Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for Joseph S. Powell, III > Reviews

Browse

Joseph S. Powell...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joseph S. Powell, III RSS Feed (bessemer, al United States)

Report on the Cahaba coal field, (Alabama. State geologist. Special report)
Report on the Cahaba coal field, (Alabama. State geologist. Special report)
by Joseph Squire
2 used & new from $66.50

4.0 out of 5 stars ..By my Great, Great Grandfather..., September 14, 2007
....This book was written by my Great, Great Grandfather, who was a well-to-do geologist from England who settled in Alabama.
I perused the book, and while it may not prove to be a gripping drama, it is a comprehensive, intelligent geographical report on the coal fields around the Cahaba river in Alabama (near the Birmingham area).

Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
DVD ~ Zohra Lampert
17 used & new from $7.28

4.0 out of 5 stars MAN I'm a happy camper!!!, May 28, 2006
This review is from: Let's Scare Jessica to Death (DVD)
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

It's been SO LONG that I've waited for this flick to come out on DVD...

Sure, it's obscure, but so is Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, and that one's been out for about six or seven years!!

Jessica was one of the first films I had seen that genuinely creeped me out....

I'll never forget....I was fourteen....it was a Saturday afternoon in early 1982, and the local independant station aired it...

I had been looking forward to it, because at that time I was eager to check out all the weird movies that had been airing (such as the abovementioned Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, and They Saved Hitler's Brain).

It was a fine spring Saturday afternoon, but man, oh, man...when that vampire woman came out of the lake, telpathically whispering to Jessica to "...Stay.....stay..."....wow. Creepy.

That vampire woman was played by Mariclare Costello, a gorgeous actress who also for a time played a teacher on The Waltons.

All this time, the only copy I've ever had was a recording I made off of Cinemax in 1993, and I've since dubbed that fuzzy copy to DVD because I thought this film would never be released in that format, but am I ever glad that it's about to!!

I won't give any real spoilers, but if you're one who loves psychological horror (as opposed to all the glitzy CG FX, etc, ad infinitum), then this very obscure, mostly unknown flick from the early 70's is for you!!!

Highlander 2 - Special Edition
Highlander 2 - Special Edition
DVD ~ Christopher Lambert
20 used & new from $2.89

1.0 out of 5 stars ....WHY did they do it?!??!?!??, June 28, 2005
I was always a fan of the original Highlander, and when I heard there was to be a sequel (even though I wasn't sure how that could have been done since MaCleod had already won "The Prize"), I was truly stoked to see it!

Imagine my heartfeld disappointment to learn that the fools who wrote this film deceided to explain the Immortals as being from "The Planet Geist".

It is my earnest hope that someone has given them a solid punch in the face for doing that!!

Did they really think this was a good idea?

I can just imagine some Hollywood office, where some idiotic fools (like the ones responsible for Lawnmower Man 2) came up with the idea...."Hey, J.B., how about we try to explain the Immortals as being....ALIENS!!!" ..."Hank, BUBBIE...that's SENSATIONAL!"...."And how about an environmental angle...such as, say, having Macleod saving the world by designing a shield to protect the world because the ozone layer has dissolved away"....."Hank, BUBBIE! You're a GENIUS! That can be what the whole "Prize" thingy was about, oy vey!".

So the idea of the Planet Geist was born.

Note that all subsequent Highlander films (as well as the series) DO NOT mention anything about "Aliens from the Planet Geist"...nor should they, as Highlander 2, even though it starred Chritopher Lambert and Sean Connery, has been officially stricken from the Highlander canon, IE it's simpley treated like it never existed (and rightly, rightly so!).

So, if you're a fan of the original Highlander film and have never seen this one, do yourself a favor and avoid it, as it is not considered an official part of the ongoing Highlander storyline.

It's been 13 years since this horrible slap in the face has premeired, and I am bitter that Highlander fans have still not received an apology.

Lawnmower Man 2 - Jobe's War
Lawnmower Man 2 - Jobe's War
DVD ~ Patrick Bergin
Offered by discountedmediaoutlet
Price: $5.98
95 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars So horrible it's insulting......, June 28, 2005
This review is from: Lawnmower Man 2 - Jobe's War (DVD)
...I truly enjoyed the first Lawnmower Man film, it was imaginative and had a plot that really drew you into the movie, and the ending left your spine tingling (the birth-cry of Jobe, all the phones in the world ringing...), so you can imagine how I was excited to watch the sequel in '96...

If you've seen this film, you can also imagine my disappointment, as what could have been a truly great film was turned into the most worthless garbage sequel ever produced!

It has almost nothing to do with the original film, and all of a sudden, we are living in the "world of the future" which featured the kid from the first Lawnmower Man film, who is only a few years older - how'd that happen?

I thought sequels had hit a new low with the gosh-awful Highlander 2 (planet Geist, anyone?), but Lawnmower Man 2 has truly surpassed it by leaps and bounds.

Not only the worst movie ever made, but as the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons would say, "Worst. Sequel. Ever.".

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Was a great basic watch....until the dog got a hold of it..., January 24, 2005
I purchased this model of Casio's famous G-Shock series back in early 1999, and the feature which attracted me most was the "Illuminator", the electro-luminescent back lighting for viewing in the dark - a marked improvement over the tiny light bulb built into my previous G-Shock which I had purchased in 1988 (the original model!).

It served me well for two years, and I only gave it up because I was eager to obtain a newer G-Shock model with the "Data Bank" - unfortunately I made the unwise choice of a cloth band with velcro.

I am a guy who never takes off his watch, either in bed or the shower (comes in handy when you want to know if you're running behind schedule getting ready for work!), so the cloth band with the velcro worked out miserably - not only that, but I very seldom used the Data Bank feature.

At that point it would have been good to go back to the model I am reviewing, if it weren't for the unfortunate fact that I had left it at my Mother's house on a lamp table, and it was soon thereafter discovered by my mother's dog, Foster, who found the resin band to be an excellent chew-toy.

The body of the watch was undamaged and the band could have been replaced, but my Mother had thrown away the perfectly good watch as she thought it was totalled.

I have very recently purchased my FOURTH G-Shock, a solar-atmoic one, as my Data-Bank one has died on me - however, had my mother only not thrown out my DW6900, I could have gone back to that, as I'm sure it is still keeping accurate time to this day, sadly deep in some landfill.

1984
1984
DVD ~ John Hurt
27 used & new from $10.30

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-see film for EVERYONE but the soundtrack...., May 29, 2003
This review is from: 1984 (DVD)
Let me start by stating that the transfer on this disc is right on the money, revealing every gritty detail in the London of 1984 (both story-wise and, in fact, also when and where this movie was filmed)
Orwell's 1984 contains a message for us all, and on the day this film is banned - worry.
This is one of my staple films that I like to come back to every year or so, and it's an excellent adaptation of Orwell's novel (unlike the 1954 version that I once purchased out of curiousity).
Everything in Winston Smith's London has a poverty that rival's Moscow's during the Cold War, and the element of dread of the opressive INGSOC government and the Thought Police is conveyed perfectly!
I was quite pleased that this film had finally made it to DVD, but discovered much to my chagrin that the soundtrack wasn't the same one that I had been accustomed to hearing in all these years of seeing this film.
The soundtrack that is on the VHS and premium-cable version of the film was performed by the Eurythmics, and in my opinion enhanced the surreal feeling of dread and hopelessness that is at the core of this film.
On the disc, however, is the score that the director originally wanted - in the 80's it was replaced with the Eurythmics soundtrack in the American theatrical and video releases to make it more "marketable".
I could understand if perhaps the disc could have contained alternate soundtrack options - since this is a bare-bones disc that wouldn't have been too difficult, I imagine, but unfortunately we don't get a choice.
I'm not saying the score the director preferred is necessarily inferior - simply that, after years and years of watching this film, my mind associates certain scenes with certain scores, and now that all that is changed...well, I guess the only thing I can do is play my VHS recording of the film while watching the DVD picture.
We should have been given a choice in soundtracks, as Universal did with Legend.

The World At War - Complete Set
The World At War - Complete Set
DVD ~ Laurence Olivier
12 used & new from $40.14

5.0 out of 5 stars The World At War, August 25, 2001
This is IT!.....The ULTIMATE WWII series - nothing else even comes close! 25 hours of thourough detail, authentic (and rare!) footage, interviews with American, British, German, Italian & Japanese veterans...Hitler's chauffer and secretary..concentration camp survivors....Japanese and Marine veterans from the Pacific..this one has it all and then some.... It does not present the war in a totally chronological order, but intentionally so to keep similar subject matter flowing. If you're a WWII buff, this is an absolute MUST HAVE...and if you're not a WWII buff, this series may just turn you into one! NOTHING ELSE COMES CLOSE....nor do I expect anything in the future to, either...

The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (New Line Platinum Series)
The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (New Line Platinum Series)
DVD ~ Heather Langenkamp
Offered by The Big Lebowski
Price: $14.89
15 used & new from $9.40

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ULTIMATE FREDDY......, June 24, 2000
Last year I purchased the first Nightmare movie on DVD, under the assumption that I could get the others one at a time, only to discover..... Well, since then I've rented all the Freddy DVD's, and have been looking forward to purchasing the box set, which I have done this very day from Amazon. Of all the splatter villains, Fred Krueger's the only one who ever had any class (or humour!) The Nightmare films offer a glimpse into the spirit of the 80's - Kill 'em all, but do it with STYLE.....
And that is just what Freddy Krueger does - kills us all with style - if you've never seen any Nightmare films, you're in for a treat - they'll KILL you with laughter! Sure, you get some very cheesy moments, but all in all you are taken back to a more innocent time, and the DVD versions present it all in 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. If you remember Freddy, or even if you've never seen him before, getting this set is something you won't regret!