Profile for S. Dexter > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Dexter RSS Feed

MOTOACTV 8 GB GPS Fitness Tracker and Music Player (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by DAILYSALES
Price: $133.99
26 used & new from $79.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Potential.. but needs some fine tuning, November 29, 2011
Let me start by saying I owned this device for just under 3 weeks before returning it. If you haven't read any other reviews then the #1 issue above and beyond all else is battery life. There were a few reasons I chose to return the device but first and foremost was battery life.
Pro's
1. Hardware. The device is solid. Build quality was excellent, the device was durable, and I didn't have a problem with the rubber seal near the USB.
2. I like the headphones included and never had a problem with the cable being short or them falling off my ears which could be because I wore mine as a wristwatch using the additional wrist strap. I then ran the cable up my sleeve. When on the treadmill I left the wire to dangle and it never posed a problem. Actually if anything it was a bit long but I'd rather have it be too long than too short.
3. GPS accuarcy was on point outdoors.
4. Screen was easy to see in any sort of light.
5. Motocast. Good software and easy to upload data too.
6. Sound quality was good and the user interface of the device was clean and simple.
Con's
1. I could not get this thing to display anything in miles, only kilometers. I went through every setting and it seemed the only way I could see miles is when I uploaded the data to Motocast. I've always timed myself in miles so this was super annoying and I'm fairly tech handy so either you can't do it or it's entirely too difficult to find. I mean even if miles and kilometers are both options why wouldn't miles be the default?
2. Battery. Too short for anyone doing any sort of real distance.
3. Pricing. My problem here is I wanted this device as an all in one. I wanted the SF500 headphones so they would serve as a HRM which as of now are still not released. There should be an upgrade option for those of us who want the MOTOACTV and the SF500 headphones all in one box even if you charge say 299.99. Instead you want us to pay 249.99(which includes a pair of headphones which will be rendered useless once I buy the SF500's which are overpriced) Yes, they are headphones and a HRM but I can but a top notch Timex for 70.00 and that's an entire wrist watch and chest strap.
4. Indoors on the treadmill the GPS was way off even after calibrating it. Not a deal breaker but I wasted time calibrating something that wasn't even remotely close. Tried one more time with the same results so I gave up on that.
5. The notifications didn't work to well when linking the device to my Droid X. I was able to read my texts but when I had a voicemail I couldn't listen to it. Also on more than one occasion when I received a text while biking I went to read it and it caused the device to restart and my bike ride was now split into a few workouts. Super annoying .

Overall I had high hopes for this device but I'm holding off until they get the bugs out and bring down the costs a bit.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2012 4:12 AM PST

Timex Ironman Men's Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor Watch, Black/Orange, Full Size
Offered by Outland USA
Price: $79.95
5 used & new from $34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Chest Straps, August 24, 2011
As a lot of people have stated above these seem to have defective chest straps. I'm also on my second one of these products within four months. I've had the same problem reported by most people here where it displays the empty heart icon but it refuses to recieve the data. I sent the first one back to Amazon after a month and the second one made it just past the point where Amazon will take it back so now I'm forced to send it to Timex.

What really upset me is when I contacted Timex they were extremely familiar with this problem as if they receive complaints about this model on a regular basis. There solution which is a huge inconvenience is to ship them the model back and they will repair it rather than just replace it.

I will say that while it works well when it does work it doesn't matter if it breaks every two months or so. Out of the 4 months I've owned this it has only been in working condition for 3 of those.

The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time
by Michael Craig
Price: $14.99
153 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much filler but a good story, May 24, 2007
This book for any poker player or just anyone who is interested in high stakes poker is a real page turner. Craig has done a wonderful job on finding many hard to find details of what exactly

Andy Beal did and has a made a pretty good book out of this story.My problem is I feel as though there is too much filler about things that I had no interest in or any real value to the story. He fills severeal pages with things like where players grew up or who used to own what casino in Vegas. They made be intersting facts but I bought the book to read about a story of high stakes poker not the history of vegas and its players.