Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kindle Customer "agatsu" RSS Feed (Champaign, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Trazos
Trazos
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recording by a great guitarist, April 20, 2015
This review is from: Trazos (MP3 Music)
Great recording. I particularly like the Rondó de Vidrio and Pangea.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you thinking about reality, faith, and what being human means., April 2, 2015
Is he an android, or isn't he? Philip Dick's novel keeps you off-balance, wondering who is who, and are the killers better than the prey?

Just about the only confusing thing in the book was the Mission Street "police station", and why the androids, when testing the remains of the Russian "police officer", didn't say they were human remains. I guess the androids are more-truthful than the humans, or at least more-truthful than I am used to.

After reading the book, I am curious what the screenwriter for Bladerunner felt about the amount of material he had to chop and alter. The story feels very different than the movie.

Pentel Sharp Kerry Mechanical Pencil - 0.5 mm - Olive Green Body (P1035-KD)
Pentel Sharp Kerry Mechanical Pencil - 0.5 mm - Olive Green Body (P1035-KD)
Offered by Santa Trading Japan (GBI)
Price: $22.99
14 used & new from $16.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, as ever...., March 24, 2015
I've been using Pentel 0.5mm pencils for decades; I love the fact they do not poke holes in your pocket. They last a few years each, though I drop them often enough the little eraser cover gets dented.

The build quality has remained constant over the years. I can no longer remember if the first one i got was all-metal. The current incarnation has a metal cap (the part with the pocket clip), and a plastic body (the knurled center piece of which is also still metal.) Well made, and I expect to get several years' worth of use from this one, too. Highly recommended.

UPDATE: There is one difference between the older Pentels I own and this one. The cap for the lead container (if you remove the cap, the silver knurled plastic cover for the tube containing the leads) used to have a short metal rod attached that you could use to clear any jammed leads from the point. This pencil does not have that little rod, so clearing the tip requires you to disassemble the pencil, let a short bit of lead out of the racheting mechanism, and inserting this lead CAREFULLY into the tip end so as not to break it. I much prefer the little metal rod. I have to remove one star because of this important omission.

Wink Connected Home Hub PWHUB-WH01
Wink Connected Home Hub PWHUB-WH01

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple robot creation doesn't work.(updated), January 21, 2015
I would like to have this device work. I ran into it at Home Depot, and bought the Hub, a GE light (a Zigbee device) and a Z-Wave light controller.

I paired the light and the controller with the Hub, and they seem to work (with variable delays that I cannot explain. The first night I tried this it took over two minutes to turn the GE light on;, my current experience varies from a few seconds to about a minute.)

My problem comes when I try to create a simple robot that will turn a light on at 4:30 and off at 12AM. I just want to create an "Unattended" robot that I can activate if we are out of town. The page to create the robot has section labeled "When this robot detects". You can choose exactly one thing here: "My Location." Obviously I don't want to set that; I don't want it to care about my location. So the second part is "During this time." Okay, I choose that. I then can set a "Start" and "End" time. Great. I choose 4:30PM as the start time, and 12AM as the end time. "Every day" sounds fine.

So I hit the "Back" button at the top of this page. The prior page has the "During this time" checked, and times specified are "4:30 PM to 5:00 PM". It doesn't matter how many times I do this (well, maybe there is a lower limit I haven't hit; I only tried four or five times), this is the result. I want 12AM, not 5PM as the end time.

The only thing I can find that I can control the device with is this app. It is a "Restful API", so it should be controllable using something like IFTTT, but they claim on the FAQ that only the app works. I have spent half an hour or so looking on-line for some "tutorial" showing how to control the Hub using something besides the app, but so far I have come up empty.

This is my first foray into home automation. I will probably throw this into a closet and buy something like a Micasa Vera, and try one of those. I am sorely-disappointed with this.

Update 1/24/2015: After comments posted by Sarah (thanks, Sarah!), I have to revise my star-rating a bit. Turns out "Scheduled Events" are what I was looking for, though the interface is cumbersome. To make an unattended schedule for a week for two lights, I create "Turn Light 1 on", "Turn Light 2 on", "Turn Light 2 off", "Turn Light 1 Off." Then when I return home I delete the four events. If I want to do it again, I create the four events again.

I think there is promise in the Wink, but I'd like more ability to deal with it directly, and outside of an app. I am revising my rating to four stars.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2015 9:25 PM PST

Solitaire City Lite HD
Solitaire City Lite HD

1.0 out of 5 stars I was able to play it once, and then ..., October 2, 2014
This review is from: Solitaire City Lite HD (App)
I was able to play it once, and then it would no longer start up. I tried running it three or four times, and each time it came back to the home screen after a few seconds. I have a Kindle Fire HDX, which you would suppose is new enough to play solitaire.

Nuforce NE-600X-BLK High-Efficiency In-Ear Headphones (Black)
Nuforce NE-600X-BLK High-Efficiency In-Ear Headphones (Black)
Offered by Multitech Computer Services, Inc.
Price: $14.65
8 used & new from $12.70

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price (and well beyond) a great deal, May 20, 2014
Last year I purchased a NuForce Ido to drive a pair of orthodynamic headphones I got (HifiMan He400s,) I have been very pleased with the amp, and I have been receiving promotional emails from NuForce since.

I have been buying JVC earbuds (most recently HA-FX35s) since they were recommended in Sensible Sound (a defunct audio magazine, sadly-missed.) They run about $18 at Walmart, and when a pair gives up the ghost I just pick up a new pair. I do go through a few pair a year. For the price they have decent bass and fairly-extended highs.

Last month I got an email from NuForce saying the NE-600X earbuds had dropped in price to $15, so I decided to take a flyer on them. For the price, what did I have to lose? So I bought a pair.

I got them a month ago, and after getting them out of the box (they come with three differently-sized soft surrounds, but the one that came with the earbuds fit me fine.) I put them on, fired up the iPod, and immediately noticed three thiings:

1. They have incredible bass! If the music you're listening to has a lot of bass you _will_ experience it.
2. They are ultra-efficient. It was the first time I heard the hiss my iPod internal amp makes; the listening level I use with the NuForce earbuds is significantly-less than the JVC earbuds.
3. When the music you're listening to has treble, you will hear that, too.

The earbuds sound effortless, listening to classical, jazz or rock (at least the rock I listen to.) They have that indefinable "laid-back" feeling my HifiMan headphones have. You wonder if there is sufficient treble, and then a cymbal or an electric piano or classical guitar starts, and you don't question anymore.

All this said, the caveats I made when I reviewed the Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi earbuds apply here too. You have to have the right surrounds on them, or the seal between the earbuds and your ears will be poor, and the bass will suffer. All the sound will suffer, in fact. These earbuds are much easier to get in my ears correctly than the Triple-Fi.

An additional point to note is they are called "noise-isolating" for a reason. When you have them in right, you will have trouble hearing your surroundings when music is playing. Don't wear them bicycling.

I hate to say this; NuForce should offer these at Brookstone or Inmotion at triple the price. Buy a pair, try them yourself.

UPDATE May 26, 2014: I have to make some additional comments about the earbuds with respect to the new Nuforce HD player for the Iphone/iPad. The player employs technology from Dirac HD, which among other things is supposed to improve impulse response from the earbuds. I am always up for software solutions to problems, so I got the app ($0.99 from the iTunes store) and tried the earbuds with it.

The first thing I noticed is the lower midrange is more prominent with the player. I did not expect a big change in the character of the earbuds from just impulse response improvements, so I was worried my original evaluation of the earbuds was flawed.

Where the lower midrange is important (orchestral works such as "Legend of Ashitaka" from Joe Hisaishi's "Princess Mononoke" soundtrack, male vocals like "Como Yo" from Juan Luis Guerra's "La Llave De Mi Corazón", or "Moondance" by Michael Bublé) there is some improvement. If the Dirac HD is turned off the sound is more "punchy" (the bass is more-prominent.) If I were to make a change I would prefer the EQ to be somewhere between flat and what the Nuforce people have set it to in the app. I do not perceive a big change in the impulse response; the earbuds have good impulse response out-of-the-box.

In the end your brain adjusts to the whole tonality, so after listening for a few minutes the sound "sounds right" whether the Dirac HD is on or off, and I am pleased with either sound. I am still very happy with the unaltered sound of the earbuds, but I can see why someone might prefer the Dirac-enhanced version. If you have the earbuds, and are not quite satisfied with the sound, I would recommend trying out the inexpensive app before giving up on the earbuds.

Pandora
Pandora
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious problem with Kindle Fire HDX after installing Pandora, April 7, 2014
This review is from: Pandora (App)
I don't install that many apps on my Kindle. (I currently have Yahoo Mail, Adobe Reader, NewEgg, and U.S. Presidents installed.)

I installed Pandora a week or so ago, the first app I installed in a couple months, and more as a lark than anything. I love Pandora, and have it on my iPhone and my computer. I listened for a few minutes, then paused it, went to the home screen, and then forgot about it.

A few days later I opened my Kindle; Nothing happened. I assumed the battery was drained. I pressed the Power button a few seconds: it gave a little chime, nothing else. I closed the Oragami case, hooked up the charger, and let it sit for twenty minutes. Then I tried opening it. Nothing. I pressed the Power Button again, a little chime. I waited half a minute and the lock screen appeared. The indicator said 64% charged, so it had some charge the whole time.

I tried unlocking the Kindle. Nothing happened for about twenty seconds, then the unlock icon slid left and after a few more seconds the PIN screen appeared. I entered my PIN, nothing. Then after a few seconds the dots appeared, one a second or so, and the screen unlocked. I pressed the Home Screen button, and after a few more seconds the Home Screen appeared.

I got to the Apps section, and uninstalled Pandora. I rebooted the Kindle, and everything was normal. I have had no problems since I uninstalled Pandora.

Maybe it was an interaction with Pandora, or maybe it runs in the background and got confused when I left my home WiFi network. I am not sure what happened exactly, but when something radically unexpected happens I have to think it was the most-recent change that caused it, especially since my main use for my Kindle is reading books.

Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied (C++ In-Depth Series)
Price: $41.07

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this if you're interested in (or required to develop) C++ templates, April 2, 2014
I wish I had got this book before I started working in a template-heavy library I am partly responsible for. Well-presented, thorough and readable at the same time (it probably helps that I am really familiar with the subject by now.)

The World Atlas of Wine, 7th Edition
The World Atlas of Wine, 7th Edition
by Hugh Johnson
Price: $38.46
99 used & new from $19.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on wine, April 2, 2014
We saw an older edition of this book at our (now defunct) favorite wine shop. Not only is the regional map section great, there are sections on the history of wine and other subjects.

I'm sure my wife would say the section on Northern California is lacking more info on Amador, but I'd say the work as a whole is incredibly-detailed, and very much worth getting.

Flixster
Flixster

5.0 out of 5 stars Great app (both iPhone and Kindle), April 2, 2014
This review is from: Flixster (App)
I especially like the Rotten Tomatoes rating system. (And I really miss the Rotten Tomatoes TV show.) Concise plot summaries, reviews available (both critics' and regular people's), Previews if I want to watch.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5