Profile for R.Parklane > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1443

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R.Parklane RSS Feed (Hong Kong)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
It's Christmas Everywhere But Here
It's Christmas Everywhere But Here
Price: $3.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a memorable read with so much to appreciate., December 21, 2014
This is so much more than just a Christmas romance. It is a well done family drama where conflicts are real. It is a touching story of a man's love for two kids who may not be his own but his to love and care for because they come with the man he loves. I especially love how Russ interacts with little Austin. Then there is the convincing and honest love between Russ and Dave. Once they are together their emotions are just palpable. There is a tinge of sadness before Dec 25 and i could only smile when Dave turned up unexpectedly. This maybe just a novella but it truly packs a punch when it comes to emotions. Such a memorable read and I will be watching out for this writer.

The Sheltered City
The Sheltered City
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a unique and amazing fantasy. Beautiful characters in a fascinating and compelling world., November 24, 2014
I am so glad to have read this one. John Tristan is a wonderful writer. He has such amazing imagination. The fantasy world he has created here is original and well conceived. Humans, elves, dragons struggling to live together in this strange, bleak and dangerous world which seems to be without hope. The City which could be the last city, sheltered by a gigantic living tree protecting its inhabitants from the dragons and the uninhabitable external environment, humans living on the ground and the elves, the ordained rulers, high up in the trees. Such a unique and compelling world. What is the connection among these three so different beings? The more I read, the more I was captivated and the more I wanted to know. The setting, the world building, the plot are just so rich and fascinating. The melancholy tone which permeates the story is just fitting.

The story is told from Amon's viewpoint. Amon is very likable and the type of hero I love to root for. Hated and feared by his peers Amon is your underdog. He was born with the halfdeath which made him look like a gigantic brute but also gave him special powers but at the cost of half his normal life. He strives to control the rage within him caused by dragon blood because at heart he is just a simple man with a gentle soul. Unwittingly he was plunged into dangers because he could not say no to one elf who had him from the day they met. Caedian is the elf, beautiful, strong yet vulnerable and sweet. Caedian lacks the arrogance typical of his kinsmen, his love for his twin brother moving and my heart just went out to Caedian when he learnt of the betrayal. Amon and Caedian are like your beauty and the beast and I love their chemistry together. A little bit of the instant thing in the beginning but the emotions when they were in exile was so well expressed, Amon's devotion to Caedian especially touching.

The 1st part of the plot is driven by Caedian's search for his missing twin brother. His brother's discovery and the shocking betrayal is the catalyst for the deeper part of the plot where much more is revealed. And now for the ending, which I am still pondering over because it was not predictable and yet fitting to the melancholic tone of the story. But I love these two characters and an epilogue on their fate a few years into the future would have been wonderful. But this is just a reader's whim and I just have to appreciate how it ended for our heroes. This is one amazing and unique fantasy. There is nothing predictable about the plot at all which makes it such a great read. So glad to have another writer to look forward to.

Glycerine (Detective Lane Mysteries)
Glycerine (Detective Lane Mysteries)
Price: $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series., November 24, 2014
I really enjoy this series and this latest does not disappoint. A realistic plot with depth as it deals with the havoc caused by religious hatred and extremists and the revelation toward the end is one touching scene. I do not favor a lot of view points but continue to find myself engaged with the way this writer moves his plot along with the various characters. Of course David Lane is the main voice and he is in such fine form here. I love Lane’s quiet strength as he deals with his job, his new younger partner who needs some reining in and of course his family. I like that there is continuity in the little stories involving Lane’s family and enjoy the family drama, which gives a refreshing side to the story which is foremost a very well done thriller. A great addition to the series and I look forward to much more of Detective Lane.

Desert Foxe (The Skyler Foxe Mysteries Book 5)
Desert Foxe (The Skyler Foxe Mysteries Book 5)
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with action and so much fun. Wonderful characters., November 18, 2014
This 5th installment in this very engaging series is so much fun and action packed. Previous books are restricted to Skyler's viewpoint. But this time I love that all the well loved characters in this series are given their own point of view, which inject so much life and fun into the whole story. I also love that Alex and Rick have joined the little family of Skyler, Keith, Sydney and our SFC boys. The crime itself could be better thought out but this is more than compensated by the fun, fast pace, action packed scenes and most of all the perfect fitting of all the characters in the crime mystery. Every one of the gang has an active and important role in the plot, each one moving the exciting plot along, which makes it so much more fun to read. I hope the writer continues with this style of viewpoint switch among these lovable characters.

Fair Play (All's Fair)
Fair Play (All's Fair)
Price: $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent writing and I do not expect less from this writer. Love it., November 18, 2014
I have to say this one is better than the 1st book, Fair Game. The mystery element evolving around Roland is so well done. Roland himself is an intriguing character and his history during the 1960s/70s is downright educational for this Asian reader. What I know of the anti-war movement in 1960s America is glimpsed from movies and Josh has added to my interest. I really appreciate the research and effort Josh has invested into this book. The seamlessness in which he weaved the anti-war movement history into his plot goes to show what an excellent and creative writer he is. As for the plot, it has a lot of twists and turns, red herrings and is so well paced, the exciting moments gripping. I never guessed where the mystery was heading, least of all the identity and motives of the culprit, which is what a great mystery should be.

On the romance side, I love this couple as they continue to navigate around their complicated and so realistically portrayed relationship. Personalities clash constantly but they are matured enough to overcome the obstacles because these two are so certain in their love for the other. I love Tucker's alpha personality. His desire to protect Elliot and their love so understandable because of Tucker's own sad past. I really like the dichotomy in Elliot's character. His desire to be dominated in bed but not beyond sex really add to the complexity in their relationship. Tucker has to navigate carefully as he could exercise his Alpha personality fully in bed but he must never cross the line and trespass in all other aspects of Elliot's life. This angle in their relationship is fully explored in Book 2 and as a result this couple of Josh's is so much more interesting.

I also appreciate that amidst the mayhem and mystery, Josh gave us a little bit of family drama with Tucker's background. Of course we are constantly treated to the deep bond between Elliot and Roland and I really love this father-son bond.

With Fair Game, Elliot and Tucker did not make it to the top 5 of my favorite couples from Josh but with Fair Play I have to reassess the positions! Fair Play is an excellent book with depth and I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that there is at least a 3rd book because there is a lot of potential for more.

Miracle on Mistletoe Lane
Miracle on Mistletoe Lane
Price: $4.25

3.0 out of 5 stars The spirit of the story saved the poor writing somewhat. Would be 2 stars if this is not under kindle unlimited, November 6, 2014
The idea of the story is perfect for Christmas. In fact the beginning of the story is well done. A homeless and down on his luck war veteran and his sick little boy desperately in need of help. They found it and much more because of the little boy's wish. However the writing is really not ready for prime time and the execution is awkward in places. The sex scenes are terribly mechanical, including some awful terms. I suspect this would not even be listed in Amazon best gay romance list if it is not offered under kindle unlimited for which I am willing to give an additional star.

The Thousand Smiles of Nicholas Goring (Butterfly Hunter Book 3)
The Thousand Smiles of Nicholas Goring (Butterfly Hunter Book 3)
Price: $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A wondrous ending., November 5, 2014
The writer could not have ended this series in a better way. Dave and Nicholas have come a long way as this 3rd book revisit them 7 years later. No 7-year-itch for this married couple. They remain totally devoted to each other and could not be more in love. Nicholas' brain aneurysm remains a shadow but they never allow it to overshadow their lives as they live every day to the fullest. The writer has done a marvelous job expressing their love. The feelings and emotions when Nicholas health turned for the worse is just excellent writing. I also love Robin's character. This eighteen year old is adorable as he remains adamant in his own kind of love for his precious uncle Nicholas. Ah.. the innocence and purity of youth!

Of course the writer has to focus on the couple's beloved waterhole, filled with mystique and magic. After all the waterhole, with its enchanted pool, wattle and blue butterflies, was where it all started for Dave and Nicholas. A sense of urgency permeats the plot when the discovery of iron threatens its survival. There is a touch of mysticism and enchantment in the story as the song lines worked its magic to deliver a fitting resolution to the fate of their beloved waterhole. But most importantly Dave and Nicholas have their love which is even more precious and irreplaceable. Love the writing.

Behind Closed Doors: David Lloyd Investiagtions #4 (David Lloyd Investigations)
Behind Closed Doors: David Lloyd Investiagtions #4 (David Lloyd Investigations)
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Please continue with this series., October 30, 2014
I really enjoy this series even if I favor this one less than the last three. This one does evoke a lot of mixed feelings. The main problem is the murdered victim Ivan Holmes. It is easy to get engrossed with this character as the crime mystery centered around this controversial character. I started off feeling for this character. This turned to dislike when his perversions surfaced, then turned to sympathy again as Ivan's tragic pasts were revealed. David's investigation works were just as detailed and interesting but there were times when I questioned how easy it was for David to secure his interviews. Surely it is harder for private investigators to get strangers to talk to them! I like the plot as David dwelt into the mystery that was Ivan and in the process discovered much more than he could handle. However towards the end I have to say the twists and turns and the action got to be too much. And some questions were answered too briefly just to wrap up the story.

As for the characters David remained his true likable self. However there were one or two instances when I disliked him because of the way he approached his case. A bit of empathy on his part would have been nice because the David I knew from the last three books was a better person than that. I also would have preferred to "see" more of Jamie. One way was of course for Jamie to be more involved in David's investigation like in the 3rd book. The romance was secondary as these guys were already in a committed relationship and this one is foremost a crime mystery but I still felt the love between these two. There was a little family drama on Jamie's side to keep their private lives interesting.
Lastly one thing really bugs me. A heinous action, more like a crime, committed over twenty years ago with devastating consequences was never punished. This really frustrated me. Life is not fair but I at least want it to be fair in my fiction. Another enjoyable addition which kept me reading till the end so please do not end the series.

A Good Place
A Good Place

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an impactful little story, October 27, 2014
This review is from: A Good Place (Kindle Edition)
This may be less than a two hours read but this little story is just beautifully done. Quiet, gentle, tender, kind and honest it left a lasting impact long after I finished it. It may be a short story but there is nothing short about the slow burning romance as these guys learn about each other to finally accept and love each other. I love Jesse's patience as he slowly draws Con out of his shell. I love Con's care for Jesse who will always come first. And I thought the impact of Con's PTSD on their relationship is so well portrayed. There is no miracle cure but to be accepted and lived with and as a result become stronger in their love for each other. I wish the writer has given this little gem a much better cover.

It Started With The Garden (Not So Different Book 1)
It Started With The Garden (Not So Different Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much to the plot after a while.., October 26, 2014
How to put this. As a mild gay romance this one reads fine. The beginning of the story is interesting as we get to understand both guys and what they have been through. But once they are together, the story is quite boring as there is not much to the plot. This one works better as a novella. However I will read the next one offered by this writer as long as it is under Kindle unlimited.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20