Profile for G. Cecil > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Cecil "Rocket Man" RSS Feed (Clearwater, FL USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Bottle Shock
Bottle Shock
DVD ~ Alan Rickman
Price: $6.49
80 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Cute Movie!, February 1, 2014
This review is from: Bottle Shock (DVD)
Quite enjoyable and have watched several times. Weak on how a vineyard operates, but a good funny story. Worth buying.

Government by emergency
Government by emergency
by Gary North
12 used & new from $10.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Old but still applies to today., October 20, 2012
Good educational read. Governments are the only entity I know that can break a man's leg and then with a straight face hand you a crutch telling you how much you need them.

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Love Never Dies [Blu-ray]
Andrew Lloyd Webber's Love Never Dies [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Brett Sullivan
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $18.97
40 used & new from $12.96

1.0 out of 5 stars I expected much better, June 19, 2012
It is not often I write a negative review, but this is one of those times.

My wife and I are rabid fans of the Phantom of the Opera, and we were eagerly awaiting this video. When it arrived, we made a nice meal, opened the good wine, and settled down to enjoy the show. Within 15 minutes we had turned it off totally disgusted and disappointed. This was not the quality we expect from the works of Andrew Lloyd Webber. This video seemed more of a way for him to capitalize off the anniversary of the Phantom, not a quality work that could stand on its own. Poor quality, poor story, and nothing but a vehicle to make a cheap buck.

Do not waste your money on this item. You can spend the money on birdseed and enjoy the show much better the cat will make as she watches the birds through the window as they feed.

From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine
by Jeff Cox
Price: $12.63
137 used & new from $4.15

5.0 out of 5 stars My "Go to" book overall., June 17, 2012
I got into wine making about a year ago, making my first batch of Pinot Noir last January from a kit. I have started a small vineyard in my backyard and am anticipating my first harvest in a couple of years.

I own about a dozen books on home winemaking and From Vines to Wines was one of my first. It still is the most frequently referenced book when I have a question about my vines or making of my wine. It truly is my "go to" book.

Other reviewers will go into detail what is in the book, but all I want to say is, this is probably the most comprehensive book I've ever read concerning growing a vineyard and making wine. The only complaint I have it does not talk much about the Muscadine grape which is the prevalent vine here in Florida. Muscadine grapes make excellent wine and with the harsh sunlight and sandy soil, I would have liked to see a few pages discussing best techniques on growing Muscadines. Well no book can be perfect.

Overall, if you have to own one book on vines and wine making, this is the one.

George Washington's Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation (Little Books of Wisdom)
by George Washington
Price: $9.45
92 used & new from $1.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and timeless book, October 28, 2011
This book should be bought and distributed to all your children while they are still young. These were "rules" that George Washington carried with him from the time he was a young man and throughout his entire life. Excellent book and the advice is timeless.

All New Square Foot Gardening
All New Square Foot Gardening
by Mel Bartholomew
238 used & new from $1.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but stop the self promotion! We already bought the book!, February 22, 2011
Though my wife was raised on a farm, my only experience with gardening has been with my parents when I was a boy. I spent more time trying to get out of work than learning how to garden which I regret now. Sorry Mom and Dad! Anyway, I picked up a book called the All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew to learn how to maximize the limited space we have at our condo and grow a large amount of produce for eating and preserving. It basically is a raised bed of soil, divided into square feet, that takes away the need to plow, till, or fertilize your lawn. Mr. Bartholomew does a wonderful job at explaining what you can plant, how much you can plant per square foot, the proper season for planting, etc. though at times he is a bit too self promotional about his technique. I think after page 100 Mr. Bartholomew can tone down his self praise for his system.

More of the misadventures of our square foot garden can be found at out website listed under my profile.

Voyages of Discovery: The Missions of the Space Shuttle Discovery
Voyages of Discovery: The Missions of the Space Shuttle Discovery
by Robert A. Adamcik
Price: $19.66
40 used & new from $14.17

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but published before the story is finished, January 4, 2011
I used to work on Space Shuttle Discovery (OV-103) and actually named my RV after Discovery calling her RV-103. I was quite excited to see the book come out, but puzzled as to why it was published when Discovery has yet to fly her 39th and final mission. I understand there will be a flood of shuttle related books coming out as the program ends this year, but I wish the author had waited until after the last flight before publishing so he could include all the missions and a summary of her contributions.

[...]
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2011 11:12 PM PST

ViaMichelin Navigation X-970 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator
ViaMichelin Navigation X-970 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

1.0 out of 5 stars No customer service, February 3, 2009
I bought this GPS in February of 2008 for $199 because my g/f owned one and I was impressed with it during a vacation trip. Lately I've noticed that my GPS needed updating due to missing new roads, etc. I checked the software and found the current map was dated 2006, so off to the ViaMichelin website I went.

It was a disaster of a website. I could not find anyway of updating my maps though the box claimed I could easily do it at their website. I finally got frustrated and started to look for a way to contact their customer service. That took another half hour to find that information on their website.

When I wrote them, this was the response I got concerning my GPS unit I spent hundreds of dollars for:

"Thank you for your interest in ViaMichelin products and activities.

The reason why Via Michelin is not providing maps updates is because they went out of business in the beginning of 2007. Not being able to support the updates they were forced to pulled out of the US market and since then they would only cover the year warranty for any hardware or battery problems for the retailers that continued to sell these units. We apologize, once more, for this inconvenience."

So, I bought this item off of Amazon a year after the company went out of business and stopped providing updates. That means as more time goes by, the less accurate my GPS will be. Thanks for nothing ViaMichelin!

I would like to know why Amazon is still selling this thing (for a more expensive price!) when there is NO customer support or map updates. Would Amazon like to respond to that question?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2010 7:47 AM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Movie I've seen in years., February 18, 2008
For several years now, Hollywood has been producing basically crap and calling them movies. They even had a writers strike and no one noticed a difference in the quality of the movies and television. I had pretty much given up on Hollywood to produce anything good and original.

The Bucket List is a wonderful exception. My Fiance' and I went last Saturday to see the movie and had the most enjoyable and emotional two hours. We laughed, laughed til we cried, and cried. Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman had a chemistry that would take the movie to an entirely new level. I won't spoil the story for anyone, but I will be buying a DVD for myself, and several more to give as gifts.

Be safe and well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2008 9:54 PM PDT

The Reagan Diaries
The Reagan Diaries
by Douglas G. Brinkley
Price: $25.84
428 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful insight to the great man, June 17, 2007
This review is from: The Reagan Diaries (Hardcover)
This book is an wonderful insight to the great man that Ronald Reagan was. You can see through his diaries that he was as he presented himself. No act, no falsehood, no "public face". He was stawart in his beliefs, brave in the face of death, and true in his love this country and it's people. His love for his wife, Nancy, shows through his writing. He is one of those rare people that had found his love of his life and he treasures every moment of it. If I could give this book 10 stars, I would. Outstanding!

Page: 1 | 2