Profile for BDA 45 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

BDA 45 RSS Feed (Fresno, CA United States)

Tech Armor Apple iPhone 5/5c/5s Premium Ballistic Glass Screen Protector - Protect Your Screen from Scratches and Drops
Offered by Tech Armor
Price: $9.95
3 used & new from $6.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Ballistic Glass Protector WORKS...TECH ARMOR SUCKS in customer support., September 5, 2014
This is a two-part review. Pt #1: I purchased the Ballistic Screen Protector for my daughter's iPhone last December. It went on very easy and stayed on. This summer the phone slipped out of her pocket and fell face down. The protector cracked in a couple of places but the phone screen appeared intact and works fine. What can I say? The Ballistic protector worked exactly as advertised. For the product, 5 STARS!!

Pt #2: I went to their website and looked up the lifetime warranty, and contacted Customer SUPPORT by email (as instructed under "CONTACT US"). I was contacted by Tech Armor 5 days later to tell me the email should have been addressed to Customer SERVICE; so I did, because obviously Customer SUPPORT is incapable of forwarding the email to Customer SERVICE. I was again contacted 2 days later to inform me they wanted pictures of the cracked protector. I sent them the next day. 3 days after that I was told the new protector would arrive in 5-7 business days. As on this writing, that was 14 business days (and 19 calendar days) ago. I spent a good part of yesterday most of this afternoon trying to get someone to tell me what is going on and where the replacement is. (They do NOT take calls directly, calls go to an answering service). All I have been told is that they will "look into it" for me. MINUS 5 STARS!! (Cannot give ZERO stars.)

From the very first contact until today, it has been a total of 24 days and I still don't have the new protector. In the mean time, while we have been waiting, school started again and my daughter got knocked into while on a stair case going between classes. The phone fell again and, with a broken protector, the screen now has a chip! Luckily, it is small and does not impair function. Yeah, I know, I should have put on some other protector while I was waiting, but...really? I did not realize the LIFETIME Warranty referred to the replacement process.

LESSON TO BE LEARNED: buy the Ballistic Glass Protector, but forget about the warranty, just buy another one yourself if the first one breaks! Save yourself the time, trouble and possible additional damage due to the company's delay. I saw others had a better experience, you may need to see when that was compared to September 2014.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2014 11:58 PM PDT

Slide-Co 143598 White Sliding Patio Door Handle Set
Slide-Co 143598 White Sliding Patio Door Handle Set
Offered by Life and Home
Price: $30.50
18 used & new from $22.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, July 8, 2014
Easy to install, a screwdriver and 10 minutes. Comes with 3 pairs of different length screws, but this item does not include the locking mechanism, just the lever. My old lever works with the handle so I didn't replace it, but I saved the new lever just in case.

Three Days of the Condor [HD]
Three Days of the Condor [HD]
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good spy film, July 8, 2014
Very good spy film, acting seems a bit wooden at times and Faye Dunaway is a poor and forgettable choice in my opinion, no chemistry with Redford at all. Max von Syndow steals the show. The story is believable, and it is fun to see1970's computer technology in action ("I need some time on the computer today.") All in all a very enjoyable film, definitely worth seeing.

Delta Faucet 75584D Universal Showering Components, In2ition Two-In-One Shower, Chrome
Offered by Great Household
Price: $54.36
13 used & new from $46.18

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, April 28, 2013
The concept is great, that is why I bought it. But in a stall shower the build/shape of the unit puts the spray at face level and the position of the hose prevents setting the head in a lower angle. It puts out plenty of pressure in either of the separate options, but in the combination option the pressure drops noticeably. The spray settings on the hand held don't really vary that much, and then the hand held just stopped working.

HTC One, Silver (AT&T)
HTC One, Silver (AT&T)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best smartphone ever? You bet it is!!, April 27, 2013
******05/01/13 UPDATE*******

Ten days now and no problems to speak of, but I did find that some intensive games will make the phone heat up, not to the point you can't hold it, but it gets pretty warm. Simpler games have no effect. Everything else is great, I am really getting into Blinkfeed; my music sounds great through the speakers and even better through headphones. My next project is to explore the camera.

As I said before, I like to keep up on tech stuff. There is an article published on 04/30 that indicated the 16GB Galaxy S4 actually has only 8.8GB free for the consumer to use! And, that is not because of carrier bloat-ware, the test was done on an unlocked, sim-free device. A carrier-specific phone was also tested and guess what? 8.8GB too! That means Samsung has locked away 7.2GB for its own OS and features, as well as any carrier's installations, and none of that is accessible to the user, even if, say, only 5GB are actually needed. The ONE uses about 5GB for the OS, HTC's features, and the carrier's "stuff." So the pricing difference mentioned in the original post is even more dramatic: Samsung must really expect its customers will just bend over and say "Thank you Sir! May I have another?"

There are other recent articles providing more in-depth comparisons of the ONE vs the S4; see if you can guess the outcome of the majority of the tests. I found it interesting that the only time the S4 seems to come out ahead is when there are a number of "ties" and the author chooses the Samsung as the winner.

ORIGINAL POST:
I like to keep up on tech developments, so I was intrigued about the "M7" from HTC I began reading about in December. We all know that phone is now the ONE. I pre-ordered a 64GB ONE and have had it for just over a week now. There are some really great personal reviews here on Amazon that discuss all of the features of the phone, as well as dozens of professional reviews out there (and an amazing thesis by Brian Klug that HTC should adopt as its owners manual; look for the pull-down at the end of the first page then make a sandwich and sit back, the entire review is literally 93 pages including photos and charts. EVERYTHING you want to know about this phone is contained in his article at [...] I agree with them 100% and there is really nothing I can add that has not already been said. So, I am not going to address all of the features and capabilities of the ONE, as that would be redundant in light of all the other reviews. Instead I want to focus on why you should buy this phone over all the others available, and on the differences in the specs. (I will add to this review over the next few days so check back.)

First and foremost is the appearance; in a sea of bland sameness, the ONE can be spotted a mile away. Some argue it looks like the iPhone, the Z10, or any other rectangular phone. Well, there are only so many useable shapes, so, yeah, I guess it is geometrically similar. The real test then would be to lay down a dozen similarly shaped phones, devoid of any labeling, in a grid pattern and see how long it would take to pick it out from the rest. Once anyone has seen this phone in person, it would be a matter of seconds before your eyes would spot it in the crowd. It is simply that beautiful and unique.

The feel of the phone in your hand is also something so different it is really hard to explain. It is almost sensual (not to be confused with sexual, I am making a point here). It is like gripping a very well designed steering wheel in a sports car (think BMW M3) as opposed to an everyday driver; or holding a well balanced carving knife with an ergonomic handle, compared to something you might buy on sale at Wal Mart; or putting your hand into a seasoned baseball glove, compared to a new, stiff, vinyl glove. The shape, the texture, the heft, the coolness of the metal..it all just FEELS right. It is something you can't put on paper, you have to experience it for yourself. Other phones feel like a cheap kid's toy whereas the ONE feels expensive. It feels special in comparison.

The features of the ONE are actually very well thought out and I understand HTC spent quite some time learning how people use their phones. Take Blinkfeed, for example. Many reviewers have stated they see no need for it and I was skeptical at first, but after a week I find it very useful. If your home computer has Yahoo or MSN homepage and you watch it for news, sports, business updates, you will absolutely love Blinkfeed. Unlike your computer homepage, HTC allows you to choose the sources of your information so you get the updates you are interested in and nothing else. How useful is that?

Sense 5 has changed the look of typical Android a bit, but nothing that won't become second nature to you in the first couple of days using the ONE. Those of you new to Android, there is nothing to worry about as you won't know the difference anyway. And we are talking minor changes, nothing quite as drastic as, say, going from Windows 7 to 8. Other companies will try to point out that these changes ruined the phone. To them I say, get over it! Things and people change every day and we all survive; swiping up in the app tray instead of sideways is not life-changing, I think I'll live through it.

Speaking of Android, the ONE uses 4.1, the most recent version is 4.2. The only difference is about a half dozen features that I won't go into here. You can search 4.1 vs 4.2 for an exact understanding. However, I will say that every reviewer that has commented on the fact the the ONE ships with 4.1 and the GS4 ships with 4.2 has said that the difference in the OS is so small that is doesen't matter, in addition to which Sense 5 itself makes up for some of the differences. Other reviewers have stated they actually like 4.1 better and will not upgrade their personal devices until KLP is released. Google was expected to release KLP in May but now apparently it is going to be held back a couple of months. The reason is irrelevant to this discussion; but the point is there is a very good likelihood HTC will skip the 4.2 upgrade for the ONE and go directly to KLP. When will that happen; who knows?

The camera is perhaps the most controversial feature. If you don't already know, the megapixal race is a sham, more just means more, and it doesn't really cost the manufacturers that much to jam more in for bragging rights. I love to hear owners, especially the smug ones, talk about their 8, 13, 21...MP cameraphones; they wouldn't know an MP from an M&M. Any photographer will tell you that all multiple MPs are really good for is enlarging a photo for the purpose of either cropping or a poster sized print, without losing detail. I am willing to wager the vast majority (90+%) of you reading this have never done either with a picture taken from your phones.

Most of us use the camera on our phone because it is convenient, not because of the great shots they produce. How many wedding photographers use a cell phone as their camera? Would you hire one that did? Most of the shots we take are indoors and all of the comparison tests have shown the ONE is the best camera for that purpose. Outdoor shots are just fine as well, but admittedly, there are some phones that are better suited for outdoors, but only in daylight. For night shots, the ONE is again the winner. The bottom line here is to remember you are buying a smartphone that by its very nature has many, many purposes. If you are buying a smartphone because you need a great camera, your priorities are screwed up: go buy a DSLR.

Next is the sound quality, specifically, Boomsound; great feature, lousy name. The sound this device puts out will rival any personal speaker system on the market. The only thing it won't do is replace a speaker system designed for parties (think Beats Box portable bluetooth speaker). In a room with just a few people, the phone is all you need and even then you may need to turn it down. The sound quality is simply great, not tinny, weak or buzzy, like the sound coming from every other phone on the market, bar none. In fact, I like to play the live version of U2's "God Part II", or Hendrix's "Voodoo Child" just to see the expession on the face of my friends. Try that with whatever you are currently using or any of the competition and you will just get laughs, not an "Oh, WOW!"

And speaking of "Oh, wow," Samsung has added some really interesting "gee-wiz" features, that I don't see anyone ever using after the first week. Waving at the screen instead of touching it, tilting the phone up or down to scroll...I mean, really? You have to hold the thing in your hand, how hard would it be to do it the "old-fashioned" way and actually put your finger on the screen and swipe? Your movements cannot be subtle or they won't be read. Do you really want to look like some fool nodding and gesturing at your phone in public? In addition, some of the features only work on Samsung apps. For example, looking away pauses videos, but not on You Tube, so even if you wanted to buy the GS4 for that purpose, it won't work! Samsung loaded the GS4 with features because it could, not because they are something anyone wants, needs, or would use; and yet they are some of the major selling points. Features for the sake of features means nothing; make them useful.

Two other points that should be set straight are events in the news. Most recently, Nokia announced they had won an injunction against HTC selling the ONE in Holland, over the use of microphones designed by Nokia (which, by the way are fantastic in making the phone calls clear as can be in very noisy environments and also allow for recording songs at live concerts so you can play them back and hear the song clearly - thank you Nokia). The truth, however, is the injunction was against the company that manufactured the microphones for Nokia, and is not to sell them to any other company for six months. The manufacture and sale of the ONE are not affected by the injunction outside of Holland, except that HTC will have to get another supplier for the microphones after their current stockpile runs out.

The other point has to do with the predatory marketing by Samsung of the GS4. It is a fact that Samsung was caught indirectly paying students in Taiwan (home of HTC) to write false blogs and negative comments slamming the ONE and HTC, and at the same time promoting the qualities of the GS4 and Samsung. They did not even try to deny it, they just apologised like it was nothing. Samsung is now the largest cell phone manufacturer in the world; it makes me wonder exactly how they got that way. So let's see: their products are good, but not world beating; their advertising budget is larger than the GNP of some nations; they have an immense customer base which is very loyal, and will close-mindedly shout down any challenger that dares to produce a superior product. Wait a minute, why would people do that? What Samsung did in Taiwan couldn't happen here...could it? Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice...

HTC went above and beyond to design and engineer a fantastic phone and it definitely deserves your consideration. The GS4, however, is just a reiteration of the GS3, improved - yes, but really just more of the same. The ONE and the GS4 have excellent and similar/same specs, so the real difference is the physical appearance and two characteristics: expandable memory and removable batteries. As you know, Apple has neither, and yet there are millions of iPhones out there so it evidently is a matter of choice, not necessity. The ONE is $199 for 32GB and the GS4 is $249 with 32GB (add a 32GB SDXC micro card and you are up to $299). For that price you can have a 64GB ONE [all pricing is per AT&T; Amazon pricing is definitely better and can vary day-to-day].

As for the battery life, in the week I have owned my ONE I have recharged it four out of seven nights, the lowest the battery ever got was to 18% after two days. Normally I don't charge every night unless I am going to be out running around in the morning. I have/use a charger at home, in the office and in my car; I also have a 3000mAh portable battery bank that can dump 50% of its charge into another device in well less than an hour and fully charge an 1850mAh battery in about 90 minutes. I wonder about those who post comments about their swapping out batteries midday. Just what are they doing with their phones, and if they really need that much battery life why don't they already own a Razor MAXX?

Let's break this down: demanding a replaceable battery means you have already resigned yourself to buying a second battery for your brand new phone (at least $45 because we know you aren't going to buy generic) and a seperate battery charger (at least another $45 because someone like you doesn't have the time to recharge both batteries in-phone). With tax, we'll call it an even $100. So, no matter what replaceable-battery-phone you buy, EVERY time you buy, you can count on paying an additional $100 over the price of the phone itself, because God knows, no manufacturer of a replaceable-battery-phone is going to use the battery/charging system from the previous model. The obvious financial solution to this particular problem would be the one-tme purchase of a portable battery bank that plugs into any device with a micro-USB charging port. You are already planning on carrying that extra batery, a battery bank isn't that much larger. But, you say, "my way I can swap the batteries and forget it." Ok, so you are saying your phone never sits in your pocket, purse, briefcase, desk drawer, etc, for 45-90 minutes untouched (and even then, I can use my phone with the bank plugged in or unplug it if I absolutly need to)? You don't use a bluetooth device? You have to handle your phone on a constant basis, LITERALLY? Well, then I guess I can't help you. But if I made my point, then a replaceable battery is not really a deal breaker. Pick up the ONE.

The ONE is without a doubt the best smartphone that has ever been built. I cannot recommend it highly enough. You really don't need to look any further or at any other phone. This is the ONE!!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2013 1:16 AM PDT

HTC HC V701 One X Clear Hard Shell with Flip Stand, White
HTC HC V701 One X Clear Hard Shell with Flip Stand, White

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, poor execution., August 22, 2012
I purchased this cover (from a different seller) right after I bought my One X in June, however the cover did not arrive until August 20. I was impressed by the idea, the look and the feel of the cover. The cut-outs are exact, the "hinge" works well. The micro fiber padded inside cover is perfect. The back shell is not slick, it has sort of a frosted/texture that is easy to hold and looks good with the white phone. The overall impression is a high quality product. However I noticed something was wrong as soon as I snapped it on the phone.

The lower corners go on first and ever-so-slightly wrap around the bottom lip of the phone. The upper corners of the case will then snap onto the top corners of the phone; but they don't. The upper corners of the case never really grab hold and so there is a tiny gap of perhaps 2-3mm between the back of the phone's corners and the inside corners of the case. The case sits flush against the phone between the camera lens and the center of the upper edge of the phone, so if you pinch the upper left and right corner of the phone into the case (left-right-left-right) the case will rock or teeter-totter slightly. This means the case does not have a good grip on the phone and so I suppose it may be possible for the phone to be easily popped out of the case and your hand with not too much effort. From my research, it seems the international model has slightly different dimensions from the US/ATT model, so I believe this case was designed for the international quad-core version.

Also, while the white leather is very impressive and looks great with the white phone, the leather has no protective treatment and will accept color transfer from almost anything. the VERY FIRST TIME I used the cover, I put the phone in my pants pocket and went to work, arriving 30 minutes latter. when I took the phone out of my pocket the leather had multiple smudges, lines and streaks that DO NOT come off.

Sadly, I do not recommend this cover. As much as really wanted to like it, it simply is not designed for the ATT model. But, the case/cover package itself is actually pretty cool and looks very sharp. So, I guess if you could ignore the imprecise fit (and hope it doesn't eventually fall out of the case), then I suppose the leather could be treated to protect the finish, but you would literally have to do it out of the box.

HTC One X, White (AT&T)
HTC One X, White (AT&T)

5.0 out of 5 stars ***11/26/12 Update*** HTC One X vs Galaxy S3, June 22, 2012
See update below.

I had been trying to decide which to buy, coming out of a Blackberry either one is going to require a learning curve for me. The One X looks totally new and fresh, the S3 looks like the S2 with softer contours. The specs are pretty much even and while an SD card is convenient, I am used to using 8 GB, so since both have 16 GB, that is more than enough for my needs. Plus, the One X has 23 GB Dropbox storage free for two years, the S3 on ATT and Verizon won't. The One X has a sealed battery...so what? So does every iPhone and that hasn't stopped Apple from selling a gazillion of them.

That brings it down to UI, and from everything I have read (a LOT) it seems Sense 4 is much better than Touch Wiz, in fact, from my perspective, the only people who seem to prefer Touch Wiz over Sense are Samsung owners / fans. Also, I find it funny that professional reviewers who are supposed to be providing a fair comparison, and certainly private individuals, are actually pretty biased for one phone over the other. When discussing the specs, where it is close but the numbers favor the preferred phone, it gets the win, but when the other phone is a bit better, it is a tie. Also, there are some specs that are not measured in the same fashion, yet the the preferred phone wins again. Bragging rights being what they are, the better numbers mean size does matter to those who have nothing else going for them. Get out of your GT500 and hop into my 911, or my friend's Lotus, then tell me how your machine is superior because of the numbers.

From the view point of someone with smartphone experience, but not with Android, I really don't care about little differences in the specs. No one I know is going to care about numbers, we care about performance and results: ICS; dual core 1.5GHz with LTE / HSPA+ for fast browsing; battery power to get through 8+ hour work day; music and video access for down-time; computer sync; multiple live email accounts; reliability and durability; ease of use; a decent camera with useable cutting edge goodies. What we don't want is a lot of clutter; gimmicks (I work daily with seven people with iPhone 4S and not one of them have used Siri after the first two weeks of owning the phones) or having to put up with unnecessary crap to make the phone function as we want it to. ICS works the way it is, you really don't need to mess with it.

I have decided on the One X. I tried Sense 4 in the store and compared it to Touch Wiz on the S2 models... I know the new version is "lighter" but not by that much based on what I have read and understand from talking to users/experts. Also, as I am learning the use of the phone from square one, and never having used an Android before, the HTC seemed much more natural, intuitive (simpler?) than the Samsung. Not having any preconceived notions about which was better, to me HTC was the clear winner. I also think the look of the One X is very different from other phones out there, whereas any Samsung looks pretty much like every other Samsung built in the last two years - squared vs round corners not withstanding. And just so there is no doubt about my motives, initially, it was my intention to replace my BB with the Galaxy Note; then I read about the One X being developed, followed by the S3. I decided to wait for both devices and compare each to the other and to my needs, and to the Note. The Note fell away from the other two, the One X took a narrow lead but my options were still wide open. Then I saw the S3 and the One X was like Secretariat at Belmont, pulling away fast and I didn't plan on looking back.

Now, about build quality / durability; take a look at some of the drop tests on You Tube for both of these phones (and any other you may be considering) from waist height, shoulder height, from the roof of an accelerating car, even thrown into the air down a street! The Gorilla glass does eventually shatter, but the One X keeps on working as designed: the touch screen works, so does the browser and the phone function. The S3 was completely dead! The reason is that Samsung fused the screen to the glass, so when the glass breaks, so does the screen, not to mention having to pick up all of the pieces of the S3 to put it back together again. The One X, you know, has a solid polycarbonate shell that is very strong in its own right. This was the final deciding factor for me. Yes, I know there are protective cases that will solve this problem, but then I would be carrying around a thick, flat slab instead of a thin, sleek sculptured work of art (or in the case of the S3, a thin, flat slab of an electronic device).

The bottom line is a smartphone is a tool to be used in the real world, and it needs to be tough enough to survive, even if it is only used in a business or social environment. How many times have you seen someone's phone get knocked off a desk / counter top / bar / dining table and crash to the floor? The S3 is a great phone, absolutely, and on paper it may be the best thing out there... until the next best thing arrives next year, next month, next week. People with too much money wanting the latest and greatest will snap it up, as they will whatever comes out next to replace it. I want a phone that will function for as long as I want to use it, does what I need it to do, looks good and is dependable; and if I drop it, it will not only survive the fall, but will also keep working. The One X is the right answer for me, look over your needs and options carefully; it will likely be the correct answer for you, too.

I have owned the phone for one week now and I am still learning the ins and outs. Battery life is fantastic. Today I left with a full charge at 7:30, made two calls, sent texts to my kids for half an hour and read my emails, that's it. Now, 14 hours later it has 58% left. Yesterday I played games, read my emails, downloaded a couple of Apps, made calls and sent texts, and browsed my favorite web sites to see just how fast it worked (HSPA+ only - unbelievable - I can't wait to see LTE). After about the same 14 hours it showed 31% power remaining.

As for telephone function, no dropped calls, connections were good, strong and fast. I did learn a couple of interesting things about the call sound. The rear speaker works a lot like a Bose speaker in that it seems to be designed to reflect when laid face up. The sound quality / resonance depends quite a lot on the material it is resting upon; wood, glass, paper, even a desk pad will cause the sound to differ quite a bit. If you hold the phone in your hand and use the speaker function, it will sound dull / muffled depending on hand placement. The One X is actually designed to automatically switch to speakerphone mode when you put it face down during a call; the caller's voice comes through loud and clear.

Now the ear-piece speaker is another story. After first being disappointed with the sound quality / volume, I figured out that there is a sweet spot for the speaker. You have to line up the speaker holes with your ear canal. When you do the sound is loud and clear; when you miss, even by less than an inch, the caller's voice seems far away and quite. A little trial and error, along with some muscle memory exercise and problem solved. Maybe this is a problem for some, but think about it: how many times have you heard both sides of someone's phone conversation because their phone's ear piece sounded like a loud speaker? Figure that if you can barely hear your caller when the phone is next to your ear, the nosy person sitting next to you at the where-ever can't hear them at all. I see this as a plus for call privacy.

The truth of the matter is that the S3 may be the better phone in some respects, on paper and maybe in the real world, too. But to make a decision based solely on the spec numbers when they are so close that the only way to know which is better is by the smallest of incremental scientific measurement is the definition of Geekus Maximus. If we were talking about differences on a generational or even evolutionary scale, where such was obvious to any smartphone user's human senses, then the choice would be simple. Personally, I don't know anyone who walks around with their own electronic testing equipment to challenge others over who has the better device, nor would I want to know such a person.

At this level of performance, it is like deciding on the Ferrari or the Lamborghini; the only ones who quibble are the gear-heads who think their opinion is the only one that counts. The One X and the Galaxy S III are both fantastic phones that are cutting edge. Which one is better? Who cares? The title will only last until the next phone comes out. Don't believe me? What was the undisputed Android champ in April of this year? The One X. Now? Maybe not, maybe the S3 is, and we aren't even into July, and the S3 hasn't even been officially released yet! I guarantee by the end of the year there will be three or four new Androids to claim top honors. Statistics are what you make of them. Decide what is most important to you: name recognition; function; dependability; fashion; style; conformity; individuality; usage/needs; peer pressure; whatever it is, choose the phone that fills those needs best (notice I did not list specs). And don't worry, because if it is your choice, you cannot choose wrong. For me, I will recommend the One X to anyone that asks, and proudly show it off whenever the opportunity presents itself.

***07/10/12 UPDATE***

Still love the phone, still learning all of the tricks. I went to play with the SGS3, just to compare...there is no question in my mind I made the right choice. The feel of the phones alone makes a difference; sorry Samsung, the S3 just feels cheap. Even the AT&T sales people will tell you the S3 is simply a glitzier S2 with more bells and whistles, but aside from those changes and ICS, not a whole lot of difference. Also, as I stated above, specs not withstanding, functionally, we are talking about speeds measured quite literally by blinks of the eye. Again, nothing wrong with the S3, it is a great phone, but choose based on the whole package, not just a spec sheet.

On a slightly different topic, I just discovered AT&T dropped out of the free 23GB Dropbox upgrade. Not sure why, especially since this was a big selling point to explain why there was no SD expansion. Those who bought early got the 2-year free 23GB promotion, the rest of us got screwed. Not the fault of the phone or HTC, the blame rests on AT&T. Perhaps if enough customers complain they will reinstate the program.

Personally, I think there must be a huge conspiracy between AT&T, Apple and Samsung to sabotage HTC and the One X, because it really is a superior phone compared to what the other two manufactures are offering. Think about it, how many iPhones does Apple have active on AT&T, and how many Samsung phones does AT&T carry? Compare that to what HTC sells. Both of the other two manufactures have AT&T wrapped around their collective little fingers.

Why else would AT&T insist on HTC foregoing the SD expansion, and then bring over the 16GB version instead of the 32GB model? The HTC Evo 4G LTE on Sprint is essentially a One X WITH an SD slot (and a removable battery), so you know it could have easily been done. Then, Apple got the injunction to effectively halt the One X sales two weeks after its introduction; and now AT&T has killed the free Dropbox upgrade. Was this part of a deal with Samsung who was going to have to foot the bill for its own 50GB upgrade - also now dead? [Can you tell I'm just a bit pissed?]

What more proof does anyone need to see what a great phone this is? Everyone who stands to lose sales to the One X is so afraid the public will love it, they are all trying to bury it! C'mon AT&T, prove me wrong! Give us back our 23GB of free Dropbox - and then some!! I will get off my soapbox now. The bottom line is the One X truly is a great phone, great performance and remarkable features, definitely worth the price! I am still within my 30 days but I have no thought of changing to anything else. One last remark, in the three+ weeks I have had the phone, I have had no less than five people ask me what kind of phone it is; in the past almost 20 years of cell phone ownership, that has never happened...ever. Clearly, this is a beautiful, and noticeable phone.

****11/26/12 UPDATE****

I have had my One X (white) for five months now, and I am still finding things I didn't know it could do. I LOVE THIS PHONE! I am very happy with all of the features and performance of every function (calls, text, email, browsing, games, camera/video, basically everything). I have no regrets selecting the One X over all of the others, including the SGS3. Yes, the battery could be more powerful, but it does get me through a full day without a recharge. But just in case, I have an AC charger on my desk at work, so if I am planning a late night out, I just plug it in after lunch - no big deal. No regrets, no worries, an absolutly stellar phone!

However, HTC has released a new version called the ONE X+. I have compared it to the original and find that the improvements are well worth the upgrade, assuming the choice is available to you, meaning you are not going to have to pay the out-of-contract price. Otherwise, it is selling for the same $199 as the original did. But, here is the thing, the original X is due for an update through ATT (HTC has already rolled it out, now the individual carriers have to debug/tweak their systems for it) to the same software the X+ is using: JELLY BEAN 4.1 with the SENSE 4+ UI, (and that won't cost a dime). And, ATT has the original Grey model on sale right now (Cyber Monday) for $0.99!!! (White model - my personal favorite - for $99.)

That means you can buy the original for next to nothing and in a short while, ATT will release the update to the same OS that the One X+ is using. The difference in processing speeds will not be that noticable as the dual-core is actually plenty fast for 99% of the population (the dual-core is faster than the international quad-core, but the X+ is faster than both - nevertheless, read my comments above on "specs"). At that point, the only thing that will separate the X from the X+ will be the memory (16GB vs 64GB - a significant difference if you need to carry loads of data with you, as neither has an SD card), the battery (1800mAh vs 2100mAh - but I understand that the update includes better power management, and the original battery is really no slouch if you are not trying to continuously play games for hours on end), a few new tweaks to some of the features (but I think the OS/UI update will also take care of most of those), Gorilla Glass I vs Gorilla Glass II (more scratch resistant), and the shell (smooth polycarbonate in white or grey vs a rubberized finish in matte black only - no red highlights for US version).

I loved the original when it came out, and I still do. With the update soon to be released by ATT, and the price drop, this is a no-brainer if you are wondering what to do. If you are eligible for an upgrade from ATT and you have the extra $200 to spare, go for the X+ now, you will not regret it. BUT, if money is tight, for $1 or $100 (less from Amazon and some other sellers) you can get an extremely close equivelent and choice of color by buying the original X. Of course, you can always wait till the start of summer when the prices will drop again as newer models are released.

One of my favorite things about this phone is its looks. I do not use any case because I think the appearance of the phone is just that good. Some of my friends bought the Galaxy S3, and though it is newer than the X, it already looks old, (and they really show scratches, nicks, dings, etc.) and so similar to every other Samsung it is hard to tell what model it is. On the other hand the HTC One X still looks brand new and like nothing else (except perhaps other One models). As I stated above, I have people ask all the time what the phone is; or now, recognize it and ask how I like it because they want to either upgrade what they have or are looking for one as a gift.

The bottom line here is just get down from the fence and buy it already. Choose the One (see what I did there?) that your budget will allow. You won't be sorry!