Profile for Coug Moog > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 161

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Coug Moog "s_gil" RSS Feed (York, PA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
America: Imagine a World without Her
America: Imagine a World without Her
by Dinesh D'Souza
Price: $18.91
16 used & new from $18.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Costco Sold Me!, July 8, 2014
Thanks Amazon. I hadn't heard of this book until Costco provided Dinesh with millions of dollars in free publicity. I decided to download the Kindle edition and I just ordered 4 print editions to give as gifts.

I will take my kids to his movie too, if it's anything like the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2014 2:59 PM PDT

Seattle Seahawks '47 Brand Clean Up Slide Adjustable Hat
Seattle Seahawks '47 Brand Clean Up Slide Adjustable Hat
Offered by SportsMagicK
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $18.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Great throwback, April 14, 2014
Been a Seahawks fan since 1976. I dislike the lime green in the new color scheme. Like the new helmets though. I'd like to see Seattle go back to their 1970s helmet design on the new helmets with the textured graphics stripes.

And ditch the lime green.

Canon PowerShot G1X Mark II Digital Camera
Canon PowerShot G1X Mark II Digital Camera
Price: $799.00
24 used & new from $752.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Explore the limits of point and shoot., April 14, 2014
There are very, very good high end point and shoot cameras out there from Canon, Sony and especially Fujifilm.

Each has reasons to recommend it. Sony has the most zoom in a pocketable package and a ton of megapixels on a reasonably large sensor. Fujifilm has true pocket ability, a bright lens, and astounding color rendering. Canon's G1x seemed to be a one-trick pony with its larger size due to the better glass hung on the front. And even that was compromised in the Mk 1.

The lens on this model is a total redesign. In fact, the whole camera is a redesign from the G1x. It gets different dimensions in every angle. It gets a bigger sensor with much bigger pixels for astounding light and color performance. It gets Digic 6 and a faster chip, and improved wireless image transfer capability.

I went without the G1x because it suffered from some critical flaws in its basic design that made me a Fujifilm customer. But I was really missing that big Canon lens-sensor combo for outdoor and architectural photos. When I sold my X100 (for a premium price, natch) I got what many would consider a lesser camera in the G1x ii.

I guess in most ways I disagree. I get a lot of shots with the Canon that I was missing with the X100 because I was futzing with the controls to get the settings right. The G1x let's me get set up for each shot in a tiny fraction of the time it takes to set up the X100. I found I was actually using the auto mode in the X100 to get people shots I would otherwise miss. Thank goodness the auto mode is very good on that camera.

With the extra physical controls on the G1x, I can set up a shot very quickly for exposure, depth of field, bracketing etc. in a minimum number of steps. Meaning I don't miss the shot as much. Yes, the camera is bigger. No, I won't pop for a $300 EVF. I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but the industrial design and proportions of this chunky camera are sweet. It's a good looker, with each control designed to look great and perform well.

It competes well in image quality with my last point and shoot, and tackles framing better. Skin tone rendering is very nice, though I must say the X100 is quite a bit better in that regard, particularly in low light. I do like the bounceable flash. The lens barrel bayonet mount is a bit hokey and doesn't hold much. Thankfully the most used filter, the ND, is built in and can be switched on or off in 3 clicks.

Feels very good in the hands. Well made, tough.

Kind of a travel cam. A little large to carry around all the time. I just use the iphone for quick shots now. Missing the X100's portability at times, but in general, for the way I shoot, I prefer the G1x ii.

JVC Victor In-ear Stereo Headphones | HA-FXD80-Z (Japanese Import)
JVC Victor In-ear Stereo Headphones | HA-FXD80-Z (Japanese Import)
Offered by UJC Mart Japan
Price: $67.99
115 used & new from $48.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Price/Performance is very good., March 17, 2014
I have owned at least 1 of every JVC Micro HD model that has come out except for the new super high end ones. These are pretty good.

I like the Micro HD sound signature. Yes, the bass is boosted, but not nearly as egregiously as Monster's Beats line. With some careful eq you can get your music sounding remarkably natural through these. One of the most natural response curves in the under-$100 segment. I really enjoy all types of music on these.

Comfort:

With the right ear tips these are as comfortable as the other Micro HD phones I've used except their steel housings are heavier with sharper edges, leading my ears to need a rest more often. My main IEM is a pair of Etymōtic ER4 with Shure medium olive tips. I can wear those all day and forget they're in there. Also, my old red aluminum Micro HD phones are lighter and more comfy than these. But these sound better.

I have a few other IEMs in this price range (these were $50-60). My favorite for sound and comfort was the JVC HA-FXC80, which had a carbon fiber body instead of steel and a previous-gen Micro HD driver. It sounds very similar to this one, but the construction of the cable has proven fragile. Love the comfort and sound, but my third pair just died a premature death. I'm saving Apple EarPods just to cut off the pods themselves and graft on these great sounding graphite wonders.

Good news: the cable on this phone seems to be more robust. I'll check back on this in a year or so to see if they last.

JVC makes a number of fancier multi-driver IEMs that cost more and get good reviews.

I am quite ready to stick with these. Higher prices stretch into competitive territory in the $150-200 segment. These things are quite at home in their $50-60 range and they are pretty great for that price.

I've been listening to them for the last 6 hours on and off. My ears are physically tired as though these are just the tiniest bit bigger around than their carbon-bodied sibling. Time to give my ear canals a rest. They still sound smooth and natural.

I will probably buy another pair of these when this one wears out. I like them.

VideoSecu 2 Adjustable Steel Speaker Stands Universal Floor Stands for Front or Rear Surround Sound Speakers MS07B 1B5
Offered by Warehouseseller
Price: $36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars High Tech, No Frills, January 16, 2014
My brother and I built our home theaters at the same time. He went with a projector on the ceiling, a painted-on screen and flush mounted speakers. I went with a lot more presence in the room: a wall-mounted 75-inch Samsung LED panel, a big black lacquered RBH 1010 sub, and semi-vintage KEF reference speakers on stands and wall brackets. I used these VideoSecu stands for my mains and their matching wall brackets (excellent) for my surrounds.

Having my front L+R channels on stands means when I go for some traditional stereo listening, I can futz around with placement until I get a proper 3D stereo image, which the KEFs are truly capable of. There is virtually no inwall configuration that can give you that true stereo sound. It's a convenience move. I spent less on my display than my brother did on his projector, and the money he spent building his screen and his DIY equipment closet under the stairs was more than the extra I spent on upgraded sound and superior speakers.

At the end of the journey it's the VideoSecu speaker solutions and the wall-mounted flat panel that make the statement in my room. His room is dominated by...nothing except a nice projector up on the ceiling at the back. So it's definitely more multi-purpose while mine is obviously set up for movies, gaming and more serious music listening. The statement these stands make about my whole system reminds me of Han Solo: she may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
Price: $94.99
81 used & new from $69.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best., January 10, 2014
Roku flat out kills Apple in the streaming video segment. I have an Apple TV too. I use it for AirPlay and precious little else. The Roku has a far better channel selection, signal lock is positive, and the interface in the new version is near perfect.

The Roku guys don't miss a trick. They know their main competition is Apple TV and video game consoles and they keep their prices in an unbeatable range and their feature set so high that it doesn't make sense NOT to get one. I am on my third.

If you have high speed WiFi in your house, get one of these now. You will love it.

VideoSecu One Pair of Side Clamping Speaker Mounting Bracket with Tilt and Swivel for Large Surrounding Sound Speakers MS56B 3LH
Offered by Warehouseseller
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent with larger bookshelf style surrounds, January 10, 2014
I use larger surround speakers than most. Love my KEF Reference gear, so I have matched the rears to the fronts, but needed a more substantial bracket to hold everything. I found that using these brackets with some 3M Comply adhesive strips holds my surrounds firmly without drilling into them. I have the VideoSecu stands for the fronts; they have the same bracket. Works great in that configuration as well.

I'm glad I found this brand for my speakers. Other products are available that will hold my speakers, but they cost a lot more and they are not necessarily any better.

Highly recommended.

Wireless Bluetooth Music Receiver for Bose Sounddock / Beatbox / Phillips / JBL and other dock stations - 30pins (Black)
Offered by Cyber-Tech com
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $5.17

1.0 out of 5 stars Brick..., January 10, 2014
Did not work with iPhone 5 and Logitech 30 pin speaker. Disappointing.

I usually get these gadgets, and after a little futzing around on Google and seeing a couple YouTube videos, I get them to work fine. It's almost always some little setting that needs to be changed and the thing works like a charm. I have picked up a lot of friends' castoff electronics because they just couldn't figure out how to get them to work.

So I'm good at that stuff. I also own or have owned at least 2 dozen bluetooth devices, including A2DP stereo headphones. Some paired easily; some were a little iffier. But this is the first bluetooth device that I was completely unable to make function properly.

Now it may be because of the interaction between this device and the 3 different brands of iPhone speaker dock that I have. This receiver would not establish a stable bluetooth connection with my phone while attached to any of them. I have read this device works fine with the iPhone 5, so I thought going into settings and tweaking the relevant parameters would do the trick and soon I'd have sweet wireless stereo music in my room.

This time it didn't happen, and I don't know why. Couldn't get it to pair with an iPhone 4, iPod Touch Gen 4, or iPad Retina either.

More specifically, it says it's paired briefly, then goes to steady red light and will not receive bluetooth signals. I've watched every YouTube video and visited every blog I can find on BT pairing issues and have not hit on the right combination of settings to make this thing work, yet all my other Bluetooth gear collection works first try with all my devices.

So I have to conclude I got a lemon.

iXCC ® Jumbo Defender 2pc 3ft (THREE FEET) White 8-Pin Lightning Cable
iXCC ® Jumbo Defender 2pc 3ft (THREE FEET) White 8-Pin Lightning Cable
Offered by iXCC
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Apple version, January 10, 2014
I just charged and synced an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini with these cables. No funny messages, no failure to perform, fast data transfer, all functions work. They are FAR more solid than the Apple product that costs WAY more. One of the things that hacks me off about Apple is the inferior quality of their cable jacketing. I don't mind thin cables; I like them better if they are still well built.

But if you are an iOS user you know Apple builds crap cables and robs you for them. I have had other no-name cables that stopped working after the iOS 7 update. So I figured I'd wait until the kinks got ironed out in the aftermarket before I bought any more Lightning connector products.

Aftermarket Lightning cables I've had in the past have tried to copy Apple's crap cable jacketing and form factor. The result was that you got the same crappy materials as Apple cables, but spotty performance. These Lightning cables are top notch performers, but the maker has ditched the idea of "copying" Apple's crappy cable design in favor of industrial-strength plugs, cable jacket and strain relief. The one thing I haven't tested is whether this cable can play music over my Denon receiver's USB iPhone port--and I never tried that with an Apple cable either. I just use Airplay. Either way, we know it will charge.

This cable is a stone cold winner for five bucks each shipped. If it holds up and continues performing as it seems it will, I will never buy another Apple Lightning cable. Stop worrying and get a pair of these.

InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount
Offered by Infiniapps Technology LLC
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent magnet., January 10, 2014
I use the iMagnet in my other car and love it--solid suction cup that holds directly to the dash surface. Doesn't jiggle at all.

This magnet is nearly identical in form and strength to the other one, but it is on a mount that clamps into your car's CD slot.

I thought, "Hey, this kills 2 birds with one stone. It gets my phone out of my windshield sightline, and it gives me a use for that redundant old CD slot."

But it does shake a lot. The CD slot is apparently not quite enough clamp real estate to get a good solid hold. I have it clamped as tight as I dare, and it is still pretty shaky on Upper Midwest expansion joints where the suction mount is rock solid.

I still like the Slyde and I use it, and I would buy it again and use it. Just thought you would like to know its chief drawback--and in your CD slot it might not happen like it does with mine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17