Profile for A Voice Teacher > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A Voice Teacher RSS Feed (Texas)

Yonka PAMPLEMOUSSE PS - Protective and Vitalizing Cream for Normal to Dry Skin (1.7 oz)
Offered by QskinZone
Price: $36.99
28 used & new from $32.72

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, October 24, 2014
Moisturizing, but very perfume-y. If you are sensitive to scent, stay away.

The Vocal Arts Workbook + DVD: A practical course for developing the expressive range of your voice. (Performance Books) (v. 1)
by David Carey
Price: $26.91
44 used & new from $15.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Practical Voicework, June 3, 2009
This is a great book to have on hand regardless of whether you have read a million voice books or none. The authors have organized it beautifully, and included a DVD that shows just how to do the exercises that are harder to explain. I really liked the way that they credited the sources of the exercise work, and recommended further reading.

As a teacher, I found it very helpful that they gave a ball-park timing of how long each exercise may take. They also point out things to watch for in your students as they are going through the work.

This is an amazing book, I get a lot of use out of it! Very user friendly and practical.

Deep Play
Deep Play
by Diane Ackerman
Price: $10.64
87 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this woman, March 4, 2002
This review is from: Deep Play (Paperback)
Ackerman is like that great friend of yours that is always throwing interesting facts your way to inspire you. She is so smart and at the same time she is playful and fun. After reading any of her works, I always find myself looking at the world a little closer.
Enjoy this book- it should be on the shelf of every creative artist.

Monkeys
Monkeys
by Susan Minot
Price: $12.34
121 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This book gets great reviews???, March 4, 2002
This review is from: Monkeys (Paperback)
Seven Children in this family- all indistinguishable from one another. I had high hopes after reading "Evening" and seeing all the great press for "Rapture". But this novel ended up being one of the most disappointing reads I have had all year.

Flesh And Blood
Flesh And Blood
by Michael Cunningham
206 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Read all of his books, January 21, 2000
This review is from: Flesh And Blood (Paperback)
This being one of Cunningham's earlier books, I wasn't expecting much. But this book surpirsed me. It was brilliant in its portayal of the different levels family operates on, The strain of past events that are never fully delt with. Cunningham in this three generation saga presents a cast of characters that are each deep enough to have thier own books written about them. I found myself identifying with all of them at different times. No one here is purely bad, though they sometimes are miserable to one another. Cunningham's prose is so lovely. There is alot in here about the way peoples designs for thier lives come in conflict with the reality. (who can't identify with that). I have now read all three of Cunningham's books, and I have to say its a three way tie as to which is my favorite- can't wait to read the next one!

Three Days of Rain and Other Plays: Three Days of Rain; The American Plan; The Author's Voice; Hurrah at Last
by Richard Greenberg
Price: $11.98
73 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw the Steppenwolf Production, January 13, 2000
I saw the same production at Steppenwolf- what great writing. These characters are smart! Its a tight little peice, about our pasts, and what we know about our parents, being an artists. All of those big themes- you'd think it would be cumbersome. But this is a great play- can't wait to see what the regional theatres do with it, and can't wait to read more by Greenburg.

Philosopher Kings
Philosopher Kings
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $9.99
128 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Urban jazzy sound, January 13, 2000
This review is from: Philosopher Kings (Audio CD)
I bought this CD after hearing that the Philosopher Kings were Michelle Shocked's back-up band for her New Years Show here in NYC. They have a great sound. Its light, urban, jazzy and modern. Think background music for a cocktail party. If you enjoy this music, but want a harder edge, try "Lake Trout".

Cover Girl
Cover Girl
Price: $11.39
188 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island Disk, January 13, 2000
This review is from: Cover Girl (Audio CD)
I bought this disk in a pawn shop in Georgia after hearing her play at an arts festival. This is the perfect disk to pop in your headset when you are feeling small in a big world. Shawn somehow manages to sound strong and vulnerable at the same time. It is renewing. I wasn't ever interested in her billboard music, but this album is straight from the heart. Her covers of "You're going to make me lonesome when you go", and "Home" (the Talking Heads song). ARe especially good. Buy this album even if you have nothing like this in your CD collection, it will become a favorite.

Fall on Your Knees.
Fall on Your Knees.
by Ann-Marie MacDonald
90 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good- as far as though family sagas go, January 13, 2000
This review is from: Fall on Your Knees. (Paperback)
These sweeping family sagas usually leave me dry- they go in and out of being capitivating. When they are interesting, they are very interesting, but when they are bad they are horrid! This one makes up for it by alot of interesting prose. It is very rich in metaphor. I think she is a strong writer, and I will definately check out her other work. She loses a star here for sentimentality, and although I primarily read women authors, there was a bit to much estrogen here.

New World Order
New World Order
Price: $15.29
70 used & new from $0.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack for a mellow evening, January 13, 2000
This review is from: New World Order (Audio CD)
I just found out that Curtis Mayfield passed away. This was my first Mayfield album, and its a great intro to the artist. I first thought that it would be dated and retro, but my restaurant in Manhatten plays it in the background. It has a great groove to it, and is really modern. SInce this album, I have bought two others of his. Oh- Aretha sings on one of the songs, so thats a great plus.