Profile for Jonathan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jonathan RSS Feed (Tucker, Gabon)

Breda Men's 1658A Watch With Brown Leather Band
Breda Men's 1658A Watch With Brown Leather Band
Price: $24.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk Watch, September 5, 2014
Watched looked good when I got it. It's rather thick and the trim is gold/brass.

The problem is that apparently is got a junk watch mechanism. It completely quick working in less than 48 hours after wearing it. At first the second hand stopped and thought I had a bad battery, but then the minute hand apparently had come completely loose and would swing any which way.

I don't recommend and I'm going to stay away from all the "Breda" watches.

eForCity 352540 High Speed 50-Feet 15m Male HDMI Cable, Black
eForCity 352540 High Speed 50-Feet 15m Male HDMI Cable, Black
Offered by Cables-Direct-Online
Price: $24.95
8 used & new from $15.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality problems, June 30, 2013
I bought this cable and tried it with a 1080p signal from an Xbox 360 to an LG 42" LED TV. In the dark areas of the screen, I always got green pixelation, and pixelation would often occur on other points on the screen. This is a cheap cable. I used the Blue Rigger cable of the same length and it worked terrifically. To me, the cable maker has major quality control issues, and at best you're simply rolling the dice with the cable as whether it will actually work.

I can say that the Blue Rigger 50' doesn't also have the same quality control problems, but the one I got worked as intended.

Samsung HW-C700 AV Receiver
Samsung HW-C700 AV Receiver

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, despite some draw backs, December 13, 2011
I picked this up on a pre-black Friday deal through a Newegg vendor for $180. It wasn't the most pleasant experience, and I certainly prefer using Amazon pass through vendors or the ones at Newegg. Still, overall I'm pleased with the receiver with a few caveats.

First, the receiver sounds great, the HDMI switching works well with my Sony BD player, Xbox 360 and Home Theater PC. It works and for the price, I couldn't really expect more.

Now to the problems, and this might answer some of those who gave really negative reviews.

1) The speaker posts (connectors) on the back are cheap. What I mean is that the speakers are very hard to get plugged up correctly, as it's hard to get a clean connection with the speaker wire to the receiver. If you don't have a good, clean connection with the speaker wire to the post on the receiver, you will get popping, sound coming in and out, the receiver powering down because of fear of over load, or just low or no sound coming out of the speaker. I experienced all of these and it took an hour or so to get the wires connected just right with the receiver properly placed in the cabinet. You just have to take your time to get the connections perfect and test each speaker as you go. In a 7.1 setup, this can take a lot of time. Ultimately, I got it all connected and working, and it sounds good.

2)The instructions are terrible. The manual, as others have said is useless, and setup is on the LED read out on the receiver. I'm pretty tech savy, and I find the manual completely lacking. It's not that it's bad per say, it just doesn't tell you anything other than giving you a menu tree.

3) Ipod controls stink. The receiver comes with an ipod dock. This is pretty much useless, as I couldn't figure out how to control the Ipod at all with the receiver, which takes control over it. I could hit play and it would play all the songs on the ipod, but I had no control over which song or the ability to do anything but skip to the very next song. Also the controls on the ipod were disabled so there wasn't anyway to control it directly with that. This is a total throw away feature. You should just hook your ipod up through a 1/4 inch to RCA cable and go with the ipod direct control.

In sum, I highly rate this equipment, because of the price vs. value approach. I'm not going to use it with my ipod much, but mostly to watch Bluray movies and play xbox games, and it seems to do this fine, with good sound and proper switching. Plus, it's in a cabinet and won't be moved much. So, it's a 4-star purchase for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2011 2:28 PM PST

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
DVD ~ Shia LaBeouf
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $11.56
166 used & new from $1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Who cares about the special features, September 30, 2011
I've been into director's commentaries and making of featurettes since they first started coming out on DVD's in the late 90's (The Matrix and Wargames come to mind for excellent commentaries). I've found that there is diminishing returns on these.

Pretty much all the featurettes are worthless for new movies. Actors running around in front of blue/green screens and graphic artists sitting in front of computers are pretty much all the same. It's mostly boring stuff that might be watched once. They were cool when DVD was new and this stuff was fresh. But now, except for the true classics (original Star Wars trilogy), aren't even worth the time to watch. Transformers isn't going to have anything worth the time to even surf through. I've seen the features on the first two movies deluxe sets and they weren't anything worth watching.

As for commentaries, these are sometimes very good. But this is only true for certain directors/producers for certain types of material (Donnie Darko for instance, Zack Snider also does a good job). Michael Bay's commentaries are generally worthless, where he just comments on how he likes some scene or how something looks totally awesome. Really, who cares, so he liked his own movie.

Basically, this blu-ray has great picture and sound. That's all that people on the whole really want for this release. There isn't going to be some extended release later, so this isn't Avatar or Lord of the Rings "bare bones." This is the movie.

So go buy it if you like big popcorn action/sci-fi, it's a decent film, with spectacular special effects. I strongly doubt any of the rumored future versions with special features will add much of value. What they will have is a higher price tag.

Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy (Episode I: The Phantom Menace / Episode II: Attack of the Clones / Episode III: Revenge of the Sith) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Hayden Christensen
Offered by Heaven Sent by revdwl
Price: $72.99
17 used & new from $22.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing can redeem these films, January 21, 2011
The "prequel trilogy" are probably the most disappointing films of all time. No amount of spit or polish (aka 1080p, re-mastering, up-res-ing, etc.) can make these films even slightly good. Each film has a nonsensical plot, horrible dialog, lazy cinematography (most soap operas are better than this), and even the bad special effects, which were clearly the only thing that Lucas cared about. It often seems like a 5 year old wrote these films. The CGI doesn't hold up, and looks extremely synthetic, especially Ep. 1. In all, each of these films are an unmitigated disasters.

I've bought the DVD's, and I have to say I'm completely done with these terrible and unwatchable films. These are actually films that get worse the more you view them, as the plot holes become more and more glaring. At the very least, Lucas decided to sell the originals separately, which is about the only thing this box set is good for.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2011 7:45 AM PDT

Star Trek: The Original Series: Season 2 (Remastered Edition)
Star Trek: The Original Series: Season 2 (Remastered Edition)
DVD ~ William Shatner
Price: $37.99
4 used & new from $35.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Marginally better, but no HD, August 15, 2008
I recently picked up Season 2 remastered. After the glowing reviews of others, and how much I liked the HD-DVD remastered release of season 1, I thought I couldn't go wrong. Ok, I own the original DVD Season 2 release already, but being a big trekkie fan and never seeing the remastered shows of season 2 on broad cast, I picked it up. P.S. I'm no purist, and I love the new CGI space scenes. (personally, I wish they had pushed it further).

Alright, well the picture quality for me in this set is no where near as good as Season 1 HD-DVD remastered. I'm sure all of it is due to the difference in formats. But,= still, for me it's a big drop off, and compared to many of other recently release DVD's , it doesn't really look as good. I only really see a marginal difference between the original DVD season 2. Further, the special features aren't any different that the original DVD set, and is the area I'm really disappointed. I would have loved some sort of fan commentary track or critic track. There is so much history to these episodes, added commentary tracks would have made it a must buy for me.

So bottom line, if you don't own the first Season 2 DVD's already, and want to see your star trek now...well I recommend. But if your someone who really sees the different in HD over standard pictures and/or own the original DVD season 2 set, then just wait for the inevitable bluray version or for season two to completely come to xbox-live/i-tunes, where you can cherry pick the remastered eps you want.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2008 7:30 AM PDT