Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Music maven > Reviews

Browse

Music maven's Profile

Customer Reviews: 138

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Music maven RSS Feed (Amherst, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Progeny: Highlights From Seventy-Two (2CD)
Progeny: Highlights From Seventy-Two (2CD)
Price: $16.78
85 used & new from $9.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a Great Yes Live Recording, May 26, 2016
It's always been a mystery to me why a band as extraordinarily talented as Yes has had such abysmal live recordings. This set rectifies that situation dramatically. It really does capture what it was like to be at those concerts (I saw them a couple of times with Bill Bruford and several more with Alan White). The producers and engineers have done a marvelous job of cleaning up the mess, and everything is quite clean and present. The only slight hiccup is that the overall mastering volume is quite low--I have to play this at twice the volume of any other current CD to achieve the appropriate listening volume. I'm not sure why that's the case, and it's easy enough to turn up the amplifier, but it is strange in a product that is all about sonic restoration. One of the revelations on this package is Alan White's drumming. I've always been indifferent, even hostile, to Alan's drumming, both because it's a bit flabby and flailing and because he is standing in the shadow of Bill Bruford, a comparison would be unfair to any drummer. But on this recording he really shines. He's still not as clean or precise as Bruford, and he is clearly struggling with a part here and there, but he is cleaner than I have heard him elsewhere, and plays with real fire and has some wonderful fills. I bought my first Yes album in 1969 and have been a diehard fan ever since, so you can trust me when I say that this is well worth buying.

The Movies
The Movies
6 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lost Gem, January 30, 2016
This review is from: The Movies (Vinyl)
This is one of those gems from this period that never got the attention it deserved. This LP has many really wonderful songs--intelligent lyrics, strong melodies, great harmonies, and nice arrangements. There's a lot of Broadway musical sensibility here, which is no bad thing, but that may be why they didn't get more attention--it wasn't hip to like Broadway then. But this LP has stood the test of time much better than most. It stills great today.

Dolica LA600 Pro 60-Inch Aluminum Alloy Traveler Edition Tripod (Black)
Dolica LA600 Pro 60-Inch Aluminum Alloy Traveler Edition Tripod (Black)
Offered by Focus Camera
Price: $69.95
10 used & new from $57.42

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bargain of the Century, December 23, 2015
Given the very reasonable price of this tripod, I was prepared to be disappointed, even with all the positive reviews. But I have to say that I am absolutely astonished by the quality of this product. Every piece and part is clearly thought through, over-engineered, and manufactured to a very high degree. An example: I unscrewed the cap at the end of the center stalk to invert it, only to discover the bolt inside was a quarter-inch thick. This is a part that most customers will never see and that is out of sight in any event, yet even this is manufactured to what seems to be military specs. The ballhead is also very well designed and manufactured. The motion is smooth and easily controlled with one lever. My previous tripod was a Manfrotto, which I had always thought of as top-drawer, but the Dolica is far better made.

Despite the substantial construction, the tripod is amazing light, yet it seems sturdy. I'm six feet tall, and I find the height to be just fine, though it does mean the center post has to be fully extended, which makes things a little more susceptible to vibration--- but that's why it has a hook for a weight on the center post; with a weight on it, I feel it will work perfectly. That's the tradeoff that any tripod faces for me: if it's tall and immovable, it's also going to be heavy, which means I'll be less inclined to bring it. The best tripod in the world is useless if I leave it home. I'm sure somewhere there's a tripod that combines all the best features--tall, strong, flexible, and light---but I can't afford it, The Dolica is, for me, the best possible tripod: one that I will use, that is well made, and that I can afford.

Goodbye Blue Sky
Goodbye Blue Sky
19 used & new from $13.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A Not-so-Little Piece of Pop Heaven, December 16, 2015
This review is from: Goodbye Blue Sky (Audio CD)
This is easily the best of the Godley and Creme recordings, and, really, it could be considered the best 10cc album, too. It's only half the band, of course, but the songs, the feel, the production, are all pure 10cc, and the songs are as strong--or stronger--than anything the full band did. The production, in particular, deserves a special callout. It is amazingly rich--I've listened to this hundreds of times, and I still hear something new every time--yet the production never gets in the way of the songs (as so much production does these days). On the contrary, it enlarges and supports each song. The fact that the boys recorded and mixed it themselves at home is surely the reason for that. This is a work of love, and it shows. The liberal use of the bass harmonica makes it a special treat--there's a texture to that instrument that nothing else quite hits. If you love pop music, indelible melodies, rich harmonies, witty lyrics, and amazing singing, this recording needs to be in your collection.

SPIN-CLEAN - STARTER KIT RECORD WASHER SYSTEM Mk2
SPIN-CLEAN - STARTER KIT RECORD WASHER SYSTEM Mk2
Offered by BrandRack
Price: $71.49
29 used & new from $71.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A Godsend for record lovers., December 12, 2015
I am amazed at how effective this is. One of the first records I cleaned was an LP that I bought used. It is one of my favorite records, but the previous owner had done terrible things to it. Unfortunately, it's quite rare, and I've been unable to find another, better copy. I used several other cleaning products to try and rescue the recording, but the result was unlistenable. Then I cleaned it with the record washer, and the surfaces are now completely quiet and clean. I would not have believed it possible if I hadn't heard it myself. Saving this record alone made it worth the purchase price. Every record I clean with it has new life. It couldn't be simpler to use, and the results are astounding. Even if you think your records are pristine, you should buy this. I take fanatical care of my records, but even the most perfect LP I had was improved with a dip in the Spin-Clean bath.I give it my highest recommendation.

Born To Play Guitar
Born To Play Guitar
Price: $11.54
81 used & new from $4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Thing, November 10, 2015
This review is from: Born To Play Guitar (Audio CD)
Man oh man is this recording good! It's raw, playful, and it has the feel of real people playing in real time with real passion. I first saw Buddy play in 1966, and he tore the place up--a musical memory that is burned into my brain--but I'm here to tell you that this is even better than that. His playing is as fiery as ever, but his technique, his fluency just continue to grow. And the years are nowhere evident on him. He plays and sings with more energy and freshness than any 20-year-old. In fact the whole band plays like their lives depend on it. Tom Hambridge is the perfect producer for this--and the perfect drummer, too. The whole thing has the appropriate wildness--too many blues records these days are antiseptic, with the engineers and producers cleaning everything up and separating all the instruments. Here we get all the glorious, messy rawness that is the essence of the blues. The songs are great, too. If you have even the slightest interest in the blues (or even if you don't), you should buy this CD immediately. It will do you good.

Haiti
Haiti
24 used & new from $3.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Soca Heaven, August 3, 2015
This review is from: Haiti (Audio CD)
It always seemed a mystery to me that David Rudder wasn't a bigger star outside of the Caribbean. He wrote great songs and sang them with passion, and this CD is a prime example. From the triumphant "Rally Round the West Indies" to the rollicking "Panama" and "Bacchanal Lady," you'll have these songs running through your head and your hips all day. And if you can sit still when "The Hammer" is playing, you'll want to check your pulse to be sure you have one. Like the best soca, this CD combines celebration and tart commentary in equal measure, with melody and rhythm also in equal measure. There are a couple of songs that are a little less strong, but overall, this is a great CD.

Bear Motion for iPad Air 2 - Genuine Leather Folio Case with Multiple Position Stand for Apple iPad Air 2 - Brown
Offered by Pro Ebiz
Price: $18.99
4 used & new from $15.19

4.0 out of 5 stars The iPad Case You Deserve, July 3, 2015
I couldn't be more pleased with this cover. The leather (and it is real leather) is surprisingly high quality, the fit for my iPad Air 2 is perfect, and the function is exactly what I need. It has multiple positions, and it stays where you put it. The case feels great in my hand, and while it does add some weight and a bit of bulk, the elegant appearance and tidy fit offset that. I would have no problem at all bringing this to a high-level corporate function. And I feel like the corners provide good protection, as does the cover itself. I looked at dozens of cases in stores and none was even remotely as nice as this one, but all were several times more expensive. Fantastic deal.

What Else Can Go Right
What Else Can Go Right
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cure for Everything in the Whole World, June 5, 2015
This review is from: What Else Can Go Right (MP3 Music)
For my taste, there is NRBQ, Terry Anderson, and then, bringing up a distant rear, everybody else. Terry has the magic, the keys to rock and roll heaven, and he's opened the doors wide on this recording. I tried listening to this at work, and I ended up dancing with my boss. I tried listening in the car, and I got a speeding ticket. I tried listening at home, and the neighbors came over and started a party (and forgot about my running over their mailbox). Every song is a winner, played with reckless enthusiasm and driving abandon. You can throw away all your medications for depression and just put this on the sound system--you'll be cured halfway through the second song.

The Humours of Autorickshaw
The Humours of Autorickshaw
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant recording, January 23, 2015
One of my favorite albums. Great songs, great musicianship, lots of variety, rhythmic and harmonic complexity, and a successful blend of Indian, jazz, and rock styles--something that's rarely pulled of this successfully (it makes you want to dance, even as it makes you wish you had some extra legs to do it). The production is brilliant, too, bringing out the particular character of each piece and adding to the sense of variety from track to track. The band says they spent a very long time working on this, and it shows--a real masterpiece. I've got this pretty much on autorepeat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14