Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for N. Fisher > Reviews

Browse

N. Fisher's Profile

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. Fisher RSS Feed (East Coast United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Are You Shpongled
Are You Shpongled
20 used & new from $14.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews are like opinions..., July 11, 2005
This review is from: Are You Shpongled (Audio CD)
Everyone involved has one, and only 2% of them are educated. From listening to and researching a large base of abstract and accessible artists, you get a feel for what the normal level of production, creativity, etc. is out there.

This CD strikes an AMAZING balance between excellent (not just excellent, some of the best I have ever heard) production, accessibly songs and complete creativity.

Every sound is incredibly detailed, tailored to the track and on point. The rhythms are intricate, solid and executed with perfection. Every track sounds as though every recorded instrument and synthesizer is under more control than I can fathom.

The review on here where the person says you need to be high is a blatant example of a completely uneducated review. Just because someone did a load of drugs and now can not enjoy something sobre does not mean it is unenjoyable - it means the person has issues with drugs. I mean this is the same person that tried to say that a ditzy girl is 'normal' on a couple beers or an angry person is like a calm person on PCP. That is some of the most unintelligent, non thought provoking, shallow and utterly ignorant observations I have heard.

My point is to listen to this CD and decide for yourself, I can assure you that if you have a QUASI open mind and appreciate music, you will be impressed. Whether you download a couple albums a week or go to used cd shops and scour for hundreds of hour collecting rare gems, this CD has something to provide you.

Even with the thirty-dollar US price tag, I am going to buy this CD. It is NOT around in used shops on the east coast. If you like this, check out other work under hallucinogen on the twisted records label.

And remember - crack is wack.

Morning Light
Morning Light
24 used & new from $0.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Ninetine Ninety What?, May 25, 2005
This review is from: Morning Light (Audio CD)
I bought this CD based on reviews and instinct. Knowing no other works by component members, Locust's 'Morning light' brings to mind Hooverphonic's Blue wonder Power Milk - Sneaker Pimps - Lamb - and a general experimental and tastefully produced drum and bass plus girl vocal group-ness.

Mark Van Hoen not only writes and composes most of the songs, but he plays multiple instruments on each, and ALL the instruments on a few. I can't remember, but he listed over 10 instruments that he plays. As well, he did the drum programming.

The production is quality throughout, and I'm surprised that some of the tracks were produced so long ago (1993,1995,1997). Programmed uptempo drum breaks, live flutes, sax's, rhodes piano, organs, bamboo pipes, flutes, etc etc etc etc.

Nice big loops and also some nice fluid rhythms. Balanced between the ambient drum and base and the more jazzy. The styling of the vocals might be difficult to get used to at first on a couple tracks, but on others it is sublime.

If you like drum programming, female vocals, well produced tracks and some eclectic chilled instrumentation, you should do yourself a favor and get this. I collect CDs and this is a very welcome addition amongst the similar Lamb, Hooverphonic, Massive Attack, etc.

It gets 4 stars for both quality and it's impressive 1993+ production date.

For Carnation
For Carnation
12 used & new from $4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow and smooth, May 19, 2005
This review is from: For Carnation (Audio CD)
The music is minimal, but well orchestrated. The For Carnation manage to create a sparse, but delicately arranged feeling of melancholy and dark. It's beautiful music, mostly low tempo, with guitar, bass and drums.

The percussion can hardly be said to ever evolve into any kind of danceable tempo, but doesn't drag, it simply wades along through thick tranquil atmospheres.

Words are breathy and restrained, and all the instrumentation is weaved around the words to create a slowly moving delicate sound. The sparse instrumentation seems to lurk out of the darkness and loom for a moment before submerging into the background - all the while contributing to a wonderful, beautiful texture.

It's a very very calm and subdued CD - but it's also very well orchestrated and beautiful.

Headphones ++

Big Silver Shining Motor of Sin
Big Silver Shining Motor of Sin
Price: $10.82
14 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Exhausting two lone swordsmen releases, May 19, 2005
First of all, this isn't an album I just picked up to check out, I have all but 1 other Two Lone Swordsmen release, which I just ordered.

That gets me to my point - It's not necessarily one I might feel inclined to pop in the CD player much. It's only 6 tracks, the last three being remixes of the first three.

I favor their instrumental work, and don't dislike the vocals on this album or Double Gone Chapel, but for me, it detracts from the music.

That being said - it's not a bad album at all, but unless you really really really like double gone chapel and need another taste, or fiend for two lone swordsmen releases on a completist level, you might not suffer from passing it up.

The last three tracks are my favorite, and remind me more of tiny reminders than Stay down.

Good music, but I don't feel it getting much rotation.

Early Works For Me If It Works For You
Early Works For Me If It Works For You
12 used & new from $2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Uniquely and unquestionably excellent, May 17, 2005
Dntel's 'Early works for me if it works for you' is one of, if not my favorite electronic albums of all time. It stirs up images of floating fuzzy harmony and distorted washes of percussion. Many of the percussive elements are skittering static blips, distorted bass hits and frenetic snares, but Dntel manages to wrap it all together in a beautiful, warm, shimmering daydream. The sound quality is amazing, and even the most tiny sounds are greatly detailed. Coupled with the fact that there are numerous layers and extremely quick successions of sound, this album is a full sack of phat sound.

NOTHING at all like Dntel's other works, outside of 'Something always goes wrong', this is a much more creative and beautiful CD than the Postal service could ever hope to offer, and even Life is full of possibilities fails to deliver (while still remaining a wonderful CD). The way in which the production is done with the fuzzy, evolving sounds, beautiful beautiful melodies and intricate programming is held together by a masterfully unique aesthetic, while covering much ground within it's own special place.

Nothing sounds like this CD.

Both 'Something always goes wrong' and 'Early works for me if it works for you' have proven to be very difficult to find, but I reccomend that you look.

If you enjoy peaceful, intricate, beautiful, warm enveloping music, this CD will not only satisfy, but redefine your ideas.

Every time I put on my headphones with this in the CD player, I feel like I've been inserted into a beautiful fantasy within myself.

A++
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2009 6:55 PM PDT

Gentle Giant
Gentle Giant
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $8.04
31 used & new from $3.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Looking back, May 11, 2005
This review is from: Gentle Giant (Audio CD)
I bought this on vinyl for one dollar at a yard sale. It's rather nice to listen to, slow breakbeats and flute, guitar and strings. There's a nice head nodding rhythm to the tracks, while various people very nicely jam on the flute, etc. It's funky, and light. Something I'd listen to on a sunny day with the windows up. The hey Jude track isn't bad, and I didn't consider it to be too bad of recording quality. I was suprised at the quality of all the music, actually. I'm not familiar with lots of music from this era, but do listen to and collect all genres of music and this is a very welcome addition.

Music By Cavelight
Music By Cavelight
Price: $12.99
16 used & new from $0.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Head, December 31, 2004
This review is from: Music By Cavelight (Audio CD)
Finally got around to buying this CD, and I've been very pleased. I've listened to it about 6 times since I bought it 3 days ago. First of all, this is a ninja tune release of instrumental downtempo/trip hop beats. You may have heard Blockhead excellently produce on Aesop Rock's 'Labor Days'. That said, this CD should not be compared to the work of Def Jux's RJD2 beyond the similarity of hip hop influenced instrumental trip hop / hiphop (Some wouldn't consider RJD2 to be hip hop so it's all really relative to your taste)

The CD is overall downtempo and headnodding, although several tracks have a solid trodding beat and rhythm. You'd be better off to pay attention to the tasteful sounds and beats than to look for masterfully produced ground breaking material. Blockhead's taste (in my opinion) shows through more than anything in this album, and the mood it creates is excellent. If you're into transfixing kick snare work, mysterious and beautiful simple melodies and mood music, this CD should appeal to you.

I wouldn't give it 5 stars, but only because it doesn't really push any boundaries in terms of creativity. The material on the CD is excellent, and of the underground type of instrumental hip hop/trip hop I enjoy greatly, Blockhead delivers.

Quality production, quiality taste in instrumentation and samples, quality song writing and quality artwork even. If you like 'different' and quality instrumental trip hop music, blockhead couldn't be denied. I've been waiting to add it to my collection, and thanks to Baltimore's used CD flow, I have it and wouldn't let it go.

This CD is highly recommended. Happy New Year.

Give Up
Give Up
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $14.53
75 used & new from $0.17

3.0 out of 5 stars Houston, we have a problem, July 11, 2004
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
If you are buying this CD with your mind tacked to
'this is the dream of evan and chan' - you might be
dissapointed...
The synergy witnessed on Dntel's possibilities just
doesn't hit the mark for me on Give up. Gibbard comes
across as more whiney emoesque than I can handle. I
found the lyrics to be a little too pop-floaty and
meloncholy, and Tamborello's production to take an
(even without the vocals) uninspired back seat to
Gibbard.
Not horrible, but nothing fresh, and for anyone who
has followed Gibbard or Tamborello - a possible dissapointment.

Dial M for Monkey
Dial M for Monkey
Offered by Cherokee Books
Price: $33.93
12 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not new, simply excellent, June 21, 2004
This review is from: Dial M for Monkey (Audio CD)
If you're looking to hear Bonobo on some new
exotic chillout flambe, you might be dissapointed
in this CD. My friend told me it was hardly worth
a listen but I bought it anyways, because Bonobo
has proven to be an excellent producer. This CD
is not the freshest material. You can hear similar
music on over 50 CD's I own. However, the disc is
excellent due to Bonobo's production skills. The
entire CD is laid back, solid beats with chill
melodies and head nodding percussion. Nothing new,
but it will blow your mind.
If you respect incredibly tasteful music, produced
finely with a solid sound, this CD will please you.
From front to back, it is one of the more solid CDs
I own, and that's amongst a LARGE pool of artists.

O.S.T.
O.S.T.
11 used & new from $11.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 21, 2004
This review is from: O.S.T. (Audio CD)
A friend of mine turned me on to PUTS a few years ago. Had the CD stolen, just picked it up used for five bucks. This is a solid, solid cd. The beats on this cd provide a more live, laid back feeling than most hip hop releases are currently pushing. Thes1 and double k both lay down head bobbing hypnotic feel good flows while keeping the content to a smile inducing true chill. No bang bang (...) on this album, just two guys making ill ill beats and laying some smooth ass flows about their life and LA. Production is top notch, and my ONLY complaint would be thes1 and double k's lack of spectrum on their style. On a first shallow listen, many of the flows sound extremely similar. However, the CD is thorough, the flows on point and the content is excellent. If you don't like this CD, you do not have an open mind. Track 18 baby, track 18.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4