book 1)
Hell & High Water (THIRDS Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars I had higher expectation., July 17, 2014
Like the two "3 stars reviewers" before me, my problem is also the transformation in Dex's character. At the beginning he came across a serious and dedicated detective abandoned by his boyfriend. But once he joined the THIRDS, the guy became clownish and a smart aleck and his comic antics just irritated the heck outta of me. As the story is practically told from Dex's views, he is of course the hero riding to the rescue of the supposedly Alpha of his team at the end. I like the brooding Sloan initially but all too quickly he became too vulnerable which did not fit his status as the team leader and a jaguar shifter. I also don't see the point of some parts of the story told from Sloan's viewpoints. Keep to Dex completely or better still alternate equally between the two. I love mysteries and am always slow at guessing the villain, if at all. But the villain in this case is so obvious, turning caricature toward the end. Another major problem is not enough actions with the shifters in their animal forms interacting with their human partners because isn't this the clutch of THIRDS. As for the romance between Sloan and Dex, it was rather typical and quite boring. Would I buy Book 2 ? Probably because I do like the idea of the THIRDS and the secondary characters but the writer really need to be more imaginative with the plot (how this book ended is already a disappointment) and more complexity in the romance.

Wicklow's Odyssey
Wicklow's Odyssey
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea and would have been better with 1000 locations less, July 12, 2014
This review is from: Wicklow's Odyssey (Kindle Edition)
I love the setting during this sort of alternate version of the American civil war and the idea of this small group of agents, each one so different from the other. I love both MCs and the secondary characters. However there are parts which go round and round, even cumbersome, and really tested my patience. Fortunately the plot is interesting enough to hold my attention as I really want to know who is the traitor and how it all pen out for this ragtag band of spies/agents headed by one intriguing rich gentleman of the North. It is good writing but the writer needs to convey her ideas across with less words. Still a unique story line in the mm romance category and I will still be watching out for her next effort.

All Kinds of Tied Down
All Kinds of Tied Down

3.0 out of 5 stars Could not get into this one, July 7, 2014
Ok after this one I think I have enough of this writer. The MCs interaction is too typical Mary Calmes and after a while I was just bored with them. Their sexual roles was kind of silly which I ended up skipping. As for the action parts there were so many names involved. Miro getting hurt as he hurled himself into action was just inconsistent with this character we were told in the beginning (a little bit of Jory here, huh). And of course Miro with his 4 female best friends is rather formulaic Calmes. The only two parts I like were glimpses of Sam Kage and when one of Miro's 4 female best friends insisted on keeping one loveable wolf like dog named Chickie.

The Art of Breathing (Bear, Otter, and the Kid Chronicles Book 3)
The Art of Breathing (Bear, Otter, and the Kid Chronicles Book 3)
Price: $5.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love this!, June 29, 2014
From Who We Are to the Art of Breathing, this has been a wonderfully fulfilling week of reading for me. Enough has been said of this 3rd book by 59 reviewers before me. All I have to add is that TJ Klune is one extraordinary writer, his style unique. There is no other writer who writes like him. It is just crazily astounding and engrossing, his characters completely captivating and so alive that their dialogues, musings resonate long after I finish the book. Beautiful beautiful Bear and The Kid. My only little niggle is Dominic's action which left me annoyed because The Kid should only have the best. Looking forward to the 4th book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20